Photo

Denny Hulme would have been seventy years old today

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,038 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 15:33

Just thought we should remember The Bear.

APL

Advertisement

#2 WHITE

WHITE

• 1,498 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 15:55

Originally posted by Alan Lewis

APL

:up: :up: :up:

#3 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:55

Photos posted on behalf of Roger Lund which he took at the Coy's meeting at Silverstone, 1992;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:15

And a few I took;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

...and 1991...

Posted Image

:up:

#5 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:25

Originally posted by Twin Window
And a few I took;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

...and 1991...

Posted Image

:up:

Thanks very much , the BEAR rekindles many memories from the past ............................................... :up:

#6 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:35

For some reason when Denny's name is mentioned I always recall the marvellous performance he put up at Monaco in 1967 - I watched it on the Beeb. That was his first Grand Prix win and he did it in tremendous style. And then I reflect on how the tragedy of Bandini's dreadful crash must have taken the shine off his otherwise great day.

Happy birthday, Denny.

#7 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:06

Stu , many thanks

RL

#8 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:17

Co-incidentally this week 'Autocar' magazine showed pictures of a new supercar built in New Zealand the work of Jock Freeman called the 'Hulme' fixed head 2 seater in orange with exposed wheels and an F1 style front wing rather like the recently revealed Caparo Freestreem T1....looks very nicely produced.

#9 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:25

would have been nice to have seen Denny at this years' FOS.

#10 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:54

Top bloke, top driver, top kiwi

#11 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:44

Originally posted by Vicuna
Top bloke, top driver, top kiwi

Couldn't have put it better. I've always thought that his reputation as a bit of a grump was largely down to his shyness, but if you got to know him a bit, a really nice man. Nicest F1 driver I ever met in fact, though admittedly that's not a very long list. Denny is undervalued by some who have written him off as 'lucky', but he was one hell of a driver on his day, a hard worker who deserved every win he got.

#12 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:55

Originally posted by kayemod

I've always thought that his reputation as a bit of a grump was largely down to his shyness, but if you got to know him a bit, a really nice man. .

When I took the shot of him in the blue shirt, 9 posts above, I chatted to him for a few minutes as he crossed the paddock, as you do. What a super bloke, didn't know me from Adam, but so tolerant of a fan. So relaxed and very at one with the historic scene, he said, racing the Zagato Aston. Nothing was expected so he could do as he pleased. I am so glad that I took the trouble to pass the time of day with him. Super memory of the day.

RL

#13 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:23

Originally posted by bradbury west

When I took the shot of him in the blue shirt, 9 posts above, I chatted to him for a few minutes as he crossed the paddock, as you do. What a super bloke, didn't know me from Adam, but so tolerant of a fan. So relaxed and very at one with the historic scene, he said, racing the Zagato Aston. Nothing was expected so he could do as he pleased. I am so glad that I took the trouble to pass the time of day with him. Super memory of the day.

RL

Lovely, that's the Denny Hulme I remember too. Like I said, as a man, my all-time favourite F1 driver.

#14 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 18:54

I never got to see Denny in aa F1 car but I was lucky enough to get to watch him take various Can Am McLarens by the scruf of the neck. Others finessed the big brute Can Am cars but ol Denny forced um into submission!

#15 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 22:07

I will always remember him as my first world champion !!

what I mean is.............I wasn't yet that much into F1 before that year.

#16 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 16:25

I often think of The Bear. Although Revson and Cevert were my heros, Denny was my favorite driver.

Thanks for reminding us.

Dave

#17 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:51

so he died in 1992, aged ... what ... 56?

wikipedia says he was the first F1 world champion to die of natural causes :

even so - a massive (instant) heart attack while pushing 300km/h down conrod straight, yet still managed to steer the car to a safe stop ... a true racer's way to bow out

i was 17 and watching the broadcast, it's a vivid memory

respect :up:

#18 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,247 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 14:19

Yes, and Fangio would have been the second... unless James Hunt beat him to it...

Sad fact is, however, that the next few years is likely to see others fall off the perch.

#19 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 14:41

Originally posted by Ray Bell
... unless James Hunt beat him to it...

James Hunt? All depends how you define 'natural causes' I suppose, though I guess you mean that he didn't die in a car.

Advertisement

#20 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,038 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 19:15

Yes, Denny was the first World Champion to die of "natural causes", but like all the predecessors, he was at the controls of a machine :

1955, Ascari, crash in testing at Monza
1958, Hawthorn, road accident on the Guildford bypass
1966, Farina, road accident en route to the French Grand Prix (actually forty years ago next week)
1968, Jim Clark, Deutschland Trophae Formule 2 race at Hockenheim
1970, Jochen Rindt, Formula 1 practice at Monza (not actually Champion until some weeks later, of course)
1975, Graham Hill, plane crash near Elstree

A few months after Denny, James Hunt was the first Champion to die in bed. Two more have gone since then; Fangio and Senna. Leaving eighteen of the twenty eight World Champions still with us, headed by Sir Jack Brabham both in terms of age and of earliest title win.

APL

#21 ed holly

ed holly

• 387 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:19

I can see a lot of people remember Denny in F1 and CanAm, but it must be remembered in 1963, the last year of Formula Junior, he had the finesse to caress a little works Brabham Junior to 7 victories from 14 starts. This was the era when there was no F2 or F3, F1 being the only other major Formula, so the competition would have been immense. Peter Arundell won the UK Championship that year from Denny, but I believe Peter had quite a few more starts than Denny and built up points where Denny did not.

I too was watching TV that day and could not make out why Dennys driving went so eratic at the fastest part of any Australian track used today.

Happy Birthday Denny

#22 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:31

Originally posted by repcobrabham
a true racer's way to bow out

Almost exactly what Eoin Young said at the time