TNF's 'Worldwide BMC Owners Club'

• Please log in to reply
635 replies to this topic

#451 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,728 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:07

Originally posted by 2Bob
A bit uncalled for Ray. Even you have been known to make mistakes occasionally. One of my first postings included a picture which I took of a sideways car at Catallina. You followed up by suggesting that it wasn't my photo. You were wrong then. I think that in this case you are having a go at Lee here because you and he don't agree over some little occurrance at Bathurst some years ago. This forum is one of the few that seems to be able to refrain from nasty sniping most of the time - can't we keep it that way please.

Yes, I've done a lot along the way to bite my tongue and help keep it that way...

In the case of 'one of your first posts,' my tongue in cheek comment about you 'not being there that day' was purely because, as I explained in the next sentence, it was one of the most famous moments in the history of the S4.

I wasn't suggesting it wasn't your photo at all, and I thought you realised that. In fact, your next post thanked me for jogging your memory.

As for this subject, I guess I was a little harsh. But I've been hearing in the background lately that some long-timers here are finding that the accuracy for which TNF is famed is being put aside. I would certainly hate to see TNF become another Wikipedia.

At times I spend literally hours poring through magazines checking facts. Then I post about something to correct an issue and someone comes back and tells me I'm wrong. I don't check the facts for nothing.

Let's put the cards on the table...

The S4 Holden had a standard instrument cluster.

The red flag rules are the same for everyone.

An Austin A90 would have to be sleeved to use Ferguson pistons.

I don't want to upset you, Bob. Your pics are a marvellous addition here, but in keeping to the theme of accuracy there are times when comments made have to be corrected. I'm no the only one doing it, and indeed I also make some mistakes. When I do, I don't try to pretend I was right anyway, I accept it.

Advertisement

#452 wolseley680

wolseley680

• 74 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:38

My name is John Gray and I have been a BMC owner for 45 years, firstly with a Bugeye Sprite which I have recently sold and for the past 20 years I have owned a Wolseley 6/80 and two years ago I bought a second one, one is nice, the other needs a lot of work.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#453 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 740 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:07

Sadly, not such a happy New Year for at least one Morris Minor owner. Came across this story on another site and thought that it should be shared here. A retired Manchester draughtsman, Jack Hepworth, had his 1961 Morrris Minor stolen from his garage during the Christmas holiday peiod. I had one of my classics stolen (although they didn't get very far - possibly the choke control confused them) and I got it back again so this must be a truly awful time for him and at 85 years old he is unlikely to drive again if the car is not returned. So, if anyone out there can add anything to this sad tale of XBU 911, the contact details are on the Daily Mail article.

Daily Mail Morris Minor theft story

#454 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,019 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 21:21

One word springs to mind: "Ba****ds"

Edited by D-Type, 05 January 2013 - 21:22.

#455 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 740 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:30

One word springs to mind: "Ba****ds"

Quite. There's a growing concern of arson related theft too. Due to the fact that it's somewhat easier to break into, classic cars have been taken from driveways and streets and then set ablaze. Apparently it''s due in part to the "dare" culture amongst some groups of young offenders. I know of at least one Ford Capri locally that suffered that fate. How widespread it is I don't know but maybe one of the classic car mags could investigate running a story. The transport preservation world has had a number of serious arson incidents recently, by alleged young offenders, involving the loss of several unique buses as well as a very early Pullman carriage at the Midland Railway Centre. Anyway, I hope that there will be a happy outcome in the case of the Morris Minor.

#456 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,806 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:13

Something I do not remember seeing in Australia (maybe I just blanked them out of my mind? But maybe we just did not want them...)

Morris Marina "Estate" at Aucklands MOTAT

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#457 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,668 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:30

We never got the Marina wagon in Aus. Leyland did have a couple of samples at Zetland and I think they may have had the intention of releasing them but other things got in the way.

#458 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,706 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:50

In the early '70s, a neighbor [Bob Clarke], who was an accountant at BMC, called me over to look at the 'latest' proto-type. He was test driving the car, 'putting some miles on it'.

It was a Marina, but had a different name badge. Does anyone know what other name was was being considered? In the meantime I will keep trying to remember. :(

#459 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,806 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:56

In the early '70s, a neighbor [Bob Clarke], who was an accountant at BMC, called me over to look at the 'latest' proto-type. He was test driving the car, 'putting some miles on it'.

It was a Marina, but had a different name badge. Does anyone know what other name was was being considered? In the meantime I will keep trying to remember. :(

Boat Anchor?? :)

Advertisement

#460 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,668 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:07

It was going to be called Morris Cavalier and Morris Cavana.
They already had the badges made when Lord Stokes over ruled the Australian management.

Edited by Catalina Park, 10 March 2013 - 09:09.

#461 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,806 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:12

They already had the badges made when Lord Stokes over ruled the Australian management.

and eventually became a Cadaver.....

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 10 March 2013 - 09:12.

#462 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,668 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:16

:clap: :clap: :clap:

#463 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,706 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:28

Thanks C.P.......saved me some brain-strain. Cavana rings a bell. The badges were 'production' looking, die-cast zinc alloy and chrome plated. Bob Clarke asked my opinion on a number of items, but I remember thinking the name was a bit ordinary. 'Stokesey' was right [about the name, at least].

#464 Dipster

Dipster

• 201 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:34

I think I’ve said it before, but the ’66 Austin 1100 has to be the most fun-to-drive car I’ve ever driven, let alone owned. I gave the car to a good home around 3 or 4 years ago and had it in regular use between ’92 and ’95. I can’t believe I never took a picture of it. It had a great smell.

Best of all, the 1100 was free! I bought it as a runabout when my modern car had been driven into by a psychotic white van driver. Stupidly, I was insured 3rd party at the time and white-van ****’s insurance refused to pay out (coppers had just nicked him for parking on a zig-zag and were about 20 yards up the road when he drove into me…).

My lawyer said that we could put in a claim for £800 for the Austin (35K miles, one owner from new), but he was pessimistic that the judge would give it to us (my reasoning was that I couldn’t afford to fix the modern junk, so Austin was needed for runabout).

Upon going to court after 2+ years of proceedings, the other party’s insurance didn’t even send a representative and the judge was highly liberal in awarding damages - free Austin!

The Austin would bounce around like a kangaroo on its hydrolastic spheres – in strong side winds it could be a real handful! The massive original bakelite steering wheel… Foot-operated headlights… The car was fantastic for handbrake turns – no worries if you missed your turning! The car was kept on crossplies of course.

This thread has revived my interest in BMC cars…. You are a bad influence Mr Dent! Just when I thought I’d become sensible…

BTW, is the Gerald Palmer biography worth a read? Anyone bought a copy? A highly underappreciated designer indeed…

Justin

It's a peaceful Sunday morning and I am happily reading through his thread Although I should be painting! I'll doubtless cop it when the wife gets up.....

I was lucky enough to work for an Austin distributor (this meant the owner - who had started off as a bicycle shop owner years before - earned a percentage of every single Austin product sold by any garage in his area, lucky man!) in the late 60's. Theirs was a brilliant workshop where they still repaired rads and batteries, for example. So I got to drive pretty much every BMC/BL product made at the time.

Some were wonderul. Some were simply awful.

My favourites were, wait for it, the Vanden Plas Princess 4 litre R and the Wolseley 18/85 automatic (which had had a tiny lever to select the gear required on the right hand side of the dash). I found it was such fun to drive and it's handling (for the luxury barge it was meant to be) surprised a good few.

Those I liked much less were the JU250 van and the FJ series of trucks. Both were old designs that had been hurriedly updated - badly. Very badly......

#465 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:48

It's a peaceful Sunday morning and I am happily reading through his thread Although I should be painting! I'll doubtless cop it when the wife gets up.....

I was lucky enough to work for an Austin distributor (this meant the owner - who had started off as a bicycle shop owner years before - earned a percentage of every single Austin product sold by any garage in his area, lucky man!) in the late 60's. Theirs was a brilliant workshop where they still repaired rads and batteries, for example. So I got to drive pretty much every BMC/BL product made at the time.

Some were wonderul. Some were simply awful.

My favourites were, wait for it, the Vanden Plas Princess 4 litre R and the Wolseley 18/85 automatic (which had had a tiny lever to select the gear required on the right hand side of the dash). I found it was such fun to drive and it's handling (for the luxury barge it was meant to be) surprised a good few.

Those I liked much less were the JU250 van and the FJ series of trucks. Both were old designs that had been hurriedly updated - badly. Very badly......

I too worked for a London distributor in the 70s

The 4R, Wolseley Six, MGC & MGB GTV8 Midget, Healey 3000, Maxi 1750Hi-line A1300GT VDP 1300 Austin 3 litre all drove well and well appointed cars

Edited by RTH, 10 March 2013 - 12:50.

#466 Dipster

Dipster

• 201 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 13:03

Love that main spring leaf as a front bumper!

I do not know if this is original but many 30's and earlier cars had what were, in effect, large leaf springs as bumpers. Much better than the fall-apart-if-you-far* plastic bits fitted nowadays.

#467 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,524 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 14:02

It was Austin / Morris Day at Brooklands today, here's just one photo to whet your appetites, I'll put a few more up in a little while after lunch.

Posted Image

#468 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,019 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:26

Very nice, Gary. But those are proper Austins and Morrises - not BMC ones!  ;)

#469 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,524 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:36

LOL! True! I'll see what I can do next then...........

#470 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,524 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:40

Try some of these then :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#471 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,134 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 17:54

Did you know Leyland built seven MG Marinas?? A friend of mine has one.

#472 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,624 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 18:36

Were they anything like the UDT World Cup Rally MG V8 Marina ? :love:

#473 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,134 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 18:49

Were they anything like the UDT World Cup Rally MG V8 Marina ? :love:

No, but it was based on the 2 door coupe. GT6 style wheels, octagonal shaped gauges, red piping on the seats, and little else different from standard! They built seven test cars (I used to be on the test and evaluation panel), and it was awful. My friend though made sure he brought quite a few of the test cars, as they were very very rare, so he has a TR7 estate amongst other rarities.

#474 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,624 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 20:27

Shame about the MG Marina not cutting the mustard.

IIRC there is a green TR7 shooting brake at Gaydon with a Marinaesque fast back, there was also a TR7 Tracer by Crayford which one has your friend got Steve ?

#475 h4887

h4887

• 875 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 20:43

I wonder why that Minor Traveller has five-stud wheels?

#476 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,728 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 20:54

I've never seen that...

Could be because they were needed to rate for a higher load level. Any pics?

#477 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 21:16

I wonder why that Minor Traveller has five-stud wheels?

Because it is fitted with plastic alloy-look hubcaps that have 5 faux nuts over the top of the 4 stud steel wheels.

Edited by seldo, 10 March 2013 - 21:22.

#478 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,728 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 23:16

Oh, right... I hadn't seen the photo...

I'm having problems getting all the photos that are posted in multi-pic posts. Very obviously a plastic cover there!

#479 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,806 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:38

Post pictures please Sir (or they din't exist!) :wave:

Advertisement

#480 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,668 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:50

Posted Image

Posted Image

#481 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,806 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:59

Noooooooooooooooooooooo :rotfl:

#482 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,624 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:07

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cor Woolfies and more bumpers than a Volvo ! :love: :up:

#483 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,668 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:28

I have no idea if that is the real deal, I just found the photos with Google.

#484 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,624 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:34

I have no idea if that is the real deal, I just found the photos with Google.

Looks genuine US spec to me  ;)

#485 BRG

BRG

• 11,410 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 21:51

Posted Image

OMG (as them young folks would say) move this immediately to the Ugliest Car in the World thread. We have a new contender!!

#486 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 568 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:30

Saw this yesterday in Tufnell Park, North London

Posted Image

#487 RCH

RCH

• 791 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:34

Must have been a optimist to be out with an ice cream van yesterday!

#488 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,134 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 14:28

An LD ice cream van, eeek!

The MG Marina never made production, and I don't recall a US spec one either, the tell tale would be the gauges, other than that, it was bog standard, even to the point it did the usual Marina thing of changing lanes if you braked hard!!!

Ralph, the TR7 at Gaydon may be the same, the back end looked a little like a Volvo P100 estate, I actually liked the look of it, but the finish was appalling! There was also a coupe, which looked a little Ginetta-ish, didn't look as nice.

When I get home, I have most of the paperwork still, all sorts of bizarre stuff we tested, like a four door Metro, that had a boot instead of a tail gate.

Edited by f1steveuk, 12 March 2013 - 15:09.

#489 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 21:51

Wel gentlemen

I last posted in Feb 07, in the intervening 6 years our poor girl has deteriorated badly.... I blame kids although to be fair its moslty pure laziness and working 16 hours day...

I am however on an absolute mission to get her back upa nd running for the summer.

Posted Image

she wont need major surgery, she is still pretty solid, a few pieces of surface rust and local paint repairs, but she will need a new headgasket and cylinder head rebuild, full ignition replacement, battery, wheel refurb and tyres. she is on hdrolastic suspension so a fluid replacement is well overdue.

On the plus side, I love my wife... even more when she gets down and dirty :-)

Posted Image

Edited by green-blood, 13 March 2013 - 21:55.

#490 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,806 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:59

Wel gentlemen

I last posted in Feb 07, in the intervening 6 years our poor girl has deteriorated badly.... I blame kids although to be fair its moslty pure laziness and working 16 hours day...

I am however on an absolute mission to get her back upa nd running for the summer.

she wont need major surgery, she is still pretty solid, a few pieces of surface rust and local paint repairs, but she will need a new headgasket and cylinder head rebuild, full ignition replacement, battery, wheel refurb and tyres. she is on hdrolastic suspension so a fluid replacement is well overdue.

On the plus side, I love my wife... even more when she gets down and dirty :-)

Posted Image

she is on hydrolastic suspension so a fluid replacement is well overdue....just check the ride height, and pump it up if needs be....stop fussing :lol:

Can we see more of your wife..please? :cool: :rotfl:

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 14 March 2013 - 09:02.

#491 Dipster

Dipster

• 201 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:34

An LD ice cream van, eeek!

The MG Marina never made production, and I don't recall a US spec one either, the tell tale would be the gauges, other than that, it was bog standard, even to the point it did the usual Marina thing of changing lanes if you braked hard!!!

Ralph, the TR7 at Gaydon may be the same, the back end looked a little like a Volvo P100 estate, I actually liked the look of it, but the finish was appalling! There was also a coupe, which looked a little Ginetta-ish, didn't look as nice.

When I get home, I have most of the paperwork still, all sorts of bizarre stuff we tested, like a four door Metro, that had a boot instead of a tail gate.

LDs were probably the basis of many ambulances too! Slow and bumpy I imagine. But tough as old nails too.

#492 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,728 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:49

Any BMC cars...

You know, something to suit this thread?

#493 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,565 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 20:50

This is on display in the Thien Mu Pagoda garden in Hue city, Vietnam. The monk who self-immolated used it drive to the scene of his death.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Photos copyright Roger Lund, all rights reserved
Click on image for larger view
Roger Lund

#494 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,728 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 21:23

Good looking thing, Roger...

Was it automatic or manual?

They were shocking scenes, broadcast around the world, a very sad scenario.

#495 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,565 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 16:02

I had to be somewhat sensitive to the religious environment there, Ray. The car is regarded as being of religious relic status, and the location is that of a temple. I did think about asking if I could look to see if there was an engine still in it, as it seems to sit high on the front springs, but the curators etc were very mindful of people getting too close to the rail. Fair enough, I thought, as it is their country, their rules, their relic. The cruel oppression which was meted out to the monks, inter alia, was pretty grim, so the significance of the monk's self-immolation cannot be understated.
Roger Lund

#496 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,134 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 16:35

Any BMC cars...

You know, something to suit this thread?

Well the LD, as with the J2 and J4s were BMC, and a lot of the parts came from the same parts bins as the cars, especially steering and suspension, so it's not to far off the subject.

There was to be a UK version of what is known in south Africa as the Austin Victoria, basically an 11/1300 with a boot. I rang my old test and research chum over the weekend and other proposed cars that never quite made it were the BS, a Rover V8 engined two seater, and Rover P6 estate, a super moke, based more on the 1800 "Land Crab" than the Mini, and the Cooper Monaco, that did, much to John Cooper's disgust, become the MG Metro, and story I got stuck in the middle of!

#497 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,728 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 21:18

My post, Steve, was in reference to photos Mick posted of some TR3s or similar at a show in Canberra...

It seems he's deleted his post now. But I would be fairly sure there were BMC cars at that show.

#498 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,806 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 22:37

My post, Steve, was in reference to photos Mick posted of some TR3s or similar at a show in Canberra...

It seems he's deleted his post now. But I would be fairly sure there were BMC cars at that show.

Not only does it seem I have deleted a post, incredibly and almost unbelievably, I did actually delete a post!

I am magnanimous enough to believe that our Triumph brethern should be welcomed into the BMC inner circle by dint of their acquisition by BL who morphed from BMC anyway...but not meaning to open old wounds or (heaven forbid) create controversy.

There certainly were many fine BMC cars at the Wheels 2013 show in Canberra.....pity there wasn't some keen cub reporter there to provide material.

Please resume your normal program.

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 18 March 2013 - 22:39.

#499 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,728 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 23:52

Mick, right from the beginning of the thread this has been securely fixed to BMC cars...

The TR pics you posted were from Standard-Triumph even before they were connected with Leyland, which was years before Leyland and BMC were linked.

There were a lot of unique things that BMC cars had that Leyland cars never had... except those BMC cars that were badged as Leylands after the merger.

Advertisement

#500 Dipster

Dipster

• 201 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:31

I was following a very recently produced BMC product (my guess is that it was made within the last year or so) just yesterday. Not quite a car though...but a bus.

BMC is a company in business in Turkey. And I think there is a conection with "our" BMC too. I believe they manufactured BMC trucks from CKD kits may years ago and seem to have not given up using the initials, although they may mean something quite different in Turkish. Anybody know more or skilled enough to do a proper net search?