* * * * - 5 votes

S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

• Please log in to reply
3181 replies to this topic

#2801 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,894 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:35

Stupid question; has there ever been a colourblind F1 driver, and if yes or no; would it be possible to drive F1 while colourblind? Yellow/green flag could be difficult to distinguish. 

Advertisement

#2802 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,443 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:23

I don't think there ever was. You could still see the difference in contrast between those sorts of flags, but it's highly unlikely to ever see such a driver in F1.

#2803 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 1,226 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:27

Stupid question; has there ever been a colourblind F1 driver, and if yes or no; would it be possible to drive F1 while colourblind? Yellow/green flag could be difficult to distinguish. 

No driver, but Martin Whitmarsh (ex team principal of McLaren) is color-blind iirc.

#2804 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,962 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:49

There are several kinds of colourblindness - it's a whole spectrum so to say  :D

Being colourblind myself, I can't think of having any problem distinguishing between yellow and green (I think a very, very small % of colourblind people would have that problem). For most people who are colourblind, green and red can be trickier but it's not like they're the just same to them.

#2805 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,894 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:24

green and red can be trickier 

well I could see that becoming a problem when marshals start waving red flags!

#2806 mjspeed

mjspeed

• 27 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:34

You can just follow the lead of other drivers in that situation. I'm colour blind and have often done that when karting. It always surprised me when applying/renewing my race licence that colour blindness didn't need to be declared.

#2807 Ricciardo2014

Ricciardo2014

• 274 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:47

I heard a rumour many years ago that Rubens was colour blind between red and brown.

It was interesting to me because my brother suffers from exactly the same thing.

Never ever found a reputable article or source on it though, so it might be BS ?

#2808 ATM

ATM

• 248 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 23:45

Question (stupid): I get the drinking, but what about the exit? if a driver feels the urge to water the roses, does he have like a built-in recipient in the costume, or just lets it loose? 

...because it must be really distracting driving around with a twitchy bladder. 

Question number 2: it is generally agreed that the length of an F1 car has increased quite a lot in the last 10 years. But, on the other side, the rear is pretty much stretched methinks- at almost every current car, due to compactness of gearbox etc., there is a nearly void space of about 10 cm between the rear wing and the rest (look at Williams, for instance). Why don't they just cut down the length size regulations, so we can have more balanced cars? from the aesthetic point of view, of course. 

Edited by ATM, 10 June 2014 - 23:45.

#2809 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,107 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:05

Probably something to do with crush zones. The chance that the car backs into the wall at speed. Much like how the IRL developed the attenuator at the back of the gearbox when cars where going gearbox first into the wall on the ovals. An added crush zone fix when the original car design lacked the safety feature. 

#2810 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 321 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:15

Generally speaking, you sweat enough that a potty break isn't needed. The high level of concentration also comes into play. However, many years ago there was an incident with Dan Gurney. I believe it was at Clermont-Ferrand or perhaps another mountaneous circuit. Basically he stopped in a location where there weren't any spectators and got out of his car. He left it running, found a rock to keep the car from rolling and disappeared behind some bushes for a few moments...

#2811 fZero

fZero

• 39 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:31

Question (stupid): I get the drinking, but what about the exit? if a driver feels the urge to water the roses, does he have like a built-in recipient in the costume, or just lets it loose? 

I'm not sure if it was early this year or late last year, but Johnny Herbert said on air he would just let it loose as you say. Webber once vomited in his helmet during a race from food poisoning, but Vettle crashed into him and ended his race.

#2812 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,077 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 16:37

How does AUDI's annual Le Mans budget compare to that of any top spending F1 team?

#2813 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 212 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 16:46

In Formula 1: it's all described in Technical Regulations http://www.fia.com/s...014-01-23_0.pdf, p. 71.

cheers, but unless I missed it, I didn't see where it said how it was decided which cars would carry cameras  :confused:

#2814 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,898 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 16:47

It'd pay for a strong midfield team. Somewhere between Force India and Williams, but nowhere near the big big teams.

It'd pay for an F1 engine program though.

And they're spending waaaaaay more than the likes of Toyota. And I can't see where the value comes from. I mean not enough to justify that much money.

#2815 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,070 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 16:48

It almost seems like an ego thing for Audi and Le Mans at this point.

#2816 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,962 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 16:49

cheers, but unless I missed it, I didn't see where it said how it was decided which cars would carry cameras  :confused:

it says that "All cars must be fitted with at least five cameras or camera housings at all times throughout the Event."

#2817 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,077 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 16:51

Okay, thanks.

#2818 Option1

Option1

• 13,484 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 17:13

I think both Webber and Martin Brundle have said if you need to pee, well you just accept you'll be sitting in a wet firesuit for a bit.

Neil

#2819 Kristian

Kristian

• 825 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 20:15

Quick stupid question - how is track length measured? Is it by centreline or by racing line? Or inside/outside limits? I guess its the centreline? 

Advertisement

#2820 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,107 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 20:19

A good question. Didn't know myself and never bothered to look until you brought it up. 

The FIA, which sanctions Formula 1, WRC, and numerous other cham­pi­on­ships and motorsports records, says the center line of the track is used for the official track length. This is determined by measuring the distances around the inside and outside edges of the track and averaging the results. This distance differs from the racing line, so the actual distance a car travels in a race might differ slightly from the circuit’s posted length, and the average speed based on lap time will differ from the average in-car speed.

http://www.caranddri...isited-car-news

So the 231 mph pole speed isn't exactly what the car did? So what was the average speed of the car then? 

#2821 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,898 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 21:02

I think there were differences between how CART and IRL calculated track length at the same locations. To the point where some track records aren't...

#2822 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,013 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 21:18

Not F1 but movie star Paul Newman, who finished second in the 1979 Le Mans 24 Hours was colour blind.

#2823 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 1,394 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 21:25

I think both Webber and Martin Brundle have said if you need to pee, well you just accept you'll be sitting in a wet firesuit for a bit.

Neil

Plenty of articles about Nelson Piquet who even pissed in the car when he was in the garage.

#2824 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,966 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 21:28

Knowing Nelson, I presume you mean he pissed in Nigel's car?

#2825 Kristian

Kristian

• 825 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 21:50

A good question. Didn't know myself and never bothered to look until you brought it up. 

http://www.caranddri...isited-car-news

So the 231 mph pole speed isn't exactly what the car did? So what was the average speed of the car then? 

Thanks for the answer!

And yes, that's why I was wondering. 

#2826 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 498 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:16

Silly question, but can someone explain Audi's laser lights at Le Mans? I saw red, then white, and then green at the finish...

#2827 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,070 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:23

Knowing Nelson, I presume you mean he pissed in Nigel's car?

That's some caveman shit right there. Marking your territory.

#2828 Dipster

Dipster

• 263 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:23

It'd pay for a strong midfield team. Somewhere between Force India and Williams, but nowhere near the big big teams.

It'd pay for an F1 engine program though.

And they're spending waaaaaay more than the likes of Toyota. And I can't see where the value comes from. I mean not enough to justify that much money.

And based on yesterday's mainstream news coverage of Le Mans - including in France - hardly worth the bother....... But that might be due to some football event somewhere else.

#2829 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,107 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:34

And based on yesterday's mainstream news coverage of Le Mans - including in France - hardly worth the bother....... But that might be due to some football event somewhere else.

I think Le Mans fits Audi better. The company has most of it's success in touring car and rally before it's Le Mans Prototype run. That company as a whole really. 

A question: Was in anything considered mainstream (even the sporting magazines), was Le Mans really ever a big thing? In sporting terms, was Le Mans ever a big deal? 

#2830 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,966 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 13:58

That's some caveman shit right there. Marking your territory.

And I'm genuinely not even sure if I was joking or not.

#2831 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 321 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 17:34

I think Le Mans fits Audi better. The company has most of it's success in touring car and rally before it's Le Mans Prototype run. That company as a whole really. 

A question: Was in anything considered mainstream (even the sporting magazines), was Le Mans really ever a big thing? In sporting terms, was Le Mans ever a big deal?

Yes, it was ALWAYS a big deal and still is. Jaguar sold a lot of cars in the 50's and 60's based on their wins in the 50's, for example. In more recent times it makes a statement about the technologies employed (diesels and hybrids of various arrangements) and the engineering prowess of the companies involved.

#2832 August

August

• 2,251 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 20:07

Yes, it was ALWAYS a big deal and still is. Jaguar sold a lot of cars in the 50's and 60's based on their wins in the 50's, for example. In more recent times it makes a statement about the technologies employed (diesels and hybrids of various arrangements) and the engineering prowess of the companies involved.

In some ways I feel success at Le Mans would attract sports car buyers, maybe even more than F1. That's why Toyota's presence at Le Mans feels strange to me, they are more of a family car brand.

#2833 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,898 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 20:17

I've seen many Toyota/Peugeot/Audi/Porsche ads in papers like The Times over the years. The only time there are F1 stuff was when a McLaren won and Santander ran an ad.

#2834 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 321 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 21:03

In some ways I feel success at Le Mans would attract sports car buyers, maybe even more than F1. That's why Toyota's presence at Le Mans feels strange to me, they are more of a family car brand.

Remember that Toyota was in F-1 for several years... They have a big presence in NASCAR, USAC and Off Road also. They built Group 7 cars that could have raced in the Can-Am but they abandoned the program. They've been around...

#2835 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,962 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 22:07

It was absolutely, and especially in the mid 60s. I somehow remember some serious advertising by Ford in Dutch national newspapers when they won in 1966 -and that was in the Netherlands, a country at that moment with no real direct connection to the event. As I remember, the Le Mans 24h was certainly more important in the sixties than individual F1 GPs and about as important as the F1 WDC in itself. It was the main event of the year - at this side of the ocean of course.

The importance of Le Mans more or less collapsed after 1971 when regulation changes resulted in both Porsche and Ferrari not entering for the 1972 race.

In my memory Le Mans got quite some kind of a renaissance in importance in the later eighties/early nineties -just look at the 90/91 entries: Jaguar, Porsche, Mercedes, Peugeot, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda- but, as the story goes, FIA more or less stifled that in favour of F1.

#2836 August

August

• 2,251 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 22:27

Remember that Toyota was in F-1 for several years... They have a big presence in NASCAR, USAC and Off Road also. They built Group 7 cars that could have raced in the Can-Am but they abandoned the program. They've been around...

My point was only that they're a different brand compared to Audi or Porsche, and I'm not sure their target customers follow Le Mans so much. Of course, they have history in racing but F1 and NASCAR are more of motorsports for masses who are wondering which brand of a family car to buy. Le Mans followers are more of racing enthusiasts dreaming of a sports car.

#2837 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 947 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 23:17

Silly question, but can someone explain Audi's laser lights at Le Mans? I saw red, then white, and then green at the finish...

The Audi's feature both Laser and LED light sources. The teams cars employ different colours on the outer ring of LEDs to make them more identifiable head on coming into the pits.

#2838 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 321 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 23:38

My point was only that they're a different brand compared to Audi or Porsche, and I'm not sure their target customers follow Le Mans so much. Of course, they have history in racing but F1 and NASCAR are more of motorsports for masses who are wondering which brand of a family car to buy. Le Mans followers are more of racing enthusiasts dreaming of a sports car.

Toyota has always been big on their engineering capabilities. This parallels Audi, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, etc. NASCAR doesn't offer a way to directly show that as the general perception is pretty low tech (not the reality, however). Same goes for USAC and Off Road. Indy Car is a spec series, and there's already 2 entrenched competitors. Evidently they are not ready to spend F-1 type money, so that leaves Le Mans and the WEC.

#2839 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,898 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 00:19

A Toyota win would be a big thing though, slaying Audi and Porsche.

And just in general, how about the fact that there's a 1000hp four-wheel drive Toyota prototype? That's a decent draw. And they're using it to push the Toyota Hybrid line, of which I just noticed an ad for this weekend. I think it was a Yaris or something, but the graphic was the same as the Le Mans car.

Advertisement

#2840 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 321 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:30

Their hybrid is the Prius. One almost sneaked up on me in our parking garage at work the other day. If you fart you make more noise than those things do sometimes...

#2841 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,898 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:14

Their hybrid line is more than the Prius.

#2842 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,107 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:23

But Toyota has had a hybrid program in their production engineering side since at least 1997 (when they introduced the Prius). What does racing a system that has been, I assume, pretty much peaked it's engineering efficiency help? I again would assume most know the capabilities of a hybrid system (as most best selling cars by the automakers have a hybrid option), so no marketing ploys. 

Like Ross said about how they are pushing their hybrid line. But don't most consumers already know what the hybrid car is? And from my experience with Toyota, the dealer quickly mentioned he had a few hybrid Camry's on the lot (trying to find a non-German sport sedan that is better than the Fusion I am leaning towards. Camry's not it.). The dealers are pushing them. I understand the point of advertising, but don't understand why the need to push cars that don't need advertising. Like why we don't see ads for Ferrari. Or Tesla (off-topic, passed a Model S on the highway today. Pretty sure I ran someone off the road in the next few miles staring at it in my mirror). 

Maybe this is just a tactical move by the top prototype teams? Get a few extra laps in hopes of shedding a fuel stop, which is well, good for racing. They can say all the advertising, helping the environment, green this-green that, but at the end of the day they can build a 1000bhp car that can potentially get a few extra laps that it's opponent. Making it a sprint race pace with the fuel savings that would usually come with racing in a 24 hour race.  

Edited by HaydenFan, 17 June 2014 - 02:27.

#2843 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 321 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:46

Their hybrid line is more than the Prius.

Perhaps I should have stated that it is the only small car with a hybrid drivetrain. There is at least a Camry model and a Highlander model.

#2844 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 321 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:54

But Toyota has had a hybrid program in their production engineering side since at least 1997 (when they introduced the Prius). What does racing a system that has been, I assume, pretty much peaked it's engineering efficiency help? I again would assume most know the capabilities of a hybrid system (as most best selling cars by the automakers have a hybrid option), so no marketing ploys.

No, I would think that it continues to evolve. Battery technology improved. Advances in microprocessor speed and capability allow for more sophisticated control algorithms. NOTHING stays the same...

Like Ross said about how they are pushing their hybrid line. But don't most consumers already know what the hybrid car is? And from my experience with Toyota, the dealer quickly mentioned he had a few hybrid Camry's on the lot (trying to find a non-German sport sedan that is better than the Fusion I am leaning towards. Camry's not it.). The dealers are pushing them. I understand the point of advertising, but don't understand why the need to push cars that don't need advertising. Like why we don't see ads for Ferrari. Or Tesla (off-topic, passed a Model S on the highway today. Pretty sure I ran someone off the road in the next few miles staring at it in my mirror).

Beyond knowing what it is, they want to demonstrate the superiority of their particular technology and make the linkage between the race car and the street car. The message is: "If we can do this (be successful at Le Mans), imagine what we can do for you!".

By the way, have you checked out the Maxima SE?

Oops, it is now the SV...

Edited by flatlander48, 17 June 2014 - 02:56.

#2845 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,898 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:53

Perhaps I should have stated that it is the only small car with a hybrid drivetrain. There is at least a Camry model and a Highlander model.

Just re-checked the paper, it was the Auris.

#2846 Dipster

Dipster

• 263 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:05

Their hybrid is the Prius. One almost sneaked up on me in our parking garage at work the other day. If you fart you make more noise than those things do sometimes...

I tried to drive one a couple of years ago. Unsuccessfully....  Neither I or a colleague (and we are both into cars) could get the handbrake off! We dragged its rear around the car park until we bored of this and took a cab. I felt quite stupid but have heard others have also fallen foul of such cunning Japanese ways.

#2847 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 321 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 17:47

We don't get the Auris in the US in any form. The gas hierarchy is Yaris-Corolla-Camry. The hybrid hierarchy is Prius-Camry-Avalon.

#2848 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,898 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 18:09

Toyota Le Mans is mainly a Toyota Europe thingy. And the ads in UK papers would be too, obviously. 

#2849 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 19:58

I rather ask here than google: why some LMP cars have 2 seats when they only need 1?

#2850 Option1

Option1

• 13,484 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 20:05

I think they all have 2 seats, even if the 2nd seat is rudimentary.  The philosophy (and the resulting rules, I think) being that this is sportscar racing, derived from the original road-going sportscar racing, and therefore the cars should be capable of carrying a passenger. 

Besides, if they didn't have the 2nd seat then they'd be a formula car, and that'd just be wrong. ;)

Neil