* * * * - 5 votes

S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

• Please log in to reply
3079 replies to this topic

#1851 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 509 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:31

As stated in the article, trying to apply the 10000h rule to other fields is problematic at best. In chess there is basically no physical limit on how much you can study and practice. The number is going to be much lower for motor sports.

Drivers who make it to F1 have reached the equivalent of chess master level in their karting days. How many hours of seat time do they get in 10-15 years of karting?

Imaginary training is very important in sports where you are limited on how much you can practice in the flesh. How many hours is that?

I would guess the kids these days use simulators. It counts for something even if they don't have better than iRacing. In theory you could sim all day every day, but at some point there would be diminishing returns on how applicable it is on track?

Advertisement

#1852 WhiteSGPlayer

WhiteSGPlayer

• 44 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 15:26

Spotted this one on another forum:

When a driver crashes out, does the engine die? All the cooling systems shut down with the engine must not be good for it.

#1853 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,928 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 19:17

I think there's an auto cut out feature built in for various scenarios. The driver has the ability to stop it himself anyway. If the driver is not in an able state, the marshalls can cut it off, in which  situation the engine condition is irrelevant anyway.

#1854 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 19:34

Yes, the McLaren ECU has an impact sensor that cuts the engine after a big impact is detected.

Funny through, Montoya driving for Mclaren in Australia once left the track and the botton hit a track bump.

The car shut down and Monty was forced to leave the race.

#1855 sesku

sesku

• 285 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 22:20

What is the function of speed trap in F1? Why speed trap sometime not located at the fastest section of the circuit?

#1856 g1n

g1n

• 877 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 21:50

Just watching GP2 race at Spa, it seems GP2 cars pit in the same pit lane as F1, so how does this work then?! Do they just occupy the pit lane and not the actual garages? What about pit wall, it is all arranged for F1 teams how do GP2 people use them?!

Edited by g1n, 24 August 2013 - 23:04.

#1857 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 321 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 22:43

What is the function of speed trap in F1? Why speed trap sometime not located at the fastest section of the circuit?

The function of the speed trap is to get a relative comparison between the cars. In the upper reaches of the speed range, engine characteristics as well as aerodynamics come into play. The more drag, the slower you go. I have no idea why they choose particular placements.

Added:
The speed trap at Spa was located on the Kemmel Straight. It's flat from the bottom of the hill, up to the top and down the straight. All you have to do is make sure that the trap is placed just before the braking zone for Les Combes.

Edited by flatlander48, 25 August 2013 - 14:34.

#1858 Bleu

Bleu

• 795 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:35

GP2 don't use garages, just the pit lane and wall. Mostly GP2 teams use place of F1 team they have some kind of connection (Arden/Red Bull with Horner)

#1859 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 774 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:41

I know at silverstone the gp2 cars use the garages in the old pitlane, and use the new pitlane just for pitstops.

Advertisement

#1860 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,860 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:27

I think there's an auto cut out feature built in for various scenarios. The driver has the ability to stop it himself anyway. If the driver is not in an able state, the marshalls can cut it off, in which  situation the engine condition is irrelevant anyway.

The first thing the marshals do on arriving at any accident is to activate the electrical cut-out switch as this 'should' cut all the electrics to help reduce the chances of fire. I use the word should as there have been occasions where the teams have bypassed the cut-out for one reason or another.

#1861 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,689 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:38

Then my Stupid Question is do they get a penalty for that? Modifying safety features should be an absolute no.

#1862 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,860 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 15:04

Then my Stupid Question is do they get a penalty for that? Modifying safety features should be an absolute no.

It would most likely be reported to Race Control - what happens after that tends to be in the lap of the gods - I assume the car would be examined by the scrutineers - occasionally we might get a call back telling us what they had decided.

#1863 OO7

OO7

• 9,267 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 15:12

A top driver is out of contract for the following year.  I as a team principle am interested in signing him.  How about having one of my employees pose as fan of said driver who will offer a contract to the driver (slightly folded with the contractual text out of sight) as a normal piece of paper or brochure to sign, around the chaotic environment of fans asking for autographs.  Said driver signs the contract.  :drunk: 

I know this isn't really possible for a number of reasons.

#1864 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,933 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 17:13

Dennis Pennis managed to get OJ Simpson to sign a confession on TV using that method.

Edited by E.B., 25 August 2013 - 17:14.

#1865 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 18:21

A top driver is out of contract for the following year.  I as a team principle am interested in signing him.  How about having one of my employees pose as fan of said driver who will offer a contract to the driver (slightly folded with the contractual text out of sight) as a normal piece of paper or brochure to sign, around the chaotic environment of fans asking for autographs.  Said driver signs the contract.  :drunk:.

Like a MAD fold-in poster  :rotfl:

Autograph and signatures are not the same thing... unless you're talking about Lassie.

paw_print_signature_by_shadowcatt13-d2z8

#1866 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 18:28

Speed Trap measurements are deceiving.

Every car reaches its max speed at different points of the circuit.

I remember Takuma Sato at Canada driving for Honda.

Sato scored the fastest speed in the trap, but it was placed right before a braking zone.

The outcome is after scoring the fastest speed, Taku missed the braking point and went straigh to the grass.

So speed trap is not directly connected to the competitiveness of cars.

#1867 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 1,647 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 20:56

How is a car made to suit the driving style of certain drivers?

#1868 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 321 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 22:20

Speed Trap measurements are deceiving.
Every car reaches its max speed at different points of the circuit.

I remember Takuma Sato at Canada driving for Honda.
Sato scored the fastest speed in the trap, but it was placed right before a braking zone.
The outcome is after scoring the fastest speed, Taku missed the braking point and went straigh to the grass.
So speed trap is not directly connected to the competitiveness of cars.

Yes and no. Red Bull is typically slower in the trap than many others. Evidently they have higher drag, but generate more downforce. Often the backmarker teams have high trap speeds for the opposite reason: they tend to generate less downforce and usually have less drag.

Edited by flatlander48, 25 August 2013 - 22:22.

#1869 g1n

g1n

• 877 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 00:48

Yes and no. Red Bull is typically slower in the trap than many others. Evidently they have higher drag, but generate more downforce. Often the backmarker teams have high trap speeds for the opposite reason: they tend to generate less downforce and usually have less drag.

or rather don't they want more downforce and less drag?

Edited by g1n, 26 August 2013 - 00:54.

#1870 sergeym

sergeym

• 534 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:06

or rather don't they want more downforce and less drag?

I think at most circuits you want more downforce. The key is how to generate downforce, without producing excessive drag. Backmarkers team can not afford complex aero elements to do this.

#1871 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 321 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 23:52

Aerodynamic drag is the consequence for downforce. However, the trick is to minimize drag while maximizing downforce. Aside from manufacturing complex aero devices, you need time for CFD and wind tunnel work. Smaller teams lose out due to smaller budgets which translates to fewer people which translates to less time for CFD and wind tunnel work.

I don't know what the speed trap results were for Spa, but the fact that Red Bull had a smaller rear wing element was noticable. Evidently they generated more downforce with the body work and diffuser than the rest OR maybe the air was less turbulent when it gets to the rear wing, thereby allowing the wing to be more efficient. Whatever it was it allowed them to run a smaller wing element and reduce some of the drag. I would guess that was a good part of the reason that Vettel was so quick early in the race.

Edited by flatlander48, 27 August 2013 - 00:00.

#1872 Beamer

Beamer

• 1,358 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:29

I just watched this video: Schumi explains the steeringwheel.

At 1:45 he explains a dial on the wheel: 'Here you go to the diameter of the tires. You have three different tires that have different diameters and here you can pre-select'.

Don't get it... I thought tire measures where all the same, only compounds are different????

#1873 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 509 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:15

Wet tyres have have 10mm larger diameter. Don't know what the third would be for.

#1874 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:38

I just watched this video: Schumi explains the steeringwheel.

At 1:45 he explains a dial on the wheel: 'Here you go to the diameter of the tires. You have three different tires that have different diameters and here you can pre-select'.

Don't get it... I thought tire measures where all the same, only compounds are different????

i guess it's to tell the Diff to change the final ratios accordingly, otherwise, the gear changes will not be efficient and/or the car won't accelerate as fast or as slow as predicted. they can't adjust the ride height, so that possibility is out of the window. 

#1875 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:41

Will there be DRS next year with the new regulation changes?

#1876 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:43

Will there be DRS next year with the new regulation changes?

yep

#1877 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,295 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:44

Wet tyres have have 10mm larger diameter. Don't know what the third would be for.

Intermediates

#1878 Beamer

Beamer

• 1,358 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:23

i guess it's to tell the Diff to change the final ratios accordingly, otherwise, the gear changes will not be efficient and/or the car won't accelerate as fast or as slow as predicted. they can't adjust the ride height, so that possibility is out of the window. 

I can understand why you would want some different settings for different wheelsizes, it's just that I didn't know there where different wheelsizes. I'm not sure they can change Diff ratio's? They can change diff slip etc but I don't think they've got diff ratio's to play with... Or am I being stupid now....  :confused:

thx

Intermediates

that would be the logical option then i think. thx.

#1879 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 509 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:02

What is the diameter of an intermediate tyre then?

Advertisement

#1880 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,295 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:14

What is the diameter of an intermediate tyre then?

Oh! I think they have the same same maximum diameter as the full wets. What I meant is that I think Schumacher was thinking about dry, intermediates and full wets.
I was in a hurry and summarised it waaaaay too much :blush:

Edited by artista, 28 August 2013 - 10:17.

#1881 HopkinsonF1

HopkinsonF1

• 336 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 13:53

Dennis Pennis managed to get OJ Simpson to sign a confession on TV using that method.

Wasn't that Armando Iannucci?

#1882 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,860 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 16:03

I can understand why you would want some different settings for different wheelsizes, it's just that I didn't know there where different wheelsizes. I'm not sure they can change Diff ratio's? They can change diff slip etc but I don't think they've got diff ratio's to play with... Or am I being stupid now....  :confused:

thx

that would be the logical option then i think. thx.

Rather than changing the diff settings I assume it would be to change the settings for the pit-lane limiter, otherwise there would be a risk of speeding in the pit lane.

#1883 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 321 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 00:17

You can't change the ratio in the rear end without actually physically changing the ratios. However, I think you can change the degree of slip, side to side. Perhaps the tire diameter is the basis for the slip calculation.

Regarding tire size, I would guess that the thickness of the carcass is the same across dry and wet tires, but the wet tires have extra thickness because it has a tread. If the diametral difference is 10mm, the tread depth might be 5mm, or a bit under 1/4".

#1884 seldo

seldo

• 1,628 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:07

You can't change the ratio in the rear end without actually physically changing the ratios. However, I think you can change the degree of slip, side to side. Perhaps the tire diameter is the basis for the slip calculation.

Regarding tire size, I would guess that the thickness of the carcass is the same across dry and wet tires, but the wet tires have extra thickness because it has a tread. If the diametral difference is 10mm, the tread depth might be 5mm, or a bit under 1/4".

The diameter of the wets is 670 vs 660 for the drys/slicks, so the rolling circumference differs by 31mm ( 2073/2104 ) which with the pit-lane speed limiter set for dry tyres at 100kph pit-lane speed, would give you 101.47 if you were on wets.
Since they can't change the diff/gear ratios by way of a switch after a tyre-change, they use the switch on the steering wheel to alter the rev-limiter accordingly

Edited by seldo, 29 August 2013 - 02:09.

#1885 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 257 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 16:48

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=3QBMCubccUM

In this interview Lewis talks about his earlier break issues and his convincing Mercedes and Rosberg to switch from 'Brembo' breaks to the company he used at Mclaren: Carbon Industries. The interviewer notes that "wouldnt that have disadvantaged Nico"? And Lewis responds with a firm no, that they're the superior breaks to be on, and that Rosberg agreed also.

I'm just wondering why more Drivers don't use CI breaks (I think only Lewis and Nico use them), seeing as Lewis and Nico believe them to be the best. They're apparently the breaks you need to be on for Hard breaking. Well, why don't other drivers who are late breakers (Webber? Maybe Alonso/Maldonado) also switch on to CI?

Edited by Nahnever, 30 August 2013 - 16:50.

#1886 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,689 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 18:12

It's not just stopping power. There are durability/wear issues, heat retention, and most importantly pedal feel. Maybe if all the other cars switched to CI they'd improve, maybe nothing would change, maybe it wouldn't work with their cars. Didn't Alonso and Lewis use different brakes for most of 2007?

#1887 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,585 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 20:45

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=3QBMCubccUM

In this interview Lewis talks about his earlier break issues and his convincing Mercedes and Rosberg to switch from 'Brembo' breaks to the company he used at Mclaren: Carbon Industries. The interviewer notes that "wouldnt that have disadvantaged Nico"? And Lewis responds with a firm no, that they're the superior breaks to be on, and that Rosberg agreed also.

I'm just wondering why more Drivers don't use CI breaks (I think only Lewis and Nico use them), seeing as Lewis and Nico believe them to be the best. They're apparently the breaks you need to be on for Hard breaking. Well, why don't other drivers who are late breakers (Webber? Maybe Alonso/Maldonado) also switch on to CI?

That's a silly thing to say as the response should have been that he would not have been at a disadvantage compared to NR with the old brakes. 

#1888 Dolph

Dolph

• 5,061 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 23:08

It's not just stopping power. There are durability/wear issues, heat retention, and most importantly pedal feel. Maybe if all the other cars switched to CI they'd improve, maybe nothing would change, maybe it wouldn't work with their cars. Didn't Alonso and Lewis use different brakes for most of 2007?

So did Button & Hamilton.

#1889 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,933 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 16:30

I was going to say no, but Exhibit A kind of proves me wrong, doesn't it? :blush:

#1890 P0inters

P0inters

• 429 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 16:21

Does anyone know why some teams use the big tall t-cam during tests ?

#1891 sesku

sesku

• 285 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 16:31

Does anyone know why some teams use the big tall t-cam during tests ?

Iirc, that "tall t-cam" house a pitot tube to measure airspeed.

#1892 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 321 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 16:41

Yes, it uses airflow that is away from the turbulent air going over the body...

#1893 OO7

OO7

• 9,267 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 16:44

:lol:

#1894 Seano

Seano

• 294 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 00:06

Please help settle a pub argument - when and where did Alonso first get the nickname?

I'm thinking it was at his Benetton/Oxford days but I don't know,

Seano

Edited by Seano, 09 September 2013 - 00:10.

#1895 barnardferrari

barnardferrari

• 228 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 00:19

This 2004 Pitpass article attributes the nickname "Fred" to television commentator David Hobbs of Speedvision/SPEED in the United States, probably during his time with Renault (formerly Benetton).

Varsha gets along well with color analyst David Hobbs, and more importantly understands his off beat comments and plays off them, something that was lacking with former SPEED race caller Rick Debruhl. Hobbs can be a little offbeat (he is, after all, an ex driver), and some of his comments go over most heads. He can be very funny such as a couple years ago when Fernando Alonso was gaining prominence. He mused that Alonso needed a nickname and came up with "Fred" which has stuck somewhat with U.S. fans.

#1896 Ferrarifrevr

Ferrarifrevr

• 12 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:42

I don't know if this applies to the thread but I really want know how many 1-2's involving vettel and Alonso hv occurred from 2010 onwards......it doesn't matter the order in which they finished. It would be quite interesting to know..... :-)

#1897 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 13:02

so here's a question i'd like ask 

sergei sirotkin will be 18 year old F1 driver next year provided the FIA issues a 'Super License' for him. before that, he'll have 11 days (IIRC) in a older sauber car and also outing in the YDT and FP's. 

here's my question, what circumstances necessitates a driver to require a 'super license' ??? i.e when does FIA thinks this kid need a super license when he's happily driving a F1 car in anger at a test track. does getting into an F1 car (even in a shake down) requires some sort of permission / license from the FIA??? what about 'Corsi clienti' ??? is it solely in the hands of the teams???

IIRC both kimi and alonso (as for that matter most drivers in the early 2000s) tested countless miles for sauber and minardi and didn't require a supre license, yet when sauber wanted to field kim, max and FIA went through a 'hissy-fit' saying how dangerous it is for such a rookie behind an F1 steering wheel. 

also, does the gp2/gp3/FR3.5 drivers need super license of sorts cause they do drive in the FPs and YTDs for certain F1 teams (calado/prost/costa)??

#1898 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,689 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 13:09

You don't need a superlicense to test, just to race.

You get a superlicense by winning or finishing in the top 3(usually top 3) of certain championships, or by doing a minimum amount of testing miles in F1 without being too slow or dangerous.

#1899 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,295 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 13:18

Eron, the regulations to get the super license is published in the FIA site.
Link: http://www.fia.com/s...NEXE L 2013.pdf
Go to article 5 (page 4)

Advertisement

#1900 paipa

paipa

• 311 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 20:35

Brundle and Hamilton were talking about overtaking this weekend, here's the video if you haven't seen it. At around 2:45 Hamilton said "You look at the guy in front of you and you know what kind of driver they are, from their history. Cause you're constantly seeing how they drive. [...] You as a driver just have to know what the driver in front is gonna do."

Makes me wonder: do drivers re-watch races in depth? In most sports, preparing for your opponents includes watching TV footage, often analyzing it for hours. How is it in F1? Top drivers don't meet midfielders on track all that often, but for the occasions they do, knowing their style should be useful as Hamilton says above.

So how much do F1 drivers know about each other? Is it just some generic stuff like X is late on the brakes, or Y never risks an accident, Z has a tendency to run others off the track? Everybody knows Maldonado or Button but do drivers have any idea how Paul Di Resta or Daniel Ricciardo would defend against them?