Photo

Book recommendation - Maserati Birdcage

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Tmeranda

Tmeranda

• 605 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 18:26

Anyone know of an afordable book on this type?

Advertisement

#2 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 20:31

I bought the Oosthoek book on the tipo 63 64 & 65. at £80 it was not affordable!

It's very good for these rear engined cars, with chassis histories on each, but at the price I felt it should really have covered the front engined cars as well. (Perhaps there will be a sister volume on the front engined cars?)

I know, he'll never make back the money to cover the time researching the subject........

Can't think of another book specifically on these cars published recently, but I'm sure there have been in the past. also covered in more general Maserati titles

#3 tam999

tam999

• 87 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 20:46

Joel Finn's "Maserati Birdcage" book sounds like what you want. It was originally published in 1980 and I bought it sometime in the 80s for $23.95 at a booth at the Monterey Historics. Isn't there a new paperback edition of it out? (Or is that the Testa Rossa book?)

tam999

#4 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 21:27

Originally posted by tam999
Joel Finn's "Maserati Birdcage" book sounds like what you want. It was originally published in 1980 and I bought it sometime in the 80s for $23.95 at a booth at the Monterey Historics. Isn't there a new paperback edition of it out? (Or is that the Testa Rossa book?)

tam999

The Testa Rossa book came out as a very nice softcover reprint recently (I have a copy). There doesn't seem to be a reprint of the Birdcage book - yet... (Both his Maserati books are well into three figures in most respectable currencies....)

#5 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 00:16

There are usually a few book stalls at Road America for the BRIC (Brian Redman Int'l Challenge).
I have several good items in them at fairly realistic prices.

#6 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 00:54

Tmeranda just for fun I went to Amazon.com. The Finn book is a mere $300 there. It seems to have gone up since Tam bought his for $23.95. Willem Oosthoek's book is listed at $140. Dave may be right about finding a good deal at a book stand at a race meet or Vintage racecar swap meet. I know in California there is a meet called Pomona they hold it once a month and they have nearly everything you would want. It is more for hot rods and street machines than race cars however. If you want a very reasonable read on the Birdcage, Willem Oosthoek has an 8 page feature coming out in the Next edition of Vintage Motorsport magazine. I am sure you will enjoy it. He just did a great story on a Jaguar called the rivet car. His work is always top notch. The article will be about the Tipo 60 and tipo 61 Maseratis.

#7 Tmeranda

Tmeranda

• 605 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:27

Thanks Jerry, It was the prices on Amazon that caused me to start this thread. Thanks for the heads up on the magazine article. I'll be sure to get it.

#8 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 17:50

Tmeranda et all:

I strongly suggest you check out the 1/18 model of the Maserati Birdcage they are offering for sale.
Secondly, I have bought bunches from these guy...books, DVDs, etc. through the mail and at their stall at Road America.

http://www.motorcollector.com

#9 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 18:20

http://www.motorspor.../indexcopy.html
The Motorsport Collector . do you mean that one ?? there some of those maserati book on ABEbook too

#10 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 18:52

Philippe:

That would be the one. I just got an email bulletin from them that contained the Birdcage photos.

It the same company, but your page is different from the one I got when I clicked on the http://www. one in their ad?

#11 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 18:53

Never mind, click on latest news/additions...

#12 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:02

At the moment no T60/61 books. I once bought both of Finns books , and sold them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One of the most silly things I ever did! Today used prices are crazy. Hopefully Bollee and Oosthoek would make a new. May I suggest you search the net , there is really a lot to be found!! I did
Regards Bjørn Kjer

#13 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 23:44

Willem Oosthoek's article called the Caged Lion came out today in Vintage Motorsport and it is very good. It is all about the Tipo 60 and 61 Maserati's. There is also another article in the magazine about the 1960 Maserati Tipo 61 by Ted West. This is the July/August 2006 magazine with the Tipo 61 on the cover.

#14 L'Autista

L'Autista

• 29 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:39

I found something that may be of interest during a quick scan of the local motoring bookstore's website in Australia. "BIRDCAGE TO SUPERCAGE: MASERATI TIPO 63 64 65" is the title but there is not much more info on the book. However it must be available abroad as well! (it's AU$250 at www.techbooks.com.au).

#15 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:28

That book L'Autista is by Willem Oosthoek and covers the Birdcage saga from 1959-1965. It has about 350 pictures in it and is a very nice book. Highly recommened. As I said above Willem has a very good piece in the current Vintage Motorsport Magazine that is a must read. As the title says it deals mostly with the rear engined cars.

#16 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 16:23

Sorry , I MUST correct you , the book by Oosthoek is covering the T63-64-65 NOT the T60 -61!!!!
It does however tell about the first Birdcage which was front-engined , and it tell about the competitors , but the MAIN subject is as the title says !!!!(they were rear-engined!!!

Regards Bjørn

PS I do think thats very important!

#17 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 18:08

Bjorn: I never said Willem's book covered the Tipo 60 - Tipo 61. I said the article he wrote for Vintage Motorsports does. Read what I said again. I say his article is a must read. Very good issue of the magazine also has nice article on Phil Hill in it. And a nice article on the Collier Collection. Willem's article is called the Caged Lion. Sorry if I said something that was confusing. The title of Willem's book tells you that it is about the rear engined cars.

#18 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 19:55

:wave: Hey Jerry , I just wanted to make sure nobody misunderstood your words "covers the Birdcage saga" from 1959-1965 when that not quite is the case. The first T63 muletto was tried late in 60 and it s first real test and race was in Sebring 61, which I am sure you know.
Regards Bjørn
PS In my opinion a Maserati Birdcage is a T60/61 at first, so if people are looking for those types this is not the book to buy!

#19 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 21:33

Bjorn:The first chapter of the Birdcage book is dedicated to all front-engined Birdcages from 1959,with a good number of photos and all chassis numbers listed with their first owners. It just doesn't list every single race they were in like it does the T63/64/65. In addition,all Tipo 60/61's that entered races where rear- engined Birdcages participated from Sebring 1961 on are dealt with as well. It would not be possible to deal with the rear engine Birdcages without dealing with the history of the front engined cars. They are in chapter one. This particular book is about the rear engined cars however. I agree with you on that.

Advertisement

#20 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:01

:wave: Hi Jerry , well, I think we both know what is needed : A book on the T60/61! Many have asked for it and it would be really nice if the 2 Finn books were to have agian at normal prices !
Or if Oosthoek would make a companion to his big one , because with the T151 book by Bollee and Oosthoek we have the Maserati story well covered from 59(57) till 65 ! Aggree?
Bjørn

#21 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:28

Bjorn: With the cost of buying pictures and publishing a book now a days. I doubt anyone could make a book again that could sell for $23.95. However, If you told me you were getting it produced in China I would believe they could do it. I also agree that it would be nice if someone could figure out a way to bring the price down on these type books. Who can afford $300 for a book no matter how good it is. I have not seen the Finn book but I am assuming it is very nice. Must be for $300. If you do a search on the internet you will see a few older Birdcage books have been written. Sadly they are in Italian only. I myself speak one language only and it isn't Italian. Here is a joke. What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? He is triligual. What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? He is bilingual. What do you call someone who speaks one language? American, that's me.

#22 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:42

It is NOT and NEVER 300 dollars worth ! But of cause if youre a millionaire........

#23 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 21:13

Hello Jerry ,nice one ,could be used elsewhere! But dont despair....you have yours , I have mine ;
you talk to your neighbour (CDN), I to mine (Germany) and we both go on the TNF : You use one language , I have to use 3! Regards Bjørn (on the post BJORN , on the e-mail BJOERN, in Germany
Bjo¨rn(2 dots over the "o"), in Aussie land Brian and directly translated Bear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:cat:
I think its a bear.

#24 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 14:23

Can't we expect a book from Oosthoek on the Tipo 60/61 soon?

He brought out the 450 S and 151 books quite rapid after his 63-65 book. Albeit with help from Mr. Bollee!
I guess a reprint from Joel Finn could be realistic as the TR reprint is a success. At least I hear a lot of (young) Ferrari afficionado bought the TR reprint (me as well :D )

#25 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 22:16

Arjan: Willem says to read the magazine article he just wrote. That is as close as he is coming to making a front engined book. With the cost of publishing now and the price of research and buying pictures to make a book now would be very hard.

#26 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:29

:wave: If you still look for Birdcages , then apart from the great book on normal and Supercages by Willem Oosthoek , Michel Bollee has the LUCKY book on Camoradi with a lot of pics.

#27 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 13:30

I spoke to Michel Bollee at Le Mans Classic. I also mentioned the current lack of a available Tipo 60/61 book. He did not have anything in the pipeline but guessed than Willem Oosthoek would be a good candidate to do it, considering his knowledge and photo archive. Also learned that Finn's reprint book on the Ferrari Testa Rossa's was in fact a scan of the original. Didnt notice. Still could be a good idea to do his Maser books as well for the younger generations.

#28 Tmeranda

Tmeranda

• 605 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 15:23

Originally posted by Jerry Entin
Arjan: Willem says to read the magazine article he just wrote. That is as close as he is coming to making a front engined book. With the cost of publishing now and the price of research and buying pictures to make a book now would be very hard.

Where was this article published? Need to get a copy.

#29 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 16:59

Willem's article is in the July/August 2006 edition of Vintage Motorsport. It has a 1960 Maserati Tipo 61 on the cover. Willem's article is entitled Caged Lion Maserati Tipo 60/61 History. Excellent article. To get the magazine go to www.vintagemotorsport.com

#30 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:06

Thanks Jerry :up:

#31 aldo

aldo

• 135 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:22

A basic knowledge of Italian could drive, free of charge, to a cornerstone document on the Birdcage, written by Giulio Alfieri himself and explaining how and why the Birdcage came out like it is.
The text, from his conference held on April 30, 1988 for Aisa (the Italian Association of Motor Historians) can be downloaded from the Aisa Website www.aisastoryauto.com clicking on "Monografie" in the navigation menu, and opening no. 3.

Everyone with some knowledge of Italian will fond a treasure of information in the Monografie section of our Website. We recently uploaded no. 16 about Tazio Nuvolari: a text full of unknown and unpublished facts and anectodes from the voice of witnesses like Marquis Brivio, Nello Ugolini, Rudolf Hruska, Sergio Scapinelli, i.e. the Ferrari mechanic riding with him in the 1948 Mille Miglia, etc.

A final note, slightly off topic. The motor car having been invented in Europe, a historian has to have a decent command of four languages (English, German, French, Italian) to catch documents as close as possible to the source. Easier said than done!

#32 Tmeranda

Tmeranda

• 605 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 18:47

Jerry,

Many thanks.

Aldo,

If only my Italian was better!

#33 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 248 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 14:07

Originally posted by Jerry Entin
Willem's article is in the July/August 2006 edition of Vintage Motorsport. It has a 1960 Maserati Tipo 61 on the cover. Willem's article is entitled Caged Lion Maserati Tipo 60/61 History. Excellent article. To get the magazine go to www.vintagemotorsport.com

Willem Oosthoek's Caged Lions (Part 1) is now on the SpeedTV site:
http://www.speedtv.c...ifestyle/38099/

#34 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 17:13

Seppi: Here is part 2 of the story Willem did. Caged Lions part 2.
www.speedtv.com/articles/lifestyle/automotive/38166

#35 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:32

:wave: Thanks to Speedtv , Jerry,"Seppi" and of course Willem Oosthoek !

#36 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 14:48

Can't we expect a book from Oosthoek on the Tipo 60/61 soon?

Yes we can. It is well underway, and last I heard should be out sometime late this summer. I for one eagerly look forward to it, as Willem's books on the T-63, 64, 65s; 450-S; and T-151 were must haves for anyone with an interest in that era's sports racers.
Tom

#37 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 15:03

It is fun to read this thread again . 3 years ago I was new to the forum , and in post 12 hope for a new Birdcage book ,
which not many believed to happen , but now it is very close. Wvauuwww!

#38 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 14:41

Bjorn: Tom is right. It is more then close. Here are the details of Willem Oosthoek and Michel Bollee's new Birdcage book:

DALTON WATSON FINE BOOKS
Maserati Tipo 60 and 61;
"The Magnificent Front-engined Birdcages"

Authors Willem Oosthoek and Michel Bollée
ISBN-13 978-1-85443-238-4
Publication Date September 2009
Page Size 330 mm x 240 mm. 344 pages.

Hard cover with dust jacket.
Illustrations: 275 black and white, and 140 color photographs

Almost 30 years have passed since the publication of the first book about the famous Tipo 60 and 61 Birdcage Maserati race cars. A new, more comprehensive description of their competition history has been long overdue and Dalton Watson Fine Books are delighted to announce the publication of Maserati Tipo 60 and 61; The Magnificent Front-engined Birdcages. Much additional information has come to light in the last two decades which has enabled the authors, Willem Oosthoek and Michel Bollée, to include numerous updates, corrections, and further elaboration regarding the history of this innovative design.

In 1959, while Ferrari and Aston Martin battled for supremacy in the World Sports Car Championship, Maserati returned to the racing scene with an amazing sports racer, revolutionary in concept: the 2-liter Tipo 60. The car received the nickname ‘Birdcage’ because of the design of its chassis and was immediately successful. The 3-liter version, the Tipo 61, appeared soon after, in response to demand from the many private owners and drivers determined to make the Ferraris eat dust. Twenty-two front-engined Birdcage Maseratis campaigned in a vast number of races during the nine-year period between 1959 and 1967. Light and fast, by 1967 they had accumulated almost 170 victories. The new book is a complete history of the car during those years and, for the first time, includes the many Birdcage appearances in European events.

Part 1 of the book covers each individual year, divided in segments on World Championship, North American and European events. Part 2 portrays the individual race history of each chassis number, as well as the owner sequence over the years. At the end of the book each driver is linked to the specific chassis number[s] of the Birdcages in which he competed.

The authors have had the benefit of input by many personalities involved in the early history of the Birdcage Maseratis, both drivers and car owners. The book contains first-hand anecdotes, the result of interviews with Bill Krause [the 1960 Times Grand Prix victor, who also wrote the Introduction], Chuck Daigh, Jim Jeffords and many more. In addition, making the book come alive visually are the great images taken by professional photographers such as Flip Schulke and Bob Tronolone, and photographs from the personal collections of the owners and drivers, many of them previously unpublished.

Residing in Weddington, North Carolina, Willem Oosthoek is a retired international banker and a lifelong Maserati aficionado. As historian of The Maserati Club in the US he has written numerous articles for its magazine Il Tridente. His articles have also been published in Vintage Motorsport, VintageRacecar Journal, Motor Sport, Prancing Horse, Der Dreizack and Sports Car International. Oosthoek’s 2004 book Birdcage to Supercage is the defining history of the rear-engined Birdcage Maseratis. He is a recognized authority on the subject, often consulted by private owners, museums and auction houses.

Michel Bollée was born in Le Mans, the cradle of the motorcar. His knowledge and passion for motor racing are evident in his previous published books: Maserati aux 24 Heures du Mans, Lucky, l’Histoire de Camoradi et de Lucky Casner, Les 1000 Kilomètres de Paris, Le Mans 1970–1980, Le Mans 1960–1969 and Les 12 Heures de Reims 1963–1967and Le Mans 1957. This book is the third written with his friend Willem Oosthoek, following Maserati 450S and Maserati Tipo 151.

Publishers: Dalton Watson Fine Books Price: US$150/₤95
Orders: The book may be purchased from automotive book retailers or from
www.daltonwatson.com

For further information and sample pages please visit www.daltonwatson.com Dalton Watson Fine Books, Deerfield, Illinois 60015, USA
Telephone: (1) 847 945 0568,
email: info@daltonwatson.com

Edited by Jerry Entin, 23 May 2009 - 14:43.

#39 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:17

Posted Image
Here is what the cover of the new Birdcage book will look like.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 25 May 2009 - 01:17.

Advertisement

#40 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:31

Well, I will continue to support Willem in the lifestyle to which he has become accustomed on the outskirts of the Queen City, blowing my book budget as usual in one fell swoop....

#41 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 13:31

Posted Image
Back Cover of new Birdcage book
The #33 Birdcage picture showing Scotty Beckett's Birdcage is by Forum member Tom Schultz.
Forum member Bjorn will like the fact they had a Birdcage hanging from the roof of their trailer.

Don:

Many thanks for supporting my lifestyle in NASCAR country. Please drop by on your next trip to Pineville.

The cover shot was taken during the 1962 Targa Florio, where chassis 2466 was driven by Vincenzo and Antonio Riolo of Palermo, only to retire half a lap from the finish. The car's extended fuel intake behind the driver indicates that this was the former Giovanni Volpi Tipo 60 with its factory headrest removed.

By the way, it must be mentioned that TNF contributor Alessandro Silva has been a tremendous help in cataloguing all Birdcage appearances in the most obscure Italian hill climbs between 1960 and 1967.

Willem Oosthoek

Edited by Jerry Entin, 25 May 2009 - 18:11.

#42 ERault

ERault

• 336 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 19:18

Wonderful news, I can't wait to get the book. What's next ? The 200 SI would be nice, with a successful life on the italian mountains, and an interesting if less rewarding (and even less covered) career in the US.

#43 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 19:53

ERault:
I agree that a book on the complete competition history of the Maserati 200SI/250 would be a logical next step, but I am afraid that it will have to wait. Nevertheless, the American history of these cars will be partially covered in my next project, the history of Road Racing in the Southern U.S., from 1957 up to and including 1963. The Southern U.S. is defined here as every SCCA and USAC event held from New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma, to Alabama, Georgia and Florida, within that time frame.

With the Hall/Shelby agency in Dallas a major Maserati dealer in 1957, a large number of 200SI/250 cars competed in the South, with drivers such as Jim Hall, Bob Ferguson, Jack Hinkle, Hap Sharp, Bobby Aylward, George Koehne, Joe Sheppard, Alan Connell and Gary Laughlin.

This next book will at least provide the history of these cars [the majority in the U.S.] in the South, a major black hole in motorracing history, although their prowess in the Northeast, Midwest and West Coast will not be included.

Willem Oosthoek

Edited by Jerry Entin, 25 May 2009 - 20:17.

#44 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 21:45

That is great news!! Thanks Willem, Michel and Jerry. Of course I want a signed copy (again)! When will you be in Holland Willem?

#45 ERault

ERault

• 336 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:08

Well Willem, with Arjan and I, you have at least two buyers for the next one. Perhaps will I at last know which D Typ Jag was raced by Bob Kingham. And by the way, why start in 1957 ? Some interesting machinery was raced in these states the years before (and that would include my second Jaguar mystery, namely the Loyal Katskee C Typ...).

#46 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 19:18

ERault:

The starting point of 1957 is a pragmatic decision. In the 50s most of the sportscar events in the South were SCCA Regionals and before 1957 the fields were rather thin and lacking in interesting "big-iron", "big modifieds" or whatever you want to call them. The 1955 Eagle Mountain races offered a feature with Carroll Shelby in a butt-ugly Ferrari and one C-type Jag, with production cars filling out the rest of the field. The main contenders for the feature victory at Courtland in 1956 were 300SLs.

Sportscar racing in the South really came off age in 1957, with some credible opposition and interesting fields. Feature winners could be anybody. Ferraris of different sorts: 410S, 375MM, 625TRC, 750 Monza and 857 Monza, 300S and 200SI Maseratis, D-type Jags, Lotus 11s and 550RS Porsches. By 1958 American Specials such as the Mangham-Davis Special offered even more competition and often beat the European exotics.

It also witnessed the increasing popularity of sportscar racing and growth of the number of events around the Southern region, from 22 in 1957, 27 in 1958 to 32 in 1959. Combine that with a lack of Regional coverage in national magazines and even in the local newspapers, and the difficulty of obtaining comprehensive photo coverage of anything pre-1957, and the choice was a logical one if one has a book audience in mind.

As for the citrus grower from Auburndale, Florida, Bob Kingham, his finless D-type is likely to have been XKD 516. Omaha-based Loyal Katskee falls outside of the scope of the book, of course.

Willem Oosthoek

#47 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 22:21

Some interesting machinery was raced in these states the years before (and that would include my second Jaguar mystery, namely the Loyal Katskee C Typ...).

According to Terry Larson's C-Type Register, the Loyal Katskee C type was XKC 030. Photo here:

http://www.racingspo...5-03-13-012.jpg

Does Ed Sutherland still own this car?

Vince H.

#48 ERault

ERault

• 336 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 18:43

Thank you for your answer Willem, you obviously did your homework.

Regarding Katskee's Jag being XKC 030 : at Sebring 1955, I had XKC 030 with Kaplan and Boss (n°14). If 030 is indeed Katskee's (n°12), what were Kaplan and Boss driving ? What do you guys think ?

#49 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:44

Posted Image
Back Cover of new Birdcage book
The #33 Birdcage picture showing Scotty Beckett's Birdcage is by Forum member Tom Schultz.
Forum member Bjorn will like the fact they had a Birdcage hanging from the roof of their trailer.

Don:

Many thanks for supporting my lifestyle in NASCAR country. Please drop by on your next trip to Pineville.

The cover shot was taken during the 1962 Targa Florio, where chassis 2466 was driven by Vincenzo and Antonio Riolo of Palermo, only to retire half a lap from the finish. The car's extended fuel intake behind the driver indicates that this was the former Giovanni Volpi Tipo 60 with its factory headrest removed.

By the way, it must be mentioned that TNF contributor Alessandro Silva has been a tremendous help in cataloguing all Birdcage appearances in the most obscure Italian hill climbs between 1960 and 1967.

Willem Oosthoek

The new book sounds very interesting. Thought I would drop this shot of Walt Hansgen at Indianapolis Raceway Park back in around 1960. Anyone know where I can get entry lists of the races that were held there. I am particularly interested in the USAC race that was held there and also a Pro Sports car race that Augie Pabst won in the Scarab. I can't seem to find any info of those races. Ron
http://img188.images...ltmaser6196.jpgPosted Image

#50 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:25

Regarding Katskee's Jag being XKC 030 : at Sebring 1955, I had XKC 030 with Kaplan and Boss (n°14). If 030 is indeed Katskee's (n°12), what were Kaplan and Boss driving ? What do you guys think ?

This from Terry Larson:

"...Katskee/Wing were certainly in 030 which is now in England with Neil Smith. I am not certain at this time what chassis number the other car is. It is not recorded what car it was and the records do not show anything. I am now working on the D Type Register and have most of the info together. Once that is together I will be going through the info for the C Type Register as the book will also have an update on the C Type register. Hopefully I will be able to find that out..."

Vince H.