Photo

Odd request - Vintage Pit Dimensions?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cts

cts

• 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 17:27

I'm working on a scale model of a 1965 F1 pit scene.
I'm having a difficult time determining the dimensions of the pit 'stalls'. I have what I believe are correct appearing height sizes and overall shapes (thanks to fellow board members who've posted some wonderful photos...especially the recent Reims thread!).
What I'm somewhat baffled by is the width. Did pits in the old circuits allow for each car to be brought alongside..full length? If so, it seems the width of each pit would have to be about 12'. Is this reasonable?
Obviously this isn't super critical...I just want to capture the right 'look'.
Any help is most appreciated!
Charles

Advertisement

#2 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 23:57

Originally posted by cts
I'm working on a scale model of a 1965 F1 pit scene.
I'm having a difficult time determining the dimensions of the pit 'stalls'. I have what I believe are correct appearing height sizes and overall shapes (thanks to fellow board members who've posted some wonderful photos...especially the recent Reims thread!).
What I'm somewhat baffled by is the width. Did pits in the old circuits allow for each car to be brought alongside..full length? If so, it seems the width of each pit would have to be about 12'. Is this reasonable?
Obviously this isn't super critical...I just want to capture the right 'look'.
Any help is most appreciated!
Charles

"Back in the Day" were they even marked?

Henry

#3 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:25

Charles, I think you can get a pretty good idea of pit length from this photo:

Posted Image

The Shogun parked in front of the pits is just over 15 feet long.... Looking at the relative sizes I would think the pit box is maybe a tad less but not much.

Good luck with the project.