• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Terry O'Neil

Terry O'Neil

• 81 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 14:50

Hi all Porsche experts,
I'm looking for some help here.
Max Hoffman imported the second Glockler Porsche into America and raced it in 1952.
It appeared at Vero Beach, Pebble Beach, Thompson and Bridgehampton in that year, and at MacDill, Tampa, early in 1953.
A) Does anyone have the chassis number of this car?
B) What happened to the car after MacDill? Karl Brocken drove the car there, was he driving for Hoffman or was it sold to him? Who owned the car next?
Any ideas?
Regards
Terry

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 20:35

Were the Brocken (Illinois) and Hoffmann (New York) cars the same?
In 1953 Dr John Urbas and John von Neumann raced a Glöckler-Porsche belonging to Ed Trego, and von Neumann was also reported to be driving Hoffmann's, while Bill Proctor was also seen in a Glöckler-Porsche

#3 Terry O'Neil

Terry O'Neil

• 81 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 22:00

Hi David,
I was under the impression that during 1952 there was only one Glockler Porsche being raced in the USA (second car built)) and that the third car built didn't arrive with Hoffman until March of 1953.
The car was entered to race at Bergstrom AFB in April, where John von Neumann was the driver.
I think the chassis number of that car was 10447, and I think at some stage was sold to Proctor.
Meanwhile what happened to the second built car? Did that go to Dr John Urbas?
Regards
Terry

#4 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 22:34

I believe that there were a total of 7 different Glockler Porsches, including a coupe that was in the Long Beach, California area around 10-15 years ago.

#5 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:38

Originally posted by Terry O'Neil
Meanwhile what happened to the second built car? Did that go to Dr John Urbas?

If Hoffmann's 1953 Glöckler-Porsche was a different one from his 1952 car, one could guess that the earlier one went to Ed Trego for 1953
Sorry, don't know any numbers

#6 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,543 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 20:31

Sorry for my late reply on this interesting subject. Concerning the Glöckler Porsches I have still much empty space for the overseas appearances. So perhaps this is a good occasion to complete the race histories of the two "export" cars in a combined effort from the two sides of the Atlantic.

So here is what I know:

Altogether the Glöcklers built five Porsche-engined specials (which is not precise as at least the early cars were designed by engineer Ramelow and actually built at the coachwork workshop Weidenhausen at Frankfurt). At the beginning this may have been more or less a private affair, but with increasing successes the Porsche company became more and more interested and the later cars can be in some way regarded as ancestors of the legendary Spyder. This explains also why Helm Glöckler became Porsche works driver as early as 1953 when his fifth and last special was just completed.

The two cars in question are in fact "No. 2" and "No. 3". "No. 2" had been built in 1951 and Walter Glöckler instantly became German champion in the 1500 cc sports car class. At the end of the season the successful car was sold to Max Hoffmann, of whom in my records I find the first appearance at Palm Beach, 08.12.1951:

Posted Image

(picture from German magazine "Motorsport & Motorradwelt")

For Hoffmann I have also the following race participations:

1952 Florida 1 hour (no exact date) 2nd overall
1952 Bridgehampton (again no exact date) 2nd class

Later in 1952 this was the car which was obviosuly sold to Karl Brocken, of whom I have this picture from Torrey Pines, 14.12.1952:

Posted Image

(from Boschen / Barth: "Porsche Specials")

After this I do not know about the car´s further fate.

The other car, which found its way to the USA, was "No. 3". Like its predecessor it was areal winner, which was to be proven by Helm Glöckler (Walter´s brother) with a debut victory at the Eifelrennen on the Nürburgring in 1952. For this car I have noted, that it was driven by Johnny von Neumann at Bridgehampton in May 1953 (no exact date), before it was sold to Fred Proctor, for whom I have a first result for the Giant´s Despair hillclimb (2nd class) for July 1953. In addition I have the following appearances in my records:

25.07.1953 Brynfan Tyddyn - Fred Proctor 2nd class
08.08.1953 Lockbourne Air Base - Fred Proctor 2nd class
06.09.1953 Thoompson Raceway - Fred Proctor 3rd class

After this there is a long gap and then a final appearance for the car, driven by Alex Thompson at Denver in 1958. (No exact date, no result)

Unfortunately I have no picture of this car from a race in the US, so to give you an impression I have to show you one from a German event (Helm Glöckler at the Avus race 01.06.1952):

Posted Image

(picture from East German "Motorsport Almanach 1953" by Rosenhammer / Grassmann)

So perhaps somebody is able to fill some of the gaps?

#7 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 22:10

Not much to add in the way of history, but another photo of a
Glöckler at the Torrey Pines 1952 event, and indication that
another regular TNF poster might be able to add something.

Go to Old Torrey Book 4, bottom row.
Torrey photos

#8 Terry O'Neil

Terry O'Neil

• 81 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 23:06

According to the SCCA magazine, Sports Car, a Glockler Porsche turned up at Hunter AFB and raced on#40 in 1954.
In race 1 it was driven by Lloyd Barton, and in a later race by William Cooper.
Unfortunately there is no picture of the car to back up this claim. It also leaves open the question of which one it was.
Terry