* * * * - 5 votes

S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

• Please log in to reply
3014 replies to this topic

#801 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:36

What will happen to a driver when he finishes in the top 3 of the championship but did not attend the FIA Gala?

Advertisement

#802 Risil

Risil

• 13,925 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:42

Lifetime ban probably.

#803 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:50

Wow, really? Isn't that a bit harsh? Although I do get it that the top 3 drivers should be there.

#804 Risil

Risil

• 13,925 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:57

Wow, really? Isn't that a bit harsh? Although I do get it that the top 3 drivers should be there.

Well under Max Mosley you were sentenced to labour in the salt mines for life. Thankfully things are a bit more liberal now.

#805 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,753 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 21:14

That's called rolling shutter effect. It appears because frame is not exposed completely at once - rather shutter moves across the frame briefly exposing different parts of image. This means different part of frame are actually exposed at different time and result high speed object will move between those exposures.

The early Indy 500 photos are especially extreme at this - the shutter would open from bottom to top and the distortion could be massive. I recall one particular pic of Ray Harroun where the wheels looked like they were leaning forward at a ludicrous angle. As Mr Harroun paced himself at a mere (by today's standards) 75mph throughout, the photographer presumably wasn't using the shutter priority setting correctly.

#806 Risil

Risil

• 13,925 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 21:22

http://beta.images.t...arroun27wh1.jpg

#807 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 365 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:51

What's the purpose of Parc Ferme rules, or whatever they're called that prevent changing setups between qualifying sessions and between qualifying -> race? If F1 is a team sport, then if you remove those rules you get the mechanics and strategists more involved so you can truly find out which team is better.

#808 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,080 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:12

Will we at any point see the FIA undoing regulations banning various devices for /methods of creating downfowrce if cars become "too slow" in the future?

#809 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,422 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:23

http://beta.images.t...arroun27wh1.jpg

Posted Image

#810 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 5,573 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:27

What's the purpose of Parc Ferme rules, or whatever they're called that prevent changing setups between qualifying sessions and between qualifying -> race? If F1 is a team sport, then if you remove those rules you get the mechanics and strategists more involved so you can truly find out which team is better.

Parc Fermé always exists in motorsport, but the time of Parc Fermé varies.

F1 introduced the Parc Fermé overnoght between qualifying and race rule to stop teams working their staff 24 hours a day the whole race weekend, to make teams having to do with less staff on the race weekends to save costs, cost saving because teams used to have purpose built qualifying cars. They now also have the curfew rule since a few years back where team personell are not allowed to be at the track during the night. For the same reason - teams were working their staff hard and it was seen to be a problem.

#811 John Player

John Player

• 429 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:07

Since when they do formation laps and the burnout thing?

#812 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 22:43

For as long as I can remember (early 90's) it just seems to be done more significantly now and the commentators really play it up (i think they do this to excite the 'occasional' viewer.

#813 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,760 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 00:19

Parc Fermé always exists in motorsport, but the time of Parc Fermé varies.

F1 introduced the Parc Fermé overnoght between qualifying and race rule to stop teams working their staff 24 hours a day the whole race weekend, to make teams having to do with less staff on the race weekends to save costs, cost saving because teams used to have purpose built qualifying cars. They now also have the curfew rule since a few years back where team personell are not allowed to be at the track during the night. For the same reason - teams were working their staff hard and it was seen to be a problem.

The rule that mandated that the cars should be in parc fermé conditions between qualifying and the race was also introduced at the same time (2003) as one-lap qualifying, and naturally the parc fermé situation demanded that the cars would do their qualifying run with race fuel on board, which of course varied from driver to driver, thus mixing up the grid somewhat in a successful attempt to produce a more exciting season than had taken place in 2002.

#814 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,760 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 00:27

It's become more prevalent in recent times as the reliability of the cars' transmissions has improved to a point at which they can withstand repeated burnouts. I remember Martin Brundle saying that if he had tried to do that at the beginning of his career (mid-1980s), he would have caused the gearbox to break immediately, and it's certainly true that in this era, the drivers tended to tour round at a much slower and uniform pace.

As for the origins of the formation lap itself, I believe it originated at some point in the 1970s (but I'm really not too sure), probably at around the same time that event organisers started to use staggered starting grids and electric lights instead of a dropped national flag to start the race. Before this, the cars would line up on a "dummy grid" further back on the start-finish straight, than advance under the direction of the starter to the grid proper.

I myself have wondered - was the formation lap introduced as a safety measure? Completing a full lap (albeit at significantly reduced pace) gives a driver a much greater opportunity for a driver to find out if his car has a serious problem that could cause trouble at the start than a mere crawl of a hundred metres or so.

#815 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,585 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 00:30

2) It's called wheel slip, every wheel will do this - that is what causes tyre wear - the more it slips the more it wears away. The tyres do not provide enough grip with the road so that it's like an exaggerated version of driving on ice!

And to add to your answer, the optimum wheel slip for a start is apparently 5%, for best traction.

#816 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,760 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 00:33

Will we at any point see the FIA undoing regulations banning various devices for /methods of creating downfowrce if cars become "too slow" in the future?

Complete speculation here, but I predict not, as I believe that KERS and powertrain regulation will be the primary means of controlling the relative speed of the future formula, particularly if the current 2014 engine regulations are adhered to.

A year or so ago, it appeared that limited ground effect might have returned as part of the 2014 technical changes, but unfortunately these have long since been dropped, along with (more recently) other significant planned changes to the regulations governing the cars' aerodynamics and bodywork, which means that the current general shape of the cars (and the DRS) is here to stay!

In fact, on current form, the FIA is likely to continue banning any "clever tricks" which enable a team to achieve more downforce than the current levels, e.g. exhaust-blown diffusers, double DRS etc...

#817 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,030 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:12

Whats the stupidest/funniest/craziest comment/question you have heard in the post race press conference from journalist or the driver?

Edited by ViMaMo, 17 December 2012 - 07:40.

#818 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 5,573 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:45

Whats the stupidest/funniest/craziest comment/question you have heard in the post race press conference from journalist or the driver?

Honestly and quite obviously

Spirit of the rules

Edited by LuckyStrike1, 17 December 2012 - 08:46.

#819 amppatel

amppatel

• 465 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:25

And to add to your answer, the optimum wheel slip for a start is apparently 5%, for best traction.

I thought (under ideal conditions) that no wheel slip is the best? Is there a reason why 5% is good? To heat up the tyres?

Advertisement

#820 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,512 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 22:58

Just had a look at the start of the 1980 British GP - it had a formation lap (at the French GP just before we still had the 'dummy grid' procedure) and yes, cars were weaving around heating their tyres! No burnouts BTW - and you won't believe how almost randomly cars took their grid positions those days.

And as always those years, a good look showed that about half the field already moved before the flag fell.

#821 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,300 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 23:17

I thought (under ideal conditions) that no wheel slip is the best? Is there a reason why 5% is good? To heat up the tyres?

It's just maximum grip. Like a few degrees of sliding is the best way to go around the corner. 5 degrees is almost invisible.

#822 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,697 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 14:40

Tyres need deflection to create grip. Newton's laws. Just like how there must be a slip angle between the road and the tyre for the tyre to turn, there must be some slip between the amount of spin and road speed.

#823 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,519 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:00

Is somewhere (in the internet) a complete f1 race and championship result database? Or is some sort of 'forix' still included for autosport subscribers these days where you could check any statistics?

#824 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 748 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:36

I use Wikipedia.

#825 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,519 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:37

I use Wikipedia.

Thanks. I think that will do for me for now.

#826 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,249 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:27

Is somewhere (in the internet) a complete f1 race and championship result database? Or is some sort of 'forix' still included for autosport subscribers these days where you could check any statistics?

Yep, Forix is included for Autosport subscribers, at least with the Digital Magazine subscription. I don't know if it's also available for people subscribing just to the site.

#827 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 24 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:42

The official F1.com homepage has all the results from 1950 till today.
Easy to navigate through the results!

Single Races
http://www.formula1....results/season/

Constructor Championships
http://www.formula1.com/results/team/

Driver Championships
http://www.formula1....results/driver/

#828 tomisumi

tomisumi

• 191 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 13:30

SQ: Why do teams still use pit boards when there is reliable radio communication?

Edited by tomisumi, 27 December 2012 - 13:32.

#829 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 13:34

Because you never know when the radio will fail no matter how reliable they are, although Kimi would probably prefer to have the radio in silent mode. :D

Which leads me to this question: When did F1 teams start to have radio communication?

Edited by encircled, 27 December 2012 - 13:35.

#830 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,525 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 13:48

This is the best one I've found so far: http://www.manipef1.com/ (click Database link)

Even has free practice results and some race analysis (for recent years only).

Edit: OK, I just had a look at the home page, and it seems the blog is shutting down! And I see that Monza was the last race which received the full treatment.

I hope all the info on past races remains viewable.

Edited by BillBald, 27 December 2012 - 15:34.

#831 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,585 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 20:42

I don't know if it's really a stupid question, but I haven't really found any decent explanations... how were the LMP2 Penske Porsche RS Spyders able to race toe to toe with the LMP1 Audis?

#832 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,889 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 21:17

I don't know if it's really a stupid question, but I haven't really found any decent explanations... how were the LMP2 Penske Porsche RS Spyders able to race toe to toe with the LMP1 Audis?

Dunno but I think it was because the LMP2 cars were lighter and performed well on tracks with more curves and shorter straights... compared to the Le Mans track that is, which has a long straight or few.

Found this on Wikipedia:

"With the ALMS's P2-favouring track nature, the Penske racing Porsche RS Spyder outperformed the Audi R10 TDI in the 2007 American Le Mans Series season, scoring 8 overall wins against Audi's 4. For 2008, the minimum weight of LMP2 cars were raised to 825 kg, and fuel tank capacity limit was brought down to 80L."

#833 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,812 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 00:01

Every stupid question, similar to; what do you hope to achieve to day? what are your plans for the race?

Even worse are making articles from the answer.

"Adrian Sutil is hoping for a new points finish."
"Rossi is hoping for another win in Mugello."
"Vergne aiming to end point-draught."

That's non-news and freaking obvious.

#834 Gyan

Gyan

• 839 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:42

This website has a pretty comprehensive record for races since 1950 itself.

#835 benettonfan

benettonfan

• 11 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 20:47

I heard that the Pirelli F1 tires are made in Turkey of all places....where were Bridgestones and Michelin's made?

#836 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,512 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 21:39

I heard that the Pirelli F1 tires are made in Turkey of all places....where were Bridgestones and Michelin's made?

AFAIK Michelin still made their tyres in France (presumably Clermont-Ferrand) when they were in F1 (I remember tyres being sent to France back for inspection during and after that Indy saga).

#837 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,300 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 21:46

I think Bridgestones were in Japan and sent over, and handled logistically at a base in the UK?

#838 docronzo

docronzo

• 237 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:15

What would happen if Bernie Ecclestone died all of a sudden or would be arrested and committed to the german autorities. Who will replace him then?

#839 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,889 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:31

What would happen if Bernie Ecclestone died all of a sudden or would be arrested and committed to the german autorities. Who will replace him then?

I doubt even Bernie himself knows the answer to that question.

However, in my mind they need someone who knows the world of F1 very well, who has achieved success in F1 and business. Someone who is like Bernie - ruthless, hungry for power, dictator like and willing to go beyond what's considered appropriate (if Bernie is convicted) to get the results that are needed. Only one name springs to mind: Flavio Briatore.

Edited by Dolph, 13 January 2013 - 10:32.

Advertisement

#840 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,824 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:07

Forix still there as always, link at the top of the Autosport homepage as always.

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 13 January 2013 - 12:07.

#841 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,824 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:09

"of all places"? Lots of stuff is made in Turkey.

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 13 January 2013 - 12:15.

#842 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 13:41

I just stumbled across this, 1964 Brand Hatch GP, i assume this is where the very early origins of the formation lap started!

"The cars form up on the dummy grid well down the straight in readiness to roll forward for the start at 30 seconds to go, an idea developed to reduce the hazard of dead engine collisions when the flag falls"

http://youtu.be/W827w_MbPgQ?t=9m13s

Very good question though, not at all stupid!

#843 benettonfan

benettonfan

• 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 15:00

"of all places"? Lots of stuff is made in Turkey.

Yes, but now knowing Michelin (French company) are made in France, and Bridgestone (Japanese company) are made in Japan, one would assume that Pirelli's would be made in Italy. It just caught be off guard during the broadcast when I heard that they were made in Turkey, that's all.

#844 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,824 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 15:32

Yes, but now knowing Michelin (French company) are made in France, and Bridgestone (Japanese company) are made in Japan, one would assume that Pirelli's would be made in Italy. It just caught be off guard during the broadcast when I heard that they were made in Turkey, that's all.

Welcome to globalization. You do know that, to pick a few, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Audi et al. don't build all of their cars in Germany, Chrysler does not build all of theirs in the US, and Apple does not build anything at home?

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 13 January 2013 - 15:50.

#845 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,300 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 15:39

But these are small batch tires, so it's understandable to be surprised they aren't built at the home factory.

#846 travbrad

travbrad

• 631 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 15:45

Welcome to globalization. You do know that, to pick a few, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Audi at al. don't build all of their cars in Germany, Chrysler does not build all of theirs in the US, and Apple does not build anything at home?

Indeed. Even the Ford Mustang has a lot of the production done outside the U.S. There are Japanese cars sold on the U.S. market that spend more time in U.S. manufacturing plants than many so-called "American cars" do.

#847 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,824 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 15:53

But these are small batch tires, so it's understandable to be surprised they aren't built at the home factory.

These are different times. Not so long ago it would have been understandable to be surprised about Mercedes not manufacturing in Germany, or by Volkswagen owning Bugatti. Not anymore.

Edit: BTW more info on the Turkey factory for those who care http://www.facebook....;_fb_noscript=1
http://www.pirelli.c...y-of-champions/

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 13 January 2013 - 15:59.

#848 benettonfan

benettonfan

• 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 17:33

I understand globalization and I realize most things are not made in the company's home country.... my thoughts were more along the lines of what Ross said, that the F1 tires are such a specific product. Thanks for the links.

#849 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 17:38

Can Adam Parr replace Bernie if...

"I think on one level Bernie [Ecclestone] does an amazingly good job of keeping people out, because it increases the fascination.
"But, on the other hand, people pay a lot of money to go to Silverstone, to subscribe to watch on satellite, and they deserve more access.
"As much as I admire Bernie, it is not him and it is not the teams that fund F1 - it is the fans. So why don't people get organised and demand a bit more?"

Bernie did start by reserving hotels for teams...

#850 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,300 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 19:10

These are different times. Not so long ago it would have been understandable to be surprised about Mercedes not manufacturing in Germany, or by Volkswagen owning Bugatti. Not anymore.

Edit: BTW more info on the Turkey factory for those who care http://www.facebook....;_fb_noscript=1
http://www.pirelli.c...y-of-champions/

I know how the worldwide supply chain works, thanks. But with something as specific as racing tires, you'd just assume they'd be done at HQ.