Photo

MY AUTOSPORT.COM - questions, feedback & errors

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#1 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 13:11

I just got a message and so far it looks interesting. However, it will take time for me to get used to it :)

However, where I can find My links section?

Advertisement

#2 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 13:13

OK, I will read guide really carefully firts and then ask questions ;)

#3 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 13:18

Please use this thread for any feedback, questions and bugs reporting on the new my autosport.com tool.

#4 Beef Eater

Beef Eater

• 220 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 13:36

First report :)
Link "Some help & suggestions on this service" does not work.

#5 mark f1

mark f1

• 4,356 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 13:53

Bira,

First thoughts, WOW!!!

Looks great, love the tabs and it is going to take me hours to set it all up!! :)

One question, how do I get 'The Morning After', I know that was one thing I couldn't get in the old 'My Atlas' and couldn't find it?

Mark

#6 Beef Eater

Beef Eater

• 220 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 13:58

New service is pritty impressive :up:

I am missing one thing I appreciated my@atlas for - links with different visited/not visited colors. You do not have to recall which news story you read and which is not yet. I almost do not use news page on autosport.com because I am lost there :) .

#7 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 14:09

Originally posted by Beef Eater
First report :)
Link "Some help & suggestions on this service" does not work.

When you click on it, you get in the middle column a box titled "HELP & SUGGESTIONS". I am guessing you think the link doesn't work because that middle column is the first to load when you go to that page :)

#8 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 14:11

Originally posted by mark f1
Bira,

First thoughts, WOW!!!

Looks great, love the tabs and it is going to take me hours to set it all up!! :)

One question, how do I get 'The Morning After', I know that was one thing I couldn't get in the old 'My Atlas' and couldn't find it?

Mark

The Morning After is not a separate box: we put it in the website's top story box (the box with the big image. It's called "Top Story - Front Page" and can be found in the "autosport.com" boxes). And then it moves to the Weekly Journal box.

#9 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 14:11

I am missing one thing I appreciated my@atlas for - links with different visited/not visited colors. You do not have to recall which news story you read and which is not yet. I almost do not use news page on autosport.com because I am lost there :) .

I've been thinking about that, actually. You're right, it's very useful. I will change the css for that page to display different colour for visited links.

#10 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,564 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 14:20

It seems very complicated in the beginning but as soon as we get used to it and sort it out properly it should be wonderful.

Many thanks!

#11 Beef Eater

Beef Eater

• 220 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 14:30

Originally posted by bira

When you click on it, you get in the middle column a box titled "HELP & SUGGESTIONS". I am guessing you think the link doesn't work because that middle column is the first to load when you go to that page :)

Yes, I saw no changes on page and decided it does not work. Actually I was looking for a place I can give my suggestions. That is a link to this thread.

#12 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 14:57

Done

#13 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 15:08

Yes, I saw no changes on page and decided it does not work. Actually I was looking for a place I can give my suggestions. That is a link to this thread.

And done.

#14 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 15:14

Bira, you have outdone yourself, thank you for a brilliant product :kiss:

#15 Beef Eater

Beef Eater

• 220 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 15:24

Done

Great!

A couple of suggestions.

1. Remember last visited tab. I had an idea of creating two tabs. One for every day and one for GP weekend...
Or/and ability to change tab order.

2. Remove all edit controls after clicking on "Save layout". And activate them back after clicking at some "Edit layout" link.

#16 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 15:31

1. Remember last visited tab. I had an idea of creating two tabs. One for every day and one for GP weekend...
Or/and ability to change tab order.

I'll think about it... for now, you can always bookmark a tab directly, eg http://www.autosport...index.php?tab=2 (for the second tab)

2. Remove all edit controls after clicking on "Save layout". And activate them back after clicking at some "Edit layout" link.

The 'Save layout' ONLY saves the changes in the ORDER of the boxes (i.e. if you dragged a box to a different location). So there's no point in removing the edit controls as they are not tied to one another.

What you are suggesting, though, is "locking" the boxes so they cannot be dragged and dropped. There was someone else who made the same suggestion to me as soon as he started using this page, some 3 weeks ago, and when I asked him about it yesterday he admitted it wasn't necessary.

The boxes are not going to start jumping around at random, and you'll find that even if you move a box by accident, it takes a second to put it back (and, anyway, without saving, the change won't matter). So there's really no need to disable the drag & drop - or any other edit function on the page. They are ALL solicited (i.e. require an action from you) and they won't start mucking about with your settings while you're asleep ;)

#17 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 15:32

Originally posted by Gilles4Ever
Bira, you have outdone yourself, thank you for a brilliant product :kiss:

Thanks babe :kiss:

#18 alexcason

alexcason

• 143 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 16:09

Very, very nice service. :up:

If I could just ask for one thing it would be to have the combined photo gallery from the front page and to be able to shrink the 3 columns layout to what it is like on the front page and to put it on the left of the screen.

Very good job though. :)

#19 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 16:11

Originally posted by alexcason
Very, very nice service. :up:

If I could just ask for one thing it would be to have the combined photo gallery from the front page and to be able to shrink the 3 columns layout to what it is like on the front page and to put it on the left of the screen.

Very good job though. :)

You can add a combined photo gallery box, but not the same design as the homepage.

Forget about the homepage design - it is intended for different things. This page is about what you want to have and where you want to have it.

If your columns are very wide, why not try switching to 4 columns? What's your screen resolution?

Advertisement

#20 alexcason

alexcason

• 143 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 16:17

You can add a combined photo gallery box, but not the same design as the homepage.

Forget about the homepage design - it is intended for different things. This page is about what you want to have and where you want to have it.

If your columns are very wide, why not try switching to 4 columns? What's your screen resolution?

1280 x 1024, so it's not quite high enough for 4 columns, there's is a bit off the screen at the side.

#21 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,954 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 16:37

Done..
Transfered all my existing modules and added a few more..
All within 15 mins.
Love the Gmail in-box too

Great new look
Jp

#22 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 16:38

Originally posted by alexcason

1280 x 1024, so it's not quite high enough for 4 columns, there's is a bit off the screen at the side.

Ah, but you see, not all columns are created equal :D

If you try out 4 columns, but sort the boxes around so that one column has "airy" boxes, you'll discover it actually fits quite nicely in a 1280x1024. Granted, it doesn't look as wonderful as a 1400x screen with 4 columns, or a 1024x screen with 3. But it works quite well with either 3 or 4.

Play around with it and see if you can find the settings most suitable for you

#23 pixelpunk

pixelpunk

• 98 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 17:00

Originally posted by jonpollak

Love the Gmail in-box too

Just came here to say the Gmail don't work.
I'll just wait a bit.

Great work by the crew btw. Looks good but maybe to smooth in style, no contrasts to help your eyes navigate, all is very bleached out, like an old hat that's been laying out in the sun and rain. Watered out. Catch my drift? :)

Great stuff nevertheless.

#24 Jodum5

Jodum5

• 1,247 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 17:32

Wow great work there, I just may start using this feature - though Im still partial to what we've already got on the homepage. Keep it up!

#25 pjasper

pjasper

• 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 17:36

Can we have the option of just two columns, please? Then they should resize to fill the window properly. With three columns, the page is too wide to fit in the default size I use for my web browser and I have to scroll right to see everything. (I have other things to do on my screen, without the web browser taking up all the space!)

#26 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,564 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 17:53

Update: I am gradually customizing the page, and it looks magnificent.

However, GMAIL is also not working for me(I have unread messages which don't show up even after refreshing). I am sure it will be resolved, and I know that it is trivial but I just wanted to point it out.

#27 mark f1

mark f1

• 4,356 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 18:04

Played around with it more and still think it is wonderful!! So many decisions to make...  ;)

Suggestion - the forum thread titles are really too short to know what the thread is about, any way to make them wrap and not truncate?

Thanks
Mark

#28 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 18:47

Originally posted by pixelpunk

Just came here to say the Gmail don't work.
I'll just wait a bit.

Great work by the crew btw. Looks good but maybe to smooth in style, no contrasts to help your eyes navigate, all is very bleached out, like an old hat that's been laying out in the sun and rain. Watered out. Catch my drift? :)

Great stuff nevertheless.

That's the autosport.com design - we want the content to stand out, not the graphics or the design :)

But very soon (well as soon as I finish it) there will be the option to select themes for my autosport.com - including a retro My Atlas theme ;) - and you will then be able to switch to a style more to your liking

#29 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 18:48

Originally posted by pjasper
Can we have the option of just two columns, please? Then they should resize to fill the window properly. With three columns, the page is too wide to fit in the default size I use for my web browser and I have to scroll right to see everything. (I have other things to do on my screen, without the web browser taking up all the space!)

Done

#30 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 18:50

Originally posted by Hellenic tifosi
Update: I am gradually customizing the page, and it looks magnificent.

However, GMAIL is also not working for me(I have unread messages which don't show up even after refreshing). I am sure it will be resolved, and I know that it is trivial but I just wanted to point it out.

There is a cache period of 5 minutes (was 15 minutes, but now that we're live, I just changed it to 5).

I am not sure whether Google also cache it from their side. But certainly there is no point refreshing the box under 5 minutes because it's cached.

Anyway, give it a try and see how it goes. So far for me it's been working fine.

#31 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,564 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 19:31

There is a cache period of 5 minutes (was 15 minutes, but now that we're live, I just changed it to 5).

I am not sure whether Google also cache it from their side. But certainly there is no point refreshing the box under 5 minutes because it's cached.

Anyway, give it a try and see how it goes. So far for me it's been working fine.

Thank you very much for the change, it seems to be working.

Just another question: Do you have any plan to add a "time around the world" box? Sorry for asking questions all the time, but I am gradually getting used to the new service.

#32 Kaiser

Kaiser

• 2,257 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 19:56

Is my atlas gone? I haven't seen any news about it.

#33 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 20:02

Originally posted by Kaiser
Is my atlas gone? I haven't seen any news about it.

Well, if you us My Atlas, then have a look at it. There's an announcement at the top of it, it's really hard to miss :wave:

#34 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 20:05

Originally posted by mark f1
Suggestion - the forum thread titles are really too short to know what the thread is about, any way to make them wrap and not truncate?

I am really struggling with the design of the forum boxes, to be honest. I've been trying various things and have yet to come up with a good compromise.

For my personal taste, I wish I could add the thread starter's name, and the time of the last post. It's hard to fit all that data in a single line.

I tried a different approach, using two lines, and it just took so much space, it really negated the purpose of this (for my taste anyway).

So I'm not really sure how to go about it. I'm still trying :)

#35 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 20:06

Just another question: Do you have any plan to add a "time around the world" box? Sorry for asking questions all the time, but I am gradually getting used to the new service.

Ask as much as you want - it helps shape this service and make it better.

Re the 'time around the world'. I'm not sure. I wasn't really planning on doing it, but I could if there's a request :)

#36 Kaiser

Kaiser

• 2,257 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 20:13

Sorry, but I don't see any announcement at the top.

I see this, just a log on screen, that won't log on.

" Welcome to My Atlas F1!

In our efforts to further improve our service, we bring you the one-stop page for 'All Things Formula One', and in particular - All Things Atlas F1.

This means that YOU choose which information you want to see, YOU choose how the page is laid out, YOU choose how much and in what colours. It's all yours.

If you are already registered (in this service or on the Atlas F1 Bulletin Board), log in here:

(click here if you forgot your password)"

That's at; http://my.atlasf1.com/login.php

The same page I've had for years.

#37 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,564 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 20:15

I am really struggling with the design of the forum boxes, to be honest. I've been trying various things and have yet to come up with a good compromise.

For my personal taste, I wish I could add the thread starter's name, and the time of the last post. It's hard to fit all that data in a single line.

I tried a different approach, using two lines, and it just took so much space, it really negated the purpose of this (for my taste anyway).

Perhaps if the forum boxes were spread in two columns, or is it too difficult to be done correctly?

Regarding the time around the globe, it is not THAT important, since we can change everything else to our timezone. Thanks a lot for trying to help us bira:up:

#38 pixelpunk

pixelpunk

• 98 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 20:36

Bira, here's my errormessage for the gmailbox: "The RSS reader says: MagpieRSS: Failed to fetch this feed (HTTP Error: Invalid protocol "")".

I've triple-checked my settings (mail, pass), still no flow.

Re the design and the content to stand out: I do agree, content is king and all that. But it ain't good when it melts together due to design. Don't want to complain much though, the whole site is just kicking ass anyway so kudos for that.

#39 Jackman

Jackman

• 16,177 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 21:09

Re the 'time around the world'. I'm not sure. I wasn't really planning on doing it, but I could if there's a request :)

I use that *a lot* on myAtlas, so I hope it comes back :)

Advertisement

#40 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,954 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 21:40

Yep me too....
Jp

#41 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 23:00

Originally posted by Kaiser
Sorry, but I don't see any announcement at the top.

I see this, just a log on screen, that won't log on.

" Welcome to My Atlas F1!

In our efforts to further improve our service, we bring you the one-stop page for 'All Things Formula One', and in particular - All Things Atlas F1.

This means that YOU choose which information you want to see, YOU choose how the page is laid out, YOU choose how much and in what colours. It's all yours.

If you are already registered (in this service or on the Atlas F1 Bulletin Board), log in here:

(click here if you forgot your password)"

That's at; http://my.atlasf1.com/login.php

The same page I've had for years.

the url shouldbe http://my.autosport.com

#42 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 23:03

Bira, here's my errormessage for the gmailbox: "The RSS reader says: MagpieRSS: Failed to fetch this feed (HTTP Error: Invalid protocol "")".

I've triple-checked my settings (mail, pass), still no flow.

Could you e-mail me in private? I want to perform a test with you

Re the design and the content to stand out: I do agree, content is king and all that. But it ain't good when it melts together due to design. Don't want to complain much though, the whole site is just kicking ass anyway so kudos for that.

You know, you can change the colour of a box's title bar. It helps discern between the different types of content, without looking like a Christmas tree. For example, all my RSS boxes have an orange bar; the forum boxes have a green bar; the autosport.com content have the default grey; and my private stuff (favourites, gmail, etc) are purple :)

If you click on the E icon on any box, you'll see the option there to change the colour. Play around with it; it might achieve the goal you're aiming for.

#43 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 23:05

Perhaps if the forum boxes were spread in two columns, or is it too difficult to be done correctly?

That is not possible. The page is modular, and works on columns / boxes within columns. Otherwise it would not be possible to drag & drop, etc.

Regarding the time around the globe, it is not THAT important, since we can change everything else to our timezone. Thanks a lot for trying to help us bira:up:

Originally posted by Jackman
I use that *a lot* on myAtlas, so I hope it comes back :)

Originally posted by jonpollak
Yep me too....
Jp

I reckon three constitutes "popular demand", so I'll get working :D

#44 mach4

mach4

• 1,873 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 23:36

I actually don't think showing 'number of posts' and 'last poster' are that important. The old design always worked well enough for me.

Posted Image

#45 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 23:46

Originally posted by mach4

I actually don't think showing 'number of posts' and 'last poster' are that important. The old design always worked well enough for me.

Posted Image

That is not the design we ever used on My Atlas, and I take it you weren't a My Atlas user, or you wouldn't have said that this is enough :D

The idea behind such a page is that it virtually replaces any need to visit the specific pages - it isn't just a page you check once in a while, like a website's homepage, to see what's changed. It replaces the forum index, the news index, even the mailbox.

Just putting a link with a forum name is sooooo below par, I myself wouldn't use it and I am willing to bet no regular My Atlas user would feel the same as you.

Sorry :)

#46 mach4

mach4

• 1,873 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 00:31

That is not the design we ever used on My Atlas, and I take it you weren't a My Atlas user, or you wouldn't have said that this is enough :D

Yep you're right, I never used My Atlas. :)

The idea behind such a page is that it virtually replaces any need to visit the specific pages - it isn't just a page you check once in a while, like a website's homepage, to see what's changed. It replaces the forum index, the news index, even the mailbox.

Ah, I understand the concept now. Although I think if you're heavy user of any specific functionality (forum, news, mail) you will often end up navigating to the full interface anyway.

Just putting a link with a forum name is sooooo below par, I myself wouldn't use it and I am willing to bet no regular My Atlas user would feel the same as you.

Sorry :)

Is there any chance for an overall forum box? It was a useful way to see posts with interesting titles from the forums I dont normally visit.

Eitherway, the new interface is really fantastic work. Congrats.

#47 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 00:36

Ah, I understand the concept now. Although I think if you're heavy user of any specific functionality (forum, news, mail) you will often end up navigating to the full interface anyway.

Well I am probably the heaviest user you can imagine when it comes to all sections on this site - not least the forums. And I readily admit that this interface is built very much with my own experience in mind. And I can tell you after five years of using My Atlas that I hardly ever look at the forums. Why would I need to, when I got them all in My Atlas, along with everything else? :)

Is there any chance for an overall forum box? It was a useful way to see posts with interesting titles from the forums I dont normally visit.

Yes, I was going to do a "latest posts" kind of box, which is a list of the most recently updated threads from all open forums. So I think that will address your requirement (and, indeed, will have a very simple breakdown of thread title and forum name - like that old Atlas F1 homepage box you liked).

Eitherway, the new interface is really fantastic work. Congrats.

#48 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:47

OK, the 'latest posts' box has been added (found under the list of BB boxes).

I also added to the thread title links the full thread title - so if you point your mouse to a truncated thread title, you will see the full title in the tooltip (or whatever that yellow thing's called).

#49 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:35

Time Around the World has now been added and can be found in the list of boxes under "E-mail, bookmarks, weather, etc"

#50 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,564 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:06

Thanks a lot for the addition!

Regarding the RSS boxes, I added a box for the greek sports-related website, www.contra.gr (RSS feed link: http://www.contra.gr/rss/home). However, the Greek language appears "garbled" on the RSS title, while the links (also in Greek) appear normally.

Perhaps I should also email the website as well to inform them on Thursday afternoon when I will be back home.

In any case, it is also a case of something trivial, so don't waste much time over it.