Photo

Indy - Why not run the full oval?

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#201 Lukin83

Lukin83

• 754 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 13:37

Lewis Hamilton racing in NASCAR series would be a better idea than an oval F1 track :stoned:

Advertisement

#202 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,881 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 15:24

Originally posted by Lukin83
Lewis Hamilton racing in NASCAR series would be a better idea than an oval F1 track :stoned:

thats a good idea actully ;)
Has there been a black nascar driver before?

#203 IOU 16

IOU 16

• 328 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 15:31

Originally posted by pingu666

Back in the days of Richard Petty and Daivid Pearson. Wendall Scott won a race as well. There was one a few years back, hmmm... name escapes me, but he ran with Bill Davis Racing (same team Villienuve tried to race for), and did some Nascar Trucks, and is now in Grand Am.

#204 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 19:52

Originally posted by IOU 16

Back in the days of Richard Petty and Daivid Pearson. Wendall Scott won a race as well. There was one a few years back, hmmm... name escapes me, but he ran with Bill Davis Racing (same team Villienuve tried to race for), and did some Nascar Trucks, and is now in Grand Am.

Bill Lester.

There's another one, but Wendell was THE MAN.

Willy T Ribbs.

But Wendell Scott, what an example of the triumph of pure, in-it-cos-I-want-it moxie and hard work, tinged with a little self protection and intimidation.

(You think Dale Earnhardt was called "The Intimidator?" Wendell Scott once carried a revolver in his car amid legit threats from other drivers that they were going to wreck him, as a colored man didn't belong in their sport. After a turn banging wheels, ol' Wendell just showed Mr Idiot Racist his .38 special and the race continued without incident.)

#205 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 23:46

Interesting points from a thread this old.

I do agree G-Forces would be a factor, and the lack of experience as well (like early IRL pretty much) but people are using the full 500 miles comparison, which is completely off the mark.

F1 races just go a maximum of 300Km, that's less than 200 miles. So ultimately, it would only be around 67 laps the race distance at the indy oval.

#206 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 00:24

Ovals? ):

#207 rye&ginger

rye&ginger

• 231 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 03:02

Originally posted by Slyder
Interesting points from a thread this old.

I do agree G-Forces would be a factor, and the lack of experience as well (like early IRL pretty much) but people are using the full 500 miles comparison, which is completely off the mark.

F1 races just go a maximum of 300Km, that's less than 200 miles. So ultimately, it would only be around 67 laps the race distance at the indy oval.

The race would be over in a bit over an hour though then. Not what we will want Im thinking.

#208 AyePirate

AyePirate

• 5,818 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 16:18

Originally posted by rye&ginger

The race would be over in a bit over an hour though then.

ssssssshhhhhhhh don't give my wife any ideas ;)

#209 Aubwi

Aubwi

• 452 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 16:36

On ovals, drivers can use tethers or other supports to hold their heads upright, so I don't think fitness would be a big problem. The biggest problem would probably be safety. F1 cars being so light, they would be very prone to getting airborne, and the laptimes could be incredibly fast. But it would be simple to make them carry some extra ballast.

But I think we all know it will never happen because of politics.

#210 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 2,834 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 16:38

i like this idea of F1 cars racing on oval track, 1 per year is good (no more than 2 oval a year).

so we'll have road course / street circuit / oval track - doubt Bernie will let this happen though.

#211 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,881 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 16:45

bernie wont be around forever tho...

#212 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 296 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 17:04

Interesting idea, but it just ain't going to happen.
The risk is always going to outweigh the benefits.
Plus, the only (American) oval that would make any sense for F1 would be Indy, and do you seriously think that Tony George is going to allow another single seater race around there which could detract (in terms of car performance and publicity) from the 500?

#213 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,881 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 17:17

theres plenty of other ovals, daytona for example

#214 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,106 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 17:24

This would either be an IRL-style slot car race with everyone going hopelessly full throttle, or it would be a massacre. Daytona is not a place for open-wheel cars.

#215 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 296 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 17:29

There are, but from a marketing perspective would F1 go to none "name" oval?
And would the locals turn up? Can you imagine how empty it would look if they didn't?
As for Daytona, if the IRL won't use the oval for safety reasons, you can be damned skippy F1 won't.
The road course might be intersting, but do the France family really want to put F1 on at their premier track, when they're doing quite nicely with NASCAR?
TBH in America F1 needs a street course on the east or west coast. Say, like Long Beach...
If they did try an oval, Europe would be the best place to start, as odd as that may seem, as they'd have the regular fan base to fill the venue.
Lausitzring or Rockingham would be interesting places to start.

#216 Man of the race

Man of the race

• 1,277 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 17:41

I find the idea untempting, uninteresting, unnatural and unsafe. F1 cars can not lean to each other. Besides that, are there any other things that make it harder to happen?
Should tires for example be redesigned?

#217 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:34

Originally posted by blackhand2010
Interesting idea, but it just ain't going to happen.
The risk is always going to outweigh the benefits.
Plus, the only (American) oval that would make any sense for F1 would be Indy, and do you seriously think that Tony George is going to allow another single seater race around there which could detract (in terms of car performance and publicity) from the 500?

As far as I know, NASCARs have one seat each. :confused:

#218 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,237 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:21

Originally posted by Clatter

True, but it has steadily got worse, and now they have the rev limit which means they can't even slip stream down the straights. Everything is dependent on the car in front making a mistake.

The teams can change the gears once for every race, so the rev limit is not a restriction.

#219 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:05

never will happen in Daytona. 31 degrees banking will propense suicidally high speeds, vortex effect would be dangerously high.

Indy or Pocono (if they repave it and refurbish it) would be the best, because they got less banking.

Advertisement

#220 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:40

What's the vortex effect?

#221 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:37

Vortex, Vertigo, G-Forces would be so unbelievably high that drivers would start passing out.

Example, CART @ Texas.

#222 wonk123

wonk123

• 966 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:08

Originally posted by OfficeLinebacker

Willy T Ribbs.

Who could forget Willie T, When I lived in Charlotte, John boy & Billy were always taking the piss outa poor Willie.

I actually like the idea, but agree Tony George would probably baulk at it, and I seriosuly doubt you would want to run Daytona with that kind of banking or Talledega.

Very much earlier someone mentioned 1.5 mile courses, but since most of these have massive banking as well I cant see it being feasable. Although I do love oval night races ala Winston Select or whatever it is called now.

The other place I would love to see, but would never happen is Mt Panorama in Australia

I cant find the full footage, but this is my second favourite incar footage (after Ari at pikes peak)

#223 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,245 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:21

Originally posted by Melbourne Park

The teams can change the gears once for every race, so the rev limit is not a restriction.

Um... yes it is. You HAVE to tune the car to hit the rev limiter at the end of the longest straight otherwise you'll be losing so much time overtaking won't be an issue anyway, you won't get to do any of it.

Before you could slipstream and be quicker at the end of the straight by briefly allowing more revs (and this was done a lot), now at best, you'll be going the same terminal velocity as the guy in front even with all the slipstream in the world.

#224 Rabbit123

Rabbit123

• 255 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:32

OVAL? no...

#225 Georg_Kuyumji

Georg_Kuyumji

• 664 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:25

F1 back on the Indianapolis Oval would be awesome, but engine power would have to be slowed down somehow, they would go to fast.

But it would be great to see half of the field bunched up within 3 seconds

#226 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,188 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 23:02

Six in the top series (Grand National/Cup)...

Charlie Scott
Wendell Scott
George Wiltshire
Randy Bethea
Willy T. Ribbs
Bill Lester

Wendell Scott made more starts in any one given season than all the others combined (something like 8 starts combined for the others).

#227 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,881 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 05:09

cool:)

#228 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:30

Racing on an oval would suck i believe. But i'd love to see some bonus session. Kinda like everyone gets a few tries to go around as fast as he can prior to the actual race in the infield. One could promote the bonus session with points to ensure they're really going as fast as possible. And one had to do it prior to race so that noone deliberately crashes their cars by going over the limit. I suppose they would be well faster than 239mph in average.

#229 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 20:22

Originally posted by Hippo
Racing on an oval would suck i believe. But i'd love to see some bonus session. Kinda like everyone gets a few tries to go around as fast as he can prior to the actual race in the infield. One could promote the bonus session with points to ensure they're really going as fast as possible. And one had to do it prior to race so that noone deliberately crashes their cars by going over the limit. I suppose they would be well faster than 239mph in average.

After having watched many historic Indy videos, I can't help but want to see what are supposedly the best drivers in the best equipment compete on that squoval.

Whether before, as a full race, bonus session, whatever, I'd like to see it.

#230 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,881 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 21:34

id really like to see it aswell...

#231 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,400 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 21:46

How about two heats for equal points? One the full oval, the other the GP course?