Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:39

I would think that he probably would.

Advertisement

#2052 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,057 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 14:34

I would think that he probably would.

You're probably right, unless Red Bull have a dangerous ladder clause in the contract. Hope you enjoyed the clip anyway.

I believe that Terry Sanger won the saloon race. Am I right in thinking that his is the lighter coloured Falcon, and that the blue one is Roy Pierpoint's? (14 secs. in)

Edited by john winfield, 23 November 2012 - 14:36.

#2053 duby

duby

• 189 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 16:54

sorry if that was here before, but, R5 turbo european championship 1984 -

enjoy

#2054 dandzo

dandzo

• 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 17:16

At the end of the this clip there is an interview with Mika Hakkinen after the race in Imola in 1994 and given the circumctances he was in a surprisingly good mood. But i have a question related to that press conference. About 5 years ago there was like a 20 minutes clip showing the events in Imola on that fateful weekend and there were intervies with Larini and Hakkinen and some questions from the floor where journalists and Hakkinen were joking. I can't find that video anymore. Does anyone remeber that video as well and did someone maybe save it somewhere so that the video can be reuploaded somewhere?

#2055 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 1,485 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 17:44

Never seen Imola '94 from this angle before

#2056 sramoa

sramoa

• 340 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 19:42

Some Hungarian hillclimb videos from 30s years:

1934 Gyón speed record

1932 Guggerberg

1935 Dobogókő

Enjoy

#2057 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,203 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 21:53

Cine footage of practice for the 1977 South African GP.

Poignant shots of Tom Pryce and Carlos Pace plus the BRM each of whom would have their final GP start :|

http://www.youtube.c...ature=endscreen

#2058 sramoa

sramoa

• 340 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:42

About Carel Godin de Beaufort's fatal

#2059 257gary

257gary

• 14 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 14:21

An atmospheric film from the 1974 Le Mans complete with groovy music!

Advertisement

#2060 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,203 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 22:13

German film about Rolf Stommelen

#2061 luca

luca

• 74 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:06

Safety has come a long way.

Black and white footage

#2062 nicanary

nicanary

• 463 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:13

Safety has come a long way.

Black and white footage

All taken at Brands, seemingly during the same season, from the same vantage point. Soundtrack courtesy of BBC records - sound effects #73 racing car exhausts and skidding noises. Takes you back.

#2063 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,846 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 15:16

This may have been posted before. Apparently it's the Thruxton Speed Fair, June 1969: Ford Falcons, Graham Hill demonstrating the Lotus 49 etc. Would Sebastien Vettel we willing to climb a rickety wooden ladder to join the commentary team?

It would appear that facilities for commentators haven't progressed in the last 43 years as it is pretty much like that at a couple of venues I know & love.

#2064 sramoa

sramoa

• 340 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 18:18

Rex Mays fatal in 1949

#2065 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 18:30

A compilation of static photos from various Soviet races from the mid-seventies till the late nineties.

#2066 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 21:51

Rex Mays fatal in 1949

I'll take your word for it - that takes the prize for the clip with the lowest picture quality mentioned so far.

#2067 sramoa

sramoa

• 340 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:40

I'll take your word for it - that takes the prize for the clip with the lowest picture quality mentioned so far.

Sory for poor quality,but I hoped it's interested and better :|

Edited by sramoa, 21 December 2012 - 12:41.

#2068 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 13:40

Sory for poor quality,but I hoped it's interested and better :|

No criticism of you intended, just an observation - It's certainly interesting and historic , it's just a shame it isn't clearer. :smoking:

#2069 alansart

alansart

• 4,057 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 14:02

Not sure if this has been posted before. A short clip of the infamous Formula Ford, Old Hall crash between an ex-anonymous TV star and current F1 Team Manager :drunk:

#2070 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,752 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 14:36

A short clip of the infamous Formula Ford, Old Hall crash between an ex-anonymous TV star and current F1 Team Manager :drunk:

Yes, but who are the illiterate morons who post incomprehensible comments on You Tube?

#2071 alansart

alansart

• 4,057 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 16:36

Yes, but who are the illiterate morons who post incomprehensible comments on You Tube?

...I gave up reading those a long time ago.

#2072 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 17:06

A libel lawyer would have a field day with 99% of the comments normally posted on You Tube !!

PAR

#2073 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,203 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 00:43

Don't think this has been on before. Martin Brundle Sky F1 feature on the real Spa

http://www.youtube.c...ayer_detailpage

#2074 nicanary

nicanary

• 463 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:54

Don't think this has been on before. Martin Brundle Sky F1 feature on the real Spa

That just brought a lump to my throat. Nice to see someone still taking an interest, although I fear that much of the content would be lost on the ADD F1-fans of today. Interesting that Sir Stirling was so enthusiastic about a place that nearly took his life.

On another website someone recently posted a clip from the Italian GP of 1956 with shots of the banking - it was gratifying to read some of the comments from younger fans although the use of English was restricted to "awesome".

#2075 312f1

312f1

• 40 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 22:17

"Shelby Ford GT Willow Springs Testing 1965"

#2076 Bernard

Bernard

• 240 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 22:41

That just brought a lump to my throat. Nice to see someone still taking an interest, although I fear that much of the content would be lost on the ADD F1-fans of today. Interesting that Sir Stirling was so enthusiastic about a place that nearly took his life.

On another website someone recently posted a clip from the Italian GP of 1956 with shots of the banking - it was gratifying to read some of the comments from younger fans although the use of English was restricted to "awesome".

Excellent idea of what Spa was and imagine what it was like on a racing sidecar outfit. The 1968 sidecar Grand Prix de Belgique featured a very competitive race between the BMW outfits of Johann Attenberger and his passenger Josef Schillinger and Georg Auerbacher and his passenger Hermann Hahn. Attenberger lost control on the last lap at full speed down the Masta Straight, hit the corner of a house and then crashed into a pine tree. The twooutfits may have collided before the crash. Unfortunately, Attenberger and Schillinger were killed instantly.

#2077 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,438 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 22:52

So which current drivers won't know that the old track still exists?

#2078 Les

Les

• 2,071 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:08

So which current drivers won't know that the old track still exists?

Well I seen the drivers press conference prior to Spa this year. Some journalist asked the drivers present (including Button, De La Rosa and Schumacher who always goes on about how much he loves the place) if they had ever gone for a drive round the old circuit. They all looked extremely puzzled clearly unaware what the hell the journalist was going on about including Schumacher, which is a bit sad really.

#2079 nicanary

nicanary

• 463 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:51

Well I seen the drivers press conference prior to Spa this year. Some journalist asked the drivers present (including Button, De La Rosa and Schumacher who always goes on about how much he loves the place) if they had ever gone for a drive round the old circuit. They all looked extremely puzzled clearly unaware what the hell the journalist was going on about including Schumacher, which is a bit sad really.

That's shocking. It's not as if they're being asked to drive round it at racing speeds. I believe Mark Webber is fairly enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the sports's history.

Advertisement

#2080 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:51

That's shocking. It's not as if they're being asked to drive round it at racing speeds. I believe Mark Webber is fairly enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the sports's history.

It's the old problem of today's big names only being interested in their sport as and when they experience it. The do seem locked into their own collective little bubble.

It also reflects how F1 has long neglected it's own heritage in so many ways - you wouldn't find that level of ignorance at the Indy 500, where the history and tradition have always been a major feature of the whole event. Some cynic might say in recent years, it's been the only feature?

Many years ago I remember James Hunt passing comment on a vintage racing car doing a demo lap prior to the Monaco GP "I don't know what that is but Murray will..." it was a Bugatti. Not exactly difficult...

James always freely admitted to no real knowledge of the sport before his own era but I understand he later became rather better acquainted with, and appreciative of it's history. One can only hope the same thing eventually occurs to some of those on the grid today.

#2081 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,140 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:28

It's the old problem of today's big names only being interested in their sport as and when they experience it. The do seem locked into their own collective little bubble.

It also reflects how F1 has long neglected it's own heritage in so many ways - you wouldn't find that level of ignorance at the Indy 500, where the history and tradition have always been a major feature of the whole event. Some cynic might say in recent years, it's been the only feature?

Many years ago I remember James Hunt passing comment on a vintage racing car doing a demo lap prior to the Monaco GP "I don't know what that is but Murray will..." it was a Bugatti. Not exactly difficult...

James always freely admitted to no real knowledge of the sport before his own era but I understand he later became rather better acquainted with, and appreciative of it's history. One can only hope the same thing eventually occurs to some of those on the grid today.

I don't think this only applies to 'our' sport - I'd imagine today's footballers, tennis players, snookerists, etc are probably pretty hazy about anything that happened in their sport more than (say) 15 years ago. Not sure about cricketers - or at least, their commentators?

Which is not to say that it's to be condoned, just that it's fairly typical today (whereas JYS was apparently thrilled to have Fangio's autograph).

#2082 nicanary

nicanary

• 463 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:33

Maybe the youngsters should have to do some schoolwork before they're allowed their licence. History lessons etc.. not just the drivers and cars, but the changes to the sport, and the reasons for them. I reckon JYS would be a more than adequate tutor.

The way to understand the playmat circuits of today is to show them the past - Burnenville and the Masta Kink. footage of Niki's fire, the splendour of the old Osterreichring, et al.. I might moan about modern F1, but I do "get it" - I've had enough deaths in my lifetime.

#2083 Les

Les

• 2,071 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 13:38

Maybe the youngsters should have to do some schoolwork before they're allowed their licence. History lessons etc.. not just the drivers and cars, but the changes to the sport, and the reasons for them. I reckon JYS would be a more than adequate tutor.

The way to understand the playmat circuits of today is to show them the past - Burnenville and the Masta Kink. footage of Niki's fire, the splendour of the old Osterreichring, et al.. I might moan about modern F1, but I do "get it" - I've had enough deaths in my lifetime.

The irony of course is that a couple of the drivers in the conference were guys in their forties! You have to appreciate Dario Franchitti's enthusiasm for the history of the sport unlike most of those stuck in their F1 bubble although I'm not sure about Webber's interest in the past. You would have thought that to drive in the sport you would need to know about the past. It applies to fans as much as drivers. Read some of the nonesense posted on Racing Comments and it appears a lot of people think that Eff One was invented by Lewis Hamilton in 2007. Its not really an attitude I understand, after all how could characters like Chapman and his great cars or Graham Hill or great circuits like the Osterreichring or Rouen not possibly be fascinating? Anyway I propose that in future all drivers have to set a course in Grand Prix Legends before they are given a license!

#2084 nicanary

nicanary

• 463 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 14:51

[quote name='Les' date='Jan 7 2013, 13:38' post='6089198']
The irony of course is that a couple of the drivers in the conference were guys in their forties! You have to appreciate Dario Franchitti's enthusiasm for the history of the sport unlike most of those stuck in their F1 bubble although I'm not sure about Webber's interest in the past. You would have thought that to drive in the sport you would need to know about the past. It applies to fans as much as drivers. Read some of the nonesense posted on Racing Comments and it appears a lot of people think that Eff One was invented by Lewis Hamilton in 2007. Its not really an attitude I understand, after all how could characters like Chapman and his great cars or Graham Hill or great circuits like the Osterreichring or Rouen not possibly be fascinating? Anyway I propose that in future all drivers have to set a course in Grand Prix Legends before they are given a license!

Absolutely.Your comments about modern GP fans are spot-on, and only go to prove that Bernie has achieved his goal. A modern sport for a modern generation, organised and presented in a modern manner. Shame it's just a shadow of its former self in some ways.

The odd thing is, when a website for car fans offers up a video of the "old days" a lot of young viewers are fascinated by the dangers and heroism. Awesome! So why don't they do something about it? Or is it just too late, and I know the answer already?

#2085 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 14:56

A modern sport for a modern generation, organised and presented in a modern manner. Shame it's just a shadow of its former self in some ways.

Perhaps that's key to why history is not treasured in F1 circles....it all too easily shows up on the defects of the present incarnation ?

Edited by simonlewisbooks, 07 January 2013 - 14:56.

#2086 nicanary

nicanary

• 463 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 16:02

[quote name='simonlewisbooks' date='Jan 7 2013, 14:56' post='6089269']
Perhaps that's key to why history is not treasured in F1 circles....it all too easily shows up on the defects of the present incarnation ?

On a certain motorsport-oriented site there was a thread about the entry for next year's F1 calendar - I pointed out that it would be interesting to see the entry list for each individual GP. I admit that sarcasm is a poor tool.

#2087 Kop Alonso

Kop Alonso

• 277 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 20:10

I used to love watching these kind of events of Grandstand in the 80's, Nigel & Tony Pond look like long lost brothers.

:smoking:

#2088 bill p

bill p

• 392 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 15:54

Alfa Romeo Monza - turn up the volume! See,

#2089 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,752 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 16:22

Alfa Romeo Monza - turn up the volume!

Ulsterman Andy Johnson's modern replica, I believe, which contains a few original 8C parts (gearbox, rear axle, crank?). Andy certainly makes good use of it and drives it with great gusto.

#2090 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,203 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 22:07

Fun at Fuji !!

#2091 Dunc

Dunc

• 477 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 21:43

Not sure if this has been posted before, but how cool is this:

Two questions: How did they get helmets over all that hair, and what the hell is "McLoren"?

#2092 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:43

Fun at Fuji !!

Didn't know they raced anti-clockwise! Fuji looks a bit different 'the other way round' and the camera angles here give more impression of the undulating nature of the track than any TV coverage I can recall. I notice also the infamous banking isn't in use for this race.

More Fuji fun

this one is listed as being 1973 but the leading cars are Porsche 906s so maybe the caption is wrong? It looks more late 60s than early 70s. This race goes the 'right way round' and does use the awesome banking

#2093 Belmondo

Belmondo

• 155 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 14:00

Two questions: How did they get helmets over all that hair, and what the hell is "McLoren"?

It's a type of Formlia 1 car.

#2094 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 14:22

It's a type of Formlia 1 car.

Hopfully not noo-culler powered...

#2095 PS30-SB

PS30-SB

• 219 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 15:41

Fun at Fuji !!

That's the Ts-a class touring car race, which was on the supporting card of the 1972 Japan Grand Prix ( 3rd May 1972 ). The whole meeting was run anti-clockwise around the Fuji Speedway track, and without using the banked first corner of the clockwise configuration.

#2096 PS30-SB

PS30-SB

• 219 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 15:57

More Fuji fun

this one is listed as being 1973 but the leading cars are Porsche 906s so maybe the caption is wrong? It looks more late 60s than early 70s. This race goes the 'right way round' and does use the awesome banking

It's mis-captioned. It was actually the ( May 3rd ) 1967 4th 'Japan Grand Prix' meeting at Fuji, won by Tetsu Ikuzawa in a Porsche 906 with three factory Nissan R380A-IIs ( Takahashi, Sunako & Kitano ) 2nd, 3rd & 4th. Shintaro Taki was 5th in another 906, Hideo Oishi 6th in another Nissan R380A-II and Don Nichols ( racing under the pseudonym 'R. Clark' ) was 7th, crammed into the topless 'Team Toro' Lola T70 Mk2. Tadashi Sakai was 8th in the third of the Porsche 906s.

#2097 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,203 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 20:49

Didn't know they raced anti-clockwise! Fuji looks a bit different 'the other way round' and the camera angles here give more impression of the undulating nature of the track than any TV coverage I can recall. I notice also the infamous banking isn't in use for this race.

And of course the USAC teams raced anti clockwise when they went there for the non championship race during 1966. Some pictures here courtesy of TNF's Walter Zoomie

http://picasaweb.goo...ceAtMtFujiJapan

#2098 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 20:51

It's mis-captioned. It was actually the ( May 3rd ) 1967 4th 'Japan Grand Prix' meeting at Fuji, won by Tetsu Ikuzawa in a Porsche 906 with three factory Nissan R380A-IIs ( Takahashi, Sunako & Kitano ) 2nd, 3rd & 4th. Shintaro Taki was 5th in another 906, Hideo Oishi 6th in another Nissan R380A-II and Don Nichols ( racing under the pseudonym 'R. Clark' ) was 7th, crammed into the topless 'Team Toro' Lola T70 Mk2. Tadashi Sakai was 8th in the third of the Porsche 906s.

:up: :up: :up:
Many thanks PS30-SB - that makes sense.
Don "Shadow" Nichols? In my ignorance I had no idea he was a driver.
I do like those Nissan's - not a phrase I would normally find myself saying, I have to admit!

#2099 PS30-SB

PS30-SB

• 219 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 22:19

Don "Shadow" Nichols? In my ignorance I had no idea he was a driver.

Not sure he was in the car purely on the strength of his driving ability ( wink wink ).

He must have been pretty uncomfortable in that car. He wouldn't have fitted at all if it had a roof....

I do like those Nissan's - not a phrase I would normally find myself saying, I have to admit!

Nissan have a very interesting history, and will soon be celebrating their 80th anniversary. Prince ( forced to merge with Nissan in 1966 ) were an interesting company too, and those Nissan R380A-IIs were really just a few steps on from the very first Prince R380 ( built around a Brabham BT8 chassis ) and the Prince R380As that followed it. Their GR8 engines begat the S20 engine seen in the first Skyline GT-Rs ( the PGC10 and KPGC10 ) and the Fairlady Z432 and 432-R ( the PS30 and PS30-SB ). I'm a big fan, as you might be able to tell.

Nissan ( actually NISMO ) are busy refurbishing an original R380A to running condition for the 80th anniversary celebrations later this year. They have a great collection of their old race cars, and I'm looking forward to what the coming year holds.

Advertisement

#2100 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,246 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:08

No doubt been posted before, but always worth a second look for those of us of a certain age. Love the commentary - very period - but the colour footage is is very... nostalgic?

1957: Vanwalls at Monaco and Aintree.