The Ford T champ cars

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brickyard

brickyard

• 612 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 18:26

Hi,

I'm curious about a 1920's "Champ Car" based on the Ford T: the "Fronty-Ford/Ford T" car.

What's the story behind those cars, how many were made and who was the guy responsible for that adventure, etc.

Any infos would be great.

Thanks

Advertisement

#2 brickyard

brickyard

• 612 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 19:17

:blush:

Geee...
only a couple of minutes ago, a friend phone me "I don't believe you don't know wat Fronty means! Don't you ever heard of FRONTENAC? Shame on You..."

OK, I deserve it... almost.

Those cars were specials built with reworked Monroe-Frontenac engines on chassis Ford T.

But I bet there's a story behind it that I don't know (And my friend doesn't either, He, He, :p )

#3 Don Radbruch

Don Radbruch

• 74 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 16:34

Although the name Fronty (Ford) does come from Frontenac they are totally different things. The Frontenac engines were special built racing engines while Fronty Fords were Model T based.

There were several Ford T based "champ cars" that ran at Indy in the early to mid-1920s. They looked like dirt track cars but so did many of the Indy cars of that era. The most sucessful was the Fronty T driven by LL Corum to a fifth place finish in 1923.

There was a superchared Model T two man car that must have been built for Indy in about 1930. I have photos of this car but have never really figured out much about it. The supercharger was run off of the front of the crankshaft