Photo

Lost quality?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 18:59

Often on this site and others we appear to always have a "where are they now" thread and topic the best of these compiled on Allen Browns site but these always cover the drivers what about the other less mention bodies of what is suppose to be a team sport
Engineers,designers,mechanics and the like?
We have produced and created in my opinion the best backroom staff in motorsport in the British Isles if in doubt walk around any international paddock around the world and listen to the accents.
So heres my start to "where are they now non driving personnel"
I remember Allan Challis (probably the most practical man I have ever met) from the days of BRM and then he later became chief mechanic at Williams.
Mike Pilbeam still produces quality racing cars.
When working in South Africa half the other teams appeared to have at least one ex Lotus man I imagine they still could be there.
After the demise at Chevron where I say with respect the mechanics and engineers seemed very adapt at "make do and mend principle" I saw Steve Sheldon once at the Isle of Man hillclimb tending a F5000 for Brian Redman I know some of the lads went to Maurer but what of the rest?
Herbie now works with BE but rest of the men from Brabham?
so now you get my drift I appreciate retirement will take place for many of my ex compatriates but I know one who as a cafe and another top engineer who now sells time share etc so let s share your knowledge.

Rodney Dodson.

Advertisement

#2 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 19:35

Originally posted by rdmotorsport
Often on this site and others we appear to always have a "where are they now" thread and topic the best of these compiled on Allen Browns site but these always cover the drivers what about the other less mention bodies of what is suppose to be a team sport
Engineers,designers,mechanics and the like?
We have produced and created in my opinion the best backroom staff in motorsport in the British Isles if in doubt walk around any international paddock around the world and listen to the accents.
So heres my start to "where are they now non driving personnel"

There's already a team bosses/owners/designers Where Are They Now, which includes Mike Pilbeam.

It can be found here:- http://www.oldracing...ory=Teamsstarts

#3 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 21:03

I think Tom Belso is involved with BE too.

#4 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 21:24

After the demise at Chevron where I say with respect the mechanics and engineers seemed very adapt at "make do and mend principle" I saw Steve Sheldon once at the Isle of Man hillclimb tending a F5000 for Brian Redman I know some of the lads went to Maurer but what of the rest?

Rodney,

Steve worked for Alo Lawler in F2 and Group8-Aurora for a while and those who remember Alo's cars from that period will also remember, I'm sure, the superb level of preparation. An absolute credit to team and driver.

#5 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:34

yes Alo Lawlers cars were always pristine

#6 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 13:13

yes Alo Lawlers cars were always pristine

Agreed, and Alo's fully deserving of a thread in his own right I reckon. Any 'fotos/stories chaps ??

#7 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 16:41

Originally posted by Mallory Dan

Agreed, and Alo's fully deserving of a thread in his own right I reckon. Any 'fotos/stories chaps ??

Always a favourite of mine round Aintree. Ran a demolitions/excavations business didn't he? - and raced on a relative shoestring which given the smart turnout and performance of his cars means that something was going right. (At least, he was always competitive in Libre races with Kim Mather for whom money never seemed to be as much of a problem...) I'm not sure Alo was ever going to be a superstar but he certainly didn't embarrass himself when he tried F2 and Aurora. Alo got into F1 cars in quite a big way, ISTR that he had a Surtees at one point and one of the later ground-effect McLarens...

#8 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 18:38

I think the McLaren was a ex Watson M30 purchased from Colin Bennett saw in the paddock at Oulton and it looked imaculate not sure who prepared the car possibly Steve Sheldon but whoever it was deserved praise.
Rodney Dodson.

#9 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:25

Originally posted by petefenelon

Always a favourite of mine round Aintree. Ran a demolitions/excavations business didn't he? - and raced on a relative shoestring which given the smart turnout and performance of his cars means that something was going right. (At least, he was always competitive in Libre races with Kim Mather for whom money never seemed to be as much of a problem...) I'm not sure Alo was ever going to be a superstar but he certainly didn't embarrass himself when he tried F2 and Aurora. Alo got into F1 cars in quite a big way, ISTR that he had a Surtees at one point and one of the later ground-effect McLarens...

Blimey Pete, I'll mention that to Kim M next time I see him.... FWIW, I always thought the opposite, Alo seemed to have a bit of wedge behind him, and usually got new cars, viz Hawke FF, the B29, Lola T462, and later the RT4.

#10 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 15:41

I always got the opinion Alo was doing "alright" inasmuch always good machinery and as said previously had a top man in Steve Sheldon to set up and run which I am sure would not have come for pennies.
Mr.Mather I know little about or who prepared his cars possibly Colin Bennett or Bobby Howlings?

Rodney Dodson.

#11 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 16:28

I always got the opinion Alo was doing "alright" inasmuch always good machinery and as said previously had a top man in Steve Sheldon to set up and run which I am sure would not have come for pennies.
Mr.Mather I know little about or who prepared his cars possibly Colin Bennett or Bobby Howlings?

Rodney Dodson.

Mainly self-prepared by Kim and his trusty mate Chris, Rodney. Even in the days of the Aycliffe sponsorship, when it may have seemed he had loads of £££.

#12 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 20:40

Originally posted by Mallory Dan

Blimey Pete, I'll mention that to Kim M next time I see him.... FWIW, I always thought the opposite, Alo seemed to have a bit of wedge behind him, and usually got new cars, viz Hawke FF, the B29, Lola T462, and later the RT4.

I always assumed that Kim at least had decent backers - the BRM, the ride in the B41 etc...!

#13 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:39

Can not rememer the BRM drive can you enlighten me and who ran the car I am guessing at Hepworth Racing?

#14 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:04

due to oncoming senility I always seem to get mixed up with the Mather March which I beleieve was at first a 772 then the Aycliffe one being 782 with the Dickinson March which I am informed by Paul Haigh was a 792,I do remember Norman having a very good engineer who was either Australian or South African,I suspect the latter because he worked and was a friend of Rory Byrne later in his career and I think worked with Ian Flux when he looked after Graham Duxbury,however Kims BRM drive still baffles me.

#15 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 13:20

Twas a bit before my time, but I think the BRM was owned by Kim's mate David Taylor, thats the connexion Pete. The Durex/Eden B41 drive came about as an 'Award win' for Kim, he put no ££ up for the drive. By that time, end of 79, the Eden Team was a bit of a shambles IIRC, Kim didn't really have a chance in it. The other time he got a decent chance was in the full works 792-BMW at the Brands August meeting, when he really flew... before falling off unfortunately.

#16 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 16:40

due to oncoming senility I always seem to get mixed up with the Mather March which I beleieve was at first a 772 then the Aycliffe one being 782 with the Dickinson March which I am informed by Paul Haigh was a 792,I do remember Norman having a very good engineer who was either Australian or South African,I suspect the latter because he worked and was a friend of Rory Byrne later in his career and I think worked with Ian Flux when he looked after Graham Duxbury,however Kims BRM drive still baffles me.

Colin Bennett was Norman Dickson's "mechanic" in '77 certainly - possibly in '78 as well?

#17 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 20:10

For pics of Kim Mather in the BRM, see this thread

http://forums.atlasf...y=&pagenumber=4

Post 143 by Peter McFadyen