Photo

South American curiosity...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:33

Found 'several years ago' in an Argentinian paddock...

Posted Image

Any ideas on what it might be?

I've asked the guy for pics of the chassis, it has a Ford V8 engine (of the pre-ohv era).

Advertisement

#2 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:46

Ray, what year is the flathead ford v8? .cheers Peter N.

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:36

I think it might be an old one, Peter...

Actually, from that part of the world, it might well be a Chrysler side valve V8, mightn't it?

I'll ask.

#4 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:34

Ray, did chrysler make a side valve v8 engine??

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:43

Indeed they did... but they didn't design it...

It's all coming back to you now? I'm sure it is... started life as Ford GB's own little V8, then Ford France made a few changes and started producing it. The design then went to America for an economy V8 for their market.

When Ford sold out to Simca, the V8 engine plant went along with the deal. Making both small and large engines, the large ones going into Simca-built trucks and military vehicles. Late in the fifties Chrysler bought Simca, so they then owned the plant making side valve V8 engines.

In the sixties they sent the patterns and other machinery to South America, where they continued making the side valve V8s in 2350cc and slightly larger sizes, later buying in the rights to the Ardun heads to update the design in the late sixties.

Look up Chrysler Esplanada...

Posted Image

#6 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:14

Ray, you are correct in what you are saying, the car was sold here as the Simca Vedette. I know someone here who has layed several of those engines to rest on the local dump in the last year.................. ........

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:24

I know several people who'd be chasing that person with guns in hand if they knew who they were!

Vedette engines are keenly sought these days...

#8 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:33

Ray, I will keep that in mind for the future, too late for these examples unfortunately...............................................................

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:34

I don't know... these guys might have shovels...

Which tip? Which part of the tip?

Do you like that picture?

#10 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:42

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Indeed they did... but they didn't design it...

It's all coming back to you now? I'm sure it is... started life as Ford GB's own little V8, then Ford France made a few changes and started producing it. The design then went to America for an economy V8 for their market.

When Ford sold out to Simca, the V8 engine plant went along with the deal. Making both small and large engines, the large ones going into Simca-built trucks and military vehicles. Late in the fifties Chrysler bought Simca, so they then owned the plant making side valve V8 engines.

In the sixties they sent the patterns and other machinery to South America, where they continued making the side valve V8s in 2350cc and slightly larger sizes, later buying in the rights to the Ardun heads to update the design in the late sixties.

Look up Chrysler Esplanada...

Posted Image

Ray, might give some group N competitors a fright , looks good in the picture you posted......

#11 Pablo Vignone

Pablo Vignone

• 309 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:06

Ray, regarding the wrecked car, did you know the photo'date or something about? I did not saw that car racing as long as I remember

#12 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:09

I wouldn't say it's been raced in over forty years, Pablo...

I've had no contact with anyone over it, just found it on the net with the question, 'what is it?'

I have sent an e.mail, I will post here if I get any kind of informative reply. Thanks for taking an interest.

#13 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:52

Bit of an oddity, that Chrysler Esplanada. The front end with its stacked lights is not unlike some USA Ford cars of around the same time.

Did Ford themselves never use the old flathead V8 in their Brazilian (or Argentine) cars? What about that ex-Willys Itamaraty thing - did that stick to former Willys engines?

#14 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:59

Chrysler also stacked the headlights like that...

I have no idea about your other questions, though I'm sure the flathead Ford V8 was readily available.