Peter Clark

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Antoine Pilette

Antoine Pilette

• 253 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 19:47

Hello everyone,

Is there somewhere on the Web a small biography of Peter Clark (1915-2000)?
I've searched on TNF but I've found nothing, neither on Google. A portrait of him would help me a lot to identify him on some pictures.

Merci!

Advertisement

#2 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 19:51

:wave: Hello Antoine , is that Peter Clarke you mean ?

#3 Antoine Pilette

Antoine Pilette

• 253 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 20:01

Hmmm... Just checked "Clarke" on Google but this driver seems to be too young for the one I'm looking for :

EDIT Found a clue, it's the Peter Clark of the Spa's HRG Team. I think I'm going to find the answer by comparing different pictures I have. I know he was at Chimay with a HRG Aero in 1947, I might just check what this car look like and do a 2+2=4!

EDIT AGAIN Nevermind, found my answers in the Chimay's book, Vol. 1. Somehow, staring at TNF on my screen for 5 mins switched my brain to 2nd gear!
I still would like to read about him:)

#4 Antoine Pilette

Antoine Pilette

• 253 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 22:36

Peter Clark and his HRG Aero in Belgium for the race at Chimay in 1947
Posted Image
On the boat
Posted Image
His support car
Posted Image
His HRG with Pilette's Alfa
Posted Image
Looks like they are checking something under the car
Posted Image
Peter Clark, Nelly Pilette and a lady friend
Posted Image
Lunch stop?
Posted Image
Peter Clark on the left, his back to the window, sitting with the Pilette couple and their friends.
Posted Image
The Alfa and the HRG
Posted Image
Another shot of the HRG
Posted Image
Another nice shot at Chimay
Posted Image
Marcus Chambers, racing co-pilot of Peter Clark at LM before the war and later on too.
Posted Image
Clark and Pilette, somewhere else than Chimay
Copyrights Pilette archive

#5 Brian Lear

Brian Lear

• 122 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:11

Hi Antoine

I am posting this reply on behalf of TNF member davidsmanson who is presently unable to respond personally.
He has asked that firstly I congratulate you for posting the photos - in particular the one of the HRG outside of the Gentlemens Lavatory!!
Secondly, if you do not get any worthwhile responses from this forum, you could contact John Warburton - the Editor of the Vintage Sports Car Club of Great Britain, through their website
www.vscc.co.uk and enquire if an obituary was ever published.
Clarke was a staunch member of the VSCC in the 1950's and was a member of the VSCC of Australia when he was in Sydney with the Royal Navy in 1946 - 7

Brian Lear
Australia

#6 Antoine Pilette

Antoine Pilette

• 253 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 13:52

Tank you, I will contact the VSCC :up:

#7 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:07

It just hit me after reading an informative TNFer email.
But this Peter Clarke was the British owner of the 1914 GP Mercedes training car.

As said in Switzerland " lentement mais surement!"

#8 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:49

How well these photographs capture the essence of continental motor racing and its backdrops of the period.

Fantastic, thank you so much for sharing them.

#9 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:58

Originally posted by Paul Parker
How well these photographs capture the essence of continental motor racing and its backdrops of the period.

Fantastic, thank you so much for sharing them.

I'll second that, absolutely charming photos from a vanished world. Many thanks for posting them.

#10 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:11

This is my first post on this thread. However, I have just received a second email from the "Atlas F1 Bulletin Board team" which reads "...david venables has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Peter Clark - in the The Nostalgia Forum forum of Atlas F1 Bulletin Board..." The first email was the same except instead of "david venables" the name was Paul Parker. I emailed Paul and he doesn't know what this means either. What is going on?

Vince H.

#11 Kevan

Kevan

• 518 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:09

Some bulletin board software offers an option where you can be notified by email of subsequent postings in a thread you've posted in- you'll probably have had an email titled 'Kevan has just replied....'

If you'd not posted in the thread before though, that shouldn't happen- except there's also often an option to 'subscribe' to a thread, so that you're notified of subsequent postings etc whether you've posted in it or not- it's a feature I've used on other forums in the past- it's at the top right of the screen on here.

If you go to 'User CP' there should be a list of threads you've subscribed to and an option to 'unsubscribe' which should stop the emails, if that helps

Returning to my original reason for posting though, those really are fascinating pics- it is a whole different world to present-day racing...

#12 PyttsPete

PyttsPete

• 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:32

Only a very short postscript. My Uncle, also a Peter Clarke user to race Minis in the '60s and was once approached by 'the' Peter Clarke with a proposal to share a car in a 6 hour race I think at Brands Hatch. The idea was that the car would be driven by Peter Clarke / Peter Clarke. However in the end nothing came of it.

#13 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 16:41

Thanks, Kevan. Yes, I did get a "Kevan has just replied..." email. I followed your instructions and "unscubscribed", so hopefully that takes care of that! Maybe I clicked on the "subscribe" link by mistake at some point. Thanks again!

Vince H.

#14 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 16:50

Thanks and you are welcome.

#15 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 302 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 17:31

Hello Antoine,

I try to realize a file for each driver who drove in LE MANS since the begining.

So this is my file of Peter CLARKE.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Copyright : Haine Kane

A bientôt ...

PS : Are you in relation with the PILETTE family ?

#16 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 18:04

Aaaah!!! Merci beaucoup, je prends note.
Sorry for the misspelled name from the early posts as I thought I had done a proper research for once (insert a scratching head smiley.)

Yes, same family.

#17 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 20:45

Originally posted by raceannouncer2003
Thanks, Kevan. Yes, I did get a "Kevan has just replied..." email. I followed your instructions and "unscubscribed", so hopefully that takes care of that! Maybe I clicked on the "subscribe" link by mistake at some point. Thanks again!

Vince H.

Happened to me, too, a couple of times, until I realised that the button to subscribe to a thread is immediately below the "Search" button, top right of the screen...;) You can't be careful enough as to where to click your mouse!!! :lol: :stoned: