Photo

Going through Modena soon; what's to be seen?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brian O Flaherty

Brian O Flaherty

• 2,668 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:57

Hi there,
A friend of mine will be driving through Modena in the next day or so and is wondering what is worth seeing while he's there. I have given him the address of the Maranello museum close to Modena, although the website I got it from was 3 years old. Is there anything you guys 'n gals could recommend ?

Advertisement

#2 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:37

1. Ferrari Galleria

2. Shops:
"Warm Up"
"Hors Ligne"
"Shopping Formula 1"

3. Lunch:
"Da William" located at Via flavio Gioia, this is where Luca eats
The Pizzeria in the Hotel Domus, good for Pizza and Pasta

It's not a big town, so all the good stuff is within walking distance of the factory.

#3 Brian O Flaherty

Brian O Flaherty

• 2,668 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 13:01

#4 rjl850

rjl850

• 16 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 18:04

If your friend would be interested in something a little different (i.e., not Ferrari), I suggest the Stanguellini museum (http://www.stanguellini.it). The museum is housed in the same facility as a new Fiat automobile dealership and service facility in Modena. My wife and I were given a tour by a really enthusiastic and friendly man named (I think) Vicario, who'd been working there for 40-odd years. BTW, he didn't speak any English and my Italian was/is pretty limited.

There is also the Panini Collection -- a private collection of (mostly) Maseratis, which happens to be on the site of a cheese farm (http://www1.maserati..._200601_03.aspx).

In Maranello, we liked the Montana restaurant. While we were there a Fiat van full of Ferrari F1 crew members pulled up and unloaded. The guys proudly wore their work uniforms to dinner and the staff fawned over them. It was fun to watch.

Hope this helps!

-Bob

#5 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 21:24

We went to the Panini Collection, there is some very interesting Italian military stuff as well as motorcycles along with the Maseratis.

#6 kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer

• 479 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 21:41

There's a couple of nice memorials in Maranello. If I remember correctly there's a large sculpture in the town square dedicated to Enzo and the Gilles Villeneuve bust is near the entrance to the test track.

#7 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 21:55

Is the old aerodrome based circuit there still or has it been 'developed' ? If there perhaps visit & spare a few moments in thought for Castelloti, Cabianca, De Tornaco etc

#8 James L. Kalie

James L. Kalie

• 51 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 17:03

I'm surprised no one mentioned the the Ferrari residence in the middle of Modena. There is an interesting statue in the park in front. I was told that some in the family cosider it an eyesore. Around the corner is the old location at least of the Scuderia Ferrari. Franco Gozzi lives within walking distance. The Ferrari family house where Enzo was born still exists and I believe someone is trying to turn it into a museum. I hope they do. It is not far from the Maserati Corporate Headquarters. Look, anyone serious about a visit could get Brenda Verner to guide them. I did and for a few bucks it was a high point in my life. If anyone seriously wants her number I have it. Private message me at jkalie@msn.com. I still say, anyone going that far has to see the Nuvolari Museum in Mantova. The Museum and the town is such a unique experience anyway. Also, the Biscaretti Museum in Turin. A must see. Always happy to help. James L. Kalie, Bellevue, WA, USA

#9 René de Boer

René de Boer

• 402 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 13:11

One of the best places to eat in Maranello is Ristorante "Montana", run by Mama Rosella, just on the outskirts of Maranello under the bridge that runs over the Fiorano test track. Much better atmosphere, much better food and much cheaper than the over-hyped "Cavallino" opposite the factory. "Montana" is something like the inofficial Ferrari works restaurant. More often than not, you find mechanics and key team personnel here. On a couple of occasions I have been there, I saw Ross Brawn walking in with his dog and a bottle of wine from his own collection. The walls are covered with memorabilia: table cloths signed by all works drivers since the 1960s, race suits, helmets... A gorgeous place, highly recommendable!