• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 mp4

mp4

• 584 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 22:23

http://www.autosport...to.php/id/51652

Hello All,
This pic got me thinking. How many retired drivers still have possession of the cars they once raced? I think Jean Alesi has one of his Ferrari F1 cars. There must be others...

Discuss!

Advertisement

#2 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 22:34

I'm pretty sure Jacky Ickx used to have a decent collection of cars he'd raced; a Matra sportscar, a couple of F1 Ferraris and probably more - but I'm not sure if he still owns them.

Jean-Pierre Beltoise auctioned-off his collection of Matras not that long ago.

#3 dbw

dbw

• 993 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 23:37

jim hall?

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 18:53

Doesn't John Surtees still have most or all of his self-built F1 cars, including the revised Honda RA302?

#5 FLB

FLB

• 29,862 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 19:12

Alain Prost recently sold his 1993 Williams FW13C-Renault. It's the chassis he used to win his last Grand Prix. He sold it through Hervé Poulain at an auction for 375 000 Euros.

#6 Greatest

Greatest

• 164 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 19:53

Leo Kinnunen still has his old infamous Surtees, which is on display in the car museum of Turun Sanomat (Turun Sanomat is a newspaper in the Finnish city of Turku)...

#7 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 20:50

I read somewhere that Nigel Mansell still owns at least one of his F1 cars. I don't know which one though.

#8 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 21:11

Ferrari, I think.

#9 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 21:15

I wonder if he still has his Dale Falcon....

#10 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,582 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:29

Originally posted by Vitesse2
Doesn't John Surtees still have most or all of his self-built F1 cars, including the revised Honda RA302?

John Surtees did have the one and a half litre V12 Ferrari he drove to the World Championship. It still has the 'alterations' that Surtees did to the tub so that he was more comfortable.

#11 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:05

I thought Nigel had his 1989 Ferrari and 92 Williams in the foyer at his golf club?

#12 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:07

Originally posted by Twin Window
Ferrari, I think.

I remember an (amusing) program where James Allen tested a PacWest Indycar and his first visit was to Nigel Mansell's home gym. Like I said, amusing. Im not sure which house it was, but it looked like there was a Williams lying around, which I assume was the title winning car.

And isnt Schumacher said to have most of his championship winning cars in his collection, and a Jordan?

#13 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:23

I'm pretty sure Ickx sold all his cars.

#14 tobbe j

tobbe j

• 90 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:47

Stewart own Tyrrell 003 or his sons Paul and Mark do

#15 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 13:04

Originally posted by FLB
Alain Prost recently sold his 1993 Williams FW13C-Renault. It's the chassis he used to win his last Grand Prix. He sold it through Hervé Poulain at an auction for 375 000 Euros.

Why, short of cash ??

#16 FLB

FLB

• 29,862 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 13:20

Originally posted by Mallory Dan

Why, short of cash ??

No. He said he didn't have time to play with it, so he decided that somebody else should have fun. He said the car deserves to be driven. He didn't want to sell it to a museum.

#17 a_tifoosi

a_tifoosi

• 270 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 14:52

Last december, Carlos Ghosn offered Fernando Alonso his championship-winning R25.

Narcís.

#18 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 707 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 14:55

Jody Scheckter has at least one McLaren & his world championship winning Ferrari

#19 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 16:39

didn't Jody buy his M19A ??

Advertisement

#20 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 17:27

Apparently Coulthard's father has most (e.g. everything pre-F1 & 1 off each F1) of the cars that he raced.
That always struck me as a sign that he was always rather comfortably off.

Schumacher has some of his cars - including a replica of his Formula Ford, they were a bit embarassed when the actual car turned up (it is now in the UK).
Presumably by now he has so many cars he can't be bothered about having any more of them (certainly hard to imagine he's that bothered about last years car for example!).

Talking of Cobblers Jordans, one of them has disappeared - the one given to Cosworth as part of the debt payment by EJ, went to VW when they bought Cosworth but when VW sold Cosworth no one could find it........

Seemingly Jody Scheckter has several cars - I was told about someone restoring them in the UK but I've forgotten who it was!

Several French Ligier driver's (Lafferty etc) had Ligiers (and Matras - but possibly not F1s) seems they were paid with cars rather than money ocassionally!

Some of the older drivers have/had their old cars: Peter Lovely still has his F1 Lotus, the late Bruce Halford had two Lotus 16s later on etc.

Incidentally the guy who bought all of the Williams 'reserve collection' in that rather odd Bonhams(?) auction/deal has apparently just bought 16 McLarens from Ronzo - of course he isn't an F1 driver!

#21 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 17:37

[i]

Incidentally the guy who bought all of the Williams 'reserve collection' in that rather odd Bonhams(?) auction/deal has apparently just bought 16 McLarens from Ronzo - of course he isn't an F1 driver! [/B]

Now I had it on good authority that a short bloke with loads of money that sometimes appears on the grid before some GPs and has a haircut like an African hut and John Lennon like glasses, well he brought the Williams for a similar sum that was given to Ferrari (just before they signed to FOMs F1) just before Williams signed the FOM agreement (if you catch my drift!!?

The McLarens would be all the red and white ones that West demanded be removed from McLaren's lobby as it was considered a clash, and then spent many years getting dusty in a warehouse in Hampshire, just as McLaren joined with FOM, surely not!!? ;)

#22 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 18:56

Originally posted by Peter Morley
Apparently Coulthard's father has most (e.g. everything pre-F1 & 1 off each F1) of the cars that he raced.
That always struck me as a sign that he was always rather comfortably off.

Indeed.

Pictured at the DC Museum

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was also told that all the trophies are replicas expensively purchased by Daddy when each was earned…

#23 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 20:54

I heard from a Hayton-Coulthard driver that they spent 4.5 million getting David to F1. Thats a lot of spare cash for a transport company to have floating around!

#24 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 21:21

Jesus, 4.5mil should get you into F1 these days, nevermind a decade ago :eek:

#25 Haddock

Haddock

• 917 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 21:33

Originally posted by ghinzani
I heard from a Hayton-Coulthard driver that they spent 4.5 million getting David to F1. Thats a lot of spare cash for a transport company to have floating around!

Intriguing side-point. If you look at Coulthard's F3 car, you see it was sponsored by Highland Spring, Eternit and Crookes Healthcare.

A casual glance at the Hayton Coulthard website shows that these companies all rely on Hayton Coulthard for haulage services. Just goes to show that its easier to come by money if you have it in the first place.

As for Scotland's other motor racing family of the moment - its interesting how little we hear of how they make their money.... (I'll not go into it, don't want to find myself fighting a libel case)