Photo

Le Mans numbering system

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dbltop

dbltop

• 1,515 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:36

I just noticed that the two Astin Martins that are entered in this years race are numbered 007 and 009. Obviously this must have some connection to James Bond and the new movie coming out but, I always thought that the Lemans organizers were very strict with with their numbering and am surprised to see them allow something so blatently commercial. I seem to have a foggy memory of a team in the past that wanted specific numbers to please a sponsor and were told they couldn't have it. Anybody else remember something like that?

Advertisement

#2 lofong

lofong

• 65 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 15:58

I raised some questions about the use of unusual race numbers some time backwhich went pretty much unanswered. I have seen '00' and '07' used in races in the past but have we ever encountered the double zero prefix before in any other series?

#3 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 16:12

Originally posted by lofong

...have we ever encountered the double zero prefix before in any other series?

Didn't Shadow run 00 in Can-Am, or was it just 0.

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,755 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 16:28

USAC stock cars - Dean Moon ran the double zero in the 60s (with Moon Eyes painted within). It has been used in NASCAR as well, plus in the Wacky Races formule libre by Richard Dastardly.

Maybe the car number is 7, they just "happen" to put 00 in front as part of a sponsor deal.

#5 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,897 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 16:51

No, Ens, the G.T.1 cars are numbered in the 50s and 60s.

Personally, I HATE it when they do things like that, at any level of racing; but then, I'm just an old SITM.

I seem to recall young Jody Scheckter being given the number 0 in a couple of his drives for McLaren in 1973.

#6 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 17:01

Wasn't that his 1973 F5000 Trojan in the US, Barry?

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,759 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 17:04

Canadian and US GPs - 1973.

#8 lofong

lofong

• 65 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 17:05

My earlier question related to the double zero as a prefix, as in the '007', rather than just by themselves.

My collection of racing programs got destroyed so I cannot research, but I'm sure in the past I've encountered zero and double zeroes a number of times in either the US or Canada including IMSA -- and even on occasion in the same race - but no longer recall the details. Also I seem to recall the confusing occurrences of '7' and '07' together in the same event -- but I've never seen '007' (or any other '00n' variation)..

Certainly Jody ran with the '0' in the North American F! races in 1973 (the only time it was used in F1 prior to 1993). I think this was because he was using the zero number in other US series that year, e.g. F5000. I also surmised that McLaren's use of the zero might have been a factor in the decision by the FIA to standardise race numbers in F1 which started the following year.

#9 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 17:21

Originally posted by lofong
Also I seem to recall the confusing occurrences of '7' and '07' together in the same event -- but I've
never seen '007' (or any other '00n' variation)..

There are stil #N/#0N pairs in Grand-Am today, although as far as I recall they're usually arranged so one's a DP and the other's a GT.

I guess it depends whether you think of a race number as having any ordinal properties or just being a unique identifying tag on the cars -- didn't Leicester used to play rugby with lettered shirts rather than numbers?;)

#10 T54

T54

• 2,479 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 20:56

Didn't Shadow run 00 in Can-Am, or was it just 0.

Twinny, the Vasek Polak Porsche 917PA did, as well as the Field-Ongais 935. Also the GT1-Evo of Paul Newman at Daytona. I remember Oliver's Shavow as 101 and 102 but I have been known to be wrong.
As far as the ACO letting the Bond thing happen, all it takes is a fat check.
Best regards,

T54

#11 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,532 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 21:51

ISTR there was a car running with a zero prefix in Aussie V8s in the 90s. 015? It was a mobile phone-sponsored outfit, but I can't remember the driver. It would have been a Holden or a Ford though :rolleyes:

The Rover-BRM turbine carried double zero at Le Mans in 1963, as it was hors de concours - the ACO had no equivalency formula to place it in the right class!

#12 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,783 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:16

In Australia I can recall 05 for Peter Brock, it started with a drink driving promotion with the .05 alcohol limit.
015 was used by the Holden racing team when they were sponsored by Telstra Mobilenet. It may have been Greg Murphy or Tomas Merzera. The other team car would have been 05.
00 was used by Craig Lowndes for a little while but I can not work out why! The rules stated that "Zero alone can not be used as a competition number" So zero was not alowed but zero zero was OK! :p

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,482 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:08

Originally posted by Catalina Park
In Australia I can recall 05 for Peter Brock, it started with a drink driving promotion with the .05 alcohol limit.....

That actually began mid-way through the 1975 season, with the Gown-Hindhaugh car...

Peter took on a deal with the ROSTA organisation to head up their 'Class Driving' campaign.