Photo

Holden EH S4 1963, 1964

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,929 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:48

Here is a thread dedicated to one of the first serious GMH efforts at Motorsport in Australia.

Nomenclature: HOLDEN 179M-S4 SPECIAL SEDAN, EH/225 (S4) SEP 1963 ONLY 126 BUILT, EH 225 - Special sedan (Plus the very rare S4 Special Sedan)

FUEL TANK (S4) ... 12 GALLONS

The S4 had a few features that were later included on other models such as a brake booster and there were also rumours that Holden was working on an S22 EH but it never came about. The S4, however it may have lacked, still showed that with the new Red Motor, Holden was committed to improving their cars with performance in mind.

EH 225 - Special sedan (Plus the very rare S4 Special Sedan)

Even more potent were the 120 'S4' cars built to contest the 1963 Bathurst 500. Although several of them lost time after breaking wheels, the entry of Frank Morgan and Ralph Sach finished second outright behind the Cortina GT of Harry Firth and Bob Jane. An S4 tested by 'Wheels' magazine for its December 1963 issue reached166km/h.

S4s also contested touring car events during 1964; those consistently quickest being the entries of Brian Muir and Norm Beechey. However, the car became redundant as front-running drivers switched to V8s and EHs didn't again feature prominently on the racetrack until the emergence of an Appendix J historic category during the 1980s.

www.ehholden.com.au

http://www.ejehclubq...dex.asp?page=24

[/url]http://www.ejehclubq...dex.asp?page=24[/url]

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 03:14

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
Here is a thread dedicated to one of the first serious GMH efforts at Motorsport in Australia.

Nomenclature: HOLDEN 179M-S4 SPECIAL SEDAN, EH/225 (S4) SEP 1963 ONLY 126 BUILT, EH 225 - Special sedan (Plus the very rare S4 Special Sedan)

FUEL TANK (S4) ... 12 GALLONS

The S4 had a few features that were later included on other models such as a brake booster and there were also rumours that Holden was working on an S22 EH but it never came about. The S4, however it may have lacked, still showed that with the new Red Motor, Holden was committed to improving their cars with performance in mind.

EH 225 - Special sedan (Plus the very rare S4 Special Sedan)

Even more potent were the 120 'S4' cars built to contest the 1963 Bathurst 500. Although several of them lost time after breaking wheels, the entry of Frank Morgan and Ralph Sach finished second outright behind the Cortina GT of Harry Firth and Bob Jane. An S4 tested by 'Wheels' magazine for its December 1963 issue reached166km/h.

S4s also contested touring car events during 1964; those consistently quickest being the entries of Brian Muir and Norm Beechey. However, the car became redundant as front-running drivers switched to V8s and EHs didn't again feature prominently on the racetrack until the emergence of an Appendix J historic category during the 1980s.

www.ehholden.com.au

I suspect that the only S4s that raced in Appendix J (1964) were the Beechey and Muir cars...

All S4s were built prior to August 1963.

#3 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 03:45

Originally posted by Ray Bell

I suspect that the only S4s that raced in Appendix J (1964) were the Beechey and Muir cars...

All S4s were built prior to August 1963.

:wave: :clap: :clap:

#4 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 06:25

Stan Starcvevich's EH here in WA was always said to be an S4. But was it, I wonder. i must ask Stan next time I see him.

#5 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 06:29

And this is Stan, EH, in full cry, Caversham.

Posted Image

#6 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:31

I'm pretty sure we had an S4 in New Zealand too, though whether or not it really was I never bothered to discover.
Just how rare were they?

BTW, in NZ at least the EH was always advertised as having "more horses". We therefore concluded that EH must stand for Extra Horses :lol:

#7 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:33

I'm pretty sure we had an S4 in New Zealand too, though whether or not it really was I never bothered to discover/
Just how rare were they?

#8 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:41

Very rare

#9 Pat Clarke

Pat Clarke

• 2,013 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:31

Quote..."And this is Stan, EH, in full cry, Caversham."

Pardon me, but I have to ask.
Was Stan 'The Man' race number 11 or 111? :cool:
Guess it depends on whether the background is black or white.
A good example of why rules had to be put in place for race numbers
Regards to all
Pat

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:38

Originally posted by Terry Walker
And this is Stan, EH, in full cry, Caversham.

Posted Image

As can be plainly seen... there are no chrome strips along the side of the car... therefore it must be a Standard model. Not a Special.

All S4s were Specials. Otherwise they wouldn't have been eligible for Bathurst.

#11 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:56

Well, that's good news, Ray, because the Starcey car has been so extensively and radically modified over the years (last seen, it was a 2-door!) that if it WAS a genny S4 it would have been a serious loss.

I checked all my pics of Starcey's EH, back to its earliest appearance. No chrome strip.

#12 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:57

Oh-missed a post.

Stan was No 111. When he raced his sporty, it was named the SS111: his initials and race number.

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:04

Well, that's good news, Ray, because the Starcey car has been so extensively and radically modified over the years (last seen, it was a 2-door!) that if it WAS a genny S4 it would have been a serious loss.....

I knew that...

It raced at an Easter Bathurst, you might recall. But not in the 500.

#14 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,929 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:58

Well, that's good news, Ray, because the Starcey car has been so extensively and radically modified over the years (last seen, it was a 2-door!) that if it WAS a genny S4 it would have been a serious loss.

I checked all my pics of Starcey's EH, back to its earliest appearance. No chrome strip.

Terry....it may well have been a "genny S4"....Stan wouldn't have been the first racer to personalise his car in some way....it ain't hard to remove chrome strips. He also appears to have removed the chrome from above the windows (gutter strips).

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:19

But he didn't Mick... don't you see?

His car was always a Standard model. He didn't personalise it, he simply bought a Standard model with 179 and manual box when they came out (later in 1963). It made absolutely no difference whether a car was an S4 or a regular 179M in Appendix J or Improved Touring, the items used in the S4 that were of advantage could be fitted to the 179M for those categories anyway.

He gained the benefit of the lighter weight too...

#16 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,929 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:47

But he didn't Mick... don't you see?

His car was always a Standard model. He didn't personalise it, he simply bought a Standard model with 179 and manual box when they came out (later in 1963). It made absolutely no difference whether a car was an S4 or a regular 179M in Appendix J or Improved Touring, the items used in the S4 that were of advantage could be fitted to the 179M for those categories anyway.

He gained the benefit of the lighter weight too...

No Raymond...I don't see...in fact, I wasn't even looking!! there are none so blind :rolleyes:

Why would you think I would know all the ins and outs of a ducks guts about Stans car??

#17 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:49

Because two of us here have given you the information...

#18 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,929 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:05

Because two of us here have given you the information...

Hmmmmm the Bureau of Sadisdics might argue with you there......

I would love to hear more about the S4s from KB, Spencer Martin, Brian Muir, Reynolds, Morgan, Sachs....but mostly from the people who built the damn things :)

#19 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:34

Okay, what do you need to know?

KB is a member here, send him an e.mail or PM. But remember, he only raced one at Bathurst, where they were required to race as they came off the assembly line.

Advertisement

#20 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:35

Just remember that Group N historic touring cars ,S4 EH'S , included are fakes and look alikes and that is all cars, genuine cars are not running around race tracks to be damaged and leant on.

#21 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:15

When I was a young bloke a mate of mine had a genuine EH S4 Special (white/red) which he'd managed to secure since he had a relative at Stacks in Sydney. For some perverse reason he always preferred that I drove while he passengered as we terrorised the streets of Sydney's eastern suburbs (something I would of course frown on today...;)) But from memory, the EH could only be distinguished externally by having a bit of the bigger fuel tank hanging slightly below the bottom of the rear guard on the LHS(?). It sat about an inch lower, had a slightly faster steering box (by about 1/2 turn) and under the bonnet had a distinctive S4 stencilled on the steering box. It also had a brake-booster, slightly wider or heavier front brake drums from the ute, sintered iron lings, bigger jets in the carby, and the lower diff from the ute (was it 3.5:1?). In its day it actually went ok and we had a lot of fun it ...

#22 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 450 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:04

I recall that respected journalist Joe Kenwright wrote a detailed treatise on the EH S4 in a 2005 copy of Australian Muscle Car (don't ask me which one as I'm at work.) If you haven't seen it, its worth searching out.

Its one aspect of 60's touring car racing that Harry Firth can't argue about.... :rotfl:

#23 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:40

Originally posted by seldo
When I was a young bloke a mate of mine had a genuine EH S4 Special (white/red) which he'd managed to secure since he had a relative at Stacks in Sydney. For some perverse reason he always preferred that I drove while he passengered as we terrorised the streets of Sydney's eastern suburbs (something I would of course frown on today...;)) But from memory, the EH could only be distinguished externally by having a bit of the bigger fuel tank hanging slightly below the bottom of the rear guard on the LHS(?). It sat about an inch lower, had a slightly faster steering box (by about 1/2 turn) and under the bonnet had a distinctive S4 stencilled on the steering box. It also had a brake-booster, slightly wider or heavier front brake drums from the ute, sintered iron lings, bigger jets in the carby, and the lower diff from the ute (was it 3.5:1?). In its day it actually went ok and we had a lot of fun it ...

The steering box was standard issue EJ, as I recall. They slowed the steering down with the model change to the EH...

I thought the tank expansion was all upwards, though. And that the brake drums were the same. I feel sure that only the top of the fuel tank was changed, but maybe I'm getting confused as that's how the XU-1 was done.

The 3.55:1 diff was from the automatics, was it not? It was possibly also used in utes, but at the time all the magazine articles said it was from the auto.

It had no round speedo or tacho, did it?

#24 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:07

The steering box was standard issue EJ, as I recall. They slowed the steering down with the model change to the EH...

I thought the tank expansion was all upwards, though. And that the brake drums were the same. I feel sure that only the top of the fuel tank was changed, but maybe I'm getting confused as that's how the XU-1 was done.

The 3.55:1 diff was from the automatics, was it not? It was possibly also used in utes, but at the time all the magazine articles said it was from the auto.

It had no round speedo or tacho, did it?

It may well have had the EJ sourced steering box, but I'm sure it was a bit faster than the normal EH box and I do recall that it had S4 stencilled on the top plate of the box..
Fuel tank was definitely visible externally - it was the only point of external difference and hung down like a spare-wheel well on one side. I think it was only the front drums that were different - from the ute and they were I think a fraction wider - not that it made any significant difference - it still didn't stop.... Diff may also have been used in the autos as well as the ute and was, as you say, 3.55, but there was no difference in instrumentation.

#25 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:26

Thanks David...

Now do you think you can go to the 'Introduce yourself!' thread at the top of the page?

#26 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:40

Ermm...is that a hint Ray?;) I'm not very good at that sort of thing.

#27 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 03:35

Put your best glasses on and get stuck into it!

#28 cavvy

cavvy

• 170 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:43

Saw Paul Stubber punt an EH at the Phillip Island historics a few years back - thought it was ex Warren Matthews (TNF contributor) & the Starcevich car.

#29 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:20

The ex Starcevich car was subsequently raced by TNFer Warren Matthews, ending its career as a lightweight sports sedan, 2 doors. If you wanted an historic EH you'd be better starting from scratch.

#30 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:34

The ex Starcevich car was subsequently raced by TNFer Warren Matthews, ending its career as a lightweight sports sedan, 2 doors. If you wanted an historic EH you'd be better starting from scratch.

Agree...