Photo

TNF's 'Worldwide BMC Owners Club'

• Please log in to reply
635 replies to this topic

#51 Cris

Cris

• 160 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 00:24

Ray, it's an MG TD underneath...one of 65 coupes bodied by Bertone in 1953, a year after the merger, so I would think it counts, no?

Cris

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Hey, no, you're disqualified, Cris!

Unless there's some BMC underpinnings in that Arnolt, you're outa here...

Advertisement

#52 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,726 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 00:46

Of course it counts (if Twinny allows it!)...

I knew very little about Arnolts, only that there was an Arnolt Bristol somewhere in the world. So you're in, and with the superior Nuffield suspension at the front as well!

#53 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 465 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:30

Originally posted by 2F-001
On something of a tangent... does anyone else recall the John Hipkiss Riley Elf (the 'booted Mini' type) with a Cosworth BDA that ran in up-to-1300 Special Saloons in the UK?

No, but I recall the similar 1-litre car (970S) with a grille from an MG 1100, which was called the "MG Gnat" if I remember correctly....it was even featured in C&CC magazine.
The 1300 BD engine was the BDH.

#54 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:52

Posted Image

Wally Hall's superbly constructed deseamed and restyled mini as an MG variant in 1969

#55 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 465 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:11

Originally posted by RTH
Posted Image

Wally Hall's superbly constructed deseamed and restyled mini as an MG variant in 1969

That's the one! That car inspired me to carry out de-seaming of my 1071 Cooper S for that smooth look... unfortunately, in the rain, the rear passenger area would turn into a little swimming pool and as that area was used to carry our 4-month old baby boy at the time, the missus did not approve at all. The car was swapped for a year-old 998 Clubman on Hydrolastic suspenders....sheer luxury :lol:

#56 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 13:22

Ah the days when William Morris was still in charge ! Taken in Oxford last year at a Bullnose Morris club meeting , a 1923 Cowley.

Posted Image

#57 Howard Dent

Howard Dent

• 10 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 14:45

The Four Pillars at Sandford?

#58 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 17:19

Originally posted by Howard Dent
The Four Pillars at Sandford?

Do you know I cannot remember the name of the place, but that could well be right , it had a stone walled entrance and a long drive up to it beautiful grounds like a sort of country club hotel, all pretty expensive a very nice venue the owners were staying the night as well.

#59 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 18:11

That was almost a CRAFT moment, Richard...!

Advertisement

#60 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:18

True !

Maybe this helps.

Posted Image

#61 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:07

A good place to see a lot of BMC cars is of course the Heritage Motor Centre at Gaydon just up the road from Banbury on the M40, junction 12, and just about the very centre of England.
This holds the entire BMC/BL/Rover collection of preserved vehicles and concept cars, now owned by Ford and also home to the new Aston Martin production facility as well as much else.

In fact as the Winter approaches not a bad place for a TNF all day gathering, warm dry , it takes all day for a proper look around and a good restaurant , what about it ?

Posted Image

http://www.heritage-...seum_index.html

On the 15th October a Sunday, there is a special 100 years celebration of Sir Alec Issigonis' birth and all Issigonis cars ( list below ) that attend drivers get free entry

http://www.heritage-.../issigonis.html

Posted Image

#62 roger ellis

roger ellis

• 142 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:00

What a brilliant idea !

#63 Charles Helps

Charles Helps

• 326 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:10

Nope... very fundamental thing... look harder...

Twin air cleaners (in series) for the Australian market, Ray?

My second car was a Mini, registered REE, which was appropriate as it sounds like the noise that the gearbox made. It also had those thin gauge steel wheels; I managed to pull the centres out of one on our daily commute round the bends on Bristol Downs to lectures while following a friend in his TR2.

#64 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,726 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:32

No...

Posted Image

Actually, I think you'll find that's an oil bath air cleaner over on the driver's side and the long cylindrical part is a silencer.

I'm having trouble understanding why nobody has picked this. Are there no C-series experts here?

#65 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:46

No...

Posted Image

Actually, I think you'll find that's an oil bath air cleaner over on the driver's side and the long cylindrical part is a silencer.

I'm having trouble understanding why nobody has picked this. Are there no C-series experts here?

What's so special about that? It is an oil-bath on the driver's side and a plenum on the other....but as far as I recall they were all like that....

#66 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,726 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:57

They were, David...

What I'm saying is there's something more fundamental that's different about this engine. That is the engine is different, obviously different, to the one that first graced the engine bay.

By the way, I need the overall dimensions and the wheelbase/track dimensions and the weight of the Series 1 6/90 if anyone can crack open their owner's manual.

#67 Charles Helps

Charles Helps

• 326 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:42

May I have another guess, Ray? Something to do with the manifold? I'll start with the side draught, rather than semi-downdraught, carburettors which I saw on one of TW's photos above? Perhaps that's common to all C Series engines, though.

Interesting path the fuel/air must take to get to no 1 cylinder.

#68 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,726 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:45

Yes indeedy, it is to do with the 'manifold'... but not what you're saying...

The SUs bolt straight onto the head, just as they do with the original head. Slug models, the ones with dog engines out of the C-series range (A90, A95, Isis) have downdraught carbies on a little manifold bolted to where the SUs are mounted.

#69 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 13:14

Anyone solve this one !!

http://www.heritage-...canyouhelp.html

( Add to your Wolseley collection Stuart ??? :)

Or this:-

http://www.heritage-...ry/caption.html

#70 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,882 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 13:53

One of my eccentric friends used to have a Farina MG Magnette. It was awful when he bought it, and still awful after he had restored it :

Posted Image

#71 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,726 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 13:57

I hope you don't blame the Austin Freeway tail lights...

Anything along the Farina lines is awful compared to the Gerald Palmer designed predecessor with decent suspension.

#72 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 14:19

I am the former owner of a Spriget (it was an early entry in the recycling world -- each morning I put, recycled, the oil back in which collected in the pan beneath the block each evening) and several AH 3000s of various vintages and types. These, plus an MG TF and an MGB, cured me of British vehicles forever.

I shutter each time I contemplate the Spriget, easily the worse car I have ever owned. A blight upon humanity. I honestly cannot even remember whether it was a Sprite or a Midget -- not that it mattered, of course.

The big Healeys were not, taken as a group, too bad, but not so great either. However, I did find willing folks to dump them on after we had done some tweaks. Most were maybe a notch above the Spriget, which is not saying much, but one of them was just great. Once we did a near-complete overhaul of it, that is. Can't really remember what happened to that particular one since I got rid of all of them and generally forgot about them once they were gone.

I do wish we had dropped a small block Chevy (we had a 302 we thought about using) into the good Healey since that might have been a really interesting machine. Instead, we put the effort into Z28 we rebuilt.

#73 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,726 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 14:31

Plenty did get Chevys in them, as I'm sure you know, Don...

Of course, that would exacerbate the biggest problem with the car... front shock wear and mounting bolt loosening.

I do think the Austin-Healey 4000 was a nicer car. The extra width, the additional torque combined with the lighter engine... very nice. Except that it had that heavy Salisbury rear end under it.

#74 Howard Dent

Howard Dent

• 10 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 15:12

Yes indeedy, it is to do with the 'manifold'... but not what you're saying...

The SUs bolt straight onto the head, just as they do with the original head. Slug models, the ones with dog engines out of the C-series range (A90, A95, Isis) have downdraught carbies on a little manifold bolted to where the SUs are mounted.

By inference, I guess this must be a 2912cc engine from a later Farina bodied Wolseley/Austin/Vanden Plas?

However, AFAIA there is no distinguishing difference in heads or ports between 2.6 and the first 2.9s. The Isis had a single sidedraught SU (although slightly inclined - just as the later Healey 3000s pair) on the manifold to which you refer, whereas the Austins had the downdraught Zenith - however, all Wolseley 6/90s and A99/A105s had the pair of SU carbs as pictured. This was carried over to all Farina bodied versions (which still had the 8 port head), even though the engine had grown some - I think the only part that might identify the difference is the heater water pipe which curves across the end of the head (inlet manifold); on the original engine it goes right to the end of the head before heading down towards the bottom hose. The BJ7 and 8 Healeys had a 12 port head although I'm not wholly sure whether the later Farina versions were so equipped - my parts books say not, but that doesn't prove it!

With reference to the 'twin' air filters - the oil bath air cleaner was only fitted to export models - on home market models the cylindrical part was a silencer, and that's all you got! My grey Isis saloon is an export model, and that has a larger oil bath air cleaner than the home market version - I'm surprised you did't spot that Ray ;)

#75 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,899 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 17:08

Originally posted by RTH
A good place to see a lot of BMC cars is of course the Heritage Motor Centre at Gaydon just up the road from Banbury on the M40, junction 12, and just about the very centre of England.
This holds the entire BMC/BL/Rover collection of preserved vehicles and concept cars, now owned by Ford and also home to the new Aston Martin production facility as well as much else.

In fact as the Winter approaches not a bad place for a TNF all day gathering, warm dry , it takes all day for a proper look around and a good restaurant, what about it ?

Terrific idea. Shame it's a bit far from the Adelaide Hills, but for those who may go, beware the fierce Traffic Police around Gaydon.;)

Pic taken in the grounds, Dec 2003.

Posted Image

#76 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 18:19

Originally posted by RTH

On the 15th October a Sunday, there is a special 100 years celebration of Sir Alec Issigonis' birth and all Issigonis cars ( list below ) that attend drivers get free entry

Howard and I will be there, hopefully with a full complement of Isisisisisisisis. If mine isn't fixed, and the 6/90 has its MoT then I'll take that instead!

#77 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 868 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 19:11

This is my mother in the family Morris 1100 at Southwold in 1965. We were "enjoying" one of those typically British windswept summer holidays on the East Coast, the campsite and tent looks the height of luxury.

Posted Image

The 1100 was the first brand new car my father bought, I learnt to drive in it and it had the dubious privilege of being the first car I crashed when I managed to go through the local park railings a couple of months after passing my test.

After the 1100 my father bought an Austin 1300 followed by a Princess before being forced by the awful Leyland episode to buy a succession of Fords.

My grandfather owned a series of Morris Minors in the 1950s and 60s and I follow his example by still having a 1964 Minor to this day.

David

#78 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 19:18

Referring back to Ray's C-series engine *quiz*, here - for comparison - is a pic of the engine which was formerly in the green [Belgian] 6/90 we owned briefly (ignore the rad!);

Posted Image

Posted Image

Originally posted by David Lawson

My grandfather owned a series of Morris Minors in the 1950s and 60s and I follow his example by still having a 1964 Minor to this day.

Show us a pic of your Minor then, David!

With regard to childhood 'summer' holidays, I have many recollections of being stuck in the back of the car - windows all steamed-up, rain pelting down, and not even being able to see the sea properly.

Looking back, that was probably my first exposure to clinical depression...

#79 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,726 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 20:17

Yes, you can see the difference in the engine in your comparison there, Twinny...

And it is... the later head from the 110 range, with the bulkier log manifold that you can see sticks out a bit from the side of the head. The early heads had the manifold side as a straight line up to the top, this one you can see protrudes just a little to make room for the bigger log inside it.

The owner of the car didn't even know he had it.

Advertisement

#80 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 20:21

Yes, you can see the difference in the engine in your comparison there, Twinny...

Can you...? :confused:

Howard may be able to, but I'm mechanically illiterate!

#81 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,726 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 20:33

Perhaps you need to have identified that difference in the metal to know what you're looking for...

Which, of course, implies that you know there's a difference anyway.

#82 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 20:37

Which, of course, implies that you know there's a difference anyway.

And, of course, I don't... :lol:

#83 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 868 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 20:46

Originally posted by Twin Window
Show us a pic of your Minor then, David!

Here she is.

Posted Image

The picture is very flattering as she's a bit of a rusty and running vehicle but she's 100% reliable and a pleasure to drive.

David

#84 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 21:09

It looks like a minter!

But I do know what you mean about flattering photos.

#85 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,801 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:39

What this thread needs is more wood :kiss: .....don't let the QLD plates fool you, it lives within a kilometre of me in Canberra :wave: "Wheels 2002 - the ACT Motor Clubs annual charity car display"

Posted Image

#86 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,899 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:25

Lovely car and lovely colour but, Morris experts, is that a BMC green? It's certainly not the Almond Green I recall Morris Motors so loved back then.

Perhaps it was a green peculiar to BMC Australia.

Love the neat repair to the frame, btw...

#87 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,801 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:51

Originally posted by Vanwall
Lovely car and lovely colour but, Morris experts, is that a BMC green? It's certainly not the Almond Green I recall Morris Motors so loved back then.

Perhaps it was a green peculiar to BMC Australia.

Well..now that you point it out..tis...the colour is a General Motors Holden (Commodore) colour "Sherbrooke Green".

#88 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,838 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:37

The drawer handle on the nearside rear door is a rather unusual mod .... :lol:

Never actually owned a BMC car myself although I travelled many a mile in my father's 1952 Oxford, which he replaced with a 1959 one (first car I ever drove and which had the luxury of a heater!) and then a 1967 Wolseley 16/60. After that, he bought a Marina, but do we count that as BMC or BL?

I have pics of the two Oxfords, but they're all on slides, which I have no means of scanning :

#89 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,801 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:49

Originally posted by Vitesse2

The drawer handle on the nearside rear door is a rather unusual mod .... :lol: But practical...yeah?

I have pics of the two Oxfords, but they're all on slides, which I have no means of scanning :

Well find someone with a flat bed or go to your nearest photo shop and get it done!! :wave:

#90 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,899 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:56

Originally posted by Vitesse2

The drawer handle on the nearside rear door is a rather unusual mod .... :lol:

Yes noticed that too, but there again, there are the wide wheels, the chrome trim rings and exhaust pipe, the wrong position of the reflectors but this isn't a concours...

That said, there are the plastic exterior mirrors. :

#91 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,726 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:00

If that Chev wasn't in the pic I'd say it was the Battle of Waterloo...

275 can explain that.

#92 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,483 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:05

Hi All

Looks like I might qualify for membership of the TNF BMC Owners Club...holds breath whilst attempting to put pictures on...;) ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rob :clap: :clap:

#93 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:16

That seems really solid, Rob! Is there any rot?! The bonnet's a bit suspect, perhaps... Show us what it looks like after a clean-up.

The tree growing in the shed is great! :up:

#94 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,668 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:28

If that Chev wasn't in the pic I'd say it was the Battle of Waterloo...

Sounds much better than the Battle of Zetland. :cool:

#95 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:49

Originally posted by Catalina Park
Sounds much better than the Battle of Zetland. :cool:

:lol: I'm afraid that probably doesn't mean much to most of our Northern Hem members.....;) Zetland was the site of the now long-gone Sydney BMC factory...:)

#96 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,483 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:05

Gotcha Twinny!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

They were the 'Befores' back in December 2004. I had him (known as Gof for obvious reasons) taken away for a facelift and more back in December 2004. He came back in April 2005 looking like this:

Posted Image
Posted Image

I spent far, far more than he is worth on the market, but I'd had him since 1992, and wanted to keep him going, as well stopping the DVLA getting hold of the number plate.

When I bought him he was in good nick, but I had neglected him during some hard times, and the garage too.

He now looks pretty good, and goes to the odd show. 'My Dad used to have one' is the most frequent response, as indeed did mine - which is where I developed my affection for A40s. Curiously, like many old cars, he still smells like new inside!

For the technically anoracked, he is an early Mark 2 with the 948cc engine, and Cumulus Grey/Snowberry White. 45,000 miles from new!

Rob
:up: :up:

#97 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,801 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 13:14

Originally posted by Kingsleyrob
Hi All

Looks like I might qualify for membership of the TNF BMC Owners Club...holds breath whilst attempting to put pictures on...;) ;)

Rob :clap: :clap:

Outstanding machine :cool:

#98 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,801 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 13:17

Yes noticed that too, but there again, there are the wide wheels, the chrome trim rings and exhaust pipe, the wrong position of the reflectors but this isn't a concours...

That said, there are the plastic exterior mirrors. :

I do apologise....I obviously missed the silent "must be original and to Concourse de Elegance Standard" in "TNF's 'Worldwide BMC Owners Club'" :confused:

#99 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,483 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 13:31

Thanks "Pete"

Think I get the drift re your concours comments...;) ;)

My A40 is certainly not concours - photos can be flattering!

Sometimes it's amusing to see the really serious individuals at the shows, polishing vigorously and removing blades of grass from their tyres. But they are the ones that head home with the trophies.

I just head home with a smile on my face having taken a few people back in time and had some kind comments. :) :)

Each to his own, and respect due to all I guess.

Rob

Advertisement

#100 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 16:09

GOF is a typical reg no. for cars first reg by the factory have you delved back in to the complete ownership history of the car ?
I think these days for a fee to the DVLA you can get copies of the reg docs back to new.