Photo

Maserati's Itala Hispano Suiza special

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rbm

rbm

• 291 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:17

Having recently read about Maserati's Itala special fitted with a Hispano Suiza aero engine. Knowing nothing about these engines I was wondering how they lost the extra cylinders?

Advertisement

#2 robert dick

robert dick

• 936 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:33

See :
http://forums.autosp...ghlight=italone
and
http://winfield.50me...HissoEngine.htm

#3 rbm

rbm

• 291 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:59

cheers

#4 m9a3r5i7o2n

m9a3r5i7o2n

• 241 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 16:34

ITALONE;
The bore and stroke of the two engines makes the small four cylinder 358 cubic inches and the larger engines 573 cubic inches. Somehow I have some reservation about someone putting a derived 300 h.p. in a race car, altho many of the cars were of a very large size. These engines also had very deep crankcases and that might have done something about that also.
All of the engines had dual magnetos.

I have the U.S.A. Army engine manual with all the pictures of this engine and one thing that really stands out is the crudeness of the cam lobes. That plus the siamesed intake ports may have caused the engine to have a short r.p.m. range. It also had only one single barrel carburetor and no separation of the right and left banks to divide the engine into two separate four cylinders engines as did the 1930-31-32 Oakland- Pontiac V-8.

One of the things that is very apparent is that the exhaust pipes come out of either the left or right sides of the cars. So there doesn’t seem to be very much appreciation for tilting the engines one way or the other.

These engines were also made by the Wright Corporation in Patterson New Jersey U.S.A. by the thousands some people claiming that Wright made half of the Hissos manufactured. I haven’t seen any figures to verify just who made how many or even any figures to verify the numbers. One place stating that 25,000 were made worldwide. The 49,000 mentioned in one of the places is a very very large number for an engine of this type and although this was done in wartime one would have a very difficult or impossible time justifying this number.

Many aircraft used this engine such as the SPAD 7 &13, plus the British Se5a and others too numerous to mention.

Wolseley of Birmingham put 8 counterweights on some of their engines to alleviate some of the vibration of the 180 degrees crank. It is my belief that they were on the verge of going to a 90 degrees crank but fortunately the ending of WW-1 stopped the killing and the manufacture of any better cranks and engines. According to the book,” BRITISH PISTON AERO-ENGINES” these engines, W-4A Viper & W-4B Adder had the balanced crank weights on page 232. The picture of the crank on the following address is not bolted on and therefore I don’t know if it was a Wolseley crank or not.

http://winfield.50me...HissoEngine.htm

M. L. Anderson