* * * * - 5 votes

S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

• Please log in to reply
3064 replies to this topic

#3051 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,564 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 13:05

Am I the only person who sees irony in a post about speaking English good? ;-)

Well I find it funny you would make such a comment considering irony is one of the most misused words :)

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Irony#Misuse

Advertisement

#3052 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 175 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 14:28

Well I find it funny you would make such a comment considering irony is one of the most misused words :)

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Irony#Misuse

No, I think his use of the word 'Irony' is correct, it's just that you have missed his point/little joke...unless this is all some kind off double bluff and you were making the joke originally  :D

Edited by DainBramaged, 20 October 2014 - 14:33.

#3053 PAGATRON

PAGATRON

• 426 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 13:20

Don't know if this has been brought up before but there have been several times when both Lewis and Nico have had to remove the headrest before exiting the car, is this within the rules?

#3054 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,816 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 13:24

If by headrest you mean the U-shaped high density foam cockpit surround then I imagine all drivers have to remove it in order to get out. F1 drivers are pretty skinny but I don't think any are thin enough to get out without removing it.

Edited by ExFlagMan, 22 October 2014 - 13:25.

#3055 PAGATRON

PAGATRON

• 426 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 13:31

But Alonso managed to do it without removing the 'surround' at Monza, and Kimi at Siliverstone.

Isn't the rule is that you have to be able to exit the car within 5 seconds without removing the headrest?

Edited by PAGATRON, 22 October 2014 - 13:32.

#3056 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,816 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 14:02

Looking at the reg's, that is what it appears to say - but I guess that only applies during the test exit - you have to be 'able' to get out without removing the padding, but it does not say have to get out that way. I guess it is just one of the foibles of FIA regulations.

#3057 chrisj

chrisj

• 587 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:10

Does any single country have enough quality drivers to respectably fill an entire Formula 1 grid?

For example, there are probably enough good Spanish riders to make a full Moto GP grid and not be embarrassment; or, in the late '70's there were at least 8 French Formula 1 drivers capable of winning GPs, and I could think of 4 or 5 more who wouldn't have been out of place.

In 2014, England would have to be the closest. Talent has always deep there, but 22 deep? Germany would also be a possibility.

#3058 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 320 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:24

Actually a full grid would be 24...

#3059 chrisj

chrisj

• 587 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:40

Actually a full grid is whatever number Bernie says it is ...

Advertisement

#3060 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,563 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:41

What do we consider respectable? The top 24 of the NASCAR grid is pretty damn good, if they had grown up in Europe racing karts...

#3061 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 175 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:26

I'm pretty sure it would be 26 as under the current rules there is room for 13 teams. I remember a few years ago when there were 12 teams, there was talk of another joining the grid.

#3062 Risil

Risil

• 14,162 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:00

Probably France could still do it. They have plenty of LMP and Indycar drivers who nearly/could have made a name for themselves in Grand Prix racing.

In the world of commercial reality though, these countries barely have so much as a Formula 3 championship.

Edited by Risil, 25 October 2014 - 11:02.

#3063 Kraken

Kraken

• 767 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:35

The FIA keep saying they won't ask teams to run a 3rd car next year and other such statements but with the agreements in place (as far as I know) for teams to run a third car if the grid falls could a team actually choose to run a 3rd car without it being mandatory?

#3064 Risil

Risil

• 14,162 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 13:05

The FIA keep saying they won't ask teams to run a 3rd car next year and other such statements but with the agreements in place (as far as I know) for teams to run a third car if the grid falls could a team actually choose to run a 3rd car without it being mandatory?

Mandatory third cars would probably drive a few more teams into extinction, so I assume the plan has always been to introduce them on a voluntary basis.

Someone who's more familiar with the world of common sense than the world of F1 might conclude the only detail to be worked out is how three-car teams score their constructors' points. However if Joe Saward is at all accurate (and I'm inclined to believe he's spoken to people in the know), it's more complicated than you'd expect. Labyrinthine, Byzantine, serpentine all rhyme but don't begin to cover the mess the (secret) rules appear to be in.

As I understand it, the third car rule is far less simple than some imagine. Teams cannot just turn up and run extra cars at all the races. In order to be fair (in a fashion) the teams should be given the same opportunities to run third cars because there will always be a strategic element in any additional car running. This means that the choice of these third cars has to be random. As we understand it, each ballot will exclude the team that ran a third car in the last race.

We do not know whether or not the third cars have to be run in the same livery as the two normal entries, or whether the space can be sold to different sponsors. That might help teams pay for these otherwise useless cars, but there may be rules that stop this happening, although there is nothing in the public domain that suggests that this is the case.  The Sporting Regulations state that “both cars entered by a competitor must be presented in substantially the same livery at each event”, which does not really help as “both” does not take into account a third car.

With midranking teams haggling over whether they get shown up every weekend by two silver cars or three, you could say without worrying about contradiction that F1 has entered its decadent phase.

Edited by Risil, 25 October 2014 - 13:11.

#3065 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,563 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 14:13

That's like the most F1 thing I've ever read.