Photo

Anyone know chassis number / history of Rodger Ward MkI or II Cooper Monaco?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 15:51

Hey Guys,
I'm looking for information on Rodger Ward's early model monaco (leaf sprung) that had a buick v8 swapped in. I wonder if it might not be Hap Sharp's CM/7/59 but don't know for sure.

From "Cooper Cars" by Mr. Doug Nye: (Regarding 1961)
"Rodger Ward's older-model leaf-sprin rear monaco had run Buick power hat season, as at Laguna, where it ran well before overheating."

From "Vintage American Road Racing Cars" by Pace & Brinker on Bob McKee:
"But in 1961, McKee took on an engine swap for one of his roundy-round pals, Rodger Ward. Ward was a very capable road racing driver and had bought a Cooper Monaco, less engine. McKee swapped and aluminum Buick V-8 into the slot intended for a Climax. Although the car showed great promise, the cooper transaxle was not up to the task, forcing McKee to design a transaxle of his own using a Chevy T-10 gearbox coupled with a quick-change final drive unit that allowed on the spot gear changes. ect...."

This car is therefore a pretty big deal for the McKee bio in the book so I hope I can find out a little more about it before I call Bob. His experience with it clearly influenced his road racing specials to come.

Thanks again for all that you guys have contributed thus far, I absolutely could not do this without it.

Chuck Brandt

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:34

'CM-7-59' is the serial number stamped on the chassis plate of the Cooper Monaco-Climax in the late Rosso Bianco Collection.

DCN

#3 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 14:17

Thanks Doug for the lead. Hopefully Bob McKee will know where they car came from or maybe the chassis number.

Chuck

#4 Ann M. Adam

Ann M. Adam

• 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 22:28

Try contacting Alice, Roger's wife through "The Fabulous Fifties". This is the not-a-club with a not-a-newsletter.

Oops! Alice was married to Sam Hanks. Sorry 'bout that. But you know what? She just might know how to find that info.