Photo

Best and worst racing movies

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#301 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,931 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 21:54

The other day I watched the motorcycle documentary "On any Sunday" on cable. I remember how big an impression that film made on me and my friends.

Yes! Bruce Brown's iconic doco...but don't be tempted to watch "On any Sunday II". It will make a bad impression on you and your friends! :wave:

Advertisement

#302 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,931 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 22:21

My pals and I used to that for fun back in the 1950's!.

Hmmmm you have me thinking now...was it Downhill Racer that Redford did the stunt??? More research required! :rolleyes:

#303 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:05

This movie is mentioned back in post 131,"Ultimo Incontro". I had this link sent to me recently.

This clip starts in Europe and ends at Indianapolis , all in the one race! :eek: :eek: :eek:

The genuine footage of the 158/159 Alfas is otherwise quite good including some reasonable sound.

This one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044162/

Jean-Pierre Aumont as Michele Bonesi looked a bit like Dick Seaman to me !

Vince H.

#304 cpbell

cpbell

• 682 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 20:42

Well, if you've followed the discussions in another thread you should know that there's not a 159 Alfetta to be seen...

About the crash starting in Italy, and ending up at a concrete wall in central Indiana, I don't think it will have elicited much comment from the movie goers in 1951. However, the fact that the car miraculously spins around another 180 degrees between cuts is a lot less "fluid", if you know what I mean, and the whole accident dynamics are an effing mess... :rolleyes:

I must admit, the crash scene got be laughing quite heartily - the way the sped-up film depicts the Alfetta turning through 180 degrees at a supposed 100-or-so-mph was quite wonderfully bonkers.

On a separate note, on checking the full credits in the IMDB link as provided by raceannouncer, one "Von (von?) Stuck" is mentioned, with no surname given. Presumably this was the Bergmeister himself?

Edited by cpbell, 21 December 2012 - 20:43.

#305 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,090 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:40

Has anyone watched this movie?

http://happyotter666...-stop-1969.html

#306 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 607 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 00:03

Has anyone watched this movie?

http://happyotter666...-stop-1969.html

I have not, but now I'm intrigued.

Bruce Moxon

#307 mac miller

mac miller

• 43 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 19:31

Back in the late 90s, I hosted Thursday night movies in the lounge at the Indianapolis Speedway Motel.
We showed old Hollywood racing movies and some documentaries.
I used to write hyped up movie intros and post them on some forums to get people to show up.
All of our movies had one thing in common... They all had the three "Rs" racin' wreckin' and romancin'
Here are some of the movie intros I wrote.

THE BLONDE COMET
Before there was Janet, Desire’, Lynn, Sarah, and Danica, there was the Blonde Comet.
Beautiful blonde girl race car driver leaves the euro Grand Prix circuit to race the California dirt ovals
Drivers in love.... Mechanics in love ..... Barney Oldfield in an academy award quality performance as the
lovable old Firestone race tire dealer

THUNDER IN CAROLINA
If you missed Barney Oldfield's "academy award quality performance", last night, in "The Blonde Comet", you missed it,.... but..........................you will have an opportunity, next week, to see another "academy award quality performance" by the great Rory Calhoun in "Thunder in Carolina" featuring the beautiful "Carol Post" as the brazen hussy/love interest and the "skipper" as the lovable "one armed" mechanic in this fabulous tale of 50s stock car racin', moon-shine drinkin', wife stealin', singin', wreckin', partyin', scufflin', bumblin' mechanics, 50s style groupies, shady promoters, evil car owners, stereotype 50s drivers, classic racing cliché’s, out of control ambition and greed, etc. ...................................not to mention, the "Southern 500" at Darlington!
"....... Hey Stoogie! Don'tcha know better'n to eat peanuts in the pits!"

Before there was "days of thunder" , there was "THUNDER IN CAROLINA"!!!

Exactly what is it that you people think is more important than watch-ing some cool old racing films on Thursday evenings at THE SPEEDWAY?????

PLUS SELECTED SHORT SUBJECTS
COLOR BY TECHNICOLOR
BE THERE OR BE SQUARE
MCMXXXXXX.... or MCMLX...
ETC.ETC.ETC.

THE RACERS
Thursday! Thursday!Thursday!!!!!!........... night at the Speedway motel..
How can we top Barney Oldfield in the "Blonde Comet" or Rory Calhoun & "The Skipper" in "Thunder In Carolina"?????? Well, Stop by Thursday night and find out!........... We're bringing in "The Racers"!! Academy award quality performances by the swashbuckling Kirk Douglas, the debonair Cesar Romero, the very cool Gilbert Roland and the cranky but lovable team manager, Lee J. Cobb........... This week's featured love interest is worth the price of admission (free) all by her-self, the beautiful Bella Darvi!!!

See famous actors pretending to be Italians!..... See Italians pretend-ing to be actors!....... See great mid fifties Maserati sports and GP cars pretending to be Boranno sports and GP cars!......... See some of the worst special effects crashes in cinema history and one of the greatest "lines" ever spoken in a racing film (I spit in your crankcase!).............. See animal lover, Kirk Douglas, destroy his very cool HMW sports car at Monaco!........... See them race the Mille Miglia, Monaco and all of the great old GP tracks of the world with no guardrails!...... See the usual greed & ambition, superstitions & cliches', racin', wreckin', and romancin'................ AND SEE IT ALL IN COLOR!!!!!!!
Before there was "Grand Prix", there was "THE RACERS"

MCMLV
Be There or Be Square

THE ROAR OF THE CROWD
In our continuing quest to bring you the finest in Hollywood motion picture entertainment, Thursday night's feature presentation will be.......(insert drum roll here).......... The Roar of the Crowd.

This heartwarming story of a father and his son doing something to-gether (racing cars), stars Howard Duff in his Academy Award quality performance as Johnny Tracy, but ............. this isn't the "big story"! The "big story" is the continuous appearances of Henry Banks, Manny Ayulo, Johnny Parsons and Dennis "Duke" Nalon throughout the film....
See "Pop" Tracy and Johnny race the "Tracy Flyer" coupe' on the beach course at Daytona!!!............ See "Pop" and Johnny destroy the " Tracy Flyer" coupe' in the world's biggest wreck at Lang-horne!!!!............. See Johnny marry the rarest of all women, a woman who is willing to blow the mortgage money on a race car!!!!!!............ See Johnny race the "Tracy Special" champ car on the great dirt miles of America and, finally, at The Indianapolis Motor Speedway........ Also featuring the usual 3 Rs (racin', wreckin', ro-mancin')!!!
Before there was Paul Tracy, there was "Pop" Tracy, Johnny Tracy and the "Tracy Flyer"!!!!!

selected short subjects....be there or be square..... etc.etc.etc.......

MONZAPOLIS
Rare documentary film of the 1957 and 1958 Race of Two Worlds.... Indy roadsters at Monza Italy

Well,This one is so big that it needs no hype!.... This one is too big for Thursday night so we moved it to "date night"
so your wives and girlfriends can see it, too!........ This one is..... (insert drumroll here).............. MONZANAPOLIS!!!!!!!

*See BIG MEN in BIG CARS on the BIG TRACK!
*See Americans claim Euro track records for the first time since Leon Duray,
in his supercharged, straight 8, front drive Miller, hammered the euros in '29 at Montlhery!
* See the Firestone engineers tearing their hair out , wondering why anyone would pave a track with concrete.
* See Pat O'Conner stress the Firestone rubber to its outer limits during tire tests!
* See the greatest display of American firepower in Italy since WW2!
* See chief mechanics scrambling to find their Winchester "set up" sheets!
* See Italian women faint and Italian men run for cover as the big OFFY engines back-fire and roar to life!
* See the "great white hope" of Italy, The "Eldorado Ice Cream" Maserati, in one of its rare appearances, literally,
get blown into the ditch by the American iron!
* See Italian women with children, at the track, looking for their American WW2 boy friends who might be
working for race teams!

Don't wait for this one to come out on video........ see it "first run" at the Speedway Motel Lounge!!!
Before there was Daytona......... There was MONZA!!!!!!
Come on!...... What do you have to do, on Friday night, that is more important than this!

be there or be square...... selected short subject.... etc.etc.etc.

THE GREEN HELMET
D-types, Listers, Masers, Birdcages....... Sebring and the Mille Miglia ......wisenheimer mechanics and sibling rivalry......race tire failures and 50s euro Herbert Johnson Helmets........ wreckin’, racin’, and romancin’.......... beauty, mate!
Since this film is presented in Black and White no one knows for sure who was wearing ....... “The Green Helmet”

ROAD RACERS
This flick, about early 60s SoCal club roadracing, features no name actors and some of the most incredible overacting in movie history. Also featured is an early 60s Devin bodied kit car (equipped with stock steel wheels) playing the part of an expensive Italian racing car and a real Ak Miller built PanAmerican RoadRace car. This film has all of the usual racin’, wreckin’ and romancin’ plus early 60s California Specials, racing at early 60s Laguna and Willow Springs.
See pshycotic leadfoot drivers.... hot girls.... hot sports cars.... racin' wreckin' and romancin'

mac miller in INDY

Edited by mac miller, 20 January 2013 - 20:17.

#308 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 22:38

Love it! What a hoot! And very likely all true!

Tom

#309 fer312t

fer312t

• 793 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 23:27

If anyone has access to instant Netflix (not sure if it's the same selection internationally, but here in the USA) there's a rather neat Speedway Motorcycle film called "Once a Jolly Swagman." Has some quite good period racing footage from the 40's, filmed in New Cross Stadium in London...

Since this film is presented in Black and White no one knows for sure who was wearing ....... “The Green Helmet”

That's quite good :wave:

I'd really like to see this one again...I recall a very dramatic (obviously real) Sportscar accident into Eau Rouge at Spa at the start of the film...Anyone know the details of this incident?

#310 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 804 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:20

Great stuff, MM! :up:

#311 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,090 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 23:16

Death Race 2000

Some "highlights":

#312 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 804 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:11

On Turner Classic Movies...

July 02, Tuesday

4:30 PM
BRAVE ONE, THE (1956)

A Mexican boy saves his pet bull from death in the bull ring by securing a pardon from the president.
Dir: Irving Rapper Cast: Michel Ray , Rodolfo Hoyos , Elsa Cardenas.
C-100 mins, TV-G, Letterbox Format

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049030/

Not a film concentrating on motor racing but I do believe that this flick features a brief sequence, possibly of the LeMans catastrophe of 1955. I saw the film 40+ years ago and recall that the owner of the bull promised it to the young lad but was killed in a race before turning over the bull to the young fellow. Quite a good film, actually, gratuitous racing crash notwithstanding.

#313 racinggeek

racinggeek

• 218 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 21:21

See famous actors pretending to be Italians!..... See Italians pretending to be actors!

Don't know how I missed this before, but that line alone made me :rotfl:

#314 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 804 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:02

I haven't a clue how the following offering on Turner Classic Movies is going to shake out but I'm going to give it a look later today.

"Red Hot Tires"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026917/

Airs on TCM(North America)at 12:15, Thursday, March 27, 2014.

#315 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 776 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:15

Word outta Hollywood is that Mickey Rooney has died at age 93 .

The Big Wheel is a great racing movie

Godspeed   Mickey

Lemnpiper