Photo

Sorry, in advance!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 21:58

If you want to see the dark side of the WWW simply go here and click on the "Guest Book":

http://www.davemacdonald.net/

Pure crap being posted at what "is/could be" a great tribute to Dave MacDonald and his family.

Sorry, I just had to vent! :confused:

Henry

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 22:23

Very strange. Why go to all that unnecessary trouble creating a load of nonsense and causing me, at any rate, to distrust anything else I might find on that site?

#3 David Hyland

David Hyland

• 289 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:50

I think the Guest Book is being spammed. (I think the comment "Add spam protect and be happy" in comment #34 is a hint.) The site administrator could probably delete the 750+ spurious comments, but they'll probably just be replaced by more...

#4 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,488 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:02

Originally posted by David Hyland
The site administrator could probably delete the 750+ spurious comments, but they'll probably just be replaced by more...

This happened to me and I eventually gave up spending the time needed to clear out spam and closed the guestbook. Sadly it seems some have little better to do other than spoil the work of others :down:

#5 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:39

Originally posted by David Hyland
I think the Guest Book is being spammed.

Ah, I see - apologies for my previous post implying that the site owner was doing it. I still don't understand why it's done. :confused:

#6 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 19:45

Originally posted by Tim Murray

Ah, I see - apologies for my previous post implying that the site owner was doing it. I still don't understand why it's done. :confused:

There must be some type of code in the messages. Can not imagine that even the younger folks have that much time on their hands.

Henry

#7 Gerald Swan

Gerald Swan

• 164 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 21:22

Hi guys, I'm having a not dissimilar problem on the Lola Heritage Forum, I've had to clean out nearly 30 rogue members today alone.

The answer seems to be that spybots find Forums and now it seems Guestbooks and automatically register false details. The reason, as I understand it, can be found if you look at their web addresses which are genuine. Google bots check Internet sites for links to other sites and the more they find then the higher that site's ranking is in Google, these children of unmarried parents are therefore using the Forums/Guestbooks to artificially increase the ranking on their site.

It's really depressing to know there is this sort of pond **** out there happily prepared to mess up people's hard work for, presumably, their own financial gain :mad:. Rant over.

Gerald.

www.lolaheritage.co.uk