Photo

GP 100 See Red

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 707 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:46

Is this worth going to, have not seen any entry lists yet?

http://www.see-red.uk.com/

Advertisement

#2 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:56

The entry list won't be available yet, but all the signs are that there should be a pretty good variety of cars to see spanning the 100 years of GP racing.

There is a TGP cars race, pre-'66 GP cars, Williams Trophy for 2-seat GP cars, Vintage racing cars, BRDC 50s Sports Cars, plus parades of early cars and modern GP cars, etc..

#3 Mark Ballard

Mark Ballard

• 163 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:10

There will also be a 5 lap edwardian race which should have a very similar entry to the VSCC race at Mallory 2 weeks ago.

#4 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 18:12

It's also £25 a day.. with no on-line discount and no weekend ticket available. :mad: :mad:

With a family of 5 I'll be giving it a miss.
Rob

#5 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 706 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:27

Originally posted by Rob Ryder
It's also £25 a day.. with no on-line discount and no weekend ticket available. :mad: :mad:

With a family of 5 I'll be giving it a miss.
Rob

Are you sure? Sounds very unlike the VSCC to me

#6 Charles Helps

Charles Helps

• 383 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 13:02

Originally posted by Dutchy

I agree and the site's ticket webpage gives more information on tickets and availability.

#7 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 14:57

Originally posted by Dutchy

They've dropped it £5 per day from the original price.. now ONLY £20 per day..

'Advance tickets are not available to the general public' .
'Registered Car Clubs and Vintage Sports-Car Club Members : £15.00 per person'.

Obvioulsy not as user/customer friendly as the HSCC. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Rob

#8 Gav Astill

Gav Astill

• 239 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 20:43

Chaps, this meeting is looking pretty good. To quote a promo email recieved this week from Classic and Sportscar magazine;

"Highlights of this entry include: Twenty Edwardian Racing Cars, don’t miss this one off event! Fifteen pre-war Bugattis racing for the Williams Trophy Race with other special cars such as Alfa Romeo P3, Aston Martin and Frazer Nash Nurburg. The ex Hans Reusch Alfa Romeo 8C-35 in which he won the 1936 Donington Grand Prix with Richard Seaman competing in the Historic Seaman Race Twenty Four Formula One cars from the 1967 – 1984 period competing with the Thoroughbred Grand Prix car championship.

In addition to the Grand Prix car action, thrilling support races will complete a stunning weekend of on track action. These grids include:

The British Racing Drivers Club 1950s Sports Car Race, the final race of their 2006 championship which features Mark Gillies driving Rodney Smith’s Maserati 300S, fresh from the Goodwood Revival and Hubert Fabri’s exquisite Aston Martin DB3S amongst others

The ex Bob MacIntyre Matchless and 1948 Swiss Grand Prix Velocette in the two Lansdowne Motor Cycle Races, surpasses anything else that will be seen in historic motorcycle racing anywhere in the world!

Sports Racing Masters competing in a 1 hour race including Shaun Lynn and Chris Ball driving Ford GT40s, and Julian Bronson in a 1965 McLaren MB1 with other fiery endurance racers from the 1961-1965 era

Off track there is plenty to keep all spectators amused with several air displays featuring a Spitfire and an Aontonov bi-plane, an indoor display of ‘Racing Car Oddities and Delights’ from the Past 100 Years, a Vintage Car Concours, Ferrari Owners Club display, Veteran and Edwardian Grand Prix Run Rally, bouncy castle, trade exhibition and Car Clubs Classic Car Party sponsored by Classic and Sports Car Magazine and Aon."

Sunday looks like much the best day.

#9 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 22:34

Entry list looks pretty good - certainly the best VSCC entry this year. The Williams Trophy has 16 Bugattis entered (although the press release says 15)- the largest number for many a year - including the return of Charles Dean with his Type 51, as well as Duncan Ricketts with Julian Majzub's Dixon Riley. 7 ERAs in the Historic Seaman Trophy plus Tony Smith and Ned Spieker with Alfa P3s, and Peter Greenfield with the Alfa 8C-35.

Sunday definitely the best day for racing - only three races on Saturday, a Lansdowne Motor Bike race plus Sports Racing Masters (1 hour) and VSCC Team Relay (2 hours!) scheduled to finish at 6.45 pm.

There was scheduled to be a press call of 100 GP cars on the circuit today - did anyone attend?

#10 Steve L

Steve L

• 547 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:44

Are ERAs R11B & R4D amongst the entries Alan? And are there any Maseratis?

#11 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 14:35

I'm hoping to go on the Sunday, weather permitting.

#12 JohnB

JohnB

• 69 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 15:50

Just spotted that they're demonstrating the V16 B.R.M. from the Donington Collection on Sunday too:
http://www.vscc.co.u...news.jsp?id=149

#13 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 15:56

The ERAs entered, Steve, are R3A, AJM 1, Duncan's E Type, R4D, R12B, R7B, and R1A but no R11B for the first time in many years.

Only Maserati is David Morris in Rodney Smith's 4CL

#14 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 16:18

Originally posted by Alan Cox
Only Maserati is David Morris in Rodney Smith's 4CL

Only Maserati in that race...

#15 Squire Straker

Squire Straker

• 95 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 18:14

Spent a lot of money crossing the Irish Sea for two days for the event. Felt disappointed though that it lacked a VSCC feel to it. Enjoyed seeing the 60s sports cars on Saturday, but the relay race,what a bore.
Sunday, could not wait to get home, five laps of the Edwardians, DFVs wall to wall, some "old" Bugattis, some less so. An ERA with a fog lamp on the back, I was loosing the will to live by 4.00pm. One day really would have sufficed for the whole thing. As for the autojumble, hm......
Finally plane delayed by those headless chickens who protested at the airport thet morning/
SS

#16 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:30

I ended up not going as some work came up.

Does anyone have any pictures ?

#17 Scuderia SSS

Scuderia SSS

• 251 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:53

I do.
Just sorting through them and preparing to post them up.
Will do that tonight when i get home from work.
Seeing Phil Read buzz round the track in the bike race was great. He came second too, and only by a smidgen. Good old boy, and a nice bloke to chat to.

#18 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 16:30

Sorry to hear that Squirestraker didn't enjoy his weekend. However, if anyone has followed the progress of this event over the past four or five years, they will realise that it is not a typical VSCC meeting. It is the club's high-profile, highly publicised effort to draw in new faces to a historic meeting, and by showing them the variety on offer, hope that they will return. Thus there are no "clubbie" handicaps, and new categories such as TGP and Group C have been introduced. The club needs to make a profit from its race meetings, and an event like this helps to defray the losses made on its traditional meetings, and if Sunday's crowd was anything to go by, it looked to me as though they had succeeded.

Sunday's racing was some of the best I have seen for a few years. David Baker won the Edwardian race by 0.16 seconds from the spectacular Richard Scaldwell with his GN GP, a driver who caught the eye of Willie Green who was impressed by his car control and track craft. Charles Dean was one of 16 Bugattis in the Williams Trophy, and secured the win from a fired-up Dick Smith with his Nurburg 'Nash, and Duncan Ricketts in Julian Majzub's Dixon Riley. How any vintage enthusiast can fail to be moved by 16 Bugattis (genuine or not) I find hard to credit.

Jeff Stow took his Bugatti 35B to a last-lap victory in the Vintage Seaman from Jonathon Cobb's 'Nash, with a number of close dices further down the field. Admittedly Mark Gillies was unchallenged in the Historic Seaman with ERA R3A, but the race for second held one's attention for the full 12 laps, Mac Hulbert finally making the 2-litres of R4D tell against Duncan Ricketts brave defence of second spot with Ian Landy's 1½ litre R6B.

Gary Pearson (Lister) defended the lead for 1950s Sports Car honours, chased for the full race distance by Graeme Dodd's more nimble Cooper Monaco but holding on to the flag and Simon Hadfield battled with Michael Schryver for the Pre-66 GP race, Hadfield winning with Irvine Laidlaw's Brabham BT7.

I agree with Scuderia SSS that the bike races were great entertainment, and to see Phil Read giving the youngsters a master class was marvellous - and all run in the greatest sporting spirit.

#19 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 18:38

Originally posted by Squire Straker
Spent a lot of money crossing the Irish Sea for two days for the event. Felt disappointed though that it lacked a VSCC feel to it. Enjoyed seeing the 60s sports cars on Saturday, but the relay race,what a bore.
Sunday, could not wait to get home, five laps of the Edwardians, DFVs wall to wall, some "old" Bugattis, some less so. An ERA with a fog lamp on the back, I was loosing the will to live by 4.00pm. One day really would have sufficed for the whole thing.

You must have been at a different meeting to the one I attended, Squire!;)

I only attended on Sunday, and that went pretty quickly for me. The VSCC must have been quite pleased with the crowd. I don’t know how and where the event had been advertised, but a couple of only marginally petrol headed work colleagues attended (unprompted by me) and on Monday declared they hadn’t enjoyed such a good day out for yonks. The VSCC must be doing something right.

The Connaught that took that alarming rear end attack from the 250F at Monaco was there and fully repaired… although the Maserati sump graunchings had been left as evidence on the rollover bar.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wall to wall DFVs? I’m not going to complain about that! I spent a long time in the garages photographing the wonderfully diverse chassis and suspension designs of the DFV period. I could post lots of those but I know they won’t be to very one’s taste ;)

I was quite pleased with this shot. Just squint at it and pretend you can’t see the wire fence…

Posted Image

Advertisement

#20 Gav Astill

Gav Astill

• 239 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 18:57

Originally posted by David Beard
[B]
You must have been at a different meeting to the one I attended, Squire!;)

I was at the same one you were at David!.

The Edwardian Race was fascinating, if not for the competitive element, for the variety of machinery entered (although quite a few were Eswardian in 'spirit' rather than date of construction!). The following race contained more Bugatti's than I've ever seen in together, and the rest of the day contained a really good cross section of Historic racing.

I got there at 9, left at 6 and only regretted that I hadn't had time to see all I wanted to see.

A friend went on the Thursday and saw the pre-publicised V16 BRM and a Lancia D50 - were they there on Sunday? - maybe I missed them. Apart from that, great.

#21 rwhitworth

rwhitworth

• 145 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:16

I'm with David Beard on this one... wall-to-wall DFVs is what I was there to see, and I wasn't disappointed.

Particularly nice to see a recently-restored addition to the fleet: an ex-Howden Ganley BRM (Yardley livery) that has been in retirement since 1971. It successfully chased and overtook the only other 1971 entry - Tyrrell 001.

Also interesting to see the famously-crashed-at-Spa ex-Jackie Stewart BRM, now restored.

I took loads of pictures of the F1 stable - will post a link when I get time to polish and publish.

#22 Lotus 45

Lotus 45

• 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 15:06

Originally posted by LotusElise
I ended up not going as some work came up.

Does anyone have any pictures ?

Hi,

Just a few (of over 900) pics from the weekend. A fabulous two days thanks to the VSCC and superbly run by them. I'm totally with Alan Cox on this - if you missed it, I'd heartily recommend not doing the same next year!

Peter McFadyen

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 15:12

Blimey, who owns the MP4, and how did it get out of 'Ronland'??

#24 JohnB

JohnB

• 69 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 16:00

Originally posted by Mallory Dan
Blimey, who owns the MP4, and how did it get out of 'Ronland'??

The answer to the first part of the question is Dean Lanzante. Sorry, can't help you with the second part.

Originally posted by Gav Astill
A friend went on the Thursday and saw the pre-publicised V16 BRM and a Lancia D50 - were they there on Sunday? - maybe I missed them.

They were in the static display of cars from the Collection, but pretty sure neither of them ran on the Sunday (unless it was early morning before I got there). Pity, because I was looking forward to seeing that.

It was a good weekend for me anyway - much better, in my opinion, than in recent years where it's been too much taken over by races for the Ferrari/Maserati Challenge (which are great cars to look at, but I've never found their racing very good). Like someone else commented, though, I do miss the VSCC handicap races - they don't seem to have time to fit many of those in.

#25 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 16:23

I think that the MP4 belongs to Aaron Hsu, although it wa driven (very well) by Dean Lanzante. It is the ex-Lauda 1982 British GP winner, and the updated version won the US GP West in 1983 driven by John Watson.

I did hear that the two Andrew Tate-owned F1 cars, the Benetton B195 and Tyrrell 025, which should have accompanied Paul Osborne's Ferrari F93A in the F1 demo, didn't appear on track because the drivers didn't have the requisite licence - you need the right grade of licence to do a demo these days! I believe that this may have been why the BRM wasn't demonstrated over the weekend.

PS. Nice pics, Peter - you haven't lost your touch! Good to catch up with you on Sunday.

#26 JohnB

JohnB

• 69 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 16:36

Originally posted by Alan Cox
I think that the MP4 belongs to Aaron Hsu, although it wa driven (very well) by Dean Lanzante. It is the ex-Lauda 1982 British GP winner, and the updated version won the US GP West in 1983 driven by John Watson.

You could well be right - I was just going from the programme entry (Team: Lanzante Ltd, Driver: Dean Lanzante).

#27 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 19:39

' you need the right grade of licence to do a demo these days!'
Blimey!! What licence do you need to do an F1 demo then?? (aside: praying that my National 'A' will be good enough to demonstrate the ex-Emerson Lotus 72. Wishful thinking?? Only slightly......)

#28 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 21:31

Posted Image
A clutch-and-a-half of Bugattis

Posted Image
The Marina Rolls-Royce of Ashworth father and son

Posted Image
The 1911 Delage, driven by Paul Bablot to win the Coupe de l'Auto at Boulogne. David Ozanne gave it its first race outing for many a year.

Posted Image
Mark Walker presses on in the ex-Maurice Farman 1908 Panhard-Levassor

Posted Image
Duncan Ricketts cuts it fine with R6B

Posted Image
Apolgies for the lack of focus - Jamie MacIntyre (Rejo) and Peter Horsman (Lotus 17) dispute the short-cut over the grass.

Posted Image
The field is scattered avoiding Julian Majzub's stricken Sadler

Posted Image
1st, 2nd and 3rd in the Lansdowne Classic race - Duncan Fitchett (Manx Norton), Phil Read (Patton) and Chris Swallow (Manx Norton)

Posted Image Superstar Phil Read - 50 years a bike racer

#29 Scuderia SSS

Scuderia SSS

• 251 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:41

Well you guys photos are much better than mine, but here are my photos anyway. Hope you enjoy.

http://smg.photobuck...en/SeeRed 2006/