Photo

W B 'Bummer' Scott

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Bergman-Fiel

Brian Bergman-Fiel

• 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:50

Can anyone out there tell me something of the history of W B Scott, at present I have nothing but a watch, which was presented to him in 1928 for setting speed records in his Amilcar.
Many thanks,
Brian

Advertisement

#2 Steve L

Steve L

• 241 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:11

There is a great article by Bill Boddy in the December 1976 edition of Motor Sport magazine called "The Racing Cars of W.B Scott".

Hope this helps :)

#3 Brian Bergman-Fiel

Brian Bergman-Fiel

• 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 16:23

Many thanks, I'll try tracking down that article.
Brian

#4 humphries

humphries

• 918 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:02

In recent publications I have come across the use of the nickname "Bummer" for the driver W.B.Scott who raced regularly at Brooklands between the wars. Scott was never, ever called Bummer!!!

Scott was a Scot who went to Cambridge University and excelled at Rugby Union. By the standards of the day he was a good player and was selected to play for Scotland. Although he scored a try he only represented his country once. It was during this period that he acquired the nickname "Bomber". For a big, burly sportsmen "Bomber" was a common nickname as they could blast their opposition. Scott had a strong Scottish accent and it can only be assumed that Bill Boddy misheard his nickname in his interview.

I have read various contemporary articles where the name "Bomber" was mentioned. Near at hand I have a copy of the February 16th, 1951 edition of Autosport. In the Corresponence section there is a letter from J.Allan Arnold, a regular Bugatti driver at Brooklands, and he writes about a sprint held at Branches Park in 1930, "But in the interval that all too familiar "Yowl" to the paddock approach premised the arrival of "Bomber" Scott and his 1 1/2 "Deluge" as it was popularly known and, of course, he made FTD..."

Whilst I'm at it. B.S.Marshall a successful Bugatti driver in the early 1920's was never ever called "Bunny". Again it was Bill Boddy who attributed this nickname to Marshall. Boddy was referring to various Aston Martins that all had nicknames and the one that Marshall drove, just once, was known as "Bunny". Boddy then referred to Marshall as "Bunny" Marshall. Marshall's first name was Bertram and he was known to family and friends as "Bertie".

#5 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 14:54

Thanks John - pleased to learn W B Scott's correct nickname after all these years :)

I think I'd worked out for myself what Boddy meant by his reference to Marshall - in the same way as he might have referred to "Razorblade" Davis. Or did we discuss the question here some time ago?

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,442 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 15:33

Or did we discuss the question here some time ago?

Yes indeed - with the same conclusion:

Bertram 'Bunny' Marshall

#7 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 19:40

Thanks Tim. I knew I could rely on you :up:

Bit embarrassing to see who raised the 'Bunny' question, though :lol:

#8 RobertE

RobertE

• 169 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 20:43

There's a lump in the road at Wiscombe called 'Bunny's leap'. Any connection?

#9 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 21:27

More likely connected with a small furry mammal than with a driver, I suspect

#10 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 477 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:37

I understood it was named for the owners wife who's nickname was 'Bunny'.