Photo

Mike Thackwell's March 793

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 O Volante

O Volante

• 311 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:49

While glancing through some old stuff, I wonder about the March-Toyota Mike raced in the Vandervell and European F3 Series in 1979.
Mike was in Formula 3 for only one year, in a March works entry, one of the 793 "skirt" cars. He won a number of races with it; most notably the BGP support and the Monza lottery.
Here and elsewhere on the net there is a lot of discussion on other March F3 cars, but not the type 793. Who can help with the chassis number of Mike's mount and info on it's fate after 1979? What about the general framework - how many 793 were built, and what happend to them later?

Advertisement

#2 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 13:01

There are several racing in Classic F3, including the ex Bleekemolen car of my mate Iain Rowley. We rebuilt its tub a couple of years ago. Lots of pictures here....

http://www.deltamoto...793_rebuild.htm

#3 Tony Kingston

Tony Kingston

• 77 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:20

Mike Thackwell's chassis was 793/1. The car used from the beginning of the year was the prototype/test car. It had a different roll over hoop than the production versions. This was badly damaged at Snetterton and a new car was built up around a new chassis but still carried the 793/1 chassis plate.
According to Mike Lawrence's excellent story of March, there were twenty five 793s built.

#4 wolf sun

wolf sun

• 842 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:22

You might also want to take a look around here:

http://www.marchives.com/

#5 O Volante

O Volante

• 311 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 19:15

Many, many thanks, folks!
Tony, what's the source of your very welcome information? Somehow involved runing the car??? What event was that at Snetterton? (I know, I'm lazy, with a little more browsing AUTOSPORT I could find out!) And what happened to the car after 1979???

#6 Tony Kingston

Tony Kingston

• 77 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:57

O Volante, e-mail on its way to you.