* * * * - 5 votes

S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

• Please log in to reply
3431 replies to this topic

#3401 Beamer

Beamer

• 1,432 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:32

Carlos Sainz said F1 is mental. How many things does a driver need to control these days every lap? Every few laps?

Watch this videa and focus on the hands of Nico instead of on the track. Just watch how often he dials switches or pushes buttons other than shifting gear....

Edited by Beamer, 03 June 2015 - 10:34.

Advertisement

#3402 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 519 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:44

Watch this videa and focus on the hands of Nico instead of on the track. Just watch how often he dials switches or pushes buttons other than shifting gear....

That's nothing more as playing playing a video game, so with that lap I don't see such a big problem when 8 year olds are doing it with video games actually much more.

#3403 Beamer

Beamer

• 1,432 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:50

That's nothing more as playing playing a video game, so with that lap I don't see such a big problem when 8 year olds are doing it with video games actually much more.

I'm not passing judgement on the difficultly or mental strain of having to do this. Just trying to give an answer to the question.

PS: But I do think this will be a bit more difficult while actually doing 200mph and experiencing multiple G-forces that it is while playing a videogame while sitting on your couch. 

Edited by Beamer, 03 June 2015 - 11:54.

#3404 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 519 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 13:04

I'm not passing judgement on the difficultly or mental strain of having to do this. Just trying to give an answer to the question.

PS: But I do think this will be a bit more difficult while actually doing 200mph and experiencing multiple G-forces that it is while playing a videogame while sitting on your couch. 

I was thinking about the Carlos remarks in that matter.  ;)

#3405 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,067 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 13:53

It will stop if there is a crash. Then it goes to the pits at the end of first lap.

Do you mean it completes one lap and peels off at the end of the lap?

#3406 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 675 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 13:56

Do you mean it completes one lap and peels off at the end of the lap?

Basically, that is what it does! :up:

#3407 Spillage

Spillage

• 1,519 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 15:03

Not really a motorsport-related question, but is Ufa considered to be in Europe or Asia? If the latter, Daniil Kvyat has a good chance to finally give Asia it's first World Championship race winner.

Hope any Russians on the board will forgive my ignorance of their geography!  :wave:

#3408 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 7,016 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 16:23

Not really a motorsport-related question, but is Ufa considered to be in Europe or Asia? If the latter, Daniil Kvyat has a good chance to finally give Asia it's first World Championship race winner.

Hope any Russians on the board will forgive my ignorance of their geography!  :wave:

Looking it up, it appears to be just inside Europe. The Ural mountains are the boundary between Europe and Asia and Ufa is apparently on the left!

Edited by Fastcake, 03 June 2015 - 16:23.

#3409 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,067 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 16:50

Basically, that is what it does! :up:

Strange. What if it interferes with the racing.. A driver who has had a spin, gets dropped behind and needs to pass the SC on track under racing conditions :confused:

#3410 Option1

Option1

• 14,112 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 16:07

Strange. What if it interferes with the racing.. A driver who has had a spin, gets dropped behind and needs to pass the SC on track under racing conditions :confused:

I know this runs counter to the cumulative wisdom of the internets, but colour me strange for thinking they may just possibly have thought of that possibility.  For instance, there may even be a process whereby the SC can pull off earlier if needed. 

I know, I know, weird to think they may have covered the possibility that was obvious only to those on teh interwebs.

Neil

#3411 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 412 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 16:10

I'm pretty sure this has happened before at some point when someone dropped it off the start line and had to pass the medical cars.

#3412 Bleu

Bleu

• 858 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 16:16

I'm pretty sure this has happened before at some point when someone dropped it off the start line and had to pass the medical cars.

This (from Melbourne 2010) shows at least part of that: two Virgin cars who started from the pit lane came behind the medical car and overtook it at the first and second corner, while Alonso drops behind MC following his spin. 

#3413 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 484 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:25

So I have a question with regards to fuel levels...

It goes without saying that the more fuel on board you have, the more the car weighs and therefore the slower the car is. But my question relates to weight versus the ability to push more (especially where we have one stop races/tyres). Let's say Rosberg (without the brake issues) had carried more fuel, would he have been able to attack more and push harder in his battle against Lewis? Sure he might have lost time initially but when Lewis hit lift and coast mode surely it would have brought him back into it.

I know engineers (and I assume some of you here are engineers) want the car to be as light as possible but why doesn't someone say chuck an extra 5 kgs in it and let me keep my foot down? Similar to the tyre situation in 2013 and how Fernando won the race in Spain by pushing more but also stopping more.

Edited by Ncedi, 10 June 2015 - 12:27.

#3414 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 675 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:30

It goes without saying that the more fuel on board you have, the more the car weighs and therefore the slower the car is. But my question relates to weight versus the ability to push more (especially where we have one stop races/tyres). Let's say Rosberg (without the brake issues) had carried more fuel, would he have been able to attack more and push harder in his battle against Lewis? Sure he might have lost time initially but when Lewis hit lift and coast mode surely it would have brought him back into it.

I know engineers (and I assume some of you here are engineers) want the car to be as light as possible but why doesn't someone say chuck an extra 5 kgs in it and let me keep my foot down? Similar to the tyre situation in 2013 and how Fernando won the race in Spain by pushing more but also stopping more.

I guess that is one of the calculations they put into the race simulation....

#3415 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 233 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:33

makes me wonder if, instead of a 100 kg limit, it should just be 100kg no more, no less

#3416 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 348 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:44

Each team has determined what 1 Kg means in terms of lap time. Sometimes this is mentioned on the broadcasts. I assume it would also vary from track to track. It could be that the extra 5 Kg would work out to a disadvantage over the course of a race. In other words, you might not be able to make up the early disadvantage. You also have to figure in tire wear. Heavier load means more stress on the tires and probably shorter useful life.

I remember that race were Alonso won with a different strategy, but I suspect that you might need more of a lap time difference between the prime and option tires than they usually have now, to make that work.

And yes, I am an engineer...

Edited by flatlander48, 10 June 2015 - 12:45.

#3417 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 58,679 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 13:00

And it's not just 5kg makes you slower in weight vs faster in engine, but also the increase in tire wear brake wear etc. It pushes the car closer to the point where it has to go into super-cruise mode to keep from falling apart.

#3418 kenkip

kenkip

• 501 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 22:58

Question,during driver interviews with the press,I have noticed thier press officers hold a recorder to record what their driver is saying.Is this to ensure that the driver is not misquoted?

#3419 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 348 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 23:21

Perhaps, but they also need content for web pages and social media...

Advertisement

#3420 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 1,526 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 00:14

Is Drs deactivation now deactivated by a button instead of brakes? Was watching Lewis's pole lap and before he braked for the final chicane he hit a button to shut DRS

#3421 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 829 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:23

The driver can deactivate it by pressing the button, braking or lifting off the throttle.

#3422 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 30 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:37

Whats this 'problem' with a charity gig at McLaren I keep hearing references to? 

#3423 kapow

kapow

• 233 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 22:02

When did they stop letting the guy waving the chequered flag stand on the track?

Edited by kapow, 12 June 2015 - 22:02.

#3424 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 3,205 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 13:21

Can teams swap engines mid season. Forget contracts which would obviously thwart it, if a team wanted to would the rules allow it?

#3425 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 675 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 14:44

Can teams swap engines mid season. Forget contracts which would obviously thwart it, if a team wanted to would the rules allow it?

I can not think of any reason why that couldn't happen in theory, but they couldn't do it due to all the Resource Restrictions.... ;) <<------ But don't take that as gospel! :blush:

#3426 SR388

SR388

• 4,438 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 14:59

Outside of the simulator how do F1 drivers practice between races? Can they go turn some laps in last year's car, or maybe a gp2 car?

I figure the answer is they just use the simulator but it couldn't hurt to ask.

#3427 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 58,679 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 16:12

You could test anything you're allowed to test in. So GP2(and F3) testing is extremely limited. But if you wanted to use up an Indycar team's test allotment at COTA, go for it.

#3428 Beamer

Beamer

• 1,432 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 16:15

Outside of the simulator how do F1 drivers practice between races? Can they go turn some laps in last year's car, or maybe a gp2 car?

I figure the answer is they just use the simulator but it couldn't hurt to ask.

Ether simulator or a 2 year old f1 car. Or go Karting.

#3429 SR388

SR388

• 4,438 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 18:35

Ether simulator or a 2 year old f1 car. Or go Karting.

Do they ever tend to do this? Or is the simulator just fine? I never really hear much about a driver just going round and practicing on an old car.

#3430 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 348 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 18:43

There wouldn't be much point in using a 2 year old car. In this case it would be an NA 2.4L V-8. There would be no comparison with today's turbo V-6 hybrids.

#3431 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 655 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 19:19

Do they ever tend to do this? Or is the simulator just fine? I never really hear much about a driver just going round and practicing on an old car.

It's rare. Schumi trained in a GP2 car before his return. Silvestro drove a two year old Sauber last year.

#3432 flsp

flsp

• 140 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 22:02

When did they stop letting the guy waving the chequered flag stand on the track?

The last track to do it was Monza, way after anywhere else, until the early 2000s. I remember a commentator saying that it had already been forbidden in the FIA rule book for years. The last occasion was for a Ferrari Schumacher/Barrichello 1-2 (or the other way around?) where they buzzed the guy.