Best and worst racing movies

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#51 FredF1

FredF1

• 1,940 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:10

Originally posted by Derek Pitt
I saw a film at the cinema in 1959..it was American and was called "Devils Hairpin" or "The Devils Hairpin" and was prolly made circa 1958.

I cant remember who was in it or what the storyline was.....although the title probably gives a fair idea.

What I do remember, however, was that there was loads of footage of a short nose production D Type Jaguar in BRG I think, and a production Aston Martin DB3S....

Anybody remember this film?

Derek

From IMDb

Advertisement

#52 doublefourvalve

doublefourvalve

• 14 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:02

Remembered another one, from the recent years. Maybe it doesn't say much to our american fellows: "Michel Vaillant". A weak movie with weak racing scenes. It doesn't do any justice to the comics hero of times gone by.
Curiously enough, the production (like McQueens "Le Mans") also entered cars in the real 24h of Le Mans, in order to mix in images of real racing: a Lola entered as a "Vaillant" and a Panoz as a "Leader", their eternal enemies.
There is also a japanese ...thing... in which the action happens among Japanese Touring Car races, with that most famous actor Charlie Chan (?... can't remember correcty). Racing scenes are a laugh, with Supras, Skylines and Starions all over the place - there are some shots of real racing but the film seems to be played in "fast forward" in those scenes.
Still, no one has commented on "Winning" w Newman...

#53 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,645 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:28

Originally posted by cheapracer

:up: Absolutely have to second this movie is "bloody good", an unknown NZ gem that all race fans should get their hands on.

KzKiwi didn't mention the reasonable car chase as well with a full blown Sports Sedan having to visably back off a lot while chasing a hot Monaro (if i rememebr correctly) through some NZ mountains.

Sharon O'Niell can sing? Funny, the more hot they are to look at the less you notice the voice ;)

Any film thats got an RT1 and a B48 in it has got to be worth a look!

#54 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,119 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:45

I'll comment on "Winning", in that I was able to spend the better part of a September day in 1968 watching film footage being shot at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I'm fairly confident of the time frame, for my Dad, Mom, Brother & I would go to the Speedway for the Classic Car Club of America show in July and a huge "swap meet" for auto parts & memorabilia in Sept. every year along with the race activities in May. We pulled into the parking lot of the old Museum (SW corner) to see if anything new had been added. As we got out of the car, we heard race cars! I was off like a shot, straight line (across the grass) to the nearest Turn 1 grandstand my brother close in tow. We got reprimanded for the grass cutting by track officials and our parents. The stands were closed to the public, but that was alright for we were going to be inside all day and they couldn't keep us from seeing the action from that wide expanse. Our event was down in the turn three area. Bruce & I quickly told the parents that we were going to head down to the garages to see what we could. We were able to get within eyeshot of the happenings and that was alright by us. The highlight was us climbing the stairs to the old tower to tug on the door about 4) flights up, as we always would, this time though, the door was unlocked! We cautiously made our way through floor by floor, no one in sight. We got to experience a view that we'd only dreamed about. As we made our way to the top floor, we heard activity from the roof. A film crew was up there filming the on track activities. Amazingly, they invited us up to watch from their vantage point and explain, to a couple of geeky kids (10 & 13), what they were doing and how it would be utilized in the film. We couldn't wait to see the final product in our local theatre. It has some good actual footage, I've never really cared for the plot, but it will always have a warm place in my heart for the personal memories of a great day with my family all those years ago.

Brian

#55 Rosemayer

Rosemayer

• 1,253 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 18:15

In the movie Viva Las Vegas Elvis raced some kind of Can-Am car.Any clues?

#56 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,397 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:10

Originally posted by Rosemayer
In the movie Viva Las Vegas Elvis raced some kind of Can-Am car.Any clues?

Not a Can Am car by any stretch. It was an Elva Mk. VI
Tom

#57 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:20

Originally posted by snettertonesses

As for Le Mans, my personal favorite by a hair over Grand Prix. I am surprised to read the quote that LE MANS came out just as McQueen intended. I've read that the money men came in late and took control of the movie, steering it in another direction - hence the involvement with Mrs. Baghetti.

There is some "human interest" in "Le Mans", although not the of the cliched, straightforward type expected in most movies. Many of the cliches in racing movies were probably invented by "Le Mans", both in terms of storylines and visuals. I think it struck a balance between conveying the nuances of racing, and appealing to the mainstream with some universally recognisable subject matter.

#58 JimInSoCalif

JimInSoCalif

• 51 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:51

Originally posted by RA Historian
Tom

I am surprised he would fit in one. I had to have one frame tube cut out of mine that was in the way of my right leg.

The Big Wheel was mentioned above, but it should be noted that it had some scenes from Indy.

To Please A Lady is another racing movie. It has been so long since I have seen either that I can't make any further comments.

As to car chase scenes, decades passed before I saw one I thought equal or better that Bullit or The French Connection. Most are very lame. I thought Ronin was the best I have seen and the remake of The Italian Job was fun too. Both were mentioned above.

Cheers, Jim.

#59 Roland44

Roland44

• 10 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:51

Overlooked in the car chase list is the one from William Friedkin's "To Live & Die In L.A." I always thought it was a pretty decent film as is , but the car chase was particularly inspired, ending up on the Long Beach Freeway at rush hour....going the wrong way....head on into a jack-knifing semi. :eek: It was a rush seeing it on the big screen when it came out! Friedkin, of course, also directed " The French Connection."

Dave

Advertisement

#60 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,254 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 13:14

Tom

Was that the movie where the gas pedal seemingly had 12-inch "throw"? :lol:

#61 Keir

Keir

• 5,213 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 13:48

In terms of racing, "Bobby Deerfield" is certainly not a racing movie but a movie with a racing backdrop.

Pacino is outstanding in the character. At the time Al didn't even have a driver's license !!

#62 rateus

rateus

• 203 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 14:26

Originally posted by doublefourvalve
There is also a japanese ...thing... in which the action happens among Japanese Touring Car races, with that most famous actor Charlie Chan (?... can't remember correcty). Racing scenes are a laugh, with Supras, Skylines and Starions all over the place - there are some shots of real racing but the film seems to be played in "fast forward" in those scenes.

That'll be kung fu legend Jackie Chan's film 'Thunderbolt'.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114126/

It's fair to say accuracy wasn't a strong point - the racing scenes are indeed shot in super-fast-forward and there's more mayhem than you'll see at a standard demolition derby :lol: Apparently, even though the race is set in Japan the racing footage was filmed in Malaysia owing to some contractural dispute. Not one of Chan's better films, and I say that as a big fan... :|

#63 TrackDog

TrackDog

• 335 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 14:28

I remember a movie "Corky" with Robert Blake that must've been released in the mid '70's that had the typical plotline of a struggling young racer trying to get a good ride...trouble was, he wasn't really as good as he thought he was, and his obsession with speed ultimately led to his downfall and subsequent committment to a mental hospital.

He drove a green late-sixties Plymouth Barracuda fastback that had a Superbird-type rear wing and some other custom touches.

After reading an article about Lee Roy Yarbrough in Car and Driver a few months ago, I wonder if there might have been at least a certain amount of his life story baked into the plot...there certainly were similarities.

Dan

#64 Spaceframe

Spaceframe

• 214 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 14:35

Originally posted by William Dale Jr
I'll be damned if I can remember where I read it, but I
know I read something about John Frankenheimer planning
another racing movie in the '80s. This time, it was about
Group C Sportscar racing and probably Le Mans, but I'm not
sure about that. The lead car was to be a Porsche 956 :)
Unfortunately, the movie never made it into production.

I seem to recall reading about that one in Grand Prix International in the early 1980s - most likely their 1982 Le Mans special edition.

#65 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,673 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 14:49

I saw "Winning" with Paul Newman many years ago (on TV), and I remember enjoying it.
But, be warned, I quite enjoyed "Driven" by Stallone, too....

OK, not a masterpiece but....so maybe I'm a bit too gentle.

Anyway, gentleness or not, I simply *loathed* "Days of Thunder" with Cruise.
I found the notion of an ex Indy driver not knowing anything about understeer, setup and tyres ( so good old Boss can teach him....) especially "entertaining".

Speaking of Stock Cars, "Talladega Nights" was quite a funny movie. Of course no realism whatsover.... but a funny movie, well acted and directed.

#66 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,044 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:45

Another late 60's NASCAR-based film featuring Annette Funicello without Frankie Avalon:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#67 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,233 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 13:25

One of the worst or The Worst movie (in my opinion):

"Amore Formula 2" by Mario Amendola, Italy 1970.
With "Mal" (Paul Bradley ?) a British pop-singer who worked in Italy and, as an actor............................................................... Giacomo Agostini :eek: :eek: :eek: in person!!!

Ridiculous.

:lol:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065395/

#68 Macca

Macca

• 3,298 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 20:33

Originally posted by Nanni Dietrich
One of the worst or The Worst movie (in my opinion):

"Amore Formula 2" by Mario Amendola, Italy 1970.
With "Mal" (Paul Bradley ?) a British pop-singer who worked in Italy and, as an actor............................................................... Giacomo Agostini :eek: :eek: :eek: in person!!!

Ridiculous.

:lol:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065395/

I've found some theatre posters of it:

Posted Image

but I've never seen it, or "Pista di Fuoco" from 1969.

Paul M

#69 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 981 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 21:32

Friends:

About 10 years ago, the Mercedes-Benz Club of America held its annual convention in Phoenix, and at the final dinner, who should be sitting nearby but John Frankenheimer! Only a few people in the room realized who he was, so he was't introduced, but he told us he still enjoyed driving his souped-up 450SEL 6.9.

Frank

#70 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 981 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 16:59

Friends:

Just watched a movie I'd never heard of, "Blonde Comet" from 1941, starring Virginia Vale, Robert Kent, and --ta-da--Barney Oldfield playing himself. It's the story of a woman driver who makes good in Europe (decent scenes from Tripoli, Monaco, and Donington) then goes to California to run at Ascot and Oakland, then on to the Indianapolis 500. Not exactly the usual progression, but the dirt track footage is good, not all "speeded-up" and phony. And how often have you seen Barney Oldfield in a talkie?

The Ascot footage shows a four-section steel truss bridge in the background, so maybe some of you can verify that location. Unfortunately, the Indianapolis footage includes several bad accidents. All in black and white, of course. I got it on DVD from Netflix.

Frank

#71 Black Star

Black Star

• 24 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 19:44

Can Someone shed some more light on the TV series that was mantioned here by me, amongst others.

Thanks in advance,
Yigal.

#72 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,051 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 19:59

Originally posted by fbarrett

The Ascot footage shows a four-section steel truss bridge in the background, so maybe some of you can verify that location. Unfortunately, the Indianapolis footage includes several bad accidents. All in black and white, of course. I got it on DVD from Netflix.

Frank, my brother remembered seeing "The Blonde Comet" on local television many years ago and about a year ago, he picked up a several DVD collection of racing and car movies at Big Lots!. A lot of cheesy films, but with a lot of great footage...like that in "The Blonde Comet".

Interesting you mention the bridge as this came up a couple of days ago on another forum. It's Southern Speedway (a.k.a. Southern Ascot) in South Gate. The distinguishing feature of the track was the railroad bridge you describe - traversing the Los Angeles River - beyond the backstraight entering turn 3.

EDIT: here is the collection, 20 films. Not many racing, more car and even trucking, but the footage made it worthwhile:

http://www.atomicmal...ew.php?id=89255

I believe it's "Ten Laps To Go" that features footage from Victor McLaglen Stadium (!). An early, short lived Midget track in Los Angeles near Griffith Park that I had not seen so much as a still photo from.

#73 Macca

Macca

• 3,298 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 20:15

Originally posted by Black Star
Can Someone shed some more light on the TV series that was mantioned here by me, amongst others.

Thanks in advance,
Yigal.

From this site:
http://www.pulpandda...ovies/f2_b.html

"FORMULA 1 (TV Series)
(1993) * 1/2 Serge Dupire, Manu Gelin, Daniel Gelin, Denis Savignat, Raymond Legault, Barbara Cupisti, others.....Nighttime soap set in the world of autoracing.
Weak 'He Shoots, He Scores'-styled soap opera suffered from the usual, and most obvious, problem a soap can suffer from: characters that weren't especially interesting or engendering of sympathy. And the auto racing industry isn't the most dramatic of milieus. The series was so little heralded when it aired dubbed-into-English, it's not clear whether it was much of a success in Quebec to begin with. Hour-long episodes first shown (in English) on Global, then re-run on Showcase. - brief female nudity.-"

All I can find.......

Paul M

#74 Flat Black

Flat Black

• 480 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 20:17

Anybody seen To Please a Lady, a film from 1950 starring Clark Gable and Barbara Stanwyck? I haven't, but it sounds interesting. Here's a plot summary I found:

"Arrogant Mike Brannan (Clark Gable) is a famous driver of midget race cars and is the type of man crowds love to hate. He earned his bad-boy image after he is blamed for causing a fatal crash during a race. Wanting to see if all the hoopla is true, tough columnist Regina Forbes (Barbara Stanwyck) tries to interview him, but Mike refuses. Later she watches as he is involved in another deadly crash. Believing he deliberately caused the accident, she rakes him over the coals in her column and this leads to his disbarment from the racing circuit. In order to make ends meet, the disgraced Mike begins driving in a stunt show. Eventually, he earns enough money to allow him to buy a full-sized race car. The film's exciting finale was shot at the Indianapolis Speedway."

Almost sounds like a prophecy of Ed Elisian.

#75 Gil Bouffard

Gil Bouffard

• 597 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 22:38

My Gawd! I started this thread 8 years ago!

A lot of interesting comments. The recent death of Paul Newman, who spent a large portion of his life after the filming of WINNING as an entrant, car owner and racing driver of some repute, caused me to revisit the thread. Haven't seen too much on the racing movie scene since CARS, however I can report that Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca is the first race track in the world to have been recorded by Google Earth or whatever they call it.

They did their magic during the ALMS race. I saw them go by in the paddock when I had crawled out of the spacious media center for a meander through the paddock. I was chatting with my friend Bill Patterson, official artist of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. The camera thing-a-majig came by as Bill and I were standing with a pair of scantily clad Mazda Girls!

An aside: When I was traveling with my Russian racing driver Sergey Shleikin in Europe, he noticed that I always engaged myself in chatting up attractive women. Finally, one day, he said to me. "Why is it that every time I see you, you are talking to pretty girls?"
I looked at him and said. "You're ugly and you're a guy!"

Gil

#76 ggnagy

ggnagy

• 261 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:59

I have seen the Cannonball series mentioned, but nothing about the much earlier Gumball Rally? Didn't have the star power or the stunts, but it did have a Cobra/Ferrari war of sorts, the rolling pit stop, and a really great and memorable quote "And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving. >yank< Whatsa behind me, is not important"

#77 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 981 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 17:37

Friends:

Here's another oldie: "The Fast and the Furious." No, not the recent piece of garbage; this is a b&w film from 1954, starring John Ireland, Dorothy Malone, and an XK-120 Roadster. The plot revolves around the old Pebble Beach sports car races, populated by plenty of other XK-120s, a Nash-Healey, a Jowett Jupiter, and a passel of Allards. Other unusual cars spotted include a Porsche 550 (must have been a very early one), a Porsche America Roadster, and possibly a brief glimpse of Ken Miles' Flying Shingle. The movie was produced by Roger Corman, who went on to greater fame making horror films. Most of the racing is staged, with plenty of speeded-up action, but it's worth a look and available via Netflix.

Frank

#78 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 488 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 17:39

Does anyone remember a UK TV drama series based around a rally team? Some time in the late 80s. There was a Metro 6R4 featured in it, but I can't remember much more about it. I seem to remember there was too much soap and not enough rallying. The series just fizzled out - lack of viewers, probably.

#79 TrackDog

TrackDog

• 335 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 18:13

Originally posted by fbarrett
Friends:

Here's another oldie: "The Fast and the Furious." No, not the recent piece of garbage; this is a b&w film from 1954, starring John Ireland, Dorothy Malone, and an XK-120 Roadster. The plot revolves around the old Pebble Beach sports car races, populated by plenty of other XK-120s, a Nash-Healey, a Jowett Jupiter, and a passel of Allards. Other unusual cars spotted include a Porsche 550 (must have been a very early one), a Porsche America Roadster, and possibly a brief glimpse of Ken Miles' Flying Shingle. The movie was produced by Roger Corman, who went on to greater fame making horror films. Most of the racing is staged, with plenty of speeded-up action, but it's worth a look and available via Netflix.

Frank

This movie is available on DVD ...I picked one up a couple of years ago at my local Wal-Mart in the dollar bin. Definitely worth a look.

Dan

Advertisement

#80 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,051 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 21:52

Again, "The Fast & The Furious" is one of the 20 movies on the "Burnt Rubber" DVD collection, as are "The Big Wheel", "The Blonde Comet", "The Petty Story", "Burn 'Em Up Barnes" and four other "racing" films. The rest are car (or trucking) movies.

It's worth checking out your local outlet type stores as it's quite cheap. My brother found it at a Big Lots! store. Check for the equivalent in your area (like Pic N' Save).

#81 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,157 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 23:15

Originally posted by Glengavel
Does anyone remember a UK TV drama series based around a rally team? Some time in the late 80s. There was a Metro 6R4 featured in it, but I can't remember much more about it. I seem to remember there was too much soap and not enough rallying. The series just fizzled out - lack of viewers, probably.

Just been discussed on another forum (now I'll have to find which...). Hero in the prototype 6R4, the mandatory bad guy in an Ascona 400 (which had become an ordinary Ascona "B" with a body kit when it rolled off the road). Filmed partly at some UK National rallies.

#82 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 14:49

Days of Thunder is at this moment showing in Western Australia as a late late movie (it's now 11:45 pm and it just started). So far it's living down to its reputation, having already hit the improbability barrier at Warp 9.

The plot reminds me of a previous Cruise vehicle, but with jet planes. What was it? Top Gun? Right down to arriving on the scene on a motorbike.

Even less realistic than Red Line 7000, a James Caan flick I saw with a bunch or motorsport buddies in the late 60s, and we hooted with laughter through it.

#83 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 488 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 16:02

Originally posted by Terry Walker
Days of Thunder is at this moment showing in Western Australia as a late late movie (it's now 11:45 pm and it just started). So far it's living down to its reputation, having already hit the improbability barrier at Warp 9.

The plot reminds me of a previous Cruise vehicle, but with jet planes. What was it? Top Gun? Right down to arriving on the scene on a motorbike.

Comedian Rich Hall does a routine about how every Tom Cruise film has the same plot - you can see it here...

http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=Yt2qt0sATz8

from about 3:45 onward.

#84 BDM977B

BDM977B

• 48 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 22:02

Just wanted to put a vote in for 'Grand Prix'. First for all the reasons well known.
But secondly because there is a High Definition totally remastered version of it, with Dolby 5.1 sound, restored colour etc. Unfortunately it's not so far been made available, as far as I can tell, on BluRay, but only on the now defunct HD DVD. I fortunately have an HDDVD player, and it looks really wonderful. The track footage remains brilliant, but now with high definition and surround sound, the spectacle is even more impressive.
And not a yard of Armco in sight.

#85 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,397 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 22:12

Originally posted by BDM977B
Just wanted to put a vote in for 'Grand Prix'.

As the best or the worst? :lol:
Tom

#86 BDM977B

BDM977B

• 48 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 22:15

As the best or the worst? :lol:
Tom

Guess :love:

(The plot is of course immaterial)

#87 TrackDog

TrackDog

• 335 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:52

Originally posted by TrackDog
What about that Fabian movie where he played "Jojo Quillico"?

Dan

Went to imdb.com and found some info on the film, some of it interesting...the title is THE WILD RACERS; it was released in 1968; it has a 2.2 star rating[out of a possible 10] at the site.

The most interesting thing about the movie is that AFAIKT, it marks the debut of Talia Shire, of ROCKY and GODFATHER fame[she plays the FIRST GIRLFRIEND in the movie].

The tagline reads, "From Stock Car to Grand Prix...show him a curve and he'll take it...on two wheels or with a kiss!"...sort of a Juan Pablo Montoya in reverse...

IIRC, the Formula 1 cars used in the movie were undisguised Formula 3's, and the opening sequence was from the 1966 Daytona 500 featuring David Pearson's #6 Dodge Charger...didn't an Elvis racing flick use the same footage?

Dan

#88 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:29

Glengavel,
I recall the series but not the title. The villain of the peice, according to Mrs.Wily was Nicky Henson.

#89 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,397 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 14:25

Originally posted by BDM977B
(The plot is of course immaterial)

You are right! As I have stated before on a thread or two, the racing scenes in Grand Prix are simply outstanding, the best ever in any movie. But the other half, the plot, is simply insipid. Hence, arguments can easily be made for either side!
Tom

#90 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 488 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 16:14

Originally posted by Wilyman
Glengavel,
I recall the series but not the title. The villain of the peice, according to Mrs.Wily was Nicky Henson.

Ah-ha! Armed with that information, a quick trip to IMDB reveals that the title was..."Driving Ambition"! Which still doesn't ring any bells. It must have been truly forgettable.

#91 BDM977B

BDM977B

• 48 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 16:20

You are right! As I have stated before on a thread or two, the racing scenes in Grand Prix are simply outstanding, the best ever in any movie.

I vaguely remember at the time from Autosport reports that they did get tremendous cooperation from the teams and organisers, probably lots of money changed hands. This is borne out in the documentary that's on the HDDVD, and also I assume on the dual disk standard DVD. Phil Hill in the GT40 camera car with the enormous Panavision Super 70 camera on its nose for example. On the circuit during the race at Spa. He and Dan Gurney describe how DG slowed so much in the rain that the GT40 passed him!

#92 Macca

Macca

• 3,298 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 16:33

It wasn't actually the GT40 he was in, but a single-seat McLaren Formula Libre car, painted as a 'Yamura'; he also lapped Monaco during official practise in a Lotus 25 which produced the great sequence where he's following Bandini in a real Ferrari 312.

Phil's car can just be seen at the rear of the pack here; the other white car is Bondurant's BRM:

Posted Image

Paul M

#93 BDM977B

BDM977B

• 48 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 17:17

Originally posted by Macca
It wasn't actually the GT40 he was in, but a single-seat McLaren Formula Libre car, painted as a 'Yamura'; he also lapped Monaco during official practise in a Lotus 25 which produced the great sequence where he's following Bandini in a real Ferrari 312.

Phil's car can just be seen at the rear of the pack here; the other white car is Bondurant's BRM:

Paul M

Ah, I'd forgotten the GT40 wasn't the only camera car, though there are shots of the others in the documentary. Thanks!

#94 Macca

Macca

• 3,298 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:32

The opening of the reputedly awful 1970 Italian film with cameos or whatever from Graham Hill and Giacomo Agostini (shot during '69) can be found here:
http://uk.youtube.co...feature=related

and some stills of cars featured here:
http://www.imcdb.org...Grand-Prix.html

Paul M

edit: and a list in Italian of racing films, but not mentioning 'The Green Helmet' or 'Checkpoint' :
http://www.modelfoxb...it/Cineteca.htm

#95 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,387 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:07

Midnight Spares, an 80s? Aussie low buck movie about sprintcars and stolen car gang. Cannot remember the plot [what there was of it] but it was pretty bad though from memory had some half decent Parramatta footage and most of the competitors got there name in the credits inc Garry Rush

#96 Macca

Macca

• 3,298 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 14:34

Just a heads-up that 'The Saint' episode called 'The Fast Women' is on ITV4 at 17.00 on Wed. 24th Dec, repeated on Xmas Day at 10.00am.......this motor-racing-themed features some footage of the 1964 British GP at Brands, but may set a new standard for 'worst'........

Some details and photos here:
http://www.imcdb.org...pe-20-1961.html
http://www.imcdb.org...-P261-1964.html

A snippet on Youtube:

Paul M

#97 Macca

Macca

• 3,298 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 17:02

Now it's been on TV, this episode of 'The Saint' is available to view for 28 days; there is indeed a little bit of the '64 British GP, a couple of F3's faked-up, a glimpse of Trevor Taylor in a BRP, and quite a lot filmed at Brands:

http://www.itv.com/C...=5&Filter=32913

Paul M

#98 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 18:35

I have bought the DVD "The Crowd Roars" (Warner Bros., 1932), and while it's perhaps not quite as bad as "Le Mans", it's certainly no good either. I bought it primarly for the racing scenes, of course, but apart from a couple of real crashes, everything is staged, and badly at that! Have I said badly? I meant terrible! Have I said terrible? I meant ridiculous!

On the other hand, you get to see a few Ascot and Indy racers close up, and hear the sound of Millers and Dueseys; you also see IMS, Legion Ascot and an unidentified halfmile (San Jose?). Harry Hartz, Fred Frame and Billy Arnold have mini roles, and all of them do very well as actors, so it has something for the curiosity seekers. Anyway, as the plot is hilariously bad, everyone else is herewith warned to not waste any money!

#99 Matheson

Matheson

• 29 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:29

Throwing in a wildcard as it's not a movie - "The Grand Prix of Gibraltar" by Sir Peter Ustinov. :up:

Advertisement

#100 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,539 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:39

Originally posted by Matheson
Throwing in a wildcard as it's not a movie - "The Grand Prix of Gibraltar" by Sir Peter Ustinov. :up:

Brilliant! I just wish it was a movie! :wave: