Photo

Alex Hawkridge; one of how many?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 20:31

I recall spending a very enjoyable day, many year ago, at Brands Hatch. One of the drivers testing was one Alex Hawkridge, who was very very quick in his Caterham. I found some pictures today that reminded me of it, and then I remebered Steve Nichols raced in F4 (I think) and Adrian Newey had the odd outing, but how many other F1 team members, not known as drivers "dabbled"? I'm not talking about ex drivers who then went into team management, like the Parnells, or Howden Ganley, but designers, engineer types, who decided to have a "play".

Advertisement

#2 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 21:03

Chapman, Broadley,Tyrell, Postlethwaite, McLaren, Brabham, Ferrari, Williams, Uhlenhaut .........

#3 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 21:24

Aerodynamicist Willem Toet's become a top hillclimber over the last decade or so.

#4 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 22:52

Ian Flux ex- Embassy Hill mechanic.

Jim Crawford - not F1 but wasn't he a mechanic on F.Atlantic Chevron's then had a go himself?

#5 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,118 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 13:10

IIRC Steve Nichols did the Classic FF2000 series in a VD RF82. Paul Stoddart was good in his old Tyrrells.

#6 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 13:20

In an interview Keith Duckworth related buying a Lotus 6 kit from Chapman. Having his first race at Goodwood , crashing in to the chicane and having several flower pots of geraniums fall in his lap as a result . He decided on the spot driving was not for him so he would work behind the scenes.

#7 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,118 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 13:33

John Nicholson too, had more than a 'play' at it.

#8 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 17:02

Originally posted by Sharman
Chapman, Broadley,Tyrell, Postlethwaite, McLaren, Brabham, Ferrari, Williams, Uhlenhaut .........

No No, they started as drivers, Newey, according to interviews I did with him never had aspirations to be a driver, but decided to "have a go" after working in the racing industry.

What is Hawkridge doing now??

#9 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 20:23

Robin Herd was a pretty good amateur rally driver, although I think this started at about the same time as his engineering career...

#10 jgm

jgm

• 196 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:46

Tony Southgate races a Sylva Phoenix kit car.

#11 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 14:38

Richard Marshall who was and engineer at Benetton with Willem Toet at one time has also had a long career in hillclimbing with a very hot 205 GTi with all kinds of sensors and logging devices all over it.
Not sure if he's with Renault or not these days.

I remember Alex Hawkridge beating Barry Lee in Caterhams in the earl 90s so definately a talented driver.

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

#12 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 14:39

Originally posted by simonlewisbooks
Richard Marshall who was and engineer at Benetton with Willem Toet at one time has also had a long career in hillclimbing with a very hot 205 GTi with all kinds of sensors and logging devices all over it.
Not sure if he's with Renault or not these days.

Interesting - Willem started out in a 205, did they share it?

#13 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 14:59

Originally posted by petefenelon

Interesting - Willem started out in a 205, did they share it?

Yes they did. Last I saw of it Richard was sharing it with his wife Gill, they may still be running the car in fact.

Simon Lewis
Transort Books
www.simonlewis.com