Photo

Best and worst racing movies

• Please log in to reply
332 replies to this topic

#301 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,844 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 21:54

The other day I watched the motorcycle documentary "On any Sunday" on cable. I remember how big an impression that film made on me and my friends.

Yes! Bruce Brown's iconic doco...but don't be tempted to watch "On any Sunday II". It will make a bad impression on you and your friends! :wave:

Advertisement

#302 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,844 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 22:21

My pals and I used to that for fun back in the 1950's!.

Hmmmm you have me thinking now...was it Downhill Racer that Redford did the stunt??? More research required! :rolleyes:

#303 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,306 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:05

This movie is mentioned back in post 131,"Ultimo Incontro". I had this link sent to me recently.

This clip starts in Europe and ends at Indianapolis , all in the one race! :eek: :eek: :eek:

The genuine footage of the 158/159 Alfas is otherwise quite good including some reasonable sound.

This one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044162/

Jean-Pierre Aumont as Michele Bonesi looked a bit like Dick Seaman to me !

Vince H.

#304 cpbell

cpbell

• 737 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 20:42

Well, if you've followed the discussions in another thread you should know that there's not a 159 Alfetta to be seen...

About the crash starting in Italy, and ending up at a concrete wall in central Indiana, I don't think it will have elicited much comment from the movie goers in 1951. However, the fact that the car miraculously spins around another 180 degrees between cuts is a lot less "fluid", if you know what I mean, and the whole accident dynamics are an effing mess... :rolleyes:

I must admit, the crash scene got be laughing quite heartily - the way the sped-up film depicts the Alfetta turning through 180 degrees at a supposed 100-or-so-mph was quite wonderfully bonkers.

On a separate note, on checking the full credits in the IMDB link as provided by raceannouncer, one "Von (von?) Stuck" is mentioned, with no surname given. Presumably this was the Bergmeister himself?

Edited by cpbell, 21 December 2012 - 20:43.

#305 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,122 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:40

Has anyone watched this movie?

http://happyotter666...-stop-1969.html

#306 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 647 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 00:03

Has anyone watched this movie?

http://happyotter666...-stop-1969.html

I have not, but now I'm intrigued.

Bruce Moxon

#307 mac miller

mac miller

• 45 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 19:31

Back in the late 90s, I hosted Thursday night movies in the lounge at the Indianapolis Speedway Motel.
We showed old Hollywood racing movies and some documentaries.
I used to write hyped up movie intros and post them on some forums to get people to show up.
All of our movies had one thing in common... They all had the three "Rs" racin' wreckin' and romancin'
Here are some of the movie intros I wrote.

THE BLONDE COMET
Before there was Janet, Desire’, Lynn, Sarah, and Danica, there was the Blonde Comet.
Beautiful blonde girl race car driver leaves the euro Grand Prix circuit to race the California dirt ovals
Drivers in love.... Mechanics in love ..... Barney Oldfield in an academy award quality performance as the
lovable old Firestone race tire dealer

THUNDER IN CAROLINA
If you missed Barney Oldfield's "academy award quality performance", last night, in "The Blonde Comet", you missed it,.... but..........................you will have an opportunity, next week, to see another "academy award quality performance" by the great Rory Calhoun in "Thunder in Carolina" featuring the beautiful "Carol Post" as the brazen hussy/love interest and the "skipper" as the lovable "one armed" mechanic in this fabulous tale of 50s stock car racin', moon-shine drinkin', wife stealin', singin', wreckin', partyin', scufflin', bumblin' mechanics, 50s style groupies, shady promoters, evil car owners, stereotype 50s drivers, classic racing cliché’s, out of control ambition and greed, etc. ...................................not to mention, the "Southern 500" at Darlington!
"....... Hey Stoogie! Don'tcha know better'n to eat peanuts in the pits!"

Before there was "days of thunder" , there was "THUNDER IN CAROLINA"!!!

Exactly what is it that you people think is more important than watch-ing some cool old racing films on Thursday evenings at THE SPEEDWAY?????

PLUS SELECTED SHORT SUBJECTS
COLOR BY TECHNICOLOR
BE THERE OR BE SQUARE
MCMXXXXXX.... or MCMLX...
ETC.ETC.ETC.

THE RACERS
Thursday! Thursday!Thursday!!!!!!........... night at the Speedway motel..
How can we top Barney Oldfield in the "Blonde Comet" or Rory Calhoun & "The Skipper" in "Thunder In Carolina"?????? Well, Stop by Thursday night and find out!........... We're bringing in "The Racers"!! Academy award quality performances by the swashbuckling Kirk Douglas, the debonair Cesar Romero, the very cool Gilbert Roland and the cranky but lovable team manager, Lee J. Cobb........... This week's featured love interest is worth the price of admission (free) all by her-self, the beautiful Bella Darvi!!!

See famous actors pretending to be Italians!..... See Italians pretend-ing to be actors!....... See great mid fifties Maserati sports and GP cars pretending to be Boranno sports and GP cars!......... See some of the worst special effects crashes in cinema history and one of the greatest "lines" ever spoken in a racing film (I spit in your crankcase!).............. See animal lover, Kirk Douglas, destroy his very cool HMW sports car at Monaco!........... See them race the Mille Miglia, Monaco and all of the great old GP tracks of the world with no guardrails!...... See the usual greed & ambition, superstitions & cliches', racin', wreckin', and romancin'................ AND SEE IT ALL IN COLOR!!!!!!!
Before there was "Grand Prix", there was "THE RACERS"

MCMLV
Be There or Be Square

THE ROAR OF THE CROWD
In our continuing quest to bring you the finest in Hollywood motion picture entertainment, Thursday night's feature presentation will be.......(insert drum roll here).......... The Roar of the Crowd.

This heartwarming story of a father and his son doing something to-gether (racing cars), stars Howard Duff in his Academy Award quality performance as Johnny Tracy, but ............. this isn't the "big story"! The "big story" is the continuous appearances of Henry Banks, Manny Ayulo, Johnny Parsons and Dennis "Duke" Nalon throughout the film....
See "Pop" Tracy and Johnny race the "Tracy Flyer" coupe' on the beach course at Daytona!!!............ See "Pop" and Johnny destroy the " Tracy Flyer" coupe' in the world's biggest wreck at Lang-horne!!!!............. See Johnny marry the rarest of all women, a woman who is willing to blow the mortgage money on a race car!!!!!!............ See Johnny race the "Tracy Special" champ car on the great dirt miles of America and, finally, at The Indianapolis Motor Speedway........ Also featuring the usual 3 Rs (racin', wreckin', ro-mancin')!!!
Before there was Paul Tracy, there was "Pop" Tracy, Johnny Tracy and the "Tracy Flyer"!!!!!

selected short subjects....be there or be square..... etc.etc.etc.......

MONZAPOLIS
Rare documentary film of the 1957 and 1958 Race of Two Worlds.... Indy roadsters at Monza Italy

Well,This one is so big that it needs no hype!.... This one is too big for Thursday night so we moved it to "date night"
so your wives and girlfriends can see it, too!........ This one is..... (insert drumroll here).............. MONZANAPOLIS!!!!!!!

*See BIG MEN in BIG CARS on the BIG TRACK!
*See Americans claim Euro track records for the first time since Leon Duray,
in his supercharged, straight 8, front drive Miller, hammered the euros in '29 at Montlhery!
* See the Firestone engineers tearing their hair out , wondering why anyone would pave a track with concrete.
* See Pat O'Conner stress the Firestone rubber to its outer limits during tire tests!
* See the greatest display of American firepower in Italy since WW2!
* See chief mechanics scrambling to find their Winchester "set up" sheets!
* See Italian women faint and Italian men run for cover as the big OFFY engines back-fire and roar to life!
* See the "great white hope" of Italy, The "Eldorado Ice Cream" Maserati, in one of its rare appearances, literally,
get blown into the ditch by the American iron!
* See Italian women with children, at the track, looking for their American WW2 boy friends who might be
working for race teams!

Don't wait for this one to come out on video........ see it "first run" at the Speedway Motel Lounge!!!
Before there was Daytona......... There was MONZA!!!!!!
Come on!...... What do you have to do, on Friday night, that is more important than this!

be there or be square...... selected short subject.... etc.etc.etc.

THE GREEN HELMET
D-types, Listers, Masers, Birdcages....... Sebring and the Mille Miglia ......wisenheimer mechanics and sibling rivalry......race tire failures and 50s euro Herbert Johnson Helmets........ wreckin’, racin’, and romancin’.......... beauty, mate!
Since this film is presented in Black and White no one knows for sure who was wearing ....... “The Green Helmet”

ROAD RACERS
This flick, about early 60s SoCal club roadracing, features no name actors and some of the most incredible overacting in movie history. Also featured is an early 60s Devin bodied kit car (equipped with stock steel wheels) playing the part of an expensive Italian racing car and a real Ak Miller built PanAmerican RoadRace car. This film has all of the usual racin’, wreckin’ and romancin’ plus early 60s California Specials, racing at early 60s Laguna and Willow Springs.
See pshycotic leadfoot drivers.... hot girls.... hot sports cars.... racin' wreckin' and romancin'

mac miller in INDY

Edited by mac miller, 20 January 2013 - 20:17.

#308 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,463 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 22:38

Love it! What a hoot! And very likely all true!

Tom

#309 fer312t

fer312t

• 851 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 23:27

If anyone has access to instant Netflix (not sure if it's the same selection internationally, but here in the USA) there's a rather neat Speedway Motorcycle film called "Once a Jolly Swagman." Has some quite good period racing footage from the 40's, filmed in New Cross Stadium in London...

Since this film is presented in Black and White no one knows for sure who was wearing ....... “The Green Helmet”

That's quite good :wave:

I'd really like to see this one again...I recall a very dramatic (obviously real) Sportscar accident into Eau Rouge at Spa at the start of the film...Anyone know the details of this incident?

#310 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 832 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:20

Great stuff, MM! :up:

#311 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,122 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 23:16

Death Race 2000

Some "highlights":

#312 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 832 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:11

On Turner Classic Movies...

July 02, Tuesday

4:30 PM
BRAVE ONE, THE (1956)

A Mexican boy saves his pet bull from death in the bull ring by securing a pardon from the president.
Dir: Irving Rapper Cast: Michel Ray , Rodolfo Hoyos , Elsa Cardenas.
C-100 mins, TV-G, Letterbox Format

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049030/

Not a film concentrating on motor racing but I do believe that this flick features a brief sequence, possibly of the LeMans catastrophe of 1955. I saw the film 40+ years ago and recall that the owner of the bull promised it to the young lad but was killed in a race before turning over the bull to the young fellow. Quite a good film, actually, gratuitous racing crash notwithstanding.

#313 racinggeek

racinggeek

• 241 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 21:21

See famous actors pretending to be Italians!..... See Italians pretending to be actors!

Don't know how I missed this before, but that line alone made me :rotfl:

#314 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 832 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:02

I haven't a clue how the following offering on Turner Classic Movies is going to shake out but I'm going to give it a look later today.

"Red Hot Tires"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026917/

Airs on TCM(North America)at 12:15, Thursday, March 27, 2014.

#315 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 795 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:15

Word outta Hollywood is that Mickey Rooney has died at age 93 .

The Big Wheel is a great racing movie

Godspeed   Mickey

Lemnpiper

#316 Macca

Macca

• 3,365 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 18:47

'The Green Helmet' was on TCM in the UK this evening.............first time I've ever seen it, not having felt justified in finding and buying a DVD.

At least I now know what people are talking about; but did anyone ever identify the real crash at Eau Rouge in the early part of the movie?

Paul M

#317 fer312t

fer312t

• 851 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:19

'The Green Helmet' was on TCM in the UK this evening.............first time I've ever seen it, not having felt justified in finding and buying a DVD.

At least I now know what people are talking about; but did anyone ever identify the real crash at Eau Rouge in the early part of the movie?

Paul M

Hi Paul...

This Green Helmet footage is Brazilian Christian 'Bino' Heins crashing his Porsche 718 RSK at Spa 1959. Seems he emerged relatively uninjured from this one, but went on to be killed a few years later at LeMans.

There's a few stills of the Spa accident here:

https://revslib.stan...an "Bino" Heins

#318 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,837 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 14:01

This movie is mentioned back in post 131,"Ultimo Incontro". I had this link sent to me recently.

This clip starts in Europe and ends at Indianapolis , all in the one race! :eek: :eek: :eek:

The genuine footage of the 158/159 Alfas is otherwise quite good including some reasonable sound.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MgzH4b8uHvA

Yes, some nice footage in this clip, but just as you point out, the clip ends at Indianapolis and I wondered how an ERA managed to slip into the all-Alfa testing clip a short while before

#319 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,235 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 20:01

Lucky not to meet someone coming in the opposite direction when he went around the Curva Grande the wrong way !

Advertisement

#320 jeffbee

jeffbee

• 74 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:55

The worst, positively the worst, film in any category has to be Driven.  I'm sure that anyone daft enough to have gone to see it at the cinema would have been tempted to ask for a full refund!

I remember a film starring William Holden from the early 60s in which he played a retired racing driver who, for reasons I can't remember, comes back one last time to win the Monaco Grand Prix.  For films of that era that featured motor racing it wasn't too bad.  However, I can't remember the title and it doesn't seem to feature in Holden's "Filmography".

As for a sensible film that would appeal to the more "mature" among us, at least in years, I think a drama with early 60s European F3 racing as a backdrop would be good.  There were drivers that lived in their converted buses, and drove from circuit to circuit to pick up enough money to get to the next race.  Maybe, as the villain, we could toss in a  diminutive man with a sideline in smuggling and dodgy deals.   

#321 tjmann

tjmann

• 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 17:26

I was watching Grand Prix on speedvision a couple of months ago and Frankenheimer (I think it was) said that McQueen was supposed to have the lead, but when he came in to talk to them he acted like such an ass and wanted so many changes and so much control that they told him to take a walk. Thats how we ended up with James Garner.

McQueen had a picture in the works called 'Day of a Champion' about Formula 1, which they shot about a million feet of film for - Alan Mann Racing was involved with the pre-production and some of the filming - somewhere we've got a copy of the script. Garner's film 'Grand Prix' came out first and they binned the rest of McQueen's film. McQueen wasn't massively thrilled about it!

#322 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,235 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 19:33

jeffbee.

I think a drama with early 60s European F3 racing as a backdrop would be good.  There were drivers that lived in their converted buses, and drove from circuit to circuit to pick up enough money to get to the next race. 

Would like to see that (hopefully without trying to dress up Blackbushe as Chimay, Schleiz, Brno, Caserta etc :rolleyes: )

Edited by LittleChris, 31 March 2015 - 19:33.

#323 MCS

MCS

• 3,598 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 20:54

Has anybody mentioned "Baffled" starring the late Leonard Nimoy?  Not actually a racing film per se, but some good shots of the rather poor field at the 1971 Oulton Park Gold Cup.

#324 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,449 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 22:19

The worst, positively the worst, film in any category has to be Driven.  I'm sure that anyone daft enough to have gone to see it at the cinema would have been tempted to ask for a full refund!

I still don't understand why people call "Driven" a racing movie - nothing in that movie reminds me of motor racing! Well, maybe the cars and driver uniforms, but the actions of the people are just the fantasy of a retarded teenager.

#325 63Corvette

63Corvette

• 51 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 14:35

Although my previous favorites were in fact: Grand Prix and LeMans.................I have recently bought and viewed a "new?" movie called simply "1". It is a Formula 1 documentary of the most dangerous years of the sport, and has some amazing footage and dialog with most of the most important players. It should not be missed by enthusiasts. It's available on Amazon.com.

http://en.wikipedia....i/1_(2013_film)

p10180667_d_v7_aa.jpg

Edited by 63Corvette, 06 April 2015 - 19:58.

#326 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,844 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:27

McQueen had a picture in the works called 'Day of a Champion' about Formula 1, which they shot about a million feet of film for - Alan Mann Racing was involved with the pre-production and some of the filming - somewhere we've got a copy of the script. Garner's film 'Grand Prix' came out first and they binned the rest of McQueen's film. McQueen wasn't massively thrilled about it!

Soooooo...is this million feet of film still available and if so, why hasn't someone tried to get it released for all the millions of McQueen fans out there?

#327 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 590 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 18:30

Presumably (hopefully!) the footage is in storage somewhere. But when and how was it filmed, and by whom? What sort of camera cars, etc.?

#328 Mila

Mila

• 5,846 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 18:52

Another Roger Corman-produced movie was "The Young Racers" (1963), which starred Mark Damon and William Campbell.

IMDb entry:

http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Trailer:

Far too much fun!

#329 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 15,101 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 19:20

Soooooo...is this million feet of film still available and if so, why hasn't someone tried to get it released for all the millions of McQueen fans out there?

Presumably (hopefully!) the footage is in storage somewhere. But when and how was it filmed, and by whom? What sort of camera cars, etc.?

The film was discussed earlier in this thread; this post contains a lot of useful info:

Going right back to the start of this thread -
Day%20of%20the%20Champion.jpg

Day of the Champion would have been Steve McQueen’s take on Grand Prix racing. A keen motor racing fan and talented amateur driver, McQueen wanted to make the definitive racing movie, which was to be directed by John Sturges from a script by Ken Purdy. Filming began in 1965 but it was a film that McQueen started and the studio stopped (though not until after a million feet of film had been shot)..

In the book Steve McQueen: A Tribute to the King of Cool, Robert Relyea, who worked for McQueen’s Solar Productions, described the competition between John Frankenheimer/MGM and McQueen/Warner Bros to produce a movie about Grand Prix racing:

“No one in Hollywood wants to make a movie on the same subject, at the same time, as another studio – especially about racing. There might be enough of an audience for one film, but the market could not bear two. It became an ugly fight to see who could complete their film first.”

In her book My Husband, My Friend, McQueen's wife included some insights into what happened:

“One morning Jim Garner called from L.A. with some aggravating news. As soon as I was assured that nothing had happened to our house (he was, after all, our next-door neighbor), I handed the phone to Steve. I sensed something was very wrong and when he bid Jim good-bye Steve stared straight ahead, not saying anything. I waited patiently for him to collect his thoughts. Then slowly and deliberately he said, "That fu*ker. He's just signed to do Grand Prix. He wanted to tell me himself before I read about it or heard it from somebody else. How about that? You see, baby, you just cannot trust anybody in this business." (According to Robert Relyea, McQueen didn’t talk to Garner for nearly two years)

“Now, to make our scheduling problems worse, John Sturges arrived to discuss Day of the Champion with Steve. The Sand Pebbles was way over schedule. No one knew when the company would be moving on to the next location (Hong Kong), nor could anyone assess how long we would be there. In the light of these realities, the planned May start date for Day of the Champion had to be pushed back. Even July was looking "iffy." So John zeroed in on August. But there had been an unscheduled run-in over the validity of the Sturges-McQueen contract with the Nurburgring auto racing course. The producers of the competing Grand Prix, Ed Lewis-John Frankenheimer, had attempted to get an injunction against the Auto Club of Germany, with whom Sturges had a contract. However, the courts ruled the Sturges pact valid and twenty-seven reels of backgound film were released to John. To capture the track's atmosphere, Stirling Moss, now completely recovered from his near-fatal accident in 1962, drove a racing car with a camera mounted on top of it, traveling at speeds up to 175 miles per hour. The Nurburgring Grand Prix drew nearly 500,000 fans and was also covered by a helicopter."

"Steve could hardly wait. Whenever he talked about Day of the Champion his eyes sparkled. He had found a kind of dignity in racing and the acceptance that had been given him by one of the toughest fraternities in the world was immensely satisfying. He was certain this epic would be the definitive film on motor racing. His hands were already itching for the wheels.”

Unfortunately, McQueen fell ill and the further delay proved fatal to Day of the Champion. Grand Prix won the race to open in cinemas and Warner Brothers pulled the plug. So, would it have been the best motor racing movie ever? I doubt we will ever see the abortive footage but if you have $500 to spare you can have a copy of the Ken Purdy script http://www.24heuresd...content.php/350

leaflets.jpg

It also has its own thread:

http://forums.autosp...on-warner-bros/

Sadly, some of the photos are no longer available, but check out the link posted by John Winfield which shows the modified Lola T70 camera car filming at the Nürburgring.

#330 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,844 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 22:13

Thanks Tim...TNF is a little like the Encyclopaedia Britannica without an index some time

#331 RTH

RTH

• 5,778 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:14

"Death drives through" 1935 feature film about Brooklands 60mins recently made available on DVD by Ealing Rarities. Find it on Amazon - not great but the period footage is super.

#332 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 479 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:06

"Hell Drivers" (1957)

Not sure if it qualifies as best or worse as it involved racing tipper trucks to & from a quarry. (The film was obviously speeded up to make them look faster than they actually were.)

Starred Stanley Baker & if you can be bothered to look it up, the rest of the cast list was quite incredible!

#333 nicanary

nicanary

• 480 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 13:12

"Hell Drivers" (1957)

Not sure if it qualifies as best or worse as it involved racing tipper trucks to & from a quarry. (The film was obviously speeded up to make them look faster than they actually were.)

Starred Stanley Baker & if you can be bothered to look it up, the rest of the cast list was quite incredible!

Sean Connery trying to act, for a start.

That clip from "The Young Racers" was hilarious, and so typical of the manner in which mediocre films were hyped in those days. "We visit the glamour spots of Europe - Rouen, Rheims, Monaco, Aintree.... :lol: ". Mind you, I would have been 12 years old when it was released, so I would probably have lapped it up.