Photo

Silver Arrows paint references

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 18:01

Does anyone have a colour reference for the pre-war German GP cars (e.g. Mercedes & Auto-Union) - or the current Crosthwaite & Gardiner/Audi replicas?

Our Cooper MG originally had polished aluminium bodywork, it isn't really possible to get the bodywork straight enough to make that viable (and I'm too lazy to keep polishing it), so the idea is to paint it in a colour that looks like aluminium.

The colour of the silver arrows might be what we are looking for - I guess they weren't lacquered either, I've seen a few modern cars in reasonable shades of silver, but they all have a clear gloss top coat which looks wrong.

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 18:56

This may sound obvious, but why not ask the Mercedes Benz and Audi museums, and Crossthwaite and Gardiner what they use and take what they say as a starting point. Or have you already tried that?

#3 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 19:13

Originally posted by D-Type
This may sound obvious, but why not ask the Mercedes Benz and Audi museums, and Crossthwaite and Gardiner what they use and take what they say as a starting point. Or have you already tried that?

You're right that is probably the easiest - asking C&G is usually an expensive solution but hard to see how it should be in this case.