* * * * - 5 votes

S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

• Please log in to reply
3444 replies to this topic

#3401 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 350 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 23:21

Perhaps, but they also need content for web pages and social media...

Advertisement

#3402 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 1,591 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 00:14

Is Drs deactivation now deactivated by a button instead of brakes? Was watching Lewis's pole lap and before he braked for the final chicane he hit a button to shut DRS

#3403 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 831 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:23

The driver can deactivate it by pressing the button, braking or lifting off the throttle.

#3404 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 58 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:37

Whats this 'problem' with a charity gig at McLaren I keep hearing references to? 

#3405 kapow

kapow

• 249 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 22:02

When did they stop letting the guy waving the chequered flag stand on the track?

Edited by kapow, 12 June 2015 - 22:02.

#3406 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 3,273 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 13:21

Can teams swap engines mid season. Forget contracts which would obviously thwart it, if a team wanted to would the rules allow it?

#3407 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 694 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 14:44

Can teams swap engines mid season. Forget contracts which would obviously thwart it, if a team wanted to would the rules allow it?

I can not think of any reason why that couldn't happen in theory, but they couldn't do it due to all the Resource Restrictions.... ;) <<------ But don't take that as gospel! :blush:

#3408 SR388

SR388

• 4,673 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 14:59

Outside of the simulator how do F1 drivers practice between races? Can they go turn some laps in last year's car, or maybe a gp2 car?

I figure the answer is they just use the simulator but it couldn't hurt to ask.

#3409 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 59,154 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 16:12

You could test anything you're allowed to test in. So GP2(and F3) testing is extremely limited. But if you wanted to use up an Indycar team's test allotment at COTA, go for it.

#3410 Beamer

Beamer

• 1,449 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 16:15

Outside of the simulator how do F1 drivers practice between races? Can they go turn some laps in last year's car, or maybe a gp2 car?

I figure the answer is they just use the simulator but it couldn't hurt to ask.

Ether simulator or a 2 year old f1 car. Or go Karting.

#3411 SR388

SR388

• 4,673 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 18:35

Ether simulator or a 2 year old f1 car. Or go Karting.

Do they ever tend to do this? Or is the simulator just fine? I never really hear much about a driver just going round and practicing on an old car.

#3412 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 350 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 18:43

There wouldn't be much point in using a 2 year old car. In this case it would be an NA 2.4L V-8. There would be no comparison with today's turbo V-6 hybrids.

#3413 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 692 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 19:19

Do they ever tend to do this? Or is the simulator just fine? I never really hear much about a driver just going round and practicing on an old car.

It's rare. Schumi trained in a GP2 car before his return. Silvestro drove a two year old Sauber last year.

#3414 flsp

flsp

• 140 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 22:02

When did they stop letting the guy waving the chequered flag stand on the track?

The last track to do it was Monza, way after anywhere else, until the early 2000s. I remember a commentator saying that it had already been forbidden in the FIA rule book for years. The last occasion was for a Ferrari Schumacher/Barrichello 1-2 (or the other way around?) where they buzzed the guy.

#3415 maximilian

maximilian

• 736 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 16:39

Sorry if this was possibly stupidly asked before, but I always wondered why ovals racing doesn't seem to want to use figure-8 tracks (WITH a bridge, of course) - wouldn't it be pretty interesting?

Edited by maximilian, 29 July 2015 - 16:56.

#3416 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 597 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 20:02

Sorry if this was possibly stupidly asked before, but I always wondered why ovals racing doesn't seem to want to use figure-8 tracks (WITH a bridge, of course) - wouldn't it be pretty interesting?

Oval racing has it's history and connection with scores of little oval tracks around the nation. Those little local tracks are the starting point and bedrock for all oval racing. So when it gets to the big time, you don't change the basic essence of oval racing by throwing in gimmicks. Go fast, turn left.

Just because big buck tracks can build in whatever feature they wish, you're not going to see Formula One at Silverstone have to negotiate the Sippy Hole.

DSC_0521_5420334_ver1.0_640_480.JPG

#3417 Cozzie

Cozzie

• 142 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 20:10

Here's one for you

How the fcuk are these 'changes' supposed to make for better racing? http://www.autosport...t.php/id/120150

As far as I am concerned that making turn 11 slightly more acute is hardly going to influence the quality of racing on that POS circuit

#3418 Risil

Risil

• 16,449 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 20:19

Here's one for you

How the fcuk are these 'changes' supposed to make for better racing? http://www.autosport...t.php/id/120150
As far as I am concerned that making turn 11 slightly more acute is hardly going to influence the quality of racing on that POS circuit

By the looks of the quote from the GP promoters' deputy chairman, it's the result of development in that part of the city. A bit like how the Monte Carlo layout changed after new buildings were put up at the tunnel, Rascasse and Swimming Pool.

"It's a win-win situation that the development of the new arts, culture and lifestyle precinct will provide an upgraded experience, but also potentially make for closer racing at this year's Singapore Grand Prix," said deputy chairman of Singapore GP Pte Ltd Colin Syn.

Edited by Risil, 29 July 2015 - 20:19.

#3419 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 350 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 22:32

Be thankful there is still a course. Development killed the CART race in downtown Detroit and forced the move to Belle Isle.

Advertisement

#3420 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 597 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 00:22

Here's one for you

Do you believe that the track promoters and local politicians will say "we changed the track to accommodate new construction, and it has turned that section of the track into a POS"? Of course not, this is where the spin doctors make their money, and attempt to put a silver lining on a dark cloud. Not everything stated to the press is honest.

#3421 BillBald

BillBald

• 4,388 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:36

Do you believe that the track promoters and local politicians will say "we changed the track to accommodate new construction, and it has turned that section of the track into a POS"? Of course not, this is where the spin doctors make their money, and attempt to put a silver lining on a dark cloud. Not everything stated to the press is honest.

Those guys have nothing on Sky when it comes to amazing cheek.

Recently Sky dropped one of their 2 Arts channels (obviously to save money) and announced it as an upgrade "one super Arts channel replaces the existing 2 channels".

#3422 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,519 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:20

What was the largest gap from pole sitter to second place ever in F1? And also in the past 20 years (please   ;) ) ?

Who has the most poles in a grand prix (guessing its MS at Suzuka?)

Edited by ViMaMo, 30 July 2015 - 03:23.

#3423 E.B.

E.B.

• 2,239 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:54

Ickx was about 10 seconds clear of everyone else at the Nurburgring in 1968, so that would be a good contender, but check out other races from there and places like Spa and Pescara.

Senna almost always seemed to be on pole at Imola.

#3424 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,519 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:53

Senna had 8 poles in Imola

Schumacher had 8 poles in Suzuka 

:eek:

#3425 maximilian

maximilian

• 736 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 22:17

Oval racing has it's history and connection with scores of little oval tracks around the nation. Those little local tracks are the starting point and bedrock for all oval racing. So when it gets to the big time, you don't change the basic essence of oval racing by throwing in gimmicks. Go fast, turn left.

Just because big buck tracks can build in whatever feature they wish, you're not going to see Formula One at Silverstone have to negotiate the Sippy Hole.

Small tracks could do the same.  Also, why are they always run counterclockwise, and never clockwise?

#3426 043Max

043Max

• 168 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 22:33

Max does this all the time, (heh) build a huge simulator in his home for the weeks of no F1, went karting almost after every race (mostly Genk karttrack) and in old cars driving on old Dutch tracks (demonstrations) lately to practice a bit on the new starting procedure already. So yes, some F1-kiddo's tend to to all that. ;)

#3427 LH08WDC

LH08WDC

• 588 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 23:46

Why after a race has been red flagged and then deemed to be over do they use the two lap countback rule to determine the final finishing order? Why not just use the result as they were running?

#3428 Marklar

Marklar

• 2,951 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 00:30

Why after a race has been red flagged and then deemed to be over do they use the two lap countback rule to determine the final finishing order? Why not just use the result as they were running?

From BBC after Brazil 2003

The countback rule was introduced to deal with aggregate races, where two parts of a race that had been stopped have to be added together to create the final standings.

The idea was to ensure that the standings when the first part of the race was stopped were accurately reflected.

http://news.bbc.co.u...one/2937283.stm

Furthermore back to these days they didnt had live timing and GPS like we have today, so it was reasonable that this rule was used in the past. But now it makes no sense anymore.

The only sense I see now is that they make sure that circumstances after the crash are not affecting the result, but the irony of this rule is that often the guy who caused the crash will score points.

We have now the technology to determinate the exact race positions. It is a old rule which never got changed.

Edit: You will surely ask why it was two laps and not just one?

Imagine the race leader is in lap 55 at sector 1. And the others are on lap 54 in sector 3. Going back 1 lap means to go back to the end of lap 54. Just the race winner actually finished this lap. So its better going two laps back.

Edited by Marklar, 19 August 2015 - 00:40.

#3429 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 350 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 00:57

Small tracks could do the same. Also, why are they always run counterclockwise, and never clockwise?

Early car races were on horse racing tracks. In the US, horse races were/are counterclockwise.

Max does this all the time, (heh) build a huge simulator in his home for the weeks of no F1, went karting almost after every race (mostly Genk karttrack) and in old cars driving on old Dutch tracks (demonstrations) lately to practice a bit on the new starting procedure already. So yes, some F1-kiddo's tend to to all that. ;)

You can't practice staring procedures on anything other then the actual race car with operational systems. Anything else is pointless.

In many groups that sanction oval track events, it rolls back to the last completed lap.

Edited by flatlander48, 19 August 2015 - 00:58.

#3430 Spillage

Spillage

• 1,620 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:33

The only sense I see now is that they make sure that circumstances after the crash are not affecting the result, but the irony of this rule is that often the guy who caused the crash will score points.

IIRC Jarno Trulli (I think it was him) lost the Macau GP that way. The leader hit the wall, caused a red flag, and won the race on countback.

EDIT: In fact, it was a little different to how I remember. Trulli won the race on the road, but on the last lap Ralph Firman, in second, crashed. On the countback he took the win, as the result was taken from an aggregate of two races. This article suggests the results were set to be reversed, but Wikipedia still lists Firman as the winner so I'm not sure. I also have no idea whether or not Firman's mistake was genuine, or even if he would have won on aggregate without his smash. Perhaps somebody else could enlighten me?

EDIT OF AN EDIT: Here's the video. Firman's accident is at about 47:40. Hmmmm...

Edited by Spillage, 19 August 2015 - 01:46.

#3431 Marklar

Marklar

• 2,951 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:47

IIRC Jarno Trulli (I think it was him) lost the Macau GP that way. The leader hit the wall, caused a red flag, and won the race on countback.

EDIT: In fact, it was a little different to how I remember. Trulli won the race on the road, but at the last corner Ralph Firman, in second, crashed. On the countback he took the win, as the result was taken from an aggregate of two races. This article suggests the results were set to be reversed, but Wikipedia still lists Firman as the winner so I'm not sure. I also have no idea whether or not Firman's mistake was genuine, or even if he would have won on aggregate without his smash. Perhaps somebody else could enlighten me?

Firman won the race on counterback.

He suffered before he got overtaked by Trulli a fron wing damage which was apparently also the reason for his crash later.

#3432 Spillage

Spillage

• 1,620 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:50

Firman won the race on counterback.

He suffered before he got overtaked by Trulli a fron wing damage which was apparently also the reason for his crash later.

I see, that would explain it then!

#3433 Exb

Exb

• 2,887 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:43

You can't practice starting procedures on anything other then the actual race car with operational systems. Anything else is pointless..

Which is what Toro Rosso did, they used a filming day just after Hungary which included practicing the 'manual' starts.

Edit: sorry just read the rest of the thread - I initially missed the fact this was all to do with drivers practicing, which I don't think was the main aim of the Toro Rosso filming day (the practice starts may have been but I don't think it was soley so Max could practice them ;) )

Edited by Exb, 19 August 2015 - 08:08.

#3434 043Max

043Max

• 168 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:45

You can't practice staring procedures on anything other then the actual race car with operational systems. Anything else is pointless.

Indeed, he went to Imola and the team had several filming days there, and he practiced the manual starts there a bit already. (a source: http://www.grandprix...s/display/10560 )

In an effort to get some practice in, Max Verstappen got behind the wheel of the STR10 during a filming day on Friday at the Imola circuit in Italy, with much of his focus on practice starts in the pit lane.

(Will he BLITZ the start!?? :clap: )

Edited by 043Max, 19 August 2015 - 09:46.

#3435 Exb

Exb

• 2,887 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:11

(Will he BLITZ the start!?? :clap: )

Well he should do then - seeing as he is the only driver who has had a chance to practice.  ;)

#3436 Kristian

Kristian

• 1,231 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:15

From BBC after Brazil 2003

Furthermore back to these days they didnt had live timing and GPS like we have today, so it was reasonable that this rule was used in the past. But now it makes no sense anymore.

We have now the technology to determinate the exact race positions. It is a old rule which never got changed.

Edit: You will surely ask why it was two laps and not just one?

Imagine the race leader is in lap 55 at sector 1. And the others are on lap 54 in sector 3. Going back 1 lap means to go back to the end of lap 54. Just the race winner actually finished this lap. So its better going two laps back.

Yep the strangest podium in history - the wrong man on the winner's step and the third placed driver in an ambulance. Its a rule that should be abolished. 

#3437 043Max

043Max

• 168 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:27

Well he should do then - seeing as he is the only driver who has had a chance to practice.

By my knowledge I have read somewhere that also McLaren did use some of they're filmdays to practice some of those manual starts already.

So watch out for Max and the McLarens! :clap:

#3438 ToxicEnviroment

ToxicEnviroment

• 141 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:28

Stupid or not, a question anyway :)
What is the right pronunciation of Vettel?

V like F in "Fire"

E like E in "amEn"

T like T in "Tank"

T just to stress the previous T

E - never ever pronounce that. It's silent, non existent

L like the L in "Love"

So it is FETL.

#3439 Marklar

Marklar

• 2,951 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:48

V like F in "Fire"

E like E in "amEn"

T like T in "Tank"

T just to stress the previous T

E - never ever pronounce that. It's silent, non existent

L like the L in "Love"

So it is FETL.

its more F(AE)TL

Advertisement

#3440 BillBald

BillBald

• 4,388 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:29

Short answer is that we have very stupid people running this sport.

#3441 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 1,789 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 14:26

What was the largest gap from pole sitter to second place ever in F1? And also in the past 20 years (please   ;) ) ?

Who has the most poles in a grand prix (guessing its MS at Suzuka?)

Further to EB's suggestions... Ickx was the largest I believe at 10.9 seconds at the German Gp in 1968.  Closely followed by Fangio's time at the only World championship GP at Pescara which was a gap of 10.1 sec. 

One of the largest I believe in the last 20 years was Villeneuve at the Australian GP in 1997 with 1.7 seconds back to Frentzen.

As EB suggested Senna and Schumacher both had 8 poles at Imola and Suzuka respectively.

Edited by DampMongoose, 19 August 2015 - 14:30.

#3442 Bleu

Bleu

• 896 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 16:47

I think the reason to use the countback is just like Marklar mentioned - ensuring that there are not drivers on different laps when they are actually on the same lap.

MotoGP uses also a rule that rider must return to the pit lane during certain timeframe - the rule was revised after this incident which had a big impact for championship in 2005.

Thomas Lüthi crashed and Sergio Gadea hit his bike which was left on circuit. Red flag and no restart -> Lüthi was able to retain his 2nd place in the race.

Edited by Bleu, 19 August 2015 - 16:50.

#3443 Bleu

Bleu

• 896 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 16:56

By the way due to countback rule Sergio Perez kind of retired during the last lap of Japanese GP last year. As Hamilton lapped him due to Perez making pit stop during the lap which was taken off the books due to countback.

Basically in order:

Hamilton completed lap 43

Perez completed lap 43

Hamilton completed lap 44

Hamilton completed lap 45

Perez completed lap 44

RED FLAG

#3444 DerFlugplatz

DerFlugplatz

• 10 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 21:27

This is perhaps not the easiest question to answer. But back when tobacco advertasing was allowed why did the WRC run without tobacco advertasing in for 

example countries like Australia(98 was the last year with tobacco advertasing) and Germany while F1 did in those countries.

Edited by DerFlugplatz, 23 August 2015 - 11:15.

#3445 Option1

Option1

• 14,277 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:51

https://en.wikipedia...ising#Australia

n 1992 the Tobacco Advertising Prohibition Act 1992 expressly prohibited almost all forms of tobacco advertising in Australia, including the sponsorship of sporting or other cultural events by cigarette brands. Contracts were to be honoured and so domestic sporting and cultural events were allowed to have their corporate sponsorships run their course, but they were no longer allowed to enter into new or renew existing sponsorships. Therefore, by 1998, all domestic sponsorships had expired naturally. However, the Act gave the Federal Minister for Health and Ageing the right to grant exemptions to events "of international significance" that "would be likely to result in the event not being held in Australia" should tobacco advertising be forbidden. A clause in the Act forbade events from applying for an exemption after 1 October 2000, unless they had previously been granted one. By 2006, this had led to only two events being eligible – the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix and the Australian Formula One Grand Prix. A further clause removed the Ministers right to grant any exemptions for any event held after 1 October 2006: the 2007 Australian Grand Prix therefore featured no tobacco advertising of any sort.

I assume it was something similar for Germany.

Neil