Photo

Speed on Tweed 2006

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:52

Still four months to go but I thought you might like a little appetiser.

Vern Schuppan has taken over as this years patron.

Henri Pescarolo will be there and so far the list also includes Jim Richards, Fred Gibson, Peter Brock, John Goss, Kevin Bartlett, John French, Denis Geary, Greg Cusack, Bob Holden, and John Bowe .
Tim Schenken will be reunited with his 1969 Brabham BT28 and his 1971 BT36.

Will post again as soon as I hear more, Andrew

Advertisement

#2 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:29

Why spoil the event with JIM RICHARDS , PETER BROCK , JOHN GOSS .?????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:50

To give me a chance to catch up with Crag Dewsack, of course!

What's the date of the event?

I wouldn't be too hard on Gossy... he did win the AGP, you know... and built his own sports car... and Brock used one of those engines you liked building for a little while... and surely Jim's always welcome?

#4 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:40

15th, 16th & 17th September.

Oh, yeah! its Tin Top Time, :( cosworth bdg don't worry, I am sure there will be plently of other things, you are not alone in your views. There are one or two other things lurking but not confirmed yet so keep watching.

#5 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 23:40

Nearly time again, now I have had a quick word with Lord Woftam over the phone to check, but as he cant proof read this for me prior to posting, it may be subject to minor alterations later today if I have screwed up anywhere. (more than likely)

the entry list is here,
http://www.speedontw...om/entries.html

Frank Matich will be there as will some of his cars, SR3, Nigel Tait in SR4 and Aaron Lewis behind the wheel of his A50. (oh my that should be a great sight).

Vern Schuppan will be reunited with his Elfin and how nice to see Vern Hamilton there with his Elfin.

1922 Hispano Suiza, all 18,500cc

Ferrari Monza as raced in its day by two F1 World Champions.
Porsche Australia’s CEO with 356 Carrera and also there will be the 718RSK of Peter Harburg with Dean Tighe at the wheel. Barry Naylor and Sabrina, then 1929 Alfa 1750, Bugatti Type 37/35B. and 1953 C Type Jaguar. Nice to see Paul Samuels and that very pretty1963 Elite is entered and I can’t omit Pope & the Lolita. That lovely 1962 Elfin Mallala (that should make Ray Bell happy) will be there.

I am delighted to see Rob Nethercote and Lola T342, wow, the boss himself!

John Goss, its 30 years since he won the AGP, Ron Tauranac, Bobby Britain and Jim Richards just to mention a few of the celebs. I better add John Bowe provided I can put the pile of bits I have back together in time for him to drive again this year.

One of the worlds fastest cars, Pagani’s Zonda will be on parade.

For the tin top brigade I guess I should not forget to mention that Peter Brock in Holden Torana will be competing.

And with Bathurst in mind, (this one just blows me away) motor sport legends Harry Firth and Bruce McPhee plus 11 other Bathurst winners.

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 00:00

Yeah, Britto will be there...

But maybe not his latest creation, best described (in his words) as a 'four wheeled motorbike'. He wanted someone to take it to the event for him. Wish I'd had a trailer on at the time!

#7 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:48

Originally posted by Andrew Fellowes
Nearly time again, now I have had a quick word with Lord Woftam over the phone to check, but as he cant proof read this for me prior to posting, it may be subject to minor alterations later today if I have screwed up anywhere. (more than likely)

the entry list is here,
http://www.speedontw...om/entries.html

Frank Matich will be there as will some of his cars, SR3, Nigel Tait in SR4 and Aaron Lewis behind the wheel of his A50. (oh my that should be a great sight).

Vern Schuppan will be reunited with his Elfin and how nice to see Vern Hamilton there with his Elfin.

1922 Hispano Suiza, all 18,500cc

Ferrari Monza as raced in its day by two F1 World Champions.
Porsche Australia’s CEO with 356 Carrera and also there will be the 718RSK of Peter Harburg with Dean Tighe at the wheel. Barry Naylor and Sabrina, then 1929 Alfa 1750, Bugatti Type 37/35B. and 1953 C Type Jaguar. Nice to see Paul Samuels and that very pretty1963 Elite is entered and I can’t omit Pope & the Lolita. That lovely 1962 Elfin Mallala (that should make Ray Bell happy) will be there.

I am delighted to see Rob Nethercote and Lola T342, wow, the boss himself!

John Goss, its 30 years since he won the AGP, Ron Tauranac, Bobby Britain and Jim Richards just to mention a few of the celebs. I better add John Bowe provided I can put the pile of bits I have back together in time for him to drive again this year.

One of the worlds fastest cars, Pagani’s Zonda will be on parade.

For the tin top brigade I guess I should not forget to mention that Peter Brock in Holden Torana will be competing.

And with Bathurst in mind, (this one just blows me away) motor sport legends Harry Firth and Bruce McPhee plus 11 other Bathurst winners.

Sounds like a good meeting Andrew , best of luck , Regards ,PN.

#8 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:59

The Woltri @ Leyburn

Posted Image

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 00:24

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Yeah, Britto will be there...

But maybe not his latest creation, best described (in his words) as a 'four wheeled motorbike'. He wanted someone to take it to the event for him. Wish I'd had a trailer on at the time!

But, of course, I can't be...

Here's the finished product, latest in a long line of Rennmax creations, on public display for the first time this weekend:

Posted Image

#10 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:05

Posted Image

Looks like Bob should be rooting through the aircraft/glider canopy catalogues for a clear rear :smoking:

#11 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 23:08

A record weekend for raising money for charity by Speed on Tweed, showers on Saturday made it a wee bit muddy in places but here are a few memories.

Robert Foster in BT28-23 ex Tim Schenken
Posted Image

Doug Anderson in the Elfin Catalina getting airborn on the exit to the bus stop.
Posted Image

John Bowe in the Matich SR4
Posted Image

#12 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 23:20

Elfin MR8A-C
Posted Image

Bugatti Type 37/35B
Posted Image

#13 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 23:46

Posted Image

Ferrari Monza
Posted Image

Cirrus
Posted Image

Dennis Geary in Lord Woftams HWM rep.
Posted Image

#14 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 23:55

And lastly, the man who had the vision and the ability to put it all together, and raise thousands of dollars for charity,
Roger Ealand

Thank you, and well done Sir!

Posted Image

#15 seldo

seldo

• 2,600 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:47

What a great weekend and what a smorgasbord of wonderful cars. I went down for the Sat afternoon and Sunday afternoon and had a ball. Kept bumping into vaguely familiar faces who looked a bit like mates from years past and were shocked when I introduced myself (must all have failing eye-sight since I haven't changed one little bit.) I loved the informality of the whole thing and the total lack of officialdom to spoil it all and no-one doing their little power-trip thing. Had some good long chats to lots of old mates that I haven't seen for 20/30/40 years. Can't wait until next year and I'm already planning to dig out an old racer from somewhere...
Those who haven't been don't know what they are missing out on - even my non-car wife enjoyed it..... :eek:

#16 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:54

Did you know this bloke from those drinking sessions at Rawlo's after Amaroo meetings, David?

Posted Image

And yes, it's amazing how much some of these people have aged. Many of them are balding, going grey, spreading plentifully about the midriff, it's just amazing how they've let themselves go, isn't it?

#17 Leo D

Leo D

• 426 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:38

Nice quality pictures there Andrew :up: :up:

The one that caught my eye was the one of the Matich.
It looks different to how I remember it.....

The body shape looks different..... more "angular" around the front guards.... different front radiator opening....different doors - no vents..... different looking rear bodywork around the wheels.

The wheel clearance look different as well ( compare the Matich SR3 to the right)....

Can someone shed some light on this, or is it my memory failing me????

Did I mention the rear wing configuration or the colour?.....

Still a great looking car though :cool:

#18 seldo

seldo

• 2,600 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:46

Did you know this bloke from those drinking sessions at Rawlo's after Amaroo meetings, David?

And yes, it's amazing how much some of these people have aged. Many of them are balding, going grey, spreading plentifully about the midriff, it's just amazing how they've let themselves go, isn't it?

There's a few vaguely familiar faces there....

#19 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:54

Great photo's Andrew, would have loved to have been there, the Matich SR4 would have been great to see again. :up:

Advertisement

#20 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:10

Originally posted by Leo D
The one that caught my eye was the one of the Matich.
It looks different to how I remember it.....

The body shape looks different..... more "angular" around the front guards.... different front radiator opening....diferent doors - no vents..... different looking rear bodywork around the wheels.
The wheel clearance look different as well ( compare the Matich SR3 to the right)....

You're right, Leo, I wonder who's done that!

That angled lip at the front of the rear guard, now in the door, but maybe (hard to tell from the small pics I have here) previously a part of the tail panel, used to be over an opening which fed air to the rear brakes. That opening has gone.

Likewise, I see no sign of the headlights that used to be in what are now the outer ends of the front opening, and perhaps those front guards have been widened a little.

Anyone got better pics?

Posted Image

#21 The Chasm

The Chasm

• 185 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:20

Ok Mr Fellowes, something has been bugging me that you may be able to answer.

I have heard of Roger being called LORD WOFTHAM a few times now, but no one has been able to tell me why.

Please inform us ignorant souls.

A simply magnificent event though !.

#22 seldo

seldo

• 2,600 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:33

Originally posted by The Chasm
Ok Mr Fellowes, something has been bugging me that you may be able to answer.

I have heard of Roger being called LORD WOFTHAM a few times now, but no one has been able to tell me why.

Please inform us ignorant souls.

A simply magnificent event though !.

I hope I don't embarass someone here, but Waste Of Effin' Time And Money....

#23 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:52

Oh dear...

I do hope this doesn't degenerate into a discussion about pictures found on the internet.

#24 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 23:48

How about things you find in cow sheds instead?

Posted Image

#25 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 23:56

Or the history of his Lordships HWM rep, that No.1 son tried out for size. (Chasm he is anything but a Woftam!!) or more to the point the original. -Orrible exhaust!!:rolleyes:

Posted Image
Edit. Was it the original of this one that Dennis Geary had a hand in?

#26 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 00:45

Originally posted by Andrew Fellowes
How about things you find in cow sheds instead?

You sure do know how to bruise a man's expectations...

Anything of the Hangers in action? And how did the guest list finish up?

Vern Schuppan has taken over as this years patron.

Henri Pescarolo will be there and so far the list also includes Jim Richards, Fred Gibson, Peter Brock, John Goss, Kevin Bartlett, John French, Denis Geary, Greg Cusack, Bob Holden, and John Bowe .
Tim Schenken will be reunited with his 1969 Brabham BT28 and his 1971 BT36.

#27 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:20

Ty Hanger won in their '77 March (now looking well again) sorry no photo. Harry Firth was there but I missed most people but I did get to talk to Bob Holden and Ron Tauranac but when you have a driver that has no sense of direction and that got lost between the finish line and the paddock ;) it makes for an amusing time! Edit. I should add that he did come second just in front of the Tooth Fairy!! :up:

#28 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:33

Who came second? Bob Holden?

Milldent Racing will have to be disbanded!

#29 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:52

Who came second?

Oops sorry I'm being a bit vague

John Bowe in Brabham BT36-1 seen here attacking Taylors Corner, third was Chris Farrell in the Chevron B35 Hart
Posted Image

#30 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:03

Is that an Historic Photographer there on that corner?

Keep 'em coming, Andrew, preferably kept to that size, of course. And I'd still like to know which ones of that guest list actually turned up.

#31 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:42

light wasn't too good for this one,
Posted Image

and Vern Hamilton's Elfin 623
Posted Image

What an engine!
Posted Image

John Goss in one of the better tin tops
Posted Image

-I'll see if I can find a list

#32 The Chasm

The Chasm

• 185 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:43

I hereby call upon all who enjoy the event known as Speed on Tweed to cease and desist in referreing to the mighty Roger as Lord Woftam from this day forward.

I propose he should from now be referred as Lord PEGMOM .

1 - P roper E nglish G entleman M aster O f M otors

2 - P roper E nglish G entleman M urwillumbah O wes M uch

3 - P roper E nglish G entleman M ember fO r M urwillumbah

:clap:

#33 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:09

But that would be to deny that the internet incident ever happened...

Not on. No Proper English Gentleman could ever be involved in anything like that.

No, don't ask me what happened, telling that tale is up to Lord Woftam.

#34 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 21:27

Originally posted by Ray Bell Not on. No Proper English Gentleman could ever be involved in anything like that.
[/B]

I thought it was the definition of an English Gentleman, especially an Aristocrat!

Lord Byron's 'mad, bad and dangerous to know' comes to mind. :stoned:

#35 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 23:28

just found this, a 4:30 video clip :

#36 Formula 5000

Formula 5000

• 40 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:14

Great photos Mr Fellowes. Your cars are always immaculate. I have seen them firsthand.
The youtube video is fascinating also. I think the Monza took a bit of painting licence with the copy of Bob Janes car. Wonderful event it is a shame that it is so far from Melbourne.

Who drove the Matich SR4?

#37 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:00

Originally posted by Formula 5000

Who drove the Matich SR4? [/B]

Certainly not the owner i hope..................

#38 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 21:25

Originally posted by Formula 5000
Who drove the Matich SR4?

John Bowe, (and thank you for the kind remarks!)

Perhaps now is as good a time as any to mention that next year it will be back to single seaters, and there are quite a few, lurking under dust sheets, that don't come out to play very often. It will be interesting to see what his Lordship can find!