Jump to content


Photo

Rate the French Grand Prix


  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate the French Grand Prix (245 member(s) have cast votes)

  1. 1 - Terrible (24 votes [9.84%])

    Percentage of vote: 9.84%

  2. 2 - Rubbish (22 votes [9.02%])

    Percentage of vote: 9.02%

  3. 3 - Boring (66 votes [27.05%])

    Percentage of vote: 27.05%

  4. 4 - Often tedious (22 votes [9.02%])

    Percentage of vote: 9.02%

  5. 5 - A bit dull (31 votes [12.70%])

    Percentage of vote: 12.70%

  6. 6 - Not bad (36 votes [14.75%])

    Percentage of vote: 14.75%

  7. 7 - Good (22 votes [9.02%])

    Percentage of vote: 9.02%

  8. 8 - Great (8 votes [3.28%])

    Percentage of vote: 3.28%

  9. 9 - Fantastic (6 votes [2.46%])

    Percentage of vote: 2.46%

  10. 10 - Perfect (7 votes [2.87%])

    Percentage of vote: 2.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk
  • Member

  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined: May 05

Posted 16 July 2006 - 13:35

Hands up if you like strategy races...

Advertisement

#2 ensign14

ensign14
  • Member

  • 37,534 posts
  • Joined: December 01

Posted 16 July 2006 - 13:37

Only thing that saves it from a 1 was the slight interest of Renault doublebluffing Ferrari into ruining Massa's race.

#3 RuB

RuB
  • Member

  • 964 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 16 July 2006 - 13:38

boring to death

#4 clampett

clampett
  • Member

  • 1,748 posts
  • Joined: June 06

Posted 16 July 2006 - 13:39

terrible

#5 primer

primer
  • Member

  • 6,664 posts
  • Joined: April 06

Posted 16 July 2006 - 13:40

Originally posted by F1Fanatic.co.uk
Hands up if you like strategy races...


Apart from Alonso taking P2, there was no point of interest.

That was Terrible!

#6 carbonfibre

carbonfibre
  • Member

  • 6,292 posts
  • Joined: February 05

Posted 16 July 2006 - 13:41

Originally posted by ensign14
Only thing that saves it from a 1 was the slight interest of Renault doublebluffing Ferrari into ruining Massa's race.

Nah that wasnt Renault brilliance, rather the fact that Massa lost way to much time in his 2nd stint.

After the first stint he was 6 sec behind Michael, at the end before his pitstop he was 20 sec behind Michael.... And only 10 sec ahead of Alonso.

While Michael gained time Massa lost time which costed him his 2nd place.

FORZA FERRARI!!

Ferrari is getting stronger and stronger, Michael is showing them that he is still the boss. If they can keep this momentum going we are in for a thrilling championship battle. Especially if Massa can get a couple of 2nd places away from Alonso.

#7 HBoss

HBoss
  • Member

  • 4,220 posts
  • Joined: August 03

Posted 16 July 2006 - 13:49

3

#8 FredF1

FredF1
  • Member

  • 1,984 posts
  • Joined: April 00

Posted 16 July 2006 - 13:58

Yet again everybody is in a mad panic to overtake one another at the start and then decide to wait until the pit stopzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.


With any luck the FIA and GPMA will sue each other out of existence and we'll be rid of the whole ****ing lot of them. :rolleyes:

#9 carbonfibre

carbonfibre
  • Member

  • 6,292 posts
  • Joined: February 05

Posted 16 July 2006 - 14:01

O and btw Michael actually had a good start this race! He was come just as the light went out. Good thing Ferrari is working on the starting stuff.

#10 jigc

jigc
  • Member

  • 167 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 16 July 2006 - 14:01

boring :down:

#11 kar

kar
  • Member

  • 10,308 posts
  • Joined: January 06

Posted 16 July 2006 - 14:09

Perfect.

That is if like me you're a Michael/Ferrari fan.

One of the most boring of the year if you're not.

The Barrichello train at the start of the race says everything about what's wrong with this sport. I read on the front page the GPMA stating 'engine development improves the sporting spectacle'. I don't have a lot of time for Mosely, but he's nowhere near out of touch with sporting spectacle as clearly the GPMA are...

#12 Sakae

Sakae
  • Member

  • 19,256 posts
  • Joined: December 03

Posted 16 July 2006 - 14:14

Almost perfect. FM is as suspected, too green to hold race speed in a very good car even on a track where overtaking is difficult. That's in my opinion is good enough reason to replace him.

#13 primer

primer
  • Member

  • 6,664 posts
  • Joined: April 06

Posted 16 July 2006 - 14:16

Originally posted by MiPe
That's in my opinion is good enough reason to replace him.


Whom do you propose should replace Massa?

#14 PhilKerr

PhilKerr
  • Member

  • 1,572 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 16 July 2006 - 14:17

Great result although would have preferred Massa 2nd but the race was a pile of shit

1/10

#15 kar

kar
  • Member

  • 10,308 posts
  • Joined: January 06

Posted 16 July 2006 - 14:18

Kimi, and when Alonso wiggles out of his McBoomer contract Ron will have to beg Juan Pablo to come back :)

#16 Sakae

Sakae
  • Member

  • 19,256 posts
  • Joined: December 03

Posted 16 July 2006 - 14:28

Originally posted by primer


Whom do you propose should replace Massa?

Kimi or Alonso, says my head. Nico says my heart. But then, I do care only about one name (in racing sense) anyway.

#17 santori

santori
  • Member

  • 3,964 posts
  • Joined: July 04

Posted 16 July 2006 - 14:28

For the first time in years I went away to do something else while the race was on. Fortunately, I came back in time to see Webber's tyre fall apart, so I didn't miss any of the action.

#18 PhilKerr

PhilKerr
  • Member

  • 1,572 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 16 July 2006 - 14:36

Every year Magny Cours provides a dull and boring race, time it was dumped, I would rather even have a VIP only Paul Ricard race than have to sit through another "race" at this shit hole

#19 Rallimies Kujala

Rallimies Kujala
  • Member

  • 495 posts
  • Joined: March 06

Posted 16 July 2006 - 14:37

Would have voted terrible if not for Kimi's pass which made it rubbish. :D

Advertisement

#20 HBoss

HBoss
  • Member

  • 4,220 posts
  • Joined: August 03

Posted 16 July 2006 - 14:38

Originally posted by PhilKerr
Every year Magny Cours provides a dull and boring race, time it was dumped, I would rather even have a VIP only Paul Ricard race than have to sit through another "race" at this shit hole


Exactly.
I get better than VIP treatment form the comfort of my home.

#21 fifi

fifi
  • Member

  • 12,154 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 16 July 2006 - 14:46

well it wasnt great

#22 SeanValen

SeanValen
  • Member

  • 16,933 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 16 July 2006 - 14:48

Originally posted by carbonfibre
O and btw Michael actually had a good start this race! He was come just as the light went out. Good thing Ferrari is working on the starting stuff.


Originally posted by kar
Perfect.

That is if like me you're a Michael/Ferrari fan.

One of the most boring of the year if you're not.

The Barrichello train at the start of the race says everything about what's wrong with this sport. I read on the front page the GPMA stating 'engine development improves the sporting spectacle'. I don't have a lot of time for Mosely, but he's nowhere near out of touch with sporting spectacle as clearly the GPMA are...



:up: :up: :up:



On days like this, if those team/drivers do well and the result is needed, just won't be a boring race as it to others, I've had my attack on fia rules, I know the problems, f1 isn't as good as it used to be, written on that so many times, but today it was awesome seeing MS on the edge with his fast laps, a 8 times winner here, I knew he would go well here, these type of results show the efforts behind it, and behind the scenes, it's very satisfying to see them fighting, WILL is everything sometimes. :smoking: :smoking:When the FIA **** up the rules, enjoy the ferrari highs or whenever team/driver you support does well, what else can you do????????????:smoking: :smoking:

:up:

#23 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

  • 16,837 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 16 July 2006 - 14:54

Originally posted by ensign14
Only thing that saves it from a 1 was the slight interest of Renault doublebluffing Ferrari into ruining Massa's race.


Same for me. It was unquestionably Schumachers race and he did an amazing job, but Pat Symonds is my man of the race for doing something I didn't at all expect and certainly something Ferrari didn't.

#24 Rallimies Kujala

Rallimies Kujala
  • Member

  • 495 posts
  • Joined: March 06

Posted 16 July 2006 - 14:57

Originally posted by SeanValen

it was awesome seeing MS on the edge with his fast laps, a 8 times winner here, I knew he would go well here, these type of results show the efforts behind it, and behind the scenes, it's very satisfying to see them fighting, WILL is everything sometimes. :smoking: :smoking:


You could say all that if he had made even one genuine passing attempt with his faster car instead of just sitting behind Alonso and waiting for him to pit. Surely tactically it was astute but in no way was it on the edge fighting.

#25 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

  • 16,837 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 16 July 2006 - 15:01

Originally posted by SeanValen

but today it was awesome seeing MS on the edge with his fast laps,


Ok now before you read what I have to say understand that this is not a criticism of schumacher so no fanboy upset please.

But.

How can you see that he is any more 'on the edge' than anyone else out there? All the drivers are going all out to don their best and for some their cars are not working properly and others the cars simply are not as good, and I honestly can't see that Schumacher was any more 'on the edge' from either the in-car shots or not than Alonso or Kimi when we saw them.

It simply is not good enough that anyone needs to rely on being able to discern whether this is or is not the case in order to work out that it is a great performance. He made no errors, and that's really all there is to it isn't it? Otherwise this is no less dull than an Alonso win from pole.

#26 BorderReiver

BorderReiver
  • Member

  • 9,953 posts
  • Joined: April 03

Posted 16 July 2006 - 15:20

Another yawner.

#27 m9a3r5i7o2n

m9a3r5i7o2n
  • Member

  • 241 posts
  • Joined: February 05

Posted 16 July 2006 - 15:27

I get the feeling that we are in for another 5 years of being bored to death.
# 1 M.S. qualifies #1
# 2 M.S. wins race.
# 3 I quit watching the races!!!!!

M.L. Anderson

#28 MP4/?

MP4/?
  • Member

  • 911 posts
  • Joined: August 00

Posted 16 July 2006 - 15:32

Originally posted by m9a3r5i7o2n
I get the feeling that we are in for another 5 years of being bored to death.
# 1 M.S. qualifies #1
# 2 M.S. wins race.
# 3 I quit watching the races!!!!!

M.L. Anderson



:wave:

Don't hit the door when you leave... :kiss:

#29 SeanValen

SeanValen
  • Member

  • 16,933 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 16 July 2006 - 15:32

Originally posted by Buttoneer


Ok now before you read what I have to say understand that this is not a criticism of schumacher so no fanboy upset please.

But.

How can you see that he is any more 'on the edge' than anyone else out there? All the drivers are going all out to don their best and for some their cars are not working properly and others the cars simply are not as good



Why is it when Kimi and Alonso have the package to win races, they are the fastest drivers in the world like in 2005, and Schumi was finished and a old boy, , because there's idiots out there who thought schumi was finished, so when schumi was on the edge today with a package to win, which some dopes out there need to see he has lost NOTHING. MS has demonstrated his skills over many years, it's always good to put on a fine performance and extract great speed from a car and say **** you to your critics **** YOU TO To critics and those fools in f1 racing mag you thought he couldn't challenge for a title this year, and they said it in the winter mag.


In general, when I'm celebrating like today, just ignore me, I speak more sense the day after a ferrari victory yeah, too much beer.


:lol:

#30 kismet

kismet
  • Member

  • 7,038 posts
  • Joined: February 03

Posted 16 July 2006 - 15:33

Well, I kind of liked the fact that the two teams I dislike the least were both competitive and it's always great when someone wipes that smirk off Flavio's face, but other than that.... :

I don't know if it's just me but Magny Cours seems to be one of those circuits that look ridiculously scalextricky (yeah, I just made that up) on TV. Maybe it's the camera angles or something but it doesn't look 'real', if that makes any sense.

#31 PassWind

PassWind
  • Member

  • 4,903 posts
  • Joined: February 05

Posted 16 July 2006 - 15:43

Originally posted by MP4/?


:wave:

Don't hit the door when you leave... :kiss:



Is that like act like a tree and go? :rotfl:

#32 Lontano

Lontano
  • Member

  • 1,990 posts
  • Joined: January 04

Posted 16 July 2006 - 15:46

i had a great time following Pedro (after all, he's the only driver that makes me watch the races with passion), but i admit it wasn't a very interesting race.

#33 Imperial

Imperial
  • Member

  • 2,729 posts
  • Joined: February 02

Posted 16 July 2006 - 16:45

Today's example was no more a race than pitting a Porsche against a Lada.

That was such a prime example of one package (or tyre...) being better than the other and another team simply having nothing to offer a different team at this particular track on this particular weekend.

That was simply F1 hell.

No offence to Michael (congrats, job well done and all that) but I don't know how he has the nerve to "race" in F1 events like today in the same week that he said going round in circles in NASCAR would not be appealing to him like the challenge of F1 is. Ha ha ha !!!!

#34 HoldenRT

HoldenRT
  • Member

  • 5,524 posts
  • Joined: May 05

Posted 16 July 2006 - 16:53

We saw more racing in qually then we did in the race.

#35 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

  • 16,837 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 16 July 2006 - 20:21

Originally posted by SeanValen

In general, when I'm celebrating like today, just ignore me, I speak more sense the day after a ferrari victory


I guess that remains to be seen...!

#36 valachus

valachus
  • Member

  • 1,073 posts
  • Joined: July 05

Posted 16 July 2006 - 20:25

Originally posted by Rallimies Kujala


You could say all that if he had made even one genuine passing attempt with his faster car instead of just sitting behind Alonso and waiting for him to pit. Surely tactically it was astute but in no way was it on the edge fighting.


Heh, yeah, why choose to do it safe and clean when you can attack needlessly your direct WDC contender and risk ending up without points or even penalized by the stewards for dangerous driving, much for the amusement of your bashers and haters.

#37 Sakae

Sakae
  • Member

  • 19,256 posts
  • Joined: December 03

Posted 16 July 2006 - 20:30

Originally posted by SeanValen



Why is it when Kimi and Alonso have the package to win races, they are the fastest drivers in the world like in 2005, and Schumi was finished and a old boy, , because there's idiots out there who thought schumi was finished, so when schumi was on the edge today with a package to win, which some dopes out there need to see he has lost NOTHING. MS has demonstrated his skills over many years, it's always good to put on a fine performance and extract great speed from a car and say **** you to your critics **** YOU TO To critics and those fools in f1 racing mag you thought he couldn't challenge for a title this year, and they said it in the winter mag.


In general, when I'm celebrating like today, just ignore me, I speak more sense the day after a ferrari victory yeah, too much beer.


:lol:

Cheers! I have decided to have a drink too. We celebrate and worry about next races tomorrow.

#38 kar

kar
  • Member

  • 10,308 posts
  • Joined: January 06

Posted 16 July 2006 - 21:05

Originally posted by Imperial
Today's example was no more a race than pitting a Porsche against a Lada.

That was such a prime example of one package (or tyre...) being better than the other and another team simply having nothing to offer a different team at this particular track on this particular weekend.

That was simply F1 hell.

No offence to Michael (congrats, job well done and all that) but I don't know how he has the nerve to "race" in F1 events like today in the same week that he said going round in circles in NASCAR would not be appealing to him like the challenge of F1 is. Ha ha ha !!!!


I guess in F1 it's a lot more complex than it looks. When everything works pole to flag looks pretty easy, but if it was _that_ easy why didn't Massa win (team orders aside.. :)).

Same could be said for Alonso. When he wins he often makes it look pretty easy and processional. But to get the setup, car, tyres, weather all right, and thats before you even turn a wheel in the race, it's a a complicated chain to get right.

It's something only Ferrari and Renault have this season.

NASCAR it's less technical, and I think that was the particular point Michael made. Plus turning corners both left and right must be an attraction :)

#39 ivanalesi

ivanalesi
  • Member

  • 1,767 posts
  • Joined: August 04

Posted 16 July 2006 - 22:06

Very dull, especially w/ our commentators :down: This track should be changed to have overtaking spot.

Advertisement

#40 RRT1963

RRT1963
  • Member

  • 549 posts
  • Joined: July 02

Posted 17 July 2006 - 00:15

At least watching the race in Canada it only takes up two hours of a Sunday morning and you can do what you want with the rest of the day.
That was an incredibly dull race.

#41 Spunout

Spunout
  • Member

  • 12,351 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 17 July 2006 - 00:39

Why is it when Kimi and Alonso have the package to win races, they are the fastest drivers in the world like in 2005, and Schumi was finished and a old boy, , because there's idiots out there who thought schumi was finished, so when schumi was on the edge today with a package to win, which some dopes out there need to see he has lost NOTHING.


Because of the same reason now lots of people are confident Alonso and Schumacher (who, this year have the best cars) are now the best drivers, ahead of Räikkönen. If next year Ferrari delivers 2004-style supercar and McLaren ends up struggling, most likely Schumacher and Räikkönen will be the two best drivers, ahead of Alonso. That´s how it goes.

#42 Spunout

Spunout
  • Member

  • 12,351 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 17 July 2006 - 00:42

This track should be changed to have overtaking spot.



The track has an excellent overtaking spot. It´s the cars to blame.

#43 stuartbrs

stuartbrs
  • Member

  • 689 posts
  • Joined: September 02

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:41

Well, that was dull...

It would appear that Formula One no longer cares if I watch or not.

#44 wiligates

wiligates
  • Member

  • 2,785 posts
  • Joined: August 00

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:59

Well the best part was when Schumacher over took Alonso then Alonso over took Schumacher and and ... . Oh hang on that was qualifying .
Montoya summed it up when he said F1 is just about driving fast for two hours , not racing.
Yes the cars are technically magnificent , they look great they go fast .But ****ed if they can pass each other .

#45 swaction

swaction
  • Member

  • 654 posts
  • Joined: May 01

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:35

Its as if after the first lap James and Martin go into "now, lets recap" mode and just go over the same crap - they could at least talk it up a bit, tell the story of the weekend so far.. all JA does is perpetuate stupid rumours and put shit on the lesser teams.. there have been times when a midland, or years gone past, minardi are on screen and they still crap on about jenson button, et al.

ffs.

#46 John B

John B
  • Member

  • 6,312 posts
  • Joined: June 99

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:25

Not a good sign when you leave the weather channel on for 15 minutes, forgetting the last 20 laps are on.... :yawn:

#47 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

  • 16,837 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 17 July 2006 - 16:19

7 people chose perfect. Got to be blind people relying on James Allens overexcited voice.

#48 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk
  • Member

  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined: May 05

Posted 17 July 2006 - 16:22

Originally posted by ivanalesi
This track should be changed to have overtaking spot.

I don't agree - the GP2 drivers managed no problem. The cars should be changed to have slick tyres and less downforce, so they can follow each other closer through fast corners.

#49 noikeee

noikeee
  • Member

  • 9,757 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 17 July 2006 - 19:12

2 - rubbish.

I switched to a random CSI episode with 4 or 5 laps left and didn't even bother watching the finish.

#50 kar

kar
  • Member

  • 10,308 posts
  • Joined: January 06

Posted 17 July 2006 - 22:29

Originally posted by Buttoneer
7 people chose perfect. Got to be blind people relying on James Allens overexcited voice.


Or Ferrari fans. The same ones who voted boring at Barca and Silverstone :)