Photo

Tom Carnegie retires from The Indianapolis Motor Speedway

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 A E Anderson

A E Anderson

• 86 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 23:45

Tom Carnegie, legendary Indianapolis broadcaster, announced his retirement as the Speedway's track announcer after 61 years, according to the Indianapolis Star newspaper this afternoon.

A bit of racing history is slowly fading into the sunset of old age.

Art Anderson

Advertisement

#2 MichaelP

MichaelP

• 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:47

I went to my first 500 in 1985 and I already knew about Tom and I knew he was already calling his 40th race! I would have been happy to have heard him call my first 5, 500s. I was blessed to hear him call all 22 I've been to.

#3 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:36

Over the pass few years he has been having increased problems with his lower legs, probably circulation. He is also getting up in years. He needs a motorized scooter to get around. We introduced ourselves to him three years ago and he is an extremely pleasant and nice man.

#4 LaRascasse

LaRascasse

• 51 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 14:37

Very, very smooth, silky voice. I will miss hearing it.

#5 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,274 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 15:27

What a lovely person Tom is.
I met him in 95 when I attended the 500
I also had a few minutes listening to him talking to Chris Economaki near the Paddock turnstiles* during the Friday of the first Indy F1 race in 2000.
*They didn't have passes!?!?!?

A large part of the speedway's haunting essence departs with him

All the best to you Tom
Jp

#6 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 16:52

Jon:

The reason they and Donald Davidson didn't have them is because their request was denied by Bernie! Excuse me, but Donald is the track historian and Chris is the elder statesman of america's broadcasters!

The less I further say the better!

#7 A E Anderson

A E Anderson

• 86 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 22:10

Originally posted by David M. Kane
Over the pass few years he has been having increased problems with his lower legs, probably circulation. He is also getting up in years. He needs a motorized scooter to get around. We introduced ourselves to him three years ago and he is an extremely pleasant and nice man.

Carnegie contracted polio as a high school student, which severely affected his legs. For years, he walked unaided, with braces on his legs. However, as happened with so many polio survivors, "post-polio syndrome" began to afflict him all over again by his 60's, and getting around became more and more difficult.

Art