* * * * - 5 votes

S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

• Please log in to reply
3082 replies to this topic

#651 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,096 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:26

Do grid girls ever get involved with drivers?

I thought the whole point of lining them up after the race is to make it easier to pick a few.

Advertisement

#652 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,776 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:13

The front tires are comparatively useless in a straight line v.s. the loads they take in a corner. During a turn the outer tires (which take the most stress) bend "out" with the suspension. Maximum surface area is presented to the road when it's needed most, at 4+ lateral g's. It is impossible for a tire to be upright at all times without a fully active suspension.

I found a simple animation about what I'm saying;

http://img18.imagesh...0/anicurve1.gif

You can now visualize how a tire that is tilted inward (negative camber, in other words) will be pushed upright during the turn.

But you can stop the wheel tilting when the car rolls by having non-parallel wishbones.

I still don't quite understand.

#653 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 976 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:20

Do grid girls ever get involved with drivers?

only in Superbike

#654 Dolph

Dolph

• 5,065 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 16:22

Why is the F1 race distance set at 305 km and not, for example 300 km!?

#655 Dolph

Dolph

• 5,065 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 16:28

There goes my coffee - all over the keyboard !!

A Sauber leading the titles is just too funny to comprehend

A Sauber has led the WDC

#656 August

August

• 2,222 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 16:31

I don't know if a possible reason is that it's 190 miles. But then, why it's 190 miles, not 200 miles i.e. 320 km?

#657 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,419 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 18:21

Okay I've got one. Why are the start and finish lines at different locations?

#658 August

August

• 2,222 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 18:28

Okay I've got one. Why are the start and finish lines at different locations?

Finish lane is where the race control is, often at the pit entry. That means there's often not enough space between final corner and finish lane, so the start lane must be forward from finish lane.

#659 Dolph

Dolph

• 5,065 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 18:58

Finish lane is where the race control is, often at the pit entry. That means there's often not enough space between final corner and finish lane, so the start lane must be forward from finish lane.

So why is race control at the start of the straight?

Advertisement

#660 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,043 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 19:30

Can a driver do a mid-season transfer to a different team? If yes, do the WDC points convey?

#661 Dolph

Dolph

• 5,065 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 19:32

Can a driver do a mid-season transfer to a different team? If yes, do the WDC points convey?

yes, yes

#662 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,419 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 19:32

Yes on both counts. See Fisichella back in 2009.

So why is race control at the start of the straight?

And, why does the finish line need to be next to race control?

Edited by Fastcake, 12 September 2012 - 19:33.

#663 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 19:33

Yes, Vettel had 1 point from BMW in 2007 while replacing Kubica and scored 5 points with STR when he took over Scott Speed's place for a total of 6 points.

#664 g1n

g1n

• 877 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 19:33

yes they can and yes points do count from previous teams as well, apart from constructors obviously.

#665 Dolph

Dolph

• 5,065 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 19:50

Fangio won the wdc driving for two different teams in 1954

#666 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,577 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 19:58

Fangio won the wdc driving for two different teams in 1954

He borrowed a Maserati for Argentina and Belgium (I think) but I don't remember him driving for two teams.

#667 Dolph

Dolph

• 5,065 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 21:15

He borrowed a Maserati for Argentina and Belgium (I think) but I don't remember him driving for two teams.

But he drove for the Mercedes works team in the second half of the season. Right!? And the Mercedes works team hardly ran the Maseratis. Right? So even if he ran his own team with the Maseratis he still competed for two different teams - the other being the Mercedes team. That's my take on it. Could be wrong.

Edited by Dolph, 12 September 2012 - 21:16.

#668 nemtudom

nemtudom

• 40 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 21:23

But he drove for the Mercedes works team in the second half of the season. Right!? And the Mercedes works team hardly ran the Maseratis. Right? So even if he ran his own team with the Maseratis he still competed for two different teams - the other being the Mercedes team. That's my take on it. Could be wrong.

You're right. Mercedes only entered the championship after Belgium, so Fangio drove a Maserati in the first two Grands Prix. His points scored with Maserati counted in the championship, of course - it's called the WDC, it's the driver's points that count, no matter how many teams he drives for during the season.

#669 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,916 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 21:26

Both in Argentina and Belgium he drove a works Maserati entry.

#670 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,577 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 21:44

Yes, but, he was signed to Mercedes from the start of the season and only borrowed cars for the races that the 196 was not ready. Maybe my memory is hazy.

#671 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,916 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 21:56

Yes, but, he was signed to Mercedes from the start of the season and only borrowed cars for the races that the 196 was not ready. Maybe my memory is hazy.

That's not relevant at all. He drove for two different teams.

Remember that the question was about being possible at all to drive and score for two different teams.
There are many, many cases of that: just remember Moss driving and scoring for two teams in 1959 (Rob Walker/Cooper and BRP/BRM), Bandini driving and scoring for Ferrari and Centro Sud BRM in 1963, Jacky Ickx driving one-off for McLaren at the 'Ring in 1973 and making the podium, Ronnie Peterson driving for Lotus and March in 1976, et cetera.

Edited by scheivlak, 12 September 2012 - 22:17.

#672 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,814 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 22:21

If a team changes engine supplier during a season (when was the last time that happened? 1984?), then the "constructor" is deemed to have changed and the team will have two entries in the WCC, but for drivers there's no such issue.

#673 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,916 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 22:30

If a team changes engine supplier during a season (when was the last time that happened? 1984?)

1991 with Footwork (-Porsche, -Ford Cosworth)? Not that it made much difference.....

#674 Bleu

Bleu

• 797 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:16

Start/finish line is in different places since the finish line must be either before or after all pit boxes. Not in the middle, because it could lead serious confusion.

#675 fred54

fred54

• 192 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:25

Start/finish line is in different places since the finish line must be either before or after all pit boxes. Not in the middle, because it could lead serious confusion.

Two laps from the finish of the 1998 British Grand Prix, Michael Schumacher was leading the race when he was issued a stop-and-go penalty for overtaking a lapped car (Alexander Wurz) during the early moments of a Safety Car period. This penalty involves going into the pit lane and stopping for 10 seconds, and the rules state that a driver must serve his penalty within three laps of the penalty being issued. On the third lap after receiving the penalty, Schumacher turned into the pit lane to serve his penalty, but as this was the last lap of the race, and as Ferrari's pit box was located after the start/finish line, Schumacher technically finished the race before serving the penalty. The stewards initially resolved that problem by adding 10 seconds to Schumacher's race time, then later rescinded the penalty completely due to the irregularities in how the penalty had been issued

I remember seeing that on TV, classic F1 moment, for all the wrong reasons.

Edited by fred54, 15 September 2012 - 10:28.

#676 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 777 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 14:23

If a driver starts a race on inters or wets in hope of rain being imminent, on a dry track, but changes to dry tyres after the first couple of laps when the rain never comes, would he still have to use the other dry compound later in the race, if it stays dry?

Edited by SpartanChas, 17 September 2012 - 14:24.

#677 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,441 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 14:29

No sane team would do that because you would be destroyed at the first lap. But nevertheless, interesting Q. I think you would have to use both compounds still because it would be really easy to get rid of the harder compound if you can run softs all the race (providing you have enough tyres) if you drive on inters for one lap and pit immediately.

#678 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 14:32

A team can't use inters or wets unless the race is declared wet (it rains or the track is wet).

#679 Beamer

Beamer

• 1,358 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 14:33

If a driver starts a race on inters or wets in hope of rain being imminent, on a dry track, but changes to dry tyres after the first couple of laps when the rain never comes, would he still have to use the other dry compound later in the race, if it stays dry?

Only if race control decides it's a 'wet race', not if a single team in a brain fade decides to go out on wets on a dry track.

Advertisement

#680 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,875 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 14:45

Are they? I thought the were set at the closest to 300km they can get.

Oh well, but I can see that every race with the exception of Monaco is just over 305km.

#681 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 14:59

Are you sure of this? Effectively then slower cars from the back of grid are racing longer distance than front cars by length of the grid; that is, they must race towards Start line already, yet they all Finish on the same location.

FiA, sporting reg.

5.3 The distance of all races, from the start signal referred to in Article 38.9 to the chequered flag,
shall be equal to the least number of complete laps which exceed a distance of 305 km
(Monaco 260km). However, should two hours elapse before the scheduled race distance is
completed, the leader will be shown the chequered flag when he crosses the control line (the
Line) at the end of the lap during which the two hour period ended.

#682 fred54

fred54

• 192 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 18:39

For the Singapore GP, why do (some?) teams try to stay on a European time zone? Also surely jet lag/being in an alien timezone is a common problem for alot of races, depening on how many days the teams are based in countries prior to the GP weekend and where they flew in from, how do they cope with that?

#683 Fonzey

Fonzey

• 278 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 21:18

For the Singapore GP, why do (some?) teams try to stay on a European time zone? Also surely jet lag/being in an alien timezone is a common problem for alot of races, depening on how many days the teams are based in countries prior to the GP weekend and where they flew in from, how do they cope with that?

BEcause they race at night, or European afternoon so it makes sense to stay in European sleep cycles.

#684 Spillage

Spillage

• 1,028 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 21:22

I've been wondering about this too. Do they really need to? Footballers and track & field athletes compete in the evening all the time with no ill-effects. Is it just because F1 drivers have to concentrate harder, or just the teams being exceptionally cautious?

Edited by Spillage, 17 September 2012 - 21:22.

#685 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,298 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 21:28

Only if race control decides it's a 'wet race', not if a single team in a brain fade decides to go out on wets on a dry track.

Wasn't Räikkönen on full-wets on a bone-dry circuit in Malaysia 2009?
Or is the rule only valid for the race-start and not the pit-stops?

Edited by artista, 17 September 2012 - 21:29.

#686 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,916 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 21:38

Wasn't Räikkönen on full-wets on a bone-dry circuit in Malaysia 2009?
Or is the rule only valid for the race-start and not the pit-stops?

You're allowed to put wet tyres on any time you want.
It's just that if race control hasn't declared the race wet, you still have to use both dry compounds during the race.

#687 Prost

Prost

• 37 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 23:26

Are you sure of this? Effectively then slower cars from the back of grid are racing longer distance than front cars by length of the grid; that is, they must race towards Start line already, yet they all Finish on the same location.

that is what qualifying for , your grid position decides how far off you are to the start line

#688 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,068 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:30

Is there a limit to the number of drivers a team can have drive for them in practice sessions at a GP weekend? Could a team theoretically swap both their regular drivers for their reserves for FP1? I know there's a limit to how many can race for a team in a season, but what about practice sessions?

#689 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,696 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:36

Because the race weekend is run to a European time schedule. So the race starts at 1pm UK time, just like Monza did.

#690 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,916 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:42

Is there a limit to the number of drivers a team can have drive for them in practice sessions at a GP weekend? Could a team theoretically swap both their regular drivers for their reserves for FP1?

I think so, provided they both have a super licence (OK, I think I can guess what you're thinking right now)

This is what the sporting regulations say:

"19) CHANGES OF DRIVER

19.1 a) During a season each team will be permitted to use four drivers. Changes may be made
at any time before the start of the qualifying practice session provided any change
proposed after 16.00 on the day of scrutineering receives the consent of the stewards.

Additional changes for reasons of force majeure will be considered separately.

Any new driver may score points in the Championship.

b) In addition to the above each team will be permitted to run additional drivers during P1
and P2 provided :
i) The stewards are informed which cars and drivers each team intends to use in
each session before the end of initial scrutineering, changes after this time may
only be made with the consent of the stewards.
ii) No more than two drivers are used in any one session.
iii) They carry the race number of the nominated driver they replace.
iv) They use the engine and tyres which are allocated to the nominated driver.
v) They are in possession of a Super Licence."

#691 Ruf

Ruf

• 1,279 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:28

A team can't use inters or wets unless the race is declared wet (it rains or the track is wet).

Not true, that's only for practice sessions. In qualifying and race they can do whatever they want but it would be an extremely stupid thing to do.

You're allowed to put wet tyres on any time you want.
It's just that if race control hasn't declared the race wet, you still have to use both dry compounds during the race.

Nope:

25.4 Use of tyres :
f) Unless he has used intermediate or wet‐weather tyres during the race, each driver must use at least one set of each specification of dry‐weather tyres during the race.

#692 LB

LB

• 12,636 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:14

On the Ickx thing earlier (question on different teams) He actually drive in one race each for McLaren, Ferrari, Williams, then Lotus over a six race span (he missed the other two) 1973 German (McL) missed the Austrian, Italian for Ferrari, missed Canada then USA for Williams, then Argentina 1974 for Lotus!

#693 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,071 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:35

Sorry, this is about rally car. What was the highest ever top speed on a world rally championship?

#694 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:37

Sorry, this is about rally car. What was the highest ever top speed on a world rally championship?

1. 2012 Finland 122.89 km/h Loeb, Sebastien Citroen DS3 WRC
http://www.juwra.com...age_speeds.html

#695 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,071 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:40

1. 2012 Finland 122.89 km/h Loeb, Sebastien Citroen DS3 WRC
http://www.juwra.com...age_speeds.html

Not average speed, but top speed.

#696 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:44

Not average speed, but top speed.

Oh, should learn how to read. :p

#697 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:47

I don't know if it's the highest recorded, I am not sure if such a statistic even exists, but oldschool Group B 959s in asphalt spec (which never actually raced in a proper rally mind you) would top 300km/h (195 mph) ... these days they barely break 210-220

#698 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 777 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 14:23

Do the team garage positions get decided purely by constructors championship position or by car numbering; so if Lewis wins WDC this year and takes the #1 to Mercedes next year will they get the garage at the start of the pitlane?

#699 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,360 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 14:26

Constructors championship position. For example, in 2007, Renault still commanded the first pitlane postion despite Alonso taking the number one plate to McLaren. The same with Mercedes in 2010.

Advertisement

#700 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,000 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 14:29

Do the team garage positions get decided purely by constructors championship position or by car numbering; so if Lewis wins WDC this year and takes the #1 to Mercedes next year will they get the garage at the start of the pitlane?

Teams Championship