S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

• Please log in to reply
3232 replies to this topic

#3201 kevinracefan

kevinracefan

• 154 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 15:52

here's a stupid question..

why doesn't the "quote" feature work for me?

Advertisement

#3202 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 385 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 16:11

You need to use:

[ quote ] This should be quoted [ /quote ]

without the spaces between the square brackets...  ;)

Example:

This should be quoted

Edited by GrumpyYoungMan, 12 February 2015 - 16:12.

#3203 Exb

Exb

• 2,017 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 16:13

It took me ages to work out how to use the 'quote' feature (and several others on here),

In the 'reply' box in the toolbar at the top there is something that looks like a light swich, and depending on if it is on or off changes if I can quote other posts, so try clicking on that.

Not sure if your problem will be the same, as on my old work computor (they recently upgraded them all) the quote feature wouldn't work at all, it also might depend on what browser you are using, if I am at home and on Chrome, it works all the time (and thats the only way I can post pictures as well).

Edit: or you can you the cheat GrumpyYoungMan posted above - thats the way I used to get round the issue at work  :)

Edited by Exb, 12 February 2015 - 16:14.

#3204 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 385 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 16:17

It took me ages to work out how to use the 'quote' feature (and several others on here),
In the 'reply' box in the toolbar at the top there is something that looks like a light swich, and depending on if it is on or off changes if I can quote other posts, so try clicking on that.
Not sure if your problem will be the same, as on my old work computor (they recently upgraded them all) the quote feature wouldn't work at all, it also might depend on what browser you are using, if I am at home and on Chrome, it works all the time (and thats the only way I can post pictures as well).

Edit: or you can you the cheat GrumpyYoungMan posted above - thats the way I used to get round the issue at work   :)

I think the "light switch" (dis/en)ables a very complex javascript WYSIWYG editor....  so it could be very browser/PC age intolerant...  ;)

Edited by GrumpyYoungMan, 12 February 2015 - 16:18.

#3205 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,732 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 21:49

spaceballs-princess-vespa_528_poster.jpg

Can't let a spaceballs reference go without one of these :up:

#3206 kevinracefan

kevinracefan

• 154 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 13:29

must be the lightswitch...
THANX!

#3207 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,205 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 14:46

Not a question...

This night I dreamt I was in a test session and then Rosberg's car had a problem with the batteries or whatever and he inhaled some toxic fumes. Then I had a similar problem and had to leave for the bathroom to throw up. Then Bernie came in the bathroom with some germans and it seemed as if he had just closed a deal with them. On his way out, Bernie tripped and came very close to falling down and banging his head. And all I could think of was 'damn, we were that close from getting rid of him'.

#3208 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 318 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 17:27

Just so it doesn't get buried, my stupid question...:

I have a pretty stupid question: what are the benefits of an F1 rear wing being held in place by two pillars at either side, as opposed to the traditional Indycar solution of one central pillar?

I make the assumption that it provides more downforce, but I don't know for sure.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, I've always preferred the central pillar. Whenever there's a slowmo replay of an F1 car bouncing over a kerb, and the rear wing pillars are wobbling, I always think it looks rather ungainly. 

#3209 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,205 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 17:32

No idea. :p

#3210 kevinracefan

kevinracefan

• 154 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 18:03

with twin pylons, air can't escape without first giving it's total benefit..

the endplates of the single pylon wing do the same thing, but not as effectively...

#3211 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 318 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 18:19

the endplates of the single pylon wing do the same thing, but not as effectively...

Thank you. That's what I thought, but wasn't sure.

Still prefer the look of the single pylon, though...

#3212 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,947 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 00:09

I'm also thinking about the effectiveness of the monkey seat, maybe they want that airflow to be disturbed as little as possible.

#3213 RacingDuck

RacingDuck

• 59 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 22:57

What exactly did the boost button do in f1 cars from the 80's?

#3214 Rasputin

Rasputin

• 473 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 23:11

What exactly did the boost button do in f1 cars from the 80's?

Depending on the rules at the time, but until 1987, turbo- boost was  free and while the fuel limitations prevented cars to run full boost the entire race,

a "boost button" could give them an additional 200-300 Hp or so momentarily in case it was needed for an overtaking or keeping someone behind.

Those were the days.

#3215 Arry2k

Arry2k

• 373 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 13:18

Stupid question and one that's a bit late, but what is the instrumental track played on the Ferrari Horse Power documentary and in the F14-T reveal video?

I have heard this piece in adverts and other documentaries but have no idea what it's called or where it's from.

Any one able to put me out of my misery?

Any one?

https://www.youtube....h?v=8TUZN6A2lIE - from about 20 seconds in or so.

#3216 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 2,728 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:12

No idea Arry, I'd suggest trying one of those smartphone applications but the music is probably too frequently interrupted by background noise and voice-overs. Perhaps you can e-mail Ferrari - if they care enough they might forward your question to the people who made the video.

Question: With the spread of cameras the size of a thumbnail, why are the T-cams on F1 cars still so massive and bulky? Is there any other equipment in there?

#3217 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 58,111 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:07

Transmitters, probably a stabiliser, that it's inside an aerodynamic pod, etc.

#3218 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 385 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:25

Anyone know the answer to when the development tokens are classed as "used"?

Edited by GrumpyYoungMan, 17 February 2015 - 12:25.

#3219 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,618 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:40

Anyone know the answer to when the development tokens are classed as "used"?

I am presuming when an engine first passes scrutineering having applied the tokens.

Advertisement

#3220 Arry2k

Arry2k

• 373 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 13:00

No idea Arry, I'd suggest trying one of those smartphone applications but the music is probably too frequently interrupted by background noise and voice-overs. Perhaps you can e-mail Ferrari - if they care enough they might forward your question to the people who made the video.

Question: With the spread of cameras the size of a thumbnail, why are the T-cams on F1 cars still so massive and bulky? Is there any other equipment in there?

Thanks, Nonesuch. Yup, already tried your suggestion and you are right, too much background noise and oral  interjection means its cannot find a match.

Cheers anyway.

#3221 RacingDuck

RacingDuck

• 59 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 23:54

Depending on the rules at the time, but until 1987, turbo- boost was  free and while the fuel limitations prevented cars to run full boost the entire race,

a "boost button" could give them an additional 200-300 Hp or so momentarily in case it was needed for an overtaking or keeping someone behind.

Those were the days.

Thanks, was the boost regulated by the FIA at all? Or was it just use the boost too much and youll run out of fuel.

#3222 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,205 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 15:27

Who here has gone to the Canadian GP? Is there any particular grandstand which gives a better view? Right now I'm in doubt between Grandstands 11 and 12. http://www.circuitgi...grand-prix-2015

#3223 Elba

Elba

• 124 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 15:42

Who here has gone to the Canadian GP? Is there any particular grandstand which gives a better view? Right now I'm in doubt between Grandstands 11 and 12. http://www.circuitgi...grand-prix-2015

I've been to several since 1996 (sadly a year too late to see Alesi winning  :well: ) but it's always a seat at the hairpin for me 15 or 24)

#3224 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,116 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 17:53

Here's a stupid one. Been playing a lot of rFactor lately and as the minutes turn to months I've noticed a lot of cars in some of the older single-seater mods have red needles on the tachometer that I can place at a certain RPM by applying the throttle (this is in addition to the normal white needle on the tach to show the revs). So at the start of a session with both needles on the tach at 0, if I mash the throttle up to 7,000 RPM and then release the gas, the white needle falls as you would expect, but the red one stays at 7,000. If a few minutes later I throttle the engine up to 7,400 RPM, the red needle moves again. What is the purpose of the red needle? Just an easier visual reference than squinting at which number is red and which number is white so you can be sure not to over rev, or is there another reason some cars have this second tach needle? Is there some other real-life purpose that doesn't really matter in a video game?

Quick dirty screenshot:

cm8cFwy.jpg

#3225 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 324 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 19:57

It was called a TellTale. After you had parked the car, you or someone else could reach in and tap a button and it would show the max RPM since that last time it was reset. Evidently some, and the one in rFactor that you mention, is just a secondary pointer with no intent to hide the reading.

There's a scene in Days of Thunder where Tom Cruise's engine blows up. After he gets out of the car, Robert Duval checks the TellTale to determine it Cruise blow up the engine on purpose by over-revving...

#3226 alessandro2013

alessandro2013

• 28 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 21:05

I have a pretty stupid question: what are the benefits of an F1 rear wing being held in place by two pillars at either side, as opposed to the traditional Indycar solution of one central pillar?

I make the assumption that it provides more downforce, but I don't know for sure.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, I've always preferred the central pillar. Whenever there's a slowmo replay of an F1 car bouncing over a kerb, and the rear wing pillars are wobbling, I always think it looks rather ungainly. 

Seems Williams will follow your idea..https://twitter.com/...232227455844352

#3227 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 2,088 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 21:39

To house the spools and winder mechanism for the strip of clear tape that can be moved across the lens when it gets dirty.

#3228 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 547 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:32

When did F1 start using 3 pedals with manual gearbox?

When did they use their hands, off steering to shift gears? Was it semi auto back then? Look at Senna's videos..one hand on steering, one hand on the gear lever..

When did gears built on the steering come about? IIRC Ferrari 1988?

#3229 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,732 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:47

There's a scene in Days of Thunder where Tom Cruise's engine blows up. After he gets out of the car, Robert Duval checks the TellTale to determine it Cruise blow up the engine on purpose by over-revving...

Was thinking of the same example ... But I'm not sure I'm allowed to reference Days of Thunder.
At least it's not Driven.

#3230 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 746 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:34

I think what you are actually referring to is the rear wing endplates, which for most times does not support the rear wing(2014 and forward when the beam wing was banned). Reasons they are so big I believe are regulations for sponsor area(like the engine cover). Most F1 rear wings are suppoted by one ot two pillars close to the center of the car.

#3231 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 324 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:02

Days of Thunder is marginally OK, Drivel is most certainly not...

#3232 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 401 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:17

When did F1 start using 3 pedals with manual gearbox?

When did they use their hands, off steering to shift gears? Was it semi auto back then? Look at Senna's videos..one hand on steering, one hand on the gear lever..

When did gears built on the steering come about? IIRC Ferrari 1988?

I'm pretty sure cars with a manual transmission have always had 3 pedals

Ferrari was the first semi auto in 1989, won first time out then DNF'ed for most of the rest of the season.

It was about 1993 before all cars had semi auto box's

#3233 carlt

carlt

• 1,120 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 16:39

Are each team only allowed 1 car at the pre season F1 tests ?