Photo

Things to do at Silverstone

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mischa Bijenhof

Mischa Bijenhof

• 306 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:59

I'll be attending the British Grand Prix next month. Since it's my first time at Silvertsone, I was wondering if there's anything worth sightseeing. Surely a museum of some sort?

Advertisement

#2 James Page

James Page

• 364 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 14:13

I think you might be disappointed on that scoreā€¦

It might have changed in recent years, but there was certainly nothing along those lines the last time I was there.

#3 Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

• 256 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 14:39

Definitely no musem... :(

#4 LB

LB

• 12,483 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 14:43

Well Donington is about 50 miles up the M1 but other than that there is no Museum that I can think of.

#5 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 15:12

There is a good motorsport bookshop on the estate

#6 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,566 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 15:50

Originally posted by LB
Well Donington is about 50 miles up the M1 but other than that there is no Museum that I can think of.

As you are coming over from Nijmegen the extra mileage up to Mr Wheatcroft's museum is only a short journey extra, and very well worth it . I am sure that you will not be disappointed. It is a marvellous collection. There is also the Gaydon museum just off the M42, if that sort of thing interests you.

RL

#7 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 620 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 20:56

I definitely recommend the Gaydon Heritage Motor Centre.
Silverstone itself is short on extra attractions, and the village of Silverstone is just that - a village.

I've not been to the Donington museum , but Donington is super-easy to find.

#8 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 22:30

Originally posted by bradbury west

I am sure that you will not be disappointed. It is a marvellous collection.

RL

In my humble opinion ..........One of a kind !!!
Photgraphic Nostalgia Heaven

#9 kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer

• 479 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:21

Likewise, I never tire of visiting the Donington Collection. Whatever your era there's bound to be something for you. There's no problem with taking photographs either. I noticed last time that they had a children's Lotus F1 pedal car for sale with photographic proof that Clark had sat in it! I think they were wanting 4,500 if I remember correctly. I must check out Gaydon. I've never had time to stop so far. I'll try and visit on my way down to the Festival of Speed.

#10 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,659 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:36

Originally posted by kevthedrummer
Likewise, I never tire of visiting the Donington Collection. Whatever your era there's bound to be something for you. There's no problem with taking photographs either. I noticed last time that they had a children's Lotus F1 pedal car for sale with photographic proof that Clark had sat in it! I think they were wanting 4,500 if I remember correctly. I must check out Gaydon. I've never had time to stop so far. I'll try and visit on my way down to the Festival of Speed.

For a motor racing fan the Donington Collection is by far the best on offer. Gaydon is OK however there are not that many racing exhibits. Of the two my vote would go to Donington! :love:

#11 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:56

So, to summarise...

Things to do at Silverstone:

1/ Go to Donington.

2/ Go to Gaydon.

Couldn't agree more.

#12 kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer

• 479 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 13:09

:rotfl:

#13 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,566 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 13:41

Gaydon

Do we know whether the Lightweight Special is still there, and if so for how long??

Roger Lund

#14 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,659 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 13:58

Gaydon

Do we know whether the Lightweight Special is still there, and if so for how long??

Roger Lund

I was there in November last year and it was still on display!
:wave:

#15 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,210 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 17:49

Gaydon

Roger Lund

The Hill Climb has started ... it may be away on duty.

#16 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,887 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 17:53

Originally posted by Twin Window
So, to summarise...

Things to do at Silverstone:

1/ Go to Donington.

2/ Go to Gaydon.

Couldn't agree more.

You forgot the bookshop at Silverstone - you could have added buy something to read during the GP!!

There will no doubt be a load of temporary stalls and things to see/do at Silverstone itself over the weekend - last time I was there (doing a GP support race) one of these stands was the only place you could actually get close to something like a current F1 car.

#17 kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer

• 479 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 15:06

I went to the GP last year after a 12 year absence and was thoroughly disappointed by the merchandise on offer. I guess small independednt stalls aren't in keeping with the image of the sport anymore, which is a shame. Just rows of shops selling the same 'Official Merchandise'. How dull. ):

#18 Rockford

Rockford

• 421 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 16:26

Originally posted by kevthedrummer
I went to the GP last year after a 12 year absence and was thoroughly disappointed by the merchandise on offer. I guess small independednt stalls aren't in keeping with the image of the sport anymore, which is a shame. Just rows of shops selling the same 'Official Merchandise'. How dull. ):

Couldn't agree more - I went last year after a 20+ year gap and was very sad to see the state of the merchandise - all very boring and standardised. Nobody giving out JPS stickers or Ensign posters or anything!

#19 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,619 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 17:38

After a lapse of 20 years, I went to the British 'F1' race 2 years ago (although in the interim I have visited Silverstone on countless occasions for other catagories of racing). Even with a guest pass to the infield, there was b....r all for the serious enthusiast to be entertained by - all the marketing opportunities were for the same 'official' F1 trash. You could, however, have admired the Maserati one-make series cars, driven by European businessmen you've never heard of (and Jodie Kidd!) and, tucked away, as far out of sight as Bernie could push them, the 50s Sports Cars.

There was a large throng of teenagers wearing football shirts star-spotting outside the Paddock Club.

There wasn't even a bookstall, although, as Mr McKinney says, Chris Knapman's shop has permanent premises at the circuit.

Advertisement

#20 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,524 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 20:20

Things to do at Silverstone?? Are you mad ?????

#21 Chris Bloom

Chris Bloom

• 603 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 20:38

If you head south a bit you could find yourself ending up at Brooklands. I guess it's probably 70 or 80 miles away from Silverstone, maybe less. I actually stayed relatively sober (i.e. more sober than most of the other 364 days ;) ) on a New Years Eve a few years back when I was visiting the UK as I was due to visit Brooklands on New Years Day. Not only a great collection of cars, bikes, planes and even pushbikes but also the opportunity to walk along part of the famous banking. Oh yeah a few days later I also went to The Donnington Collection. WOW and more WOW!

My advice, go and see both! Don't worry about the British GP, I promise you won't miss anything ;)