Photo

Mont Tremblant vintage weekend pics?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 17:10

does someone was courageous enough to go at "tremblant "last weekend for the vintage racing event. i wasnt :) ,i cancel the whole trip (for the people outside Québec the weather here last weekend was atrocious :cold, windy and non-stop rain) . anyway does someone have any news or even better some photos

Advertisement

#2 FLB

FLB

• 29,563 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 19:19

Oui! :wave: Je me les suis gelées, mais ça valait la peine comme toujours :)

My pictures aren't processed yet. At this time, I can't afford a digital camera that would do what I want it to do (i.e. a Reflex camera), so I'm still using good old-fashion films. I'll post some pictures as soon as I have them.

BTW, the Ferrari Festival is next week. On paper, it seems much better than previous years.

#3 Arrows4Ever

Arrows4Ever

• 831 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:18

WOW!
You're pretty positive!
Even with with all those cars missing, you manage to say it was worth it.

I can gladly say that I was happy to be there as a flagger but if I had been there and if I had paid to get in...Ouch!!! Not sure I would have been a happy camper knowing all the cars that have been there in the previous years! If the price was the same as before, someone would've see me come back at the door! :mad:

Reason for all the missing cars: I was told another Historic Event was being held somewhere in Connecticut.

#4 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:31

The reason for the poor turn out of cars was that competitors were tired of being treated like peasants by the arrogant track owner and his staff. Lawerence S. puts all of his rich buddies in a paved paddock and puts the rest of competitors in a gravel nightmare of a field he calls a general paddock.

At least that his why my wife and didn't enter our cars. I'm not in the habit of giving people a substantial entry fee and then being treated in a 2nd hand fashion.

Specifically, last year the Historic Prix group bought their own film crew and lent them their "one"
paddock pass so they get their heavy camera from the grass field they were required to park in that was a quarter of a mile from the paddock. So Lawerence's "Black Shirts" snatched it from the window and lectured them like they were naughty children when they were just trying to help out some hard working people. I won't bore you with the many irritating little things that happened throughout the weekend. Who needs that?

How many cars do you reckon they had? The first year it was between 275-300; but that is when the civil Pierre Des Marais was the event manager and everyone was treated with dignity and charm.

I will say this, the first year we went they had the corners workers from the Montral Grand Prix and they were the best I've ever seen and very knowledgeable too! During the race I lost my brakes and pulled off the track around turn 5 where I was greeted (by my full name) by a female corner worker who was both friendly and hospitable. She gave me a cool drink, pulled out her Marlboro F1 Guide from the mis-70s...we had a great chat about the F1 cars as they roared by!

The same can be said for the town's people and the food is very, very good.

#5 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 17:23

it was my impression too that the whole show was run more like a "private" club .the relation between the track organisation and the FSAQ( federation du sport automobile du quebec) is not so good too from what i heard. last year there was an event the same weekend at lime rock too and there was the promixity of the BRIC to explain the smaller participation but that was also true the 3 first years 2002-2004 and the" plateau" was quite good then so. anyway does someone have a list of the people who actually came this year.in the past the list was on there website not this year, it look that there some people that they care even less then the racers its the "public"

#6 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 23:01

Like Mr Kane, i didn't bother showing up. I really enjoyed the first two years, but not the subsequent years. Just not worth it...

#7 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 975 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 00:33

Dave:

Shocked to hear of your experiences. I've never been to Jovite and have always had a wish to do so. Hmmm...maybe time to reconsider.

Well, there's always the VARAC festival at Mosport in a couple of weeks. I attend annually even tho there's only so many Bug Eye Sprites I can take.

Attendance of any really spiffy stuff has dwindled off to next to nothing in recent years. Why, I cannot say. One of the world's great tracks...almost as it was when is was laid down 45 years ago...and nobody comes.

):

#8 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:26

It is a wonderful track just like Mosport. I have no simple answer other than the better you treat people the more you get out of them...

#9 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 975 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 15:15

Hi, again, Dave!

Actually, I had occasion to email the track manager of Mosport, Myles Brandt, a couple of years back to complain as to the lack of top-flight equipment showing for the VARAC go. I had known for some time that such events at Jovite, Watkins Glen, Elkhart and Laguna had drawn terrific stuff for years. He responded with the worst possible of answers as to why Mosport failed to draw the cream of vintage cars to its annual VARAC festival(which one year was billed as the 'CanAm/F1 Revival; some CanAms showed but it was a meagre turnout...I far as I could tell, the ex-Fabi Newman/Hass March sat in the garage for the whole weekend and never turned a wheel...and not one F1 showed).

The reason? Ready for this? Hold your temper, now. I'm fuming even as I type this.

Mosport does not have anything in the way of sumptuous accomodations in the neighbourhood with fine dining. I'm not quoting Myles' but that's the gist of it. It's not in a nicey-nice touristy area with creature comforts at your shoulder and of course, you know that yourself from being a veteran racer there. So what's wrong with Noone's Restaurant?

Incredible. A track that has hosted CanAms, WDC F1 events, USAC Champ Car, USAC Stock Car, FIA Makes, and on and on. You'd think that a facility with this heritage might tempt the elite to 'rough it' for a couple of days. Apparently not.

#10 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 16:15

Manfred:

They didn't treat us too well either, this disallowed Bob Goeldner's qualifying time for some ridiculous reason which spun up the whole Monoposto group fairly effectively!

We were more than happy with our stay in your town of Oshawa at the Holiday Inn; and we found excellent places to eat...one night a great steak of a big pub type restaurant with good wines...it might have been Noone's, a nice French place that had good seafood and a nice Italian restaurant with at least 30 of racing friends in attendance from 3 different teams.

Why waste money on a fancy hotel when you're at the track most of the time?

Between Mosport and Mont Tremblant we were in Canada for a month, so I enjoyed myself a lot.
I take my food fairly serious, but not myself...so I don't have a clue how his logic evolved on that one?

#11 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,806 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 15:03

Originally posted by David M. Kane
...so I don't have a clue how his logic evolved on that one?

Ego tends to shove logic out the window. ;)

#12 FLB

FLB

• 29,563 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 22:56

First batch:

Posted Image

The chassis plate says that this is BT30-17. It had a Cossie FVA in the back. It didn't run while I was there.

Posted Image

Same car.

Posted Image

Hamish Sommerville, Williams FW07, Formula Libre practice, Friday morning.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dailu MkI.

Posted Image

Unipower GT. I saw this car run at Trois-Rivières two years ago as well. This TNF thread discusses the marque in more detail.

Posted Image

Aston Martin AMR-1.

#13 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 19:26

Great ! . does the Chaparral "one " was there

#14 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 19:14

"Bump" anybody else went to "tremblant"?