Photo

Aston Martin Laguna Seca Reunion 1989

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,729 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 17:29

One of the best-staged motor racing retrospective events that I ever attended was the 30th anniversary of Aston Martin's Sports Car World Championship celebrated by Steve Earle at Laguna Seca in August 1989.

The organisers had gone to great lengths to recreate the pit lane from Le Mans and invited all the '59 team cars, as well as other historic Astons, to take part. Fortunately all the '59 team drivers were still with us then, as well as Sir David Brown who was joined by then-owner of Aston Martin Victor Gauntlett.

I thought that some of you might enjoy a few memories from that weekend

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Le Mans winners Shelby and Salvadori

Posted Image Trintignant and Frere

Posted Image Works driver Tony Brooks and Jack Fairman

Posted Image Frere, Trintignant, Gauntlett, Moss and Sir David Brown

Posted Image Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,239 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 18:31

Yes, I agree, it was very well done. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I got some autographs on my program cover too, but it looks like yours has more! I regret that I didn't get Trintignant's! And I have cherished photos from that weekend of my mom with Gurney, Hill, and Shelby, and of me with Tony Brooks!

Vince Howlett, Victoria, B.C., Canada

#3 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,729 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 18:47

The ones I got, Vince, were Moss, Shelby, Frere, Trintignant, Fairman, Gauntlett, Sir David Brown, Salvadori, Phil Hill, Innes Ireland, Tony Brooks and Ted Cutting (designer).

#4 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,239 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 22:41

I only got Gurney, Hill, Salvadori, and Shelby.

#5 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,411 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:35

Thanks for the memories, Alan. I was there with friends and remember the weekend quite well. Monterey and Pebble Beach were much less crowded and commercial even just 17 years ago, weren't they?

Jack