Photo

Best and worst racing movies

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#251 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,452 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 21:43

:stoned:EI.Pix Thank you for your comments..which i appreciate..When i have an hour or so to waste i.ll have a look and won.t expect too much !!
For $2..I hav.nt wasted a lot..
Interesting .. the story about your adventure on the lot of Thelma and Louise...Lets face it you were photographers on an OSCA winning film..
Sounds like fun.. Thanks again..

It really was a cool experience, and felt like being part of something Grand.... 'til I saw the movie! Susan Sarandon's a competent actress for sure, but Geena Davis was terrible.... she still has her likable qualities, though.... I watched her interact with others on the set, and she was shy and seemed like a nice lady, and quite normal.

The scene where the T-bird crashes through a chicken coop at the apex of a right-hander, and cop cars go rolling like bowling balls, happened right in front of us. One of the production people looked at us and asked, "Did you get that?" I just replied, "Got it!" and he wandered off assuming we belonged there. I'll scan them someday.

Kinda like sneaking under the fence as a kid.... if you look like you belong, maybe you do.

Advertisement

#252 jjordan

jjordan

• 49 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 23:08

Not exactly a CAR racing movie.............BUT, "Time Rider." Its pretty obscure, a Baja 1000 type race where Fred Ward plays the big Motorcycle racer, wanders off-course and into a time travel experiment and he and his Honda desert bike are transported back to the 1870's. Kind of interesting story twists and turns, suprise ending. But the scenes of him terrorizing the cowboys with his big Honda are entertaining. Was directed by Michael Nesmith (of the Monkees.)

#253 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,413 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 23:10

Susan Sarandon starred in "Speed Racer". Here's the trailer for those not blessed with its acquaintance:

#254 ronmac

ronmac

• 825 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 23:21

:confused: WELL I got time to watch the DVD of Fast Girl that I bought at a charity shop for $2....
and found that it was just a teen movie..I agree with EI Pix..that the only car worth seeing was
a neat Mustang..
Although the DVD was supposed to be 90 minutes..the (expensive ) DVD crashed after only 65
minutes,,so I did.nt get to see how she became a world champion driver after only one week of
training..Perhaps just as well ..!!

#255 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,452 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 23:33

:confused: WELL I got time to watch the DVD of Fast Girl that I bought at a charity shop for $2....
and found that it was just a teen movie..I agree with EI Pix..that the only car worth seeing was
a neat Mustang..
Although the DVD was supposed to be 90 minutes..the (expensive ) DVD crashed after only 65
minutes,,so I did.nt get to see how she became a world champion driver after only one week of
training..Perhaps just as well ..!!

Darn, maybe you should have offered an extra buck-fifty to get that last 25 minutes!

World Champion after a week of training? Why the crass comments?.... It happens all the time.... just not on Earth!

#256 ronmac

ronmac

• 825 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 00:18

:yawnface: EI Pix..I hear what you are saying..but i.m not talking tv cooking champ..or tv weight loss champ.
I mean real World Motor Racing Champions...only very talented drivers such as Mickey Rooney (Big Wheel )
can achieve such great heights ..!!

#257 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,452 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 00:30

:yawnface: EI Pix..I hear what you are saying..but i.m not talking tv cooking champ..or tv weight loss champ.
I mean real World Motor Racing Champions...only very talented drivers such as Mickey Rooney (Big Wheel )
can achieve such great heights ..!!

The Big Wheel.... now THAT was one fun movie! Not too real, but Hey, it was almost 70 years ago.... and I loved it.

Ever seen "Redline 7000?" This was a stock car movie in the mid-60s or so, not at all accurate.... but entertaining in other ways. Every 30 seconds was a big pileup, which I downright hate in real life as I've lost several friends and clients in this biz.... but hysterically funny in the movie. They'd finish carting someone off to the hospital, and next thing you knew, there's the announcer, "OH, Oh, LOOK OUT, Crash in Turn 2....!"

A worthy watch, particularly if Guinness is in the House. Recommended (the movie and the Guinnii). :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Edited by E1pix, 06 March 2011 - 00:34.

#258 ronmac

ronmac

• 825 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:13

:cat: EI.pPix....Yes enjoyed Big Wheel . 1949 (2 and half stars) Saw it last year on tv...and saw Redline 7000 (1965...2 and half stars )
many years ago...still remember it.. On my 3 trips to usa..I hae been to 15 NASCAR races..and managed to get into the pits at some tracks..
after showing my FIA racing license to the manager..
Didnt get close to Pikes Peak or Colorado Springs near where you are . though..but sounds and looks like a pretty area..
Did you know that the first person to travel the Colorado river ..upstream ..in a boat came from my hometown...Christchurch..New Zealand..
in a Hamilton jet boat..(Bill Hamilton ) that he invented himself..
What.s this about Guiness ?? not Alec Guiness or do you mean the frothy .,thick English drink..that is used for medicinal purposes !!??

#259 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,212 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:10

What.s this about Guiness ?? not Alec Guiness or do you mean the frothy .,thick English drink..that is used for medicinal purposes !!??

I should take cover, Ron, before the wrath of the Irish descends upon you for suggesting their wonderful beverage might be English. :rotfl:

(Mind you, when we went round the Guinness brewery in Dublin around ten years ago, they told us that the biggest Guinness brewery in the world was in Nigeria.)

Advertisement

#260 ronmac

ronmac

• 825 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:38

:yawnface: Sorry Tim ..I take your point...And apologise...If I ever get to Ireland I.ll be shore to kiss the Blarney Bone..!!!
and dance an Irish Jug...!!and promise not to tell any Irish Jokers..!!I.ll stick to my Jim Beam..

#261 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,452 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:20

:cat: .... after showing my FIA racing license to the manager.... Did you know that the first person to travel the Colorado river ..upstream ..in a boat came from my hometown...Christchurch..New Zealand..
in a Hamilton jet boat..(Bill Hamilton ) that he invented himself..

FIA license, seriously?

Didn't know about the upriver feat and its Down Under connections.... COOL.... my brother lived in Christchurch a couple years after a dozen on Ngau Island, Fiji. Back in States now, wondering why. (not a dis', I'm one, too)

Alec Who? Oh, Yeah, him. No, the medicinal type.... Eddie Irvine best not be listening! English, Indeed!

#262 ronmac

ronmac

• 825 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:05

:cat: Hi Ei Pix...Your queery about my FIA License (to give formal permission to )...No i did.nt mean that
I meant a FIA Racing Licence ( A certificate or permit ) is that what you were refering to ??
While most U.S. citizens were born with a silver spoon in their mouth..Australasian citizens..with better than half
a brain were born with a FIA Racing Licence.. :clap: :clap:
At our motor race meetings where International drivers are racing.we must have an International Licence
to compete with them..Except in the case of a club meeting.sprint or hillclimb..etc..

#263 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,452 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:24

:cat: Hi Ei Pix...Your queery about my FIA License (to give formal permission to )...No i did.nt mean that
I meant a FIA Racing Licence ( A certificate or permit ) is that what you were refering to ??
While most U.S. citizens were born with a silver spoon in their mouth..Australasian citizens..with better than half
a brain were born with a FIA Racing Licence.. :clap: :clap:
At our motor race meetings where International drivers are racing.we must have an International Licence
to compete with them..Except in the case of a club meeting.sprint or hillclimb..etc..

Hi, RonMac:

Yes, that's what I meant, an FIA Competition license. I'm familiar with it and the level requiring it, almost needed one myself to race a kart in the Monaco Cup a few years back.... alas, no funds (I'm of the other half, the non-silver spooners!).

It sounds like you're driving.... and at a high level. Only way to go! (driving what, if I may ask?)

Thanks.

Edited by E1pix, 07 March 2011 - 07:26.

#264 ronmac

ronmac

• 825 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:55

:cat: HI. E.Pix....I had to look up my macquarie dictionary to check the spelling of FIA racing .....LICENCE....(AUS.AND N.Z. )
spelling....LICENSE..might be USA spelling..( not trying to be funny)
No I hav.nt raced for over 30 years.. Was racing car dirt tracks..then speedway midgets..stock cars.. then sealed circuits
racing modified saloons..and standard production saloon cars..(Especially long distance races....1000 kms)
Now happy to watch every race that i can..Nascar Sprint today (aus. driver Ambrose got a good 4 th today )
Mid summer speedway sprint cars are great when up to 10 U.S.A. drivers arrive for the $20.000 and the $50.000
to win events.. and AUS. V8 Ford and G.M. Saloon races British Touring Cars....World motorcycle Series..etc..etc..
It was fun getting into the pits and chatting to ( king ) Richard Petty..etc..So I am a watcher now..not a competitor.!!
Hey this is not a movie subject.!! :clap:

#265 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,855 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 15:19

Going right back to the start of this thread -

Gil said "I've read more articles on McQueen's wanting to do a "racing," picture. Therefore, the script was a piecemeal cut and paste special."

Does anyone know more about McQueen's proposed movie that I'm sure was started before Grand Prix but aborted due to his (SM's) illness? I clearly remember turning up at Brabham's Byfleet workshops one day with a load of Goodyear tyres only to find the place full of characters wearing dark glasses (indoors) and drinking Coke. And one of them was definitely S McQueen. I was told that a movie was being planned and I assume that Brabhams were involved in supplying cars. Or perhaps SM just wanted to get some practice. Grand Prix was made in 1966; I'm sure my 'meeting' would have been sometime early in '65.

Lyn Meredith

Posted Image

Day of the Champion would have been Steve McQueen’s take on Grand Prix racing. A keen motor racing fan and talented amateur driver, McQueen wanted to make the definitive racing movie, which was to be directed by John Sturges from a script by Ken Purdy. Filming began in 1965 but it was a film that McQueen started and the studio stopped (though not until after a million feet of film had been shot)..

In the book Steve McQueen: A Tribute to the King of Cool, Robert Relyea, who worked for McQueen’s Solar Productions, described the competition between John Frankenheimer/MGM and McQueen/Warner Bros to produce a movie about Grand Prix racing:

“No one in Hollywood wants to make a movie on the same subject, at the same time, as another studio – especially about racing. There might be enough of an audience for one film, but the market could not bear two. It became an ugly fight to see who could complete their film first.”

In her book My Husband, My Friend, McQueen's wife included some insights into what happened:

“One morning Jim Garner called from L.A. with some aggravating news. As soon as I was assured that nothing had happened to our house (he was, after all, our next-door neighbor), I handed the phone to Steve. I sensed something was very wrong and when he bid Jim good-bye Steve stared straight ahead, not saying anything. I waited patiently for him to collect his thoughts. Then slowly and deliberately he said, "That fu*ker. He's just signed to do Grand Prix. He wanted to tell me himself before I read about it or heard it from somebody else. How about that? You see, baby, you just cannot trust anybody in this business." (According to Robert Relyea, McQueen didn’t talk to Garner for nearly two years)

“Now, to make our scheduling problems worse, John Sturges arrived to discuss Day of the Champion with Steve. The Sand Pebbles was way over schedule. No one knew when the company would be moving on to the next location (Hong Kong), nor could anyone assess how long we would be there. In the light of these realities, the planned May start date for Day of the Champion had to be pushed back. Even July was looking "iffy." So John zeroed in on August. But there had been an unscheduled run-in over the validity of the Sturges-McQueen contract with the Nurburgring auto racing course. The producers of the competing Grand Prix, Ed Lewis-John Frankenheimer, had attempted to get an injunction against the Auto Club of Germany, with whom Sturges had a contract. However, the courts ruled the Sturges pact valid and twenty-seven reels of backgound film were released to John. To capture the track's atmosphere, Stirling Moss, now completely recovered from his near-fatal accident in 1962, drove a racing car with a camera mounted on top of it, traveling at speeds up to 175 miles per hour. The Nurburgring Grand Prix drew nearly 500,000 fans and was also covered by a helicopter."

"Steve could hardly wait. Whenever he talked about Day of the Champion his eyes sparkled. He had found a kind of dignity in racing and the acceptance that had been given him by one of the toughest fraternities in the world was immensely satisfying. He was certain this epic would be the definitive film on motor racing. His hands were already itching for the wheels.”

Unfortunately, McQueen fell ill and the further delay proved fatal to Day of the Champion. Grand Prix won the race to open in cinemas and Warner Brothers pulled the plug. So, would it have been the best motor racing movie ever? I doubt we will ever see the abortive footage but if you have $500 to spare you can have a copy of the Ken Purdy script http://www.24heuresd...content.php/350

Posted Image

Edited by Amphicar, 07 March 2011 - 15:21.

#266 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,136 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 17:24

...if you have $500 to spare you can have a copy of the Ken Purdy script http://www.24heuresd...content.php/350

Posted Image

Having read some of Ken Purdy's attempts at writing fiction in the otherwise moderately entertaining Ken Purdy's book of Automobiles, he's not a man I would ever have commissioned to write a film script, and I certainly wouldn't waste $500 of my money on it. I'd say that his writing was very heavily influenced by Robert Daley's The Cruel Sport, so no thanks, but I suppose that's Hollywood for you where motor racing is concerned.

#267 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,855 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 18:23

Having read some of Ken Purdy's attempts at writing fiction in the otherwise moderately entertaining Ken Purdy's book of Automobiles, he's not a man I would ever have commissioned to write a film script, and I certainly wouldn't waste $500 of my money on it. I'd say that his writing was very heavily influenced by Robert Daley's The Cruel Sport, so no thanks, but I suppose that's Hollywood for you where motor racing is concerned.

I still think it would be interesting to read the script - if only to see how it compared to that of Le Mans, the racing film Steve McQueen did make. McQeen fell out with John Sturges as director of Le Mans because McQueen wanted it to be a documentary-style feature and Sturges was equally certain that telling a strong, defined story was crucial to the film's success at the box-office. Allegedly, Sturges quit the film with the parting remark "I'm too old and too rich to put up with this shit".

#268 Gerr

Gerr

• 687 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 20:19

The fiction in "Ken Purdy's Book of Automobiles" was all published elsewhere, from 1952 to 1959, long before "The Cruel Sport" was published in 1963. More likely Daley was influenced by Purdy.

#269 The Oracle

The Oracle

• 104 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 21:56

1st I'll apologise for repeats but have only scanned through the first 4 pages but here's my offerings:

If Checkered Flag is the one i'm thinking of yes it was dire - someone correct me if i'm wrong please, seem to remeber a film (CF?) that began with a team testing a single seater race car on a circuit in a desert (like you do!) and the #1 star driver has an accident when a tumble weed blows accross the track and covers his visor causing a crash (stop laughing its really serious!) the young rookie driver has to take the number one status, lots of over acting male bravado I seem to remeber, bed hopping with drivers, mechanics and team owner wives and girlfriends but they all pull through in the end IIRC terrible film and only seen it once (that was enough) but I now have a slightly peverse longing for a second watch to remind myself how bad it really was.

Another one whose title escapes me (feel free to fill in the blanks) featured racing from what looked like the early 70s and a millionarie race driver who wasn't that good, one race saw him cause a huge accident at the start with many cars going off in flames only for him to make it back to the pits and get in a (more modern looking) March I think, re join and crash again - confusing at most - fortunatley thats all I remeber of that particular shambles.

Danica Patricks apperence on CSI NY was just plain poor really, too many motorsport crossovers to keep different audiences intrested, the single seaters looked like FPA cars, the dead driver (Brazillian with a yellow helmet IIRC) had more accidents and injuries that I care to remeber including an eye injury (broadcast not long after Massa I think) and also survived a huge accident in the Monaco 300 (stills of Kubica's Canada accident on screen for this announcment). The overall accident and cause of death linked to a KERS like device and high ocatane fule again IIRC - worth viewing the episode if you really enjoy shouting abuse at you TV.

On the other hand the film I would really reccomend would have to be (GP and LM aside) Love the Beast by Eric Banna, and the story of the Ford Falcon Coupe (or as he calls it coop) that he has owned since he was 16, rebuilt several times and then converts to rally spec to compete in the Targa Tasmanian rally, If you havn't seen it i'll not go any further but I really can't reccomend this any higher a great, honest well made documentry prooving that some Hollywood actors are normal, well as normal as us here anyway.

#270 droopsnoot

droopsnoot

• 39 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:35

With the recent passing of the great Dennis Hopper, may I suggest one of his lesser-known films, one of which has become a bit of a cult classic amongst gearheads named "King of the Mountain". Released in 1981, and unfortunately currently not available on dvd (although I have seen bootleg dvd copies available from time to time). The story is loosely based on the actual "canyon racing" that was the rage on southern California's Mulholland Drive back in the late 70's.

I didn't think anyone else had heard of this, it was on BBC1 late at night one time, shortly after I'd first got a video recorder. I tracked down a VHS copy on eBay as my recorded-off-telly version seemed to be missing the start, only to find I hadn't missed anything. I seem to recall I added it to imcdb as it wasn't listed there, though I might be wrong.

Posted Image

#271 zuzulo56

zuzulo56

• 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 15:51

A sparsely known, short (22 min.), Documentary entitled "THE SOUND OF SPEED." It shows the F1 SCARAB (1960) chassis w/ a 350 Chevy on board...at Riverside. It's claim to fame is its ACTUAL AUDIO. Driven by Lance Reventlow, Chuck Daigh at hand:
Part One:

Part Two: http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#272 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 17:21

I saw Crash Palace when it came out at an art theater about 28 years ago .... I enjoyed that movie and own it on lazer disc . Of course love the scene when he takes a little test drive but the scene on the rail road tracks is classic !

Yep, I was going to mention "Crash Palace".

"A Man and a Woman"

Posted Image

and now I can;t get the theme out of my head! nah nah nah - nananana, nananana, nah nah nah - nananana, nanana .... :lol: well better than the Muppet Theme .. doh!

Honourable mention to "Little Fauss and Big Halsy", classic motocycle racing drama.

Posted Image

Edited by cheapracer, 18 April 2011 - 17:25.

#273 ronmac

ronmac

• 825 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 20:48

:clap: My eldest son phoned yesterday..He found me a dvd copy of....WINNING....Paul Newman...Joanne Woodward.
Must be 40 years since I.ve seen it..and I see that it got a rating of 3 stars out of 5..so keen on watching it again..
I must make sure that he gets an extra mention in my will.

#274 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 00:21

A sparsely known, short (22 min.), Documentary entitled "THE SOUND OF SPEED." It shows the F1 SCARAB (1960) chassis w/ a 350 Chevy on board...at Riverside. Its claim to fame is its ACTUAL AUDIO. Driven by Lance Reventlow, Chuck Daigh at hand:

At the Scarab Reunion at Road America in 2008 every attendee at the Saturday evening banquet received a nice packaged copy of The Sound of Speed, courtesy of Bruce Kessler, who was the director of the film. Bruce recalled that most of the driving in the film was actually done by Daigh. What, among other things, is notable about the film is that there is not one word of dialogue. Just the sound track and the sound of the big pushrod Chevy in the Scarab, which was F-1 chassis number one. A keen eye will note some breaks in continuity, such as the white Ford station wagon which changes years between shots.
Tom

#275 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,151 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 21:06

The other day, I accidentally found the full version of "Driven" on YouTube, and, well, having one of those days when you might as well go to bed early, I decided to watch it. I certainly wasn't expecting a motor racing version of Citizen Kane or Lawrence of Arabia, but was still quite surprised to be watching a listless B movie - even the music/soundtrack/score was simply terrible! Above all, the characterization of the protagonists was quite astounding - as if the movie had been made exclusively for 12-year-olds ("That's all right, you're perfectly normal - look, all those adults behave exactly the same as you do!"). Now, I'm not a fool, and I know that movies are generally made for young audiences, but this here seemed grossly exaggerated, almost like a parody! Yet, even as a parody it failed miserably.

In the context of this forum, it was most disturbing to see that the twenty or thirty seconds of water aerobics in the middle of the film were far more interesting and exciting to watch than everything that was passed off as "racing" in the movie (let's face it, this is not really a "racing movie" because it doesn't show anything that could be considered as a portrayal of actual racing). What were those CART crackpots thinking when they supported this production???!!! Small wonder open-wheel racing has tanked big time in the USofA - the twelve-year-olds of 2001 are now paying admission to synchronized swimming events, while the grandstands of racing tracks are beginning to look like geriatric conventions! Thanks to all of those involved, HANG YOUR HEADS IN SHAME!!! :mad:

Edited by Michael Ferner, 10 December 2012 - 21:09.

#276 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,022 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 21:47

I saw a film at the cinema in 1959..it was American and was called "Devils Hairpin" or "The Devils Hairpin" and was prolly made circa 1958.

I cant remember who was in it or what the storyline was.....although the title probably gives a fair idea.

What I do remember, however, was that there was loads of footage of a short nose production D Type Jaguar in BRG I think, and a production Aston Martin DB3S....

Anybody remember this film?

Derek

I must have missed this when it was posted, I remember it vaguely. The D-Type was BRG, the DB3S was silver and ran into a tree, there was also a red XK120 in the field - I can't remember any others. The D-Type's owner wouldn't let the hero drive it so he drove a white car with suspect handling but being the hero he won anyway.
Does anyone reading this know what the white car was?

#277 Macca

Macca

• 3,311 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:20

http://1.bp.blogspot...ILS HAIRPIN.jpg

http://blogs.yahoo.c...8/11917138.html

Stills on the above seem to show the white car might have been the Porter Special on here:

http://vintage-sport...rack-photos.php

Paul M

#278 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,022 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:28

Thanks Paul.
After posting the question, I ferretted around a bit and found out that the car was the Mercedes 300SL based Chevrolet-powered special with a body resembling a 300SLR built by Chuck Porter who named it the 300SLS. The second 'S' reportedly stood for 'Scrap' reflecting the car's origins.
I has been mentioned previously on TNF here

#279 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:27

I have what appears to be a copy of a copy of a copy of the VHS version of "The Devil's Hairpin". If you look at the last four images in this album, you can see how the Hairpin looked in the film, and how it looked in 2005, when the Fabulous Fifties non-organization held a reunion celebrating fifty years of racing at Paramount Ranch (that golden anniversary was 2006; my mistake).

Edited by Frank S, 12 December 2012 - 03:30.

Advertisement

#280 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,230 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:51

Going right back to the start of this thread -

Day of the Champion would have been Steve McQueen’s take on Grand Prix racing. A keen motor racing fan and talented amateur driver, McQueen wanted to make the definitive racing movie,...

In her book My Husband, My Friend, McQueen's wife included some insights into what happened:

“... twenty-seven reels of backgound film! [taken at Nurburgrıng] 'were released to John. To capture the track's atmosphere, Stirling Moss, now completely recovered from his near-fatal accident in 1962, drove a racing car with a camera mounted on top of it, traveling at speeds up to 175 miles per hour. The Nurburgring Grand Prix drew nearly 500,000 fans and was also covered by a helicopter..."

If one goes to You Tube and searches for Stırlıng Moss Nurburgrıng one can fınd a short clıp on board wıth Moss, ın dıstınctıve whıte helmet, ın what appears to be a Cooper at Nurburgrıng. The footage ıs black-and-whıte and the clıp very short: about 1.30 IIRC. Is that clıp fromn thıs footage, I wonder, and ıf so I wonder who has or where one mıght see the rest?

#281 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,824 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:23

Honourable mention to "Little Fauss and Big Halsy", classic motocycle racing drama.

Posted Image

anyone know where you can get the full original version???

The PC Brigade obviously has expunged most of the versions where Roberto is stuffed into the tractor tyre and launched down the big hill for "training" :clap:

#282 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 625 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 16:44

The PC Brigade obviously has expunged most of the versions where Roberto is stuffed into the tractor tyre and launched down the big hill for "training" :clap:

My pals and I used to that for fun back in the 1950's!.

#283 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:47

OT, and even earlier than Eric's time...

In the 18th century ill-bred London youths used to force old ladies into barrels and roll them down Snow Hill, on the edge of the City. The road still exists, in modified form, running down to Holborn Viaduct. I have to confess to a smile every time I pass it :blush:

#284 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,413 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:51

OT and even older.

The pagans of F1-hosting city Budapest didn't take kindly to the Christian preachings of Gerard Sagredo in 1046, so they rolled him down a hill in a barrel full of nails. Gellért Hill is named after him.

Anyhoo. What is the best Herbie film?

#285 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 601 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:58

Anyhoo. What is the best Herbie film?

No such animal.

Although I nearly choked when the 'mechanic' in the last of them was going to fix the New Beetle with an Empi rocker cover off a flat-four. And when I tried to explain the error, wife and daughter were uninterested. Peasants.

A lot of these old movies are available on DVD from www.hondahog.com - I bought The Green Helmet and The Racers from them. The also have reproductions of some seriously lurid movie posters - old B and C grade films, that would make good wall coverings for your Blokeatorium.

Bruce Moxon

#286 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:06

Something about one "pretty good" racing movie. The Lurid Poster (Not one of the Present Company) is about halfway down the page.

Edited by Frank S, 13 December 2012 - 03:06.

#287 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 625 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 17:42

anyone know where you can get the full original version???

Worth getting for the Johnny Cash/ Carl Perkins sound track! :cool: .

#288 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,314 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 18:33

Has anyone mentioned this jewel, featuring Fangio, Sanesi and the 3rd Battalion The Mounted Light Alfisti?

http://www.youtube.c...be_gdata_player

DCN

#289 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,159 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 23:27

So Monza meets Indy and possibly Silverstone ( at 3 mns 43secs ) !!

#290 nicanary

nicanary

• 444 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:20

Has anyone mentioned this jewel, featuring Fangio, Sanesi and the 3rd Battalion The Mounted Light Alfisti?

DCN

That was wonderful - what on earth is it from? Fangio just being himself, quiet dignity, and probably a better actor than Graham Hill in "Grand Prix".

#291 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 625 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 13:21

DCN

Wow. thats fantastico!. Thank you Mr N. Best bit of film I've seen for ages. Quite a prang for old Michele. Spinning off at Monza and hitting the wall at Indy!. :cool: .

#292 theracer120

theracer120

• 26 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:21

Wow. thats fantastico!. Thank you Mr N. Best bit of film I've seen for ages. Quite a prang for old Michele. Spinning off at Monza and hitting the wall at Indy!. :cool: .

And even more incredibly he's jumped from an Alfa Romeo to a Novi in the process! And the Alfa mechanics are running to the scene to try and pull him free of the wreck from Italy! It's truly astonishing!

Edited by theracer120, 16 December 2012 - 07:23.

#293 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 796 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 14:59

"Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."

Mark Twain?

Great footage nonetheless. Let's just put this one down as fulfilling 'artistic license'.

:stoned:

#294 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,314 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 15:24

"Never let the facts get in the way of a good story"

:stoned:

...as, with bated breath, we await Ron Howard's take on the Hunt/Lauda season of '76...

DCN

#295 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,033 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 16:17

...having fleetingly driven down a v wet piece of straight at Silverstone, I think, unless the Daily Express had advertising hoardings at 'Monzanapolis'. Rapidly changing weather conditions seemed a major problem in those days too - perhaps that's what caught out poor Michele, together with his broken heart.....
Perhaps next season, in an attempt to gain the upper hand, we will see GP drivers passing rivals life-shattering letters during the pre-race grid walkabout.

Edited by john winfield, 16 December 2012 - 16:18.

#296 312f1

312f1

• 40 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:40

That was wonderful - what on earth is it from? Fangio just being himself, quiet dignity, and probably a better actor than Graham Hill in "Grand Prix".

This is from the 1951 film "Ultimo Incontro", available on you tube also as a full film. Farina,Fangio,Sanesi,Bonetto are shown in the credits.
Team manager/chief engineer's wife has an affair with a driver (not one of the above 4).

#297 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 230 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:55

Great footage! It seems like there's some continuity problems with the weather - At 3:50, we see a bunch of kids who have managed to find a nice, sunny, dry place to spectate while the rest of the track looks pretty wet.

#298 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 964 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 18:04

The other day I watched the motorcycle documentary "On any Sunday" on cable. I remember how big an impression that film made on me and my friends.

#299 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 335 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 21:25

This movie is mentioned back in post 131,"Ultimo Incontro". I had this link sent to me recently.

This clip starts in Europe and ends at Indianapolis , all in the one race! :eek: :eek: :eek:

The genuine footage of the 158/159 Alfas is otherwise quite good including some reasonable sound.

Edited by fredeuce, 19 December 2012 - 21:27.

Advertisement

#300 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,151 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 21:40

Well, if you've followed the discussions in another thread you should know that there's not a 159 Alfetta to be seen...

About the crash starting in Italy, and ending up at a concrete wall in central Indiana, I don't think it will have elicited much comment from the movie goers in 1951. However, the fact that the car miraculously spins around another 180 degrees between cuts is a lot less "fluid", if you know what I mean, and the whole accident dynamics are an effing mess... :rolleyes: