* * * * - 5 votes

S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

• Please log in to reply
3094 replies to this topic

#51 Andy Donovan

Andy Donovan

• 1,015 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 14:56

I've guessed Vet-ul, although that's probably due to my accent and it could also be Vet-ell. In general I try to wait a few months, and then take the average of what has been said by people on telly/radio. Except for Mark Blundell, who I wouldn't trust to pronounce his own name correctly.

It must have taken about three years before everyone pronounced Raikkonen the same way. Rake-o-nen, Roik-a-nen, Ry-ko-nen and so on. Why don't presenters and commentators just go and ask new drivers face-to-face so they know for sure? Or is that a new stupid question?

Advertisement

#52 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 15:34

The argument on a local BB is wether it is "F" or "V" at the beginning when the name is pronounced.
In German usually the letter "V" - (fau) is read like "F" as in VolksWagen. But personal names might have exceptions.

#53 Marcin

Marcin

• 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 17:50

There in no exceptions on names. In german language "V" is pronounced like "F". So it's definitely F e t e l.

I usually watch F1 in german speaking TV and they for sure pronouce his name right.

#54 RDM

RDM

• 2,112 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 18:06

Originally posted by Andy Donovan
Except for Mark Blundell, who I wouldn't trust to pronounce his own name correctly.

Very, very funny indeed. :rotfl:

#55 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 19:44

I have problems pronouncing Coulthard, but it doesn't matter as he'll retire soon.

#56 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,245 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 20:41

Originally posted by giddyup409
WARNING: here's another stupid question (or perhaps it's idiotic and this s.q. thread might be too advanced)?
do teams that buy engines from manufacturers get some kind of warranties or discounts if the engine does not last 2 gp? or their engine budget is at mercy of the manufacturer engine reliability?

Difficult to know, we don't have the contracts.

But it's unlikely.

I have problems pronouncing Coulthard, but it doesn't matter as he'll retire soon.

Cue-b-heh-duh

#57 Ceejay

Ceejay

• 730 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:53

Stupid Question No 8 (I think)
Is a safety car really necessary to restrict the race pace following a racing incident?

We are all familiar with the safety car being deployed following a dangerous condition caused by a racing incident, but why is a car necessary to control this situation? Surely a predetermined speed limit can be imposed, if necessary, by waved yellow flags that will allow the cars to close up to the leader without the need of a safety car? During this period the running order of the race can be adjusted by race control to allow cars to pit and resume in a corrected position. The race restart will be, as now, and controlled by the race leader.

#58 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:59

Because drivers cant be trusted.

#59 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,245 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:40

Originally posted by Ceejay
Stupid Question No 8 (I think)
Is a safety car really necessary to restrict the race pace following a racing incident?

We are all familiar with the safety car being deployed following a dangerous condition caused by a racing incident, but why is a car necessary to control this situation? Surely a predetermined speed limit can be imposed, if necessary, by waved yellow flags that will allow the cars to close up to the leader without the need of a safety car? During this period the running order of the race can be adjusted by race control to allow cars to pit and resume in a corrected position. The race restart will be, as now, and controlled by the race leader.

We used to have just yellow flags until a decade ago. Then people like Mika Hakkinen, Jacques Villeneuve and Fernando alonso decided they were too good to obey them, so now they have to sit behind the safety car like 4 year olds.

Advertisement

#60 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,644 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:56

Originally posted by Dudley

We used to have just yellow flags until a decade ago. Then people like Mika Hakkinen, Jacques Villeneuve and Fernando alonso decided they were too good to obey them, so now they have to sit behind the safety car like 4 year olds.

Didnt realise FA had been around that long.

#61 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,245 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 14:07

I think it's very clear what I mean, the safety car is needed because the drivers ignore yellows.

#62 Hiatt

Hiatt

• 2,086 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 16:23

I think it's very clear what I mean, the safety car is needed because the drivers ignore yellows.

It is clear what you mean, but you are wrong. Drivers have always ignored yellows. The difference the last ten years is that we do not want them to die these days as they used to. More, we don't even want the track marshalls to die. Like they used to. But go ahead and blame Hakkinen if it makes you feel better.

#63 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,245 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 18:08

Will do. I don't remember Mansell ever driving through a yellow flag at full pelt and considering "Waving to a marshal" being equivilent to "Slow down and be prepared to stop"

#64 Hiatt

Hiatt

• 2,086 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 18:31

I don't remember Nick Heidfeld doing it either, so what was your point again?

#65 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 18:37

Heidfeld hasnt been mentioned?

#66 Hiatt

Hiatt

• 2,086 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 20:28

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
Heidfeld hasnt been mentioned?

He is using "Mansell never did it" to prove that, in "the good old time", drivers respected the yellow flag. Then I can use Nick to prove they still do.

F1 is not the same as it was then. Safety is more of an issue now than it used to be and therefore the Safety Car is used more often.

#67 turin

turin

• 3,037 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:29

wasn't the safety car brougth in to spice up the show, ala CART/NASCAR/etc etc? (and then they sold it as being for security reasons)

#68 Rexx Havoc

Rexx Havoc

• 966 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:02

a couple of you are throwing Mika up for his finger wave coasts, thru yellows for being part of the reason why we have a saftey car in use

but what about Alonso being brought up for his wreck in Brazil
He surely put people at risk including himself
my only knowledge of this event is having seen it on the live feed
so am I wrong but did FA have ample time to avoid the wreck of Weber's(?) and the course under full yellow

was it a Marshaling error or did FA igmore the flags and kept his foot in it?

#69 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:14

Alonso was brought up, but Hiatt chose to single out the Hakkinen attack.

#70 Rexx Havoc

Rexx Havoc

• 966 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:17

so my real question was
Is FA guilty of not slowing thru Weber's wreckage causing his own wreck?

#71 Ceejay

Ceejay

• 730 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:39

posted by Ross Stonefield:
Because drivers cant be trusted.

Perhaps it should be that the FIA can’t be trusted to punish drivers/teams who seek to take advantage when waved yellow flags are clearly signalled?

#72 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:42

No series in the world has been able to properly decide that. How would you?

#73 Ceejay

Ceejay

• 730 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:50

Re: Ross Stonefield.

Now you are being silly. How does the current safety car deployment solve the problem? Perhaps you should take a little tme to think before you post, or are you so keen to get your posting rate as high as possible?

#74 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,245 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:07

Originally posted by Rexx Havoc
a couple of you are throwing Mika up for his finger wave coasts, thru yellows for being part of the reason why we have a saftey car in use

but what about Alonso being brought up for his wreck in Brazil
He surely put people at risk including himself
my only knowledge of this event is having seen it on the live feed
so am I wrong but did FA have ample time to avoid the wreck of Weber's(?) and the course under full yellow

was it a Marshaling error or did FA igmore the flags and kept his foot in it?

I brought up Hakkinen, I brought up Alonso in the same post.

And yes, that was the specific incident I had in mind although it's by no means the only one, he completely ignored the flags.

Now you are being silly. How does the current safety car deployment solve the problem? Perhaps you should take a little tme to think before you post, or are you so keen to get your posting rate as high as possible?

Er...? Because it forces them to slow down and provides an absolute marker for how much?

#75 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:18

Perhaps you should take a little tme to think before you post

You should try proofreading yours.

Im asking you how you would judge drivers to have gone too fast under yellow. The safety car is a fine and relevant tool in modern motorsport.

#76 Ceejay

Ceejay

• 730 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:39

posted by Ross Stonefield:
You should try proofreading yours.

This is the S.Q.T. (stupid question thread) not the S.A.T

#77 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:12

You nitpick my posts, im going to nitpick yours. After that I'm going to nitpick your theories.

#78 Ceejay

Ceejay

• 730 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:37

Re: Ross Stonefield:

The words “why don’t you grow up” instantly spring to mind following your last post post.

#79 Hiatt

Hiatt

• 2,086 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:40

I brought up Hakkinen, I brought up Alonso in the same post.

So if I can bring up four names from another era, I win?

Advertisement

#80 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:51

Re: Ross Stonefield:

The words “why don’t you grow up” instantly spring to mind following your last post post.

Im grown up enough to know how to spell.

#81 Hiatt

Hiatt

• 2,086 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:56

Im grown up enough to know how to spell.

If you think being a grown up equals "knowing how to spell", I think you have some rough years ahead of you. They are often referred to as "being an adult".

#82 RDM

RDM

• 2,112 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:35

Originally posted by Hiatt

If you think being a grown up equals "knowing how to spell", I think you have some rough years ahead of you. They are often referred to as "being an adult".

I think you missed the point. By a mile.

Not that I'm Stonefield's cheerleader, but he regularly displays more intelligence, illumination, clarity and humour in his 6 word (if you're lucky!) comments than most manage over several paragraphs.

Most people here can spell words correctly...but few can use them as well as Stonefield.

#83 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:43

Am I really that notorious a one liner? Really its out of courtesy. Most of us are working. I am, sort of, and I really dont have the patience to read novella on why your favorite driver is better than someone elses.

#84 Jordan191

Jordan191

• 7,262 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 13:35

Am I really that notorious a one liner? Really its out of courtesy. Most of us are working. I am, sort of, and I really dont have the patience to read novella on why your favorite driver is better than someone elses.

I won't hold it against you Stonefeld

#85 Hiatt

Hiatt

• 2,086 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 13:36

Originally posted by RDM

I think you missed the point. By a mile.

Not that I'm Stonefield's cheerleader, but he regularly displays more intelligence, illumination, clarity and humour in his 6 word (if you're lucky!) comments than most manage over several paragraphs.

Most people here can spell words correctly...but few can use them as well as Stonefield.

You are his daddy?

#86 RDM

RDM

• 2,112 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 13:46

You are his daddy?

What an odd thing to say. You seem to have taken the "Stupid" in SQT to its logical conclusion.

Do you claim to be the father of every last person you have ever past positive comment about?

#87 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,644 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 13:58

The reason the safety car was introduced was to ensure that the race would run to schedule so as not to cause problems for the TV companies. Prior to that if an incident was to bad for yellow flags the race would be stopped.

#88 Hiatt

Hiatt

• 2,086 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 14:07

Originally posted by RDM

What an odd thing to say. You seem to have taken the "Stupid" in SQT to its logical conclusion.

Do you claim to be the father of every last person you have ever past positive comment about?

Here is a clue for you: 'Context'

#89 RDM

RDM

• 2,112 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 14:20

Here is a clue for you: 'Context'

I don't take clues from the clueless, but thanks for the offer.

#90 Rexx Havoc

Rexx Havoc

• 966 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 16:27

Where the **** is Bira to edit out you Hissy Fit Bitches off this thread

I get deleted because in another thread I made a statement about Paul Tracy developing his Bad Boy image in order to hype a future line of Wifebeater Tee's and Tough Guy sunglasses
but your heavy hitters can get away with this shit in my thread?

I call Bullshit!

Grow The **** up

#91 turin

turin

• 3,037 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 18:21

Originally posted by Clatter

The reason the safety car was introduced was to ensure that the race would run to schedule so as not to cause problems for the TV companies. Prior to that if an incident was to bad for yellow flags the race would be stopped.

I logged in to post exactly that...

then I was caught by the kid's "arguments"

#92 serv

serv

• 96 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 18:57

Back to the agenda, SQ # 9 (?) : what it is about the engines they are about to freeze? Are the engine shops going to be able to work their way up the grid in any manner or is the pecking order set now?

#93 Hiatt

Hiatt

• 2,086 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 20:53

Originally posted by serv
Back to the agenda, SQ # 9 (?) : what it is about the engines they are about to freeze? Are the engine shops going to be able to work their way up the grid in any manner or is the pecking order set now?

Good question. As far as I understood the rules, they can only make small adjustments every year that is not performance related. So I guess the pecking order is set. I understand it as Mosleys idea was basically to bring bak the DFV days with this rule. Not many teams like to stay on for a 5 years of misery. The manufacturers, Toyota, Renault, Mercedes and BMW will have trouble motivating the shareholders to back a F1 project if there is no hope to win. So all of them leave, except the one with the good engine . New teams can now enter F1, buy a Ferrari engine, start racing and be very competitive with all the other teams that uses the customer standard engine. That is how I believe it looks in Max world.

Max, I know you are reading this: The seventies will never come back, no matter how hard you try and how much power you have!

#94 Rexx Havoc

Rexx Havoc

• 966 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 16:06

a few new ones here

if you look in the toyota pits the lighting fixture in Jarno Trulli's pit has his name with the number 8 on either side of it

why in china was the area to the left of the 8 to the left of his name illuminated in red
what does it signify

Stupid question #2

what was said between Alonso and Massa in parc ferme after qualifing? :confused:

#95 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,736 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 16:13

Perhaps it's about the engine-cycle? I've never noticed so I dunno.

Alonso said, "hey Fez, you fcuking cry-baby, why did you hold me up, when you cried to everyone about that in Monza, even when I was 100 metres infront!" *smacks Fez' head*

#96 Jordan191

Jordan191

• 7,262 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 16:21

Where the **** is Bira to edit out you Hissy Fit Bitches off this thread

I get deleted because in another thread I made a statement about Paul Tracy developing his Bad Boy image in order to hype a future line of Wifebeater Tee's and Tough Guy sunglasses
but your heavy hitters can get away with this shit in my thread?

I call Bullshit!

Grow The **** up

report it or shut the **** up.

#97 Rexx Havoc

Rexx Havoc

• 966 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 16:29

Originally posted by Jordan191

report it or shut the **** up.

go back to sleep homes... that was weeks ago

did your wife take the dog when she left so now you have nothing to kick and you need to bring that shit up

pull out your matchbox cars and go play crash up
and let the discussion continue between people that can talk rather than spout noise

#98 Rexx Havoc

Rexx Havoc

• 966 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 16:49

a few new ones here

if you look in the toyota pits the lighting fixture in Jarno Trulli's pit has his name with the number 8 on either side of it

why in china was the area to the left of the 8 to the left of his name illuminated in red
what does it signify

Stupid question #2

what was said between Alonso and Massa in parc ferme after qualifing? :confused:

shameless bump...

#99 Jordan191

Jordan191

• 7,262 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 17:00

a few new ones here

what does it signify

Stupid question #2

Alonso wasn't happy with Massa at the beginning of Q3 when he was all over the back of Massa's Ferrari and Massa wouldn't move over for him. I assume it's related to that.

At any rate it's idiotic. If you want to set a time, space yourself on the warmup lap.

Advertisement

#100 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,093 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 18:07

Why we have formula one?