robin ? paris, somewhere around 1900?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 guazzoni

guazzoni

• 23 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:49

This one turned up locally recently.
To my surprise my (I must admit limited) collection of books and the ever helpful google where unable to supply any information at all.

The only thing I could find was a mention in a book of a brand called robinet. Robinet is supposed to have produced a few cars in nantes (france). No details, pictures or even a date of production is mentioned.
But since this engine clearly states F. ROBIN and PARIS I don’t suppose there’s a link at all...

Conclusion I know nothing but what can be seen in the pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I assume an early engine because of the automatic inlet valves (or did these stay 'en vogue' a little longer than i thought?).
Since the majority of engines in those days were singles (or am I mistaken?) I thought there is a possibility this twin might ring a bell…

Any ideas anybody?

Advertisement

#2 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,222 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 13:11

With that flywheel, I would say it was a stationary engine....early industrial revolution for belt driven stuff :confused:

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,752 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 15:55

Originally posted by guazzoni
The only thing I could find was a mention in a book of a brand called robinet. Robinet is supposed to have produced a few cars in nantes (france). No details, pictures or even a date of production is mentioned.
But since this engine clearly states F. ROBIN and PARIS I don’t suppose there’s a link at all...

According to Georgano's Complete Encyclopaedia of Motor Cars the Robinet was produced in Nantes in 1906 - 1907, resembled the Bédélia cyclecar and had a 10 hp V-twin Deckert engine, so no connection to this, I think.

I'd certainly go with the stationary engine theory.

#4 robert dick

robert dick

• 936 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 19:17

Robin was an exhibitor at the 1900 Paris Salon, in the "pièces détachées - accessoires" section :
"Robin - Culasses à circulation d'eau; cylindres transformés".
(cylinder heads with water circulation; modified cylinders)

= = = = =

A motorcycle man named Robin rode a Lamaudière-Labre in the 1902 Château-Thierry hillclimb.

#5 dbw

dbw

• 993 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 23:49

with mounting arms on the crackcase as shown it could have been a marine powerplant..

[atmospheric inlet valves were used well into the '20s on industrial engines]

looks as tho this unit lived in a cold place with all the work on the waterjacket.....