Photo

OK - now try this one

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,533 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 19:36

During a recent bout of Internet trawling, I found a very interesting site. I'll post a link to it in due course, but who knows what this is in the meantime?

www.alanmorgan.plus.com/WOEIT.jpg

Advertisement

#2 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 19:47

Originally posted by Cirrus

...but who knows what this is in the meantime?

It's butt-ugly! Perhaps at Zandvoort?

(Maybe these 'Try this...' threads should be merged as a theme.)

#3 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,533 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 20:01

Well, you're the boss T-Dubyer. I just started this thread beacause you can search on names and numbers, but you can't search on "Butt-Ugly Racers" and get any meaningful results.

#4 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 20:18

Originally posted by Cirrus

I just started this thread beacause you can search on names and numbers, but you can't search on "Butt-Ugly Racers" and get any meaningful results.

That's a very good point, Alan! :D

Maybe you should devise an anti-G****e quiz themed along those very lines. :up:

(EDIT: I have no idea at all why this post was duplicated the way it was...! :confused: )

#5 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 20:34

:clap: Are you sure this one not is with pedals and a chain?

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,740 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 20:37

No, it's got a two stroke engine in the front driving the front wheels...

FJr did bring out some interesting stuff.

#7 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,533 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 20:53

Care to hazard a guess as to the make of engine, Ray? (one guess only - there aren't that many two strokes to choose from).

As an aside - at last weekends Silverstone HSCC meeting (a typically Autumnal affair on he unloved National Circuit), there were 40 Formula Juniors in the main race, and the four reserves made up the numbers in the Historic Formula Ford event. When you think that the youngest car is 43 years old, that's a pretty amazing figure, and a tribute to the unselfish way in which Duncan Rabagliati promote the interests of FJ worldwide.....

#8 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,883 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 20:59

It has to be a Wartburg...

#9 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,533 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 21:20

I've just passed the original text from the site through Systran, and it would appear that this car actually dates from 1964 - too late to be a Junior.

I'm not really into long drawn out guessing games, so I'll put the answer and link up before I retire to bed.

David B - it's not (quite) a Wartburg. Neither is it from Eastern Europe. There are some pictures of it naked on the website, and the gneral standard of construction looks much better than the outward appearance of the bodywork would suggest. I'll put the pictures up shortly, but the copyright logo will lead you directly to the answer.

#10 wolf sun

wolf sun

• 460 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 21:40

If it weren´t so old, I´d have guessed the car to have something to do with the Oxborrow name...

(*hides from flying tomatoes...*)

#11 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,533 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 21:41

Sorry for renaging on my previous statement. I'll put the answers up tomorrow morning. Here's another oddity. Any ideas? (all will be revealed in 8 hours, or so...)

Posted Image

#12 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,533 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 21:45

If it weren´t so old, I´d have guessed the car to have something to do with the Oxborrow name...

I'm pretty sure it never graced Lydden ! (and, in my opinion, J.O's cars never looked quite that ugly)

#13 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,883 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 21:46

Well, it has J.A.Pearce Magna wheels.....

#14 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,740 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 21:48

Saab is pretty likely, I'd say...

And who's to say it wasn't a privateer effort that just took so long to build that it missed the end of the formula?

#15 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,315 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 22:14

I'd guess the first one's mother was frightened by a Monomille at Montlhery

#16 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:31

DB does Not stand for Douche Bag :rolleyes:

#17 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:43

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Saab is pretty likely, I'd say...

And who's to say it wasn't a privateer effort that just took so long to build that it missed the end of the formula?

Ray, i would say your asumption may be correct on the 2nd point......

#18 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 795 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:40

I dunno but it has a certain charm to it, I find. The lead image link I'm referring to.

Recalling a bit from a long-lost Road & Track mag from the mid-60's, the issue covered the German GP at the Ring and the jouno...Henry III?...remarked that sector times were taken through the Karoussel and the fastest of all during the entire meet was not an F1 car but rather a DKW in the sedan prelim. The jouno mused that FWD may be the answer to greater speed in F1.

Besides, this is somebody's dream come true, isn't it? That it may have lost a little something in the translation from concept to reality is...well...unfortunate? At least it was serviceable.

:)

#19 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,533 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:10

Here's the link to the site I referred to

http://www.racehistorie.nl/

There are loads of atmospheric pictures on it, and quite a bit to read also, if your Dutch is up to scratch. The first car was called Anteater, with a DKW engine. There are some pictures of it without bodywork, and it looks quite well made, although lacking triangulation in the frame.

The second car is, believe it or not, a Lotus 61 with big wheels and a new nosecone. The single downdraught carb, partially obscured by the rollbar, indicates that maybe that was as far as the modifications went...

Advertisement

#20 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,076 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:11

Well, you know what guys.

Based on the backdrop this almost appears like something from the Twilight Zone . :eek:

Could it actually be from that TV series? (Or, perhaps one of the other knock-offs from that time period)

Henry