Photo

917 detail question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:16

Hi, to make a long story short, I'm adding a few missing detail bits to a rather ragged looking 917K model I have hanging around...so...

Posted Image

Can anyone confirm this an outboard electrical cutout switch/lever...?

if yes, I have a few questions about it...

1) Might you know this how this switch operates - does one pull it upwards/downwards or does it swivel and lock in a on/off position...?

2) In some period photos of the 917, (particularly on the non-factory/salzburg run cars) this part does not appear - was it removed or relocated elsewhere for some reason?

Advertisement

#2 swintex

swintex

• 542 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:02

Slightly OT, but that wing mirror was not fitted in 1970. The paint design and position and design of some stickers is different too.

A couple of good pictures of the original towards the bottom of this page.

Following a link from raceannouncer2003 from this thread :D

#3 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:10

1) Looks like the metal version of the now standard red plastic (FIA) cut-off switch.

The lever is a round metal bar (1/4" roughly), bent at a right angle.

It turns through something like 90 degrees (clockwise is on).

I'm sure I've got one somewhere, but haven't found it so far.

2) Didn't some 917s have the cut-off switch on the side of the car just in front of the left hand rear wheel?

#4 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:42

This just (literally) fell on me as I walked into the garage - it clearly wants to be shared with the world.

Posted Image

#5 TheDobber

TheDobber

• 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 14:26

Regarding the 917 in the photo. It looks like the Porsche Museum in Zuffenhausen.

The car is probably chassis no 001 the original geneva show car converted to look like the 1970 Le Mans winner.

(ref. http://962.com/regis...7-001/index.htm)

Presumably the isolation switch is a 'modern' addition for demos on circuits.

According to 962.com the Le Mans '70 winner is in the ownership of Palmaz

(ref. http://962.com/regis...7-023/index.htm)

The Le Mans '70 also appeared as another clone, the ex McQueen 917-022 during the ownership of Richard Attwood now in the ownership of Seinfeld.

(ref, http://962.com/regis...7-022/index.htm and Motorsport January or February (I Think?) 1999.)

#6 cjpani

cjpani

• 2,456 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 17:23

I am pretty sure that the Museum car is NOT the original 1970 Le Mans Winner.

I'm not absolutely sure, but this image of a Wyer car (not a period correct photograph) shows a similar switch inwards of the cockpit:

Posted Image

Other images show another swith in the side of the car; which seems reasonable, to make it easily accesible for the driver and track workers....

Posted Image

Unfortunately I'm not at my home computer and don't have access to all the image library.
I´ll try to look for more images later

Regards,
Carlos

#7 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 18:22

Thankyou all so much, this has been super helpful...

This just (literally) fell on me as I walked into the garage - it clearly wants to be shared with the world.

Indeed it does! Great detail shot - Thankyou again...

#8 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 20:16

The orginal Le Mans winner is owned by Dr. Julio Palmazz of San Antonio, Texas. Supposedly he turned down a very high offer for from the factory for it. I heard $4.5M US, but I don't know the year of the offer and the conversation was several years ago and I don't want to speak out of context.