Photo

Lakeland Hillclimb Australia

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Darryltm

Darryltm

• 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 16:25

Does anyone know if Lakeland hillclimb track still exists or has it been swallowed up for housing.

And if it is exactly where it is ... 30 years since I went there last and I thought it was just out of Lilydale.

This track , as far as I remember, ran from the mid 60's thru to the mid 70's.

Would love to see this place again.

Advertisement

#2 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:33

Welcome Darryl....don't forget to introduce yourself in the appropriate thread.

Yeah....I remember Lakeland being quite popular.....sit back, I'm sure someone will know more :wave:

#3 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 20:08

I was at my grand-niece's birthday on New Year's Day, and overheard an older couple talking about a hillclimb. As I found out later, apparently it was Lakeland and it used to be on the property they now live on, which was behind my niece's house. This was on Old Gippsland Rd in Lilydale, right near the corner of Warburton Highway.

#4 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:37

Originally posted by David Shaw
I was at my grand-niece's birthday on New Year's Day, and overheard an older couple talking about a hillclimb. As I found out later, apparently it was Lakeland and it used to be on the property they now live on, which was behind my niece's house. This was on Old Gippsland Rd in Lilydale, right near the corner of Warburton Highway.

Your mission - should you accept it:

Go and introduce yourself to the neighbours and glean every skeric of information about Lakeland (including any pictures for scanning - ask nicely and don't let them down by losing there photographic treasures) then report back to TNF ASAP :up: :)

#5 Leo D

Leo D

• 426 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:33

I may be way off the mark here..... and I'm not sure how much of this is correct, if any, but the following info seems to come to mind..... I'm willing to be shot down in flames on any of this...

Wasn't the Lakeland Hillclimb part off a bigger overall "Lakeland" complex that had other family oriented activities?

Was a guy named Jim Abbot (sp?) involved somehow?...... I think he had an ex Alan Hamilton ??? Porsche (906) Spyder ???? that was converted to take an american v8 of some description?? The car moving onto Tom Sulman at some stage??? ....Murray Bingham (sp?) at some stage???....

Channel 10 (Melb) used to do outside broadcasts of motorsport from Lakeland hillclimb???

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,247 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 13:34

That had a Ford V8 at one time, but order was restored eventually... a Chev was fitted by Bingham and he dropped the 'Bingham Cobra' name...

Yes, I think Abbott was involved.