Photo

Photographs decades apart!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,072 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 23:50

Perhaps an apology but I can not resist putting up photographs taken four decades apart.

Uncanny?

But this is nothing new to TNF.

Others? :cool:

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,859 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:29

Interesting pics, HM. Couldn't find anything motor racing just quickly. Will these do instead? ;)
Posted Image Posted Image

#3 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,426 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:55

Peter Swinger's book, Motor Racing Circuits in England, has two near identical pictures of Jack Sears negotiating the Goodwood chicane in a Ford Galaxie, taken 34 years apart.

#4 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:56

Nothing to do with motor racing, but a fascinating subject for me is the series of books put out by 'After The Battle'. They do a series of 'Then and Now' ......"If you are interested in the Second World War — and want to know how the places where it was fought appear today, in what remains to be seen and the discoveries that are still being made — then After the Battle publications will interest you.
After the Battle brings military history alive as our theme is to present the battlefields as they are today using then and now comparison photography."
http://www.aftertheb...m/imagetest.htm
Warren

#5 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,155 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 18:15

Barnes & Noble list a number of "Then & Now" books.

I bought the "Hollywood ... " and "Los Angeles ... " versions.
I have seen many of the views presented, in both periods,
and it is quite an experience, to be transported.

--
Frank S

#6 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,158 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 21:21

Originally posted by WGD706
Nothing to do with motor racing, but a fascinating subject for me is the series of books put out by 'After The Battle'. They do a series of 'Then and Now' ......"If you are interested in the Second World War — and want to know how the places where it was fought appear today, in what remains to be seen and the discoveries that are still being made — then After the Battle publications will interest you.
After the Battle brings military history alive as our theme is to present the battlefields as they are today using then and now comparison photography."
http://www.aftertheb...m/imagetest.htm
Warren

Many years ago one edition featured the Ardennes campaign of late 1944 ("The Battle of the Bulge"). Several pictures of the battlegroup from 1st SS Panzer Division advancing on roads around the old Spa circuit.
Also seem to recall a similar article on Ypres, where one of the "now" photos of late 70s or early 80s of the Menin Road had a 911 with spotlights in the background, probably practicing for Ypres 24 Hours Rally.