Photo

Crystal Palace

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jonathan Cummings

jonathan Cummings

• 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 12:53

Was wondering if any of you had a copy of 100 Great Sporting Moments the one which features The Osram Saloon Car Championship in 1971 broadcasted in 1983/4? There must be loads of footage floating about of Crystal Palace Motor Racing Circuit, wonder where it all is?

Advertisement

#2 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 13:20

..... and a real tough place to race in GPL !!!

#3 James Page

James Page

• 368 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 13:35

Keir, my first thought on seeing the title of this thread was how Crystal Palace is (for some reason) one of my favourite GPL tracks!

One bit of footage that must still exist is that of James Hunt flooring Dave Morgan after their last-corner coming-together in 1969.

#4 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 13:46

I just can't get that downhill right hander leading onto the back straight !!! :(

#5 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 14:25

I think I have both of those on tape. BBC coverage from the'Palace seems to have been excellent. I saw very little of it as I went to most of the meetings covered.Sadly before I had a VCR.Also I have footage I shot myself on 8mm 1961-66,now copied onto VHS,but have yet to discover how to connect VCR to PC to copy onto DVD!
Also on video is black & white film of first motor race televised anywhere -London GP 1937.

#6 rwhitworth

rwhitworth

• 145 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 14:35

Originally posted by Rob29
Also I have footage I shot myself on 8mm 1961-66,now copied onto VHS,but have yet to discover how to connect VCR to PC to copy onto DVD!

I have successfully transferred 8mm to DVD simply by projecting it and filming it with a camcorder. Works reasonably well. I'd be happy to do if for you if you need help.

I lived near Crystal Palace 1974-75... sadly just after the circuit closed. I did enjoy walking around it, though.

#7 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 16:40

The footage of the F3 race at CP (in the 100 Great Sporting Moments) does indeed show a glimpse of Hunt-on-Morgan pugilistic action but, if I recall correctly, misses the actual coming-together. The camera pans rapidly back along the track in response to some outside stimulus, to the damaged cars coming to rest and the drivers' out-of-car confrontation.

I've long wanted to see the Thomas-Crabtree-Marshall saloon dice again, but as yet have not found it.

#8 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 16:54

I have both the Gerry Marshall/Osram saloon race, and the Hunt/Morgan F3 race from the "100 Greatest Sporting Moments" series, on video. The Beeb did miss the Hunt/Morgan accident, but caught them squaring up to each other.

#9 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 20:19

Originally posted by Rob29
Also I have footage I shot myself on 8mm 1961-66,now copied onto VHS, but have yet to discover how to connect VCR to PC to copy onto DVD!

Easiest answer and something you will need in not too distant future is a DVD recorder rather than DVD player. Mine was only £99 and works a treat. Simply hook up your VCR (playing the tape you want) to the DVD recorder via scart lead and press record! VHS tapes and VHS players will no doubt be obsolete in a couple of years. Anything you record from TV can be recorded straight to DVD disc and far easier to find recordings (which you can title yourself on screen with the remote control) rather than spooling through the VHS tapes! Just like a music CD, you can go straight to the 'track' you want.

#10 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:40

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson

Easiest answer and something you will need in not too distant future is a DVD recorder rather than DVD player. Mine was only £99 and works a treat. Simply hook up your VCR (playing the tape you want) to the DVD recorder via scart lead and press record! VHS tapes and VHS players will no doubt be obsolete in a couple of years. Anything you record from TV can be recorded straight to DVD disc and far easier to find recordings (which you can title yourself on screen with the remote control) rather than spooling through the VHS tapes! Just like a music CD, you can go straight to the 'track' you want.

Thanks,Andrew,that makes sense.I did not realise they had come down in price that much and was putting off getting one.
Only thing it will give me a lot of work to to.Apart from the ex 8mm and some from a VHS-C camera, with stuff recorded of TV since 1981 I have 141 mostly 6hr tapes to copy!

#11 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:19

I too have a vast amount of recorded material. I've transferred to 50 DVDs so far starting from my first VHS and still in the 1980s! As I work away in the studio it works away in the background, although I do have to stop working of course to stop the recording and start again as one race finishes and another begins. I record on DVD+RW discs, on which a recording can be wiped or added to. The recordings can be made on the DVDs in high quality (HQ), short play (SP), long play (LP), extra play (EP), extra play plus (EP+). Although tempting to record at extra play to squeeze around 5 hours on one DVD, don't. The quality really drops off. I've done most in LP ( around 3 hours) although stuff I know I will watch again and again at SP. You can mix the quality of each recording on each disc.
Argos were doing a spindle of 25 DVD discs for £17 and Tescos do packs of 5 DVD cases for 97p!
I then print a simple index/contents cover on the PC.

You might save a little shelf space due to the size of the DVD case in comparison to VHS, but as I said before the real beauty is being able to insert a disc and select straight away the race you want to see. Apparantly though, Gary C might be able to confirm here, some recordings on DVD can 'fade away' over time. I will therefore box all of the tapes up and keep them safe.

#12 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:01

I'm not sure why the DVD would 'fade away'. I know as time goes by, your tape will degrade much more quickly. They reckon DVDs have a life of about 100 years or so, but of course, they've not been around long enough to prove this theory.

Rob29 - I'd suggest recording from DVD straight from your 8mm footage. Recording to VHS loses 2/3rds of the original quality as it only records about 275 of the lines (whereas standard TV is 625 lines). As far as I know, DVD Recorders record all 625 lines.

#13 h4887

h4887

• 936 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 19:17

Originally posted by Keir
..... and a real tough place to race in GPL !!!

Just done a 50.8. Is that any good?

#14 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,623 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 23:01

I have a rather grainy VHS copy of the saloon car race on tape.