Photo

Please help, book needed to aid restoration...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FBB

FBB

• 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 18:15

Hi there :wave:
I’m new to this message board. I'll introduce myself, my names Hubbell, I live in London in the UK, and I have a great passion for motor sport, both motorcycles and cars. At the moment I’m restoring a touring car. I have been trying to research its history; I’ve unearthed some interesting information recently. Its Renault 5 turbo, which once raced in the Renault ELF cup back in 1987, it was driven by former touring car driver Alex postan, i then believe it ran in British touring cars in 1989, until finally being sold to Eddie Jordan in 1989. I bought it from another touring car driver called Nigel Albon.
I'm currently trying to reproduce its original paint scheme and decals which it would have had back in 1987. I have contacted the previous owner (some of them) and I have a few pictures of the car but they are very vague and not much use, I’ve, however been led to believe that it featured in an article in the 1988 autosport yearbook.
I'm having extreme trouble in locating this book; I’ve trawled through eBay and classic motor sports book sellers, but to no avail. I have managed to find quite a few copies of the 1989 yearbook, so what I need to know is; was the autosport yearbook first released in 1989, or is there in fact an 1988 edition out there, and if so does anybody have a copy?

Advertisement

#2 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 18:38

Originally posted by FBB

I have contacted the previous owner (some of them)...

Have you been in touch with Alex?

#3 FBB

FBB

• 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 19:01

Yes, i emailed alex via another chap, whos name i can't remember. Alex told me about the yearbook.

#4 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:13

You may have to hit the British Library and trawl through back issues of various motor racing mags.

#5 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:01

The "Autosport Yearbook and directory 1990" (which, in part, looked back at the '89 season) describes itself, in its introduction, as being " ... in its second year".

Maybe your car was featured in some other Autosport supplement (they used to do lots of those) or seasonal review, rather than the yearbook?

#6 FBB

FBB

• 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 18:10

Thanks, i had a suspicion that the first edition of the autosport yearbook appeared in 1989, and if that looks back at the 1988 season, then maybe it could be misconstrued as the 1988 yearbook.