S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

• Please log in to reply
3014 replies to this topic

#3001 ANF

ANF

• 695 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 21:43

Two questions about things I heard on Rosberg's radio in practice at Monza:

1. Rosberg was having problems with the downshifts and reported, "The gears are not learning," at which his engineer replied, "Cancel brake magic." What exactly is "brake magic"? Some sort of advanced rev control for efficient braking?

2. Rosberg asked a question that had to do with the setup of the car, and his engineer seemed reluctant go give a straight answer. Rosberg was then told to "use the other radio". Is there perhaps a "secret" team radio that's not available to the FOM broadcast?

Advertisement

#3002 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 1,268 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 21:52

If there is Rosberg probably had no chance of using it anyway given it was likely jammed with the wall making all Hamilton's decisions for him ;)

#3003 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,514 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 22:49

2. Rosberg asked a question that had to do with the setup of the car, and his engineer seemed reluctant go give a straight answer. Rosberg was then told to "use the other radio". Is there perhaps a "secret" team radio that's not available to the FOM broadcast?

'Ham radio' of course  :D

Community_Amateur_Radio_Pittsburgh_1.jpg

#3004 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,301 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 22:52

Why is it in a disabled toilet?

#3005 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 317 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 23:18

Two questions about things I heard on Rosberg's radio in practice at Monza:
1. Rosberg was having problems with the downshifts and reported, "The gears are not learning," at which his engineer replied, "Cancel brake magic." What exactly is "brake magic"? Some sort of advanced rev control for efficient braking?

Given that part of the braking is done by kinetic energy absorption, I would guess that it relates to some software that manages the rate at which the energy is absorbed. You would want that to have a certain rate and not too much or too little as it should feel like it isn't really happening. It should be seamless.

#3006 August

August

• 2,127 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:29

Why doesnt Indy race on COTA?

F1 usually doesn't allow IndyCar use its tracks. That's why IndyCar had a street race in Sao Paulo. Then again, I don't know how Montreal was allowed to host both F1 and CART.

Then my S.Q.:

IndyCar, Super Formula, and Formula E are those single-seater series where drivers go after F1 or when their F1 door has closed but they still want to stay in single-seaters. But are drivers in those series pay drivers or paid drivers? I least I could assume the big names in IndyCar are paid drivers but I could guess there are pay drivers, too.

#3007 Vepe1995

Vepe1995

• 105 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 13:28

F1 usually doesn't allow IndyCar use its tracks. That's why IndyCar had a street race in Sao Paulo. Then again, I don't know how Montreal was allowed to host both F1 and CART.

Then my S.Q.:

IndyCar, Super Formula, and Formula E are those single-seater series where drivers go after F1 or when their F1 door has closed but they still want to stay in single-seaters. But are drivers in those series pay drivers or paid drivers? I least I could assume the big names in IndyCar are paid drivers but I could guess there are pay drivers, too.

I, too, would think the big names are paid to drive, the rest are split between "paying to race" and "not paid, but not paying."

#3008 Option1

Option1

• 13,229 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 16:01

F1 usually doesn't allow IndyCar use its tracks...

This keeps getting trotted out, but I'm not at all convinced that's true these days.  I think Bernie lost his paranoia about Indycar when the CART/IRL split was at its most damaging for open wheel racing in Nth America.  He simply didn't see it as a threat, because it wasn't.  And while Indycar is very definitely on the mend, Bernie's evil eye of Mordough hasn't yet noticed its resurgence.

I strongly suspect that Indycar doesn't race at Austin/COTA because of the usual reason for everything, $$$. 

Neil

#3009 August

August

• 2,127 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 16:17

This keeps getting trotted out, but I'm not at all convinced that's true these days.  I think Bernie lost his paranoia about Indycar when the CART/IRL split was at its most damaging for open wheel racing in Nth America.  He simply didn't see it as a threat, because it wasn't.  And while Indycar is very definitely on the mend, Bernie's evil eye of Mordough hasn't yet noticed its resurgence.

I strongly suspect that Indycar doesn't race at Austin/COTA because of the usual reason for everything, $$$. 

Neil

Don't forget it was just last year when Sao Paulo had IndyCar on a street circuit.

#3010 Option1

Option1

• 13,229 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 17:05

Don't forget it was just last year when Sao Paulo had IndyCar on a street circuit.

I hadn't, but that doesn't mean the F1 circuit weren't allowed to run them.  There could well have been other factors involved, including the city believing they'd get better publicity value for the money spent by running on a street circuit, plus it could very well have been Indycar's desire to run on the street circuit - biatches love those concrete canyons.

Neil

#3011 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 726 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:41

What is it about 2014 that does not allow EBD? The single exhaust or the angle of the exhaust pipe?

#3012 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,791 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:27

1. Rosberg was having problems with the downshifts and reported, "The gears are not learning,"

Gearbox "learning" is a type of calibration that lets the computer know exactly what the sensors in the gearbox are actually reading, as opposed to what they might theoretically read.

An explanation from elsewhere on the net...

There are rotary position sensors on the gear selector barrel that correlate voltage to selected gear number. With heat and mechanical tolerance, they can be slightly misaligned, so they can do a quick recalibration from the cockpit by engaging 7th gear and telling the gearbox control MCU that the box is physically in 7th, so it will identify what voltage correlates.

So its quite common for drivers to be reminded on the formation lap (when they are driving slow) to "learn 7th gear" by selecting it even though they aren't really driving fast enough to normally warrant using it. It lets the computer see what the gearbox sensors are actually reading.

Thats only half the explanation... the "brake magic" thing might actually be a completely different problem Nico was having.

Incidentally, the reminder to the driver will be BANNED from the Japanese grand prix onwards.

Its not just F1 cars that have gearbox learning issues. Ferrari road car forums are also full of people complaining about difficulties with gearboxes doing the wrong thing, and others suggesting a new "learning" calibration might fix it...

#3013 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 849 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:25

What is it about 2014 that does not allow EBD? The single exhaust or the angle of the exhaust pipe?

Both. 

#3014 Jerem

Jerem

• 185 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:49

If Merc DO have another radio, they could use it to trick that radio clampdown thing.

#3015 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 726 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:05

If Merc DO have another radio, they could use it to trick that radio clampdown thing.

Something like "go secure" stuff you see in spy flicks.